UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Will the three minute tree rule and no leash lock punish the deep and lonely dog?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Will the three minute tree rule and no leash lock punish the deep and lonely dog?

Further will the rule help promote a trailing type dog vs a blow thru the country and pop up a hot one?

Lot of discussion as of late about the new rule changes for UKC that are coming up..

Can you score dogs logically out of order on the way to a dog treed deep if it happens?

Bored - took a couple nights off hunting and about to go stir crazy..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-28-2019 05:04 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

Re: Will the three minute tree rule and no leash lock punish the deep and lonely dog?

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall

Bored - took a couple nights off hunting and about to go stir crazy.. [/B]

By law you have to until nov8 unless it’s a sanctioned hunt.

But winners will continue to win. But won’t be on the leash as long now. Hope pkc follows suit.

Old Post 10-28-2019 05:21 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Night Shift
UKC Forum Member

It’s not how deep they get it’s how fast they do it.

Gr Nt Ch Maniac's Dark Side of the Moon

Old Post 10-28-2019 05:23 PM
Night Shift is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Night Shift Click here to Send Night Shift a Private Message Click Here to Email Night Shift Find more posts by Night Shift Add Night Shift to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
D Terrell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Night Shift
It’s not how deep they get it’s how fast they do it.

That a fact

Old Post 10-28-2019 06:17 PM
D Terrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for D Terrell Click here to Send D Terrell a Private Message Click Here to Email D Terrell Find more posts by D Terrell Add D Terrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

hunts

Dog that will tree 2 coon close, will still beat dog deep & lonely under one coon. Sassy, blue female in Indiana, was proving that before she died this summer.

Scoring out of order may depend on what registry you are hunting in says is acceptable. Lots of walking will still be needed if you have to score in order. 3 minute tree/no leash lock rule is really going to speed things up on casts & wear us old guys out. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 10-28-2019 10:12 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

It is all about how fast they get treed. Lots of walking less talking. How close or how far won't matter as long as you can hear them they will get scored.

Old Post 10-28-2019 11:45 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It keeps an honest strike dog from being punished for treeing coons close as they get to them.

Nothing says they can’t still be independent and indifferent but that dog playing the game of tying up the cast for the win is not going to work.

Tar

Old Post 10-29-2019 12:29 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

If you are carrying a coon dog you will win regardless of leash lock rule I seen plenty dogs tree two singles behind the deep and lonely several times and if they are to deep he may tree three I love the new rule a hustling type dog will destroy the deep and lonely type unless they are super fast

Old Post 10-29-2019 01:54 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

The only time you may score trees out of order in UKC, is if; all dogs are declared treed AND handled. That won't change in 2020.

Old Post 10-29-2019 02:42 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
The only time you may score trees out of order in UKC, is if; all dogs are declared treed AND handled. That won't change in 2020.

Yep but at least if your dog trees a coon close and by time you score it ole blow torch is treed a mile deep you can recut and go score ole blow torch by then yours might have another treed 2 coons beats one coon.

Tar

Old Post 10-29-2019 03:29 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Interesting responses, thanks Folks..

SF91
By law you have to until nov8 unless it’s a sanctioned hunt.

LOL - not if you live 8 miles from the MI line and hunt up there most of October .. Huge benefit for us northern IN guys.. I've only missed 6 nights across the line this month.

Nightshift - that is what I actually had in mind when asking the question.. Deep and lonely blows thru and is treed 5/8 in 10 minutes on a hot one.. Old cold trailer takes 15 minutes to grub one up 400 right handed after trailing it over 500-600 yards.. Still going to be a slight benefit for deep and lonely just due to time burn on the recast..

The new rule could really punish the dog that just flat won't tree with another and blows out of pocket when one gets treed close and with a coon. Now the close treeing dog has a strong probability of treeing two coons to deep and lonely's one.. Huge advantage and eliminates the automatic strike dogs advantage as Tar alluded to.

Pam Johnson/Allen - you all just trying to kill an fat old man.. Haters!!

Bowling I will agree to disagree with you.. Leash lock absolutely will take an honest, trailing hound and put him on the bench for a good portion of a hunt all too often and he will get beat. Happens all the time, but it's the rules for now. I believe this is a huge step in the right direction by UKC.. Be surprised if it is not forced on the the other KC by the membership soon as well..

This could absolutely change the type of dog that is winning the big hunts and we crazy, butted hunters are breeding to. Score card dogs vs coon dogs.. My .02 worth anyways. Not saying deep and lonely are not coon dogs, because they tree a bunch.. But can this current crop of big time winners produce a dog that can take a track away from three other hounds in a cast and tree it first and stay with company? That is a competition coonhound.. Not one who can take enough Ecollar correction to always be deep, alone and not have to compete on trailing the coon up and treeing first.

Rollin Blues - i hunted with your Sassy female once before she died, was a nice bitch for a blue dog .. She won the cast that night by falling treed with just a few mnutes left in the cast and having a coon.. did it right.. Hated to hear she passed.

Great conversatin all, one more night off and back to MI tomorrow night.. My best to you all.

Old Post 10-29-2019 03:45 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Larry Hall

Sorry to say i didn't own her (i tried, but didn't get job done), Steve Kitchen owned her. I have owned half of LOU with him for 3 yrs., but sold my half back to him after Sassy died, so he could keep his line of dogs going in a direction he wanted to go. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 10-29-2019 04:18 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ChrisS22
UKC Forum Member

IMO, it's not so much the distance that's important as it's the dog that gets treed FIRST. I don't care how far Ole Yonder goes to tree his coon, as long as mine gets treed before he does I have the advantage.

My hounds are loners so hopefully what's gonna happen is... mine is going get treed first within 500-700yds, we are going to score him and while scoring mine Yonder gets treed. After we score mine first I'm going to point him the direction of Yonder and before we finish that 3/4mi walk I'm treed again (most likely I'll get treed before we reach Yonder). As long as I get treed FIRST and we don't score dogs out of order I'm going to keep recasting... advantage me!

Old Post 10-29-2019 06:23 PM
ChrisS22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisS22 Click here to Send ChrisS22 a Private Message Click Here to Email ChrisS22 Find more posts by ChrisS22 Add ChrisS22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Chris22 that is the ideal situation I would say. Going to be a fun year I believe.

Old Post 10-29-2019 08:29 PM
rooster731
UKC Forum Member

Alot can depend on the guide, the type dog the guide has and what part of the country your in as well. If im hunting a 100 strike deep an lonely im not dropping you where you can tree behind me. The coons are gonna be deep and deeper.

Old Post 10-30-2019 12:06 AM
rooster731 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rooster731 Click here to Send rooster731 a Private Message Find more posts by rooster731 Add rooster731 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Deep or close, it really doesn’t matter. A dog that can get gone an get treed quick cut loose after cut loose is the ticket. Here’s the thing that’s gonna hurt people. That dog has to have a coon when he parks it . We poke an make fun of the hunts that are won with circle or minus. But the guys that are serious has a coon in the tree.

Old Post 10-30-2019 01:12 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rooster731
Alot can depend on the guide, the type dog the guide has and what part of the country your in as well. If im hunting a 100 strike deep an lonely im not dropping you where you can tree behind me. The coons are gonna be deep and deeper.
Where you find all them deep an deeper running coon at ? 100 strick every drop .

Old Post 10-30-2019 01:20 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Seems like the rules are gravitating more in favor of the preferred type of coon dog...

Old Post 10-30-2019 01:58 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Seems like the rules are gravitating more in favor of the preferred type of coon dog...

For sure the tight to silent dog that’s a loner

Old Post 10-30-2019 03:33 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
For sure the tight to silent dog that’s a loner

Well I don’t like to have to listen to ole ratchet Jaws for two hours either.

Tar

Old Post 10-30-2019 01:22 PM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Well I don’t like to have to listen to ole ratchet Jaws for two hours either.

Tar

Me either

Old Post 10-30-2019 05:23 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I don't like a ratchet mouth either but I also don't want to have a dog working a track not saying anything.

Old Post 10-31-2019 01:58 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
I don't like a ratchet mouth either but I also don't want to have a dog working a track not saying anything.

What I am talking about is they collar those dogs and I guess every drop 4 coons get in a football huddle out there about 5 yards and they cut them loose they all get struck immediately next thing you know they are split treed long distances all over the place and time you get them all gathered the hunts over. Who ever had first strike with a coon wins.

Tar

Old Post 10-31-2019 02:17 AM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

There are so many scenarios that can play out that it doesn’t matter if the dog is deep and lonely or close and covering
As long as you got a dog that will strike,take track forward, locate the correct tree and stay you will win your fair share.
Train the dog not to take stupid minus and your work will pay off with the winner you are leading

Old Post 10-31-2019 03:02 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
It keeps an honest strike dog from being punished for treeing coons close as they get to them.

Nothing says they can’t still be independent and indifferent but that dog playing the game of tying up the cast for the win is not going to work.

Tar

A low end strike dog isn't gonna leash lock nothing if the handler can help it.

I hunt quarter strike dogs all the time, and I rarely tree mine until they turn loose. Last thing we need is to open that strike back up.

Old Post 10-31-2019 03:23 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote