UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > Long Live Lipper
Pages (9): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
texhog
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by V. Cannon
Kelley, I didn't say he was a sorry dog. I wrote that some of his pups had problems.

Rank and Lipper was a lot alike in at least a couple ways, both having bawl mouth and being male walkers.

Ranks sisters wasn't typical Lipper females, they produced far better pups than average.

Look, I am not a Walker man, but if I was I would be hunting Lipperdogs and nothing else. Lipper had 2 qualities that most other Walkers did not have back then. Big Mouth, and Track Driving ability, Hot or Cold track. Treeing ability is the most common thing in dogs today. Yes Lipper did throw lots of Sorry pups but what dog wouldnt that was bred that much? Also everyone knows for a fact that people would go to Canton Trade Days and wherever else and buy anything that would remotely resemble a Walker female and breed it to Lipper. He may have bred more sorry females than any dog in history. Therefore he should have the most number of sorry pups out there. I will say that he didnt throw many"mediocre" dogs . They were either real good or real bad and no inbetween. As far as Rank goes he probably was a better dog than Lipper from What I have heard. But the only real differences between Lipper and Rank were 1. Rank was straight and Lipper was not. and 2. Rank wouldnt open much on the ground and Lipper would. and 3. Rank was a harder treedog from what I have been told. What I have seen that makes me think more of Lipper bred dogs is this...of all the sorry Walker dogs I have seen, Lipper bred or Not, they all are the same, but of all the ones that would pass for coondogs, Lipperbred dogs are the only ones that I would own.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-21-2008 06:00 AM
texhog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for texhog Click here to Send texhog a Private Message Find more posts by texhog Add texhog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bandithunter
UKC Forum Member

I spent an entire kill season following my sons lipper dog and this is what I saw. Huge mouth, excellent kill dog, ran to catch, easy to call treed, hard hunter, wide hunter not a line hunter, slicked once in an entire season, tough dog. Maybe too tough for some and that may be why some don't care for them. Not the hardest tree dog, but would stay till you got there no matter what. Not much about the hunting I didn't like,it was kennel manners I didn't care for. Had a nose like a good blue dog and knew how to use it. I've hunted with walkers outa other big name studs..............I've shot better.

Old Post 08-21-2008 12:34 PM
bandithunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bandithunter Click here to Send bandithunter a Private Message Click Here to Email bandithunter Find more posts by bandithunter Add bandithunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bandithunter
UKC Forum Member

One more thing, this dog did what I saw after he had heartworms and lyme disease. He had grit.

Old Post 08-21-2008 12:45 PM
bandithunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bandithunter Click here to Send bandithunter a Private Message Click Here to Email bandithunter Find more posts by bandithunter Add bandithunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Million $ Ben
Banned

Re: 'Ole Lipper

quote:
Originally posted by Lipperman
Here we go again. He was what he was, no changing that. Some hated him, some loved him. There are not many men that have had as many Lipper dogs as I have, and I liked most of them. However, the pile of bones in the bottoms behind my place that were once Lipper dog culls is still bigger than any of the other stud dog cull piles. This subject has been beat to death over the years. I will say this again, you had to make sure that when you backed a bitch up to Lipper that she was an outstanding, stay put treedog. Just because she had the right kind of plumbing and was turning oxygen into CO2 did not mean you would get a litter of world champions. Guess what, it is the same today. That's why we have so many sorry Walker hounds around today. There are no shortcuts. No one seems to want to do their homework.

EXACTLY!! Give me a dog that is heavy Lipper Bred and 8 times out of 10 he will make a decent coondog. I will take some old,thick ,heavy Lipper bred dog over any of these new "fad" dogs throwing fighting machines and mouthy mutts making up tracks until they finally find a coon any day of the week.

Old Post 08-21-2008 12:55 PM
Million $ Ben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Million $ Ben Click here to Send Million $ Ben a Private Message Find more posts by Million $ Ben Add Million $ Ben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Davidson
UKC Forum Member

that lipper and stylish beck cross has been awesome so has liquid smoke females and strong lipper females have turned out great i have a full sister to beck the is nitech i am going to breed to lipper soon

HOME OF PERF. SIRE, SS SIRE
GRNITECH ICE COLD SWEAT BEAD
2011 UKC WORLD HUNT TOP 20 FINALIST

YOU DON'T GET TO THE TOP BY SITTIN ON YOUR BOTTOM!!!!!!

JOSH DAVIDSON 304-654-6819

Old Post 08-21-2008 03:06 PM
Josh Davidson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Davidson Click here to Send Josh Davidson a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Davidson Find more posts by Josh Davidson Add Josh Davidson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Brickles
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: 'Ole Lipper

quote:
Originally posted by Million $ Ben
EXACTLY!! Give me a dog that is heavy Lipper Bred and 8 times out of 10 he will make a decent coondog. I will take some old,thick ,heavy Lipper bred dog over any of these new "fad" dogs throwing fighting machines and mouthy mutts making up tracks until they finally find a coon any day of the week.

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!!!!!

CH PR TREE TALKIN PORK CHOP (2ND, 2- 3RDS,4TH) UKC
PR SERAS TREE TALKIN DELILAH
PR VIPERS DEADLY BLACK MAGIC (B&T)

Old Post 08-22-2008 02:11 AM
Ron Brickles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Brickles Click here to Send Ron Brickles a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Brickles Find more posts by Ron Brickles Add Ron Brickles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fox Valley
UKC Forum Member

Jackback,

The way I see it, your dog is more a Lipper dog than a Rat dog and probably better off for it. You can knock Lipper for all his faults, and He had them, tell me more about breeding Coon Dog to Coon Dog to get your next great hound, what Lipper did was Reproduce "Reproducer's" , same as RANK, he reproduced "Reproducer's", I have NEVER in the past 30 + years of tracking hounds seen a hound like Rank as far as his Reproducing Daughters who have Reproduced more Outstanding Reproducing Studs. So what is that, but Lipper Grand Son being a Great reproducers, The same as what gets me is people always repeating the old "I'll hunt with your bitch and if she is a Coon Dog, I'll beed her to my stud". The Best reproducing female dogs I've ever known had shown at a young age to be a Outstanding well breed young hound & then put on the back pen for breeding stock to never be hunted again. And they Reproduced Coon dogs, from just a 2 - 4 year old "PR" dog that has never been put in a hunt & probably can't "Today" tree a coon, here comes a litter of Nite Ch, & Gr, Nite Ch. ; Don't get me wrong now I know that alot of Great Reproducing Females, Pearl, Fern, Abby, Dixy Were Coon Dogs, and they were hunted up all the way through, but hunted or not, breed to the same studs, they would still reproduce the same hounds as if they would if never hunted at all.

Acording to "X" & "Y", your Buddy Dog getts alittle more from Mom'a, As daughters of Rank get alittle more from daddy, so to me, Buddy is more a Lipper Dog than a Rat, Jr. Dog.

Conrad, That Roster dog is about as good looking hound as Ive ever seen, can you post a 3 gen on him?

Last edited by Fox Valley on 08-22-2008 at 03:14 AM

Old Post 08-22-2008 03:06 AM
Fox Valley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fox Valley Click here to Send Fox Valley a Private Message Click Here to Email Fox Valley Find more posts by Fox Valley Add Fox Valley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackback
UKC Forum Member

Fox Valley-

Along the lines of what you are talking about as far as reproducing females. From what I have heard, Buddy's dam, NTCH Sasha's Natural Bell was just an ok dog. I dont think that she was even hunted that much. I know that she was bred to Sackett, Jr. once. I dont know the results of that cross, but Bell was bred to Rat three times. Those three litters produced 13 pups. Out of those 13 pups, 5 made GRNTCHs and 2 made NTCHs. I take that as a decent reproducing percentage. Thats not counting the other 6 that never received a title but very well could have been coondogs.

As for Buddy, he has alot of traits that come from both Rat and Lipper. Some nights he favors more than the other. He definately has the big Lipper mouth. He's also built like Lipper.

All in all, you could take his titles away and throw away his papers and he'd still stay here until the end. I've had alot of fun following through the woods!!

Old Post 08-22-2008 05:21 AM
jackback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackback Click here to Send jackback a Private Message Click Here to Email jackback Find more posts by jackback Add jackback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeO
UKC Forum Member

i dont understand how you can give credit to lipper when rat sired that dog....rats the no 1 reproducer for a reason...im sorry but lipper doesnt rank with rat say what you want about rat but you cant say he didnt reproduce that statement would be ridiculous.

And the pup 'pr' Owen's Rock River Ace...

Mike Owen owner/handler. hunting in style (WALKER STYLE)

Old Post 08-22-2008 06:26 AM
MikeO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MikeO Click here to Send MikeO a Private Message Click Here to Email MikeO Find more posts by MikeO Add MikeO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Davidson
UKC Forum Member

85% of what rat reproduced are only hunted in the summer time they win but fall off the earth when the leaves fall off that happens for reason

HOME OF PERF. SIRE, SS SIRE
GRNITECH ICE COLD SWEAT BEAD
2011 UKC WORLD HUNT TOP 20 FINALIST

YOU DON'T GET TO THE TOP BY SITTIN ON YOUR BOTTOM!!!!!!

JOSH DAVIDSON 304-654-6819

Old Post 08-22-2008 01:48 PM
Josh Davidson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Davidson Click here to Send Josh Davidson a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Davidson Find more posts by Josh Davidson Add Josh Davidson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

When Lipper was hot, my main hunting buddy was an older fellow who was good friends with Joe House, and was back and forth down there all the time.

I hunted with a boat load of Lipper dogs.

The ones I liked best were out of old Finley River blooded bitches. They needed a shot of cold blood

Too many of the straight House bred ones were pretty much like Voyd described.

That was my experience and my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

He did put drive and big, screaming mouths in his pups, and at that time, the Walker breed was in need of both.

I also thought the Lipper dogs were good looking scamps, big stout hounds with good running gear.

Old Post 08-22-2008 02:06 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

John, I think Joe sold Lipper because of his pups.

Old Post 08-22-2008 08:48 PM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melanie H.
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Travis Stirek
Heres a pedigree for a female we have and man are her pups awesome.
************GrNtCh Houses Tom Tom
**********GrNtCh Houses Clint
************NtCh Kentucky Judy
********GrNtChGrCh Houses Lipper
************GrNtCh Shives Goldhill Tom
**********Houses Queen Lou
***********NtCh Shives Goldhill Lou(Yadkin River Jeffs 1st aunt)
******GrCh Rough Rv.Lip's Ozark
************GrNtCh Houses Clint
**********GrNtChGrCh Houses Lipper
************Houses Queen Lou
********Lippers Kate
************GrNtCh Shives Goldhill Tom
**********Laniers Kate
************Johnson's Queen(Houses Chief grandaughter)
Rough River Jewell
**********NtCh Yadkin River Jeff(Houses Bawlie great grandpup
*********GrNtCh Yadkin Tar Rattler
***********NtCh Tar Heel Peggy
********GrNtCh Nocturnal Nailor
***********GrNtChGrCh Houses Lipper
**********GrNtChGrCh Lockdown Lassie
************NtCh Rockers' Banjo Style Babe
*******GrCh Coal Creek Singing Sally
************GrNtChCh Hicountry's Nite Heat
***********Ball's Hickory Nutt Harry
*************GrNtCh Lone Pine Patches
**********River Bottom Sandy
**************WorldNtChGrNtCh Bellars PacMan(Houses Chief)
************NtCh Murrows Slam Dunken Sally
**************Lawsons Kansas Angel

I have a young male out of her and a Southern SoundxLipper bred male and you outta hear him "SCREAM" I had to laugh I had Brent Denniston hunt him for me this spring and he called me up and said"you won't be able to hunt this pup very late any where there is a house within a mile cause you'll wake them all up." LOL At the time he was hunting All Grand Ladies Man for Darrell Sturgell and Ryan Sears asked him what kinda mouth he head compared to Ladys Man and Brent told him he drownd out Ladys Man.They can be idiots but they can sure be exciting and as my signature says,"Your either making dust or your eating it!"

Travis... You still have that female? When do you plan on crossing her on something again? I really like how that is stacked up!

You've only got 3 choices in life, give in, give up, or give it all you got.

Old Post 08-22-2008 09:05 PM
Melanie H. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melanie H. Click here to Send Melanie H. a Private Message Click Here to Email Melanie H. Visit Melanie H.'s homepage! Find more posts by Melanie H. Add Melanie H. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Brickles
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ladycathunter
Travis... You still have that female? When do you plan on crossing her on something again? I really like how that is stacked up!

I HEAR YA!!! I SURE LIKED THAT PEDAGREE MYSELF!!!!!

CH PR TREE TALKIN PORK CHOP (2ND, 2- 3RDS,4TH) UKC
PR SERAS TREE TALKIN DELILAH
PR VIPERS DEADLY BLACK MAGIC (B&T)

Old Post 08-22-2008 09:27 PM
Ron Brickles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Brickles Click here to Send Ron Brickles a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Brickles Find more posts by Ron Brickles Add Ron Brickles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Stirek
UKC Forum Member

I am going to breed her in October either to Rock or his littermate brother(same cross as the young male I talked about) and they are out of a triple Lipper bred female themselves.I am going to have to have Rocks semen tested when he gets home cause he missed some females this summer.Guess you should have used that stud fee before he left Mel LOL if he is sterile Mel we can use it on his brother or something else I have.

Nt Ch Southern Sound Jimbo
Gr Nt Ch Ch Southern Sound Matlock
Gr Nt Ch Strawberry Mt Korn
Pr Strawberry Mt Sadie
The reason I hunt this bloodlines is a quote an old friend gave me,"Your either making dust or your eating it."

Last edited by Travis Stirek on 08-22-2008 at 10:32 PM

Old Post 08-22-2008 10:28 PM
Travis Stirek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Stirek Click here to Send Travis Stirek a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Stirek Find more posts by Travis Stirek Add Travis Stirek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jackback
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Davidson
85% of what rat reproduced are only hunted in the summer time they win but fall off the earth when the leaves fall off that happens for reason

pure BS!!

Old Post 08-22-2008 10:34 PM
jackback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jackback Click here to Send jackback a Private Message Click Here to Email jackback Find more posts by jackback Add jackback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

IF you breed females that aren't lacking , and you would be happy if you had ten of them , then that lipper blood gives that extra ump !! the only other blood that i have personally seen do this is Coma blood .

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 08-22-2008 11:21 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melanie H.
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Travis Stirek
I am going to breed her in October either to Rock or his littermate brother(same cross as the young male I talked about) and they are out of a triple Lipper bred female themselves.I am going to have to have Rocks semen tested when he gets home cause he missed some females this summer.Guess you should have used that stud fee before he left Mel LOL if he is sterile Mel we can use it on his brother or something else I have.

Heck.. I really don't have space anymore for raising pups.. I am down to 3 dogs and have to keep it that way where I am now living..

I was hoping you were saying you were going to breed her this next spring or something like that.. Something that would give me some more time to get a place to have another dog.... I still would like to try and get a female off of that though.. I think it would cross back really nice on my cat dog... Since he is old House and Hershberger breeding...

When I do use it though (the stud fee) I think I am going to dual sire a litter with one of yours and my male.. Then.. I should have what I want in one litter and don't have to raise anymore pups.

You've only got 3 choices in life, give in, give up, or give it all you got.

Old Post 08-22-2008 11:29 PM
Melanie H. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melanie H. Click here to Send Melanie H. a Private Message Click Here to Email Melanie H. Visit Melanie H.'s homepage! Find more posts by Melanie H. Add Melanie H. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MikeO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackback
pure BS!!

yep!!

And the pup 'pr' Owen's Rock River Ace...

Mike Owen owner/handler. hunting in style (WALKER STYLE)

Old Post 08-22-2008 11:46 PM
MikeO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MikeO Click here to Send MikeO a Private Message Click Here to Email MikeO Find more posts by MikeO Add MikeO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
texhog
UKC Forum Member

I am a Bluetick man but have had the oppertunity to hunt with many, many Walker hounds. And like I said before I like the Lipper bred dogs the best. I know the arguement, Rat, Sackett Jr, etc had more Nt Ch's & Gr Nt Ch's, but we all know that really doesnt mean everything. I will say this, those 2 dogs probably produced more consistantly than Lipper but you can attribute that to the quality of females as much as anything. BUT, I think if you took the 10 best dogs that Lipper ever produced and the 10 best the others produced then Lipper would come out on top. I saw a lot of pups out Sackett Jr and Rat( not all pups) that didnt have a lot of go in them but were still able to make Gr Nt Ch., they were good, just not alot of hunt.

Old Post 08-22-2008 11:53 PM
texhog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for texhog Click here to Send texhog a Private Message Find more posts by texhog Add texhog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

Kelley, you might be right about Lipper being the better reproducer when compared to Rat or Junior.

I know practially all of Lipper'and Junior's pups have died off but Rat still has the majority of his pups hunting or about ready to be entered in hunts, Rats pups could end up winning twice what they have won so far.

How does Lipper's pups compare at this time with Rats pups winnings with money, super stakes or world hunts won.

Old Post 08-23-2008 02:37 AM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Million $ Ben
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by jackback
pure BS!!

LOL!! Actually it isnt. LOL!

Old Post 08-23-2008 04:05 AM
Million $ Ben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Million $ Ben Click here to Send Million $ Ben a Private Message Find more posts by Million $ Ben Add Million $ Ben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
John, I think Joe sold Lipper because of his pups.

Joe never sold Lipper. He owned half of him with Tom Hopkins of Marshall, TX. Tom traded House's Lawyer to Joe for Joe's half of Lipper. After that, Tom owned all of Lipper until he sold him to Mac in 1984.

Fear the Crete

The future sure ain't what it used to be!

To whom much is given, much is required

Old Post 08-23-2008 06:14 AM
Lipperman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman Click here to Send Lipperman a Private Message Find more posts by Lipperman Add Lipperman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

Johnny, I thought you owned Lawyer.

Old Post 08-23-2008 06:20 AM
Lipperman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Johnny, I thought you owned Lawyer.

Voyd, I did own House's Lawyer. I raised and trained him and then delt him to Tom when he was just under two years old. Another one of my life's top ten regrets.

Fear the Crete

The future sure ain't what it used to be!

To whom much is given, much is required

Old Post 08-23-2008 06:27 AM
Lipperman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman Click here to Send Lipperman a Private Message Find more posts by Lipperman Add Lipperman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote