UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How many "good" dogs have you had?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

How many "good" dogs have you had?

I listen to people talk about the dogs they have owned that were "super" coondogs and for some the list is pretty long. It makes me wonder if they are pleased with less than I am. I have only had 4 maybe 5 (one is borderline) that I would really like to have again. One of those I have now. I bought a black dog years ago that had no teeth and only lived a couple of months after I got him but that old dog showed me what a coondog was andI have been looking for one like him ever since. Would be interested in knowing how many you have had. Thanks for any input. By the way, I have been hunting 60 years.

Last edited by Preacher Tom on 04-17-2019 at 04:14 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-17-2019 04:01 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Some coonhunters live in the woods, 7 nights a week. Most hunt half that much. That is the difference between having a bunch of good ones and having a few.
Frank Giddings has had a lot of top hounds over the years and I have never wondered why that is.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-17-2019 04:49 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Jim I don't disagree but I have hunted a lot. One of those guys with a passion for it. 3-4 nights a week pretty much year round and at one time 6 nights a week. I admit that I probably went about it the wrong way. I would buy a pretty cheap dog with a good story rather than a well bred pup and trying to make a dog out of it. I do know that now I start with the pup and hunt it and am having much better results. I will say that things other than hunting have had priority in my life so I have never invested the money that most have. I do know that when I would take my dogs, that I thought weren't as good as they needed to be, to town they would win their share, but at the same time I knew where there was a dog that could beat them every night.

Old Post 04-17-2019 05:08 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

EVERY.SINGLE.ONE

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 04-17-2019 05:35 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

I have hunted for over 50 yrs and all I have ever owned is pieces of sh!!!. tired of it. should have quit long ago. only people I know that has owned good ones are on the web..

Old Post 04-17-2019 05:59 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Five

I have had 5 that I would take back at a heart beat. Dan was my first walker. He taught me what a coon hound could be. I had him in the 1980s. Next would be Dolly. She was Dan's granddaughter. I would have people tell me they had a coon that couldn't be treed. Dolly treed every one of those coons. Her track speed is what set her apart. I had her in the 1990s. The next 2 were actually litter mates out of Dolly. They were Driver and Threat. While I didn't own any part of her, I was also very fond of their sister Tess. Tess won 4 Nt.Ch. casts in a row. Then her owner quit campaigning her. Driver, I swear was hunted in some of the worst weather I ever hunted. My wife worked 3rd shift, and I could only hunt on her nights off. I truly do not recall a time he didn't show me coon. I co-owned Threat, and managed to finish her to Gr.Nt.Ch. She is the only dog that I attempted to finish to Grand. I seen Threat tree coon that the rest of the cast never knew were there. Mr. Frank Giddings was actually fond of Threat himself. The last dog is actually my middle son's dog. Her name is Rain. She was just plain fun to hunt. I often found myself making excuses to go hunting.

I had many other dogs that I enjoyed, but they weren't at the level of the 5 above. They included: Mac and Lady (Lady was my wife's only dog), Hope, Dandy,and Dee. There are at least another dozen who I can't recall right now. What I can say without a doubt is this family of dogs who all go back to Dan has been an important part of my family and my life from 1983 until today. I wouldn't change one of them.

Could any of them win a World Hunt? I don't know because that goal never interested me, and I never tried.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 04-17-2019 06:22 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Had a bunch of dogs that would tree as many coons as anybody else’s dog. But only had two coondogs.

Tar

Old Post 04-17-2019 06:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Had a bunch of dogs that would tree as many coons as anybody else’s dog. But only had two coondogs.

Tar

just curious tar what made those two so much better than your other coon treeers.i understand your standards are high.

Old Post 04-17-2019 07:31 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I like the word Jennifer came up with ( indifferent ) just didn’t have bad nights and didn’t matter if you were hunting with good dogs or junk. The rest shined some nights some nights they looked like dookie.

Tar

Old Post 04-17-2019 07:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

2 total different style dogs. 1 was quick strike quick tree run up big score. Always coon dog but thicker coon better she was. Loved hunting her on water in summer. Flat tree some coon.

Other slow get struck and was goin check hard before got treed but always good about having coon. She finish lots track other dogs pull up short on. On a old cold night and thin coon she was as good as could be. Rig dog deluxe!! Had her when I was younger and not comp hunting.

Both was coondogs and both different as night and day.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 04-17-2019 08:05 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

The higher ones standards the lower this number will be! I have owned 3 and hunted with a couple more in over 50 years of hunting. Dave

Old Post 04-17-2019 08:06 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Tar, I think that is the difference. What most people call coondogs are good 75% of the time, but a real coondog is good 98% of the time. What I have falls in the 75% category.

Old Post 04-17-2019 08:07 PM
yadkintar
Banned

The young dog I have now falls way short of my standards but we ain’t hitting the competition trail every week. We are just having fun so I don’t expect greatness he sure has been a fun pup I enjoy him being a knuckle head sometimes and he thinks I am the best. He try’s hard to please. His aunt tho if coons are not moving will walk your guts out hard headed heifer lol.

Tar

Old Post 04-17-2019 08:19 PM
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Had a couple, maybe three that I liked, but they weren't that great. Only saw one, maybe two that stood out from all the others, and during the late 90's and early 00's I hunted with and around alot of dogs.

My deal was that I always liked "new" better than "good", and didn't hang on to the better ones for long. Had a few that I liked so I let a buddy have them for next to nothing, just to keep myself from peddling them on down the line.

Old Post 04-17-2019 08:51 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

I haven't been at this as long as many of you. I have been at it now for 12 years and once a dog hits 2 years old it better be treeing a coon the majority of the time I unsnap it. Alone or with company and not much bs or wollering from strike to tree in between or it wont consume my time. My time is to valuable to chase around a lost cause.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 04-17-2019 09:32 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

I had a English Male called Doc Holliday in the 80's and a B&T called Jack in the 90's that was my best, but I finally have another 1 that I enjoy , but I had to switch over to a Walker. So I'm averaging 1 good Hound every 12 years. I sure couldn't even attempt to count how many I've culled in 36 years

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 04-17-2019 09:41 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Had

Several good ones. Only one COONDOG!!!!!!

Old Post 04-17-2019 09:59 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

0!!!

Old Post 04-17-2019 10:39 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jason/ole hoss

If you ever get what you call a good one, I really want to hunt with it, I can guarantee it will be something special. Dave

Old Post 04-17-2019 10:51 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

0 for me as well. I have liked a few real well that I owned and a few I didn't own.
But 1 and just 1 that stands out way ahead of any other and I didn't own it but hunted with him many nights.

Old Post 04-18-2019 12:30 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

none, I don’t even believe I’ve seen a true life coon dog. Maybe I have high standards, but I don’t think I do. You would think it would be simple but I reckon not. I’m starting to question if they even exist.

Old Post 04-18-2019 12:40 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

From reading this post I wonder why you fellas even hunt lol

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 04-18-2019 01:22 AM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Re: Jason/ole hoss

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
If you ever get what you call a good one, I really want to hunt with it, I can guarantee it will be something special. Dave

I got him in my mind I just ain’t seen it yet!! lol

Old Post 04-18-2019 05:25 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

I haven't had one as good as I wanted but have had a handful over my lifetime that was as good as most that were supposed to be tops in their time on given nights anyway....lol....I'm old and lazy anymore as long as it will hunt and tree a coon not leave the country or run all night and is fairly accurate I'm good. I'm not hunting for hides rarely hunt with anyone other than grandkids so it takes a lot less to stay here than it did in yesteryear.

Last edited by Adams, Harold on 04-18-2019 at 09:01 AM

Old Post 04-18-2019 08:58 AM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Maybe I’m easier to please but don’t think so...I bought quite a few pups in my younger years and most of the time I gave them away because I didn’t like them for one reason or another...traveled many miles and then I decided it was best to breed my own so I could get what I wanted...one day I lucked out and got some really good dogs and tweaked them a little and then I had dogs I was pleased with...

The best thing is that we know exactly how the sire and dam hunts...we observe the pups as they grow ...keep three or four pups that we like best at that time...continue to cut back until I have what I want...that worked pretty good for me...

I can say I’ve had at least 10 I liked fairly well...

In a couple years I lost a few to accidents...heat exhaustion and age...and sold the rest...

And then I got back in the game... I am 11 years in this go around and I have decent dogs but not satisfied with them at this time maybe in 5 more years...

Old Post 04-18-2019 10:25 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote