UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Venomous snakes
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rattlesnakes

How many coon hunters encounter rattlesnakes while coon hunting? I know that rattlesnakes are most active at night when it cools down. Hunting in rattlesnake country is most dangerous at night. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-2022 10:13 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Richardson
UKC Forum Member

[url=

NITECH CH 'PR' MILL CREEK BO-R.I.P.
NITECH CH 'PR' HOUSE'S SCREAMIN NELL

Old Post 06-17-2022 12:45 AM
David Richardson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Richardson Click here to Send David Richardson a Private Message Find more posts by David Richardson Add David Richardson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

In West Texas

Rattlesnakes were everywhere. Wasnt anything to see 4 or 5 while out dove hunting or quail hunting. We kept running dogs and kept blasting snakes. Never had one bit. Lucky I guess

Old Post 06-17-2022 03:09 AM
Ehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ehill Click here to Send Ehill a Private Message Click Here to Email Ehill Find more posts by Ehill Add Ehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by David Richardson
[url=

Timber rattlesnake.

Old Post 06-17-2022 05:46 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: In West Texas

quote:
Originally posted by Ehill
Rattlesnakes were everywhere. Wasnt anything to see 4 or 5 while out dove hunting or quail hunting. We kept running dogs and kept blasting snakes. Never had one bit. Lucky I guess

You guys are definitely more dedicated to hunting than myself. Seeing that many snakes would make me turn around and go home. My hunting in rattlesnake country is in the colder months when the snakes are denied up. Dave

Old Post 06-17-2022 05:49 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Dave, you just don't know how to handle a rattlesnake. There's a video on Youtube where a man gets behind a rattler, grabs him by the tail, and pops him like a whip. It crushes the snake's head. Watch that video, go out and practice on a few rattlers, and your worries are over.

Old Post 06-17-2022 03:03 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Donald I did that with blacksnakes when i was young. Several years ago I saw a black headed up a tree headed to my bluebird box. Figured it was like riding a bike so I grabbed it by the tail, swung him around till he stretched out then gave him a whip. Somehow it didn't go as planned as he had a mouthful of arm right at my elbow and was hanging on like a pitbull. Needless to say if i ever see the need to kill a blacksnake I use a different method.

Old Post 06-17-2022 04:30 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Dave, you just don't know how to handle a rattlesnake. There's a video on Youtube where a man gets behind a rattler, grabs him by the tail, and pops him like a whip. It crushes the snake's head. Watch that video, go out and practice on a few rattlers, and your worries are over.

Donald, I have seen that video and I think that I am going to pass on that method of killing rattlesnakes. I shoot them from a safe distance. Giving them a dose of their own medicine lead poisoning. Lol. Dave

Old Post 06-17-2022 09:38 PM
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

We run into rattlesnakes and copperheads fairly regularly down here in South Texas. We don’t shoot them. We usually beat them to death with a dog chain. I always carry a nylon leash that has a section that is chain. Works great for killing snakes.

Old Post 06-18-2022 01:23 AM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

My stepson

Makes a good amount of money in TX catching them for businesses and around/under peoples houses. There's sure plenty of em.

Old Post 06-19-2022 02:31 AM
Ehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ehill Click here to Send Ehill a Private Message Click Here to Email Ehill Find more posts by Ehill Add Ehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

That first snake is a monster…my brother and I killed one that looked about that size many years ago…
It was our first hunt in the place we were starting to hunt and that snake was at least 2.5” in diameter and around 6 ft. Long…and it wasn’t long we saw how thick they were in that area…after about the fifth or sixth hunt we quit going there on account we saw 3 to 5 rattlesnakes each time…the average size snake we saw were a little over 4 ft long…

Old Post 06-19-2022 04:23 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
That first snake is a monster…my brother and I killed one that looked about that size many years ago…
It was our first hunt in the place we were starting to hunt and that snake was at least 2.5” in diameter and around 6 ft. Long…and it wasn’t long we saw how thick they were in that area…after about the fifth or sixth hunt we quit going there on account we saw 3 to 5 rattlesnakes each time…the average size snake we saw were a little over 4 ft long…

Rueben, I think you made the right decision, it was just going to be a matter of time until you or your dogs got bit. Dave

Old Post 06-21-2022 02:19 AM