UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Best thermal for the money?????
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jsamuels
UKC Forum Member

Best thermal for the money?????

Looking at getting a thermal and wanted to get others opinion on what’s the best Coon hunting thermal??? Thanks Joey

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-08-2022 03:53 AM
jsamuels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jsamuels Click here to Send jsamuels a Private Message Find more posts by jsamuels Add jsamuels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

You get what you pay for with them. I haven’t used or looked through them all but I have seen some review videos on YouTube. I have a AGM taipan 15 and it works well for coon hunting. I believe it was 1300.00 range .

Old Post 08-08-2022 05:39 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

ASP 25 if you can find it.

Old Post 08-09-2022 08:14 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
ASP 25 if you can find it.

I agree with this. Had a 25 and when I thought my back wasn't gonna let me hunt anymore sold it. Now I am hunting again and have a 15. It's pretty good but I liked the 25 better. Don't think they are making them any more.

Old Post 08-09-2022 09:24 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

My buddy has a 15 and it seems perfect to me. Keep in mind, that the coon has to be in the tree for it to find him. LOL

Old Post 08-10-2022 12:54 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
My buddy has a 15 and it seems perfect to me. Keep in mind, that the coon has to be in the tree for it to find him. LOL

Donald, just use a monkey like the one in Jerry Flowers tale, it's a win win situation, if the dog is lying the monkey will shoot him plus no one likes a lying coon dog. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-10-2022 05:00 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

Does anyone have and use the 10?

Old Post 08-10-2022 01:37 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Donald, just use a monkey like the one in Jerry Flowers tale, it's a win win situation, if the dog is lying the monkey will shoot him plus no one likes a lying coon dog. Lol. Dave
If every coon hunter had a Jerry Clower monkey, not many of us would have a coon dog after a few hunts.

Old Post 08-10-2022 02:20 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero Dark
New UKC Forum Member

I have the agm 10-256 works pretty good for the money. found many of coon this summer with it that would have never seen.

Old Post 08-10-2022 03:21 PM
Zero Dark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zero Dark Click here to Send Zero Dark a Private Message Click Here to Email Zero Dark Find more posts by Zero Dark Add Zero Dark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DanielCoon
New UKC Forum Member

I have the AGM TM15-384. I bought it because the base magnification is 1.5. I was concerned that a lot of other models are 2 and above. Something to consider. Pulsar makes one that is $1500 and its base is 3x. hard to scan a tree at that magnification standing under it. I bought it with only coonhunting in mind. I didn't feel like I needed more resolution than 384x288 for close range scanning. The TM10-256 might be even better if you're only checking trees since its base mag is 1.0 but the resolution is lower so things might be a little more blurry 30-40 yards out.

Old Post 08-10-2022 05:25 PM
DanielCoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DanielCoon Click here to Send DanielCoon a Private Message Find more posts by DanielCoon Add DanielCoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PreacherTom
I agree with this. Had a 25 and when I thought my back wasn't gonna let me hunt anymore sold it. Now I am hunting again and have a 15. It's pretty good but I liked the 25 better. Don't think they are making them any more.

Should have made myself a little clearer. For me the image on the 25 was clearer, won't necessarily find more coon but you get a little more definitive picture. Use my 15 all the time and find coons with it that I can't find without it.

Old Post 08-10-2022 09:14 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

15 is Best Buy for the money if it’s there you will find it used both not that much difference. Biggest difference is the dog your hunting. If it’s there you will find it.

Old Post 08-11-2022 12:42 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I hunted with a friend last night that had a ASP 25 and I have the taipan 15-384 . We found coons and swapped them back and forth and changed color modes on them. In both of our opinions the ASP 25 was slightly more clear and and sensitive to the heat. With that said I might be able to adjust mine to be better but haven’t really messed with the settings much. In the end the both were able to find the coons that were hard to see otherwise.

Old Post 08-15-2022 01:18 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote