UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Who else believes ?
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Genetics

Genetics deals the cards, environment plays the hand. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-14-2019 08:18 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Hunting a dog does NOTHING to prove they will be a reproducer. The one and ONLY way to find out if any dog will be a good reproducer is to breed that dog.

They will breed to the average of their litter more than they breed towards an outstanding litter mate or a dud litter mate.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 04-14-2019 08:51 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

If it's the on;ly pup in the litter that wont tree would you still breed it? Can you tell by looking?

Old Post 04-14-2019 09:16 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Think I would buy my pup off Richard Lambert

Old Post 04-14-2019 09:17 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Genetics

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Genetics deals the cards, environment plays the hand. Dave

What I said in a bunch of words in 8 words. Exactly Dave.

Old Post 04-14-2019 09:26 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
Hunting a dog does NOTHING to prove they will be a reproducer. The one and ONLY way to find out if any dog will be a good reproducer is to breed that dog.

They will breed to the average of their litter more than they breed towards an outstanding litter mate or a dud litter mate.

Ding, ding , ding what he said !!

Tar

Old Post 04-14-2019 09:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I guess since its all genetics cloning is a guarantee

Old Post 04-14-2019 09:41 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I watched a special on a guy cloning polo horses and it works from polo match to polo match he said it’s like riding the same horse.

Tar

Old Post 04-14-2019 09:45 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I watched a special on a guy cloning polo horses and it works from polo match to polo match he said it’s like riding the same horse.

Tar

Was it on CNN?

Old Post 04-14-2019 09:48 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
Was it on CNN?

He is a really famous polo player I can’t remember where from.

Tar

Old Post 04-14-2019 09:51 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Was he offering to sell the polo horse?

Hunting a dog does not "prove" that it is a reproducer but it does tell you if it is worth breeding to find out. If you hunt a dog and it is a nice coon dog, it might be a nice reproducer. If you hunt a dog and it isn't a nice coon dog, it isn't going to be a nice reproducer.

Old Post 04-14-2019 10:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I told this story before. When I moved here there was an old boy had a walker dog and he wasn’t worth a quarter wouldn’t even bark at a cage coon. He accidentally bred a female and the pups were pretty so people took them they all made outstanding coon dogs they bred a lot of different females to him and he reproduced top coondogs on all of them.

Tar

Old Post 04-14-2019 10:39 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I told this story before. When I moved here there was an old boy had a walker dog and he wasn’t worth a quarter wouldn’t even bark at a cage coon. He accidentally bred a female and the pups were pretty so people took them they all made outstanding coon dogs they bred a lot of different females to him and he reproduced top coondogs on all of them.

Tar

If they could of kept cloning him to this day, would he still be producing top hounds?

Old Post 04-14-2019 10:43 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar. Good question but you should of just left it at that. Once you compared your electropetrothermal engineeing brother to a big dummy it sounded like double talk. I got confused. No matter what the genetics are. Some siblings can come up short on the genes it takes for their elevator to reach the top. Doing due diligence you hunt them. Seek them out and remove them from the gene pool. The truth is s lot of good blooded females are only evaluated for a fee favorable coon treeing traits then bred. Some are not evaluated at all. Best answer is to breed proven coon treeing females. The faults and aggravation given to owners a female has it what turns up to haunt the breeder and future pup owners. Not that they can tree a coon but their aggravation thats overlooked by just keeping one in a pen and throwing food at it.
Mixing paint you mix black and white to get grey. Breeding dogs you get either/or. The secret is breed then and eliminate the negatives. That is why good females are the preferred method. Their negatives have been eliminated and verified to be gone snd they bring good genetics into the breeding. There is a difference in tree a coon and treeing a coon and also having the genetic makeup to earn the title of being worthy to be bred to.

Old Post 04-14-2019 10:44 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Some dogs make treeing a coon look harder than it really is ! When you get a dog that can use its brain more than its sniffer male or female that is a desired trait to me.

But that trait being passed down was decided at birth.

Tar

Old Post 04-14-2019 10:53 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
If they could of kept cloning him to this day, would he still be producing top hounds?

Absolutely he would still be producing top hounds.

Now could HE be different, yes environment plays a role in development but it has no effect on the genes he throws to his offspring.

Old Post 04-14-2019 11:02 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Absolutely he would still be producing top hounds.

Now could HE be different, yes environment plays a role in development but it has no effect on the genes he throws to his offspring.

And that was my point, the environment starts working long before birth. Put the pregnant bitches in the woods

Old Post 04-14-2019 11:16 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Hot Doggie!! Richard, Bruce and myself agree with each other!! Maybe we should start teaching class that would cover Tennessee to the Carolinas all the way down to Florida. Tar we might even let you attend if you will sit on a stool in the corner and promise to behave. Then again if Bruce starts using words like electropetrothermal I might have to take an advanced English course before we start.

Old Post 04-14-2019 11:30 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Tar.....Once you compared your electropetrothermal engineeing brother to a big dummy it sounded like double talk. I got confused....Some siblings can come up short on the genes it takes for their elevator to reach the top. Doing due diligence you hunt them. Seek them out and remove them from the gene pool.....

Now I am confused. Are you suggesting that Tarbaby should have been removed from the gene pool?

Old Post 04-15-2019 12:17 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Now I am confused. Are you suggesting that Tarbaby should have been removed from the gene pool?

I think he said I was a subliminal messaging electropetrothermaloligest ! Either that or he smoked his B12 today!

Tarbaby

Old Post 04-15-2019 12:32 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, now you are confused. He said that you were a subliminal terrorist.

Old Post 04-15-2019 02:01 AM
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Tar how dare you cloud the issue with facts , you must be one of those climate change deniers. LOL! Good post by the way , I just take em to the woods young squirrel hunt them in the early morning has pups come fall and winter hunt them hard together , alone it don't matter they are either independent or they ain't. JMHO

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 04-15-2019 02:37 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Dang it sounds like Dave, Tar , Bruce and a few more actually agree on something , look out lighting may strike and a Bluetick will win the World hunt this year.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 04-15-2019 02:43 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Tom , when so many agree on something who normally disagree , we just might have a possum world hunt one day. Now wouldn't Jerry Clower be proud. See you this week sometime buddy.

Old Post 04-15-2019 02:47 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I believe that environment plays a role during gestation...certain genes can be turned on or off because of changes in the environment...epigenetics is fairly new and lots of findings are being discovered...I would say hunt the female until the day she stays in the whelping box...treat her with love and kindness...handle the newborn pups as much as possible...

A hunting dog is born and not made...and a great hunting dog can be tweaked to be a better hunting dog or not depending on the handler...

Like some have said on here already...I have given away a pup that tested pretty good at 8-10 weeks and my brother wanted a good blood tracker...I gave it to him and at 2.5 years he gave him back to me because he didn’t do anything with him... I put him in the bay pen one day and he looked like a champ...the next day he struck with the other dogs...took his own track and swam a wide river and was bayed on the other side...within a month or so he was as good as the rest of the pack...he actually seemed as good from the beginning...I just needed to verify consistency...

Old Post 04-15-2019 03:22 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote