UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Counterfeits
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

Counterfeits

What was one of the “Bigtimer” dogs that you always read about but when you hunted with them they were worthless or mediocre?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-05-2021 11:05 PM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brady bean
UKC Forum Member

Fixnn to be some hurt feelings here!!

Old Post 03-05-2021 11:55 PM
Brady bean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brady bean Click here to Send Brady bean a Private Message Click Here to Email Brady bean Find more posts by Brady bean Add Brady bean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I've been with two world champions, breed leaders, state leaders, and as many Gr Nts as the next guy, and I've only seen three dogs that I considered above average. Most are just pretty good dogs with great promoters.
But I'll not be naming names, lol.

Old Post 03-06-2021 02:20 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cory Highfill
I've been with two world champions, breed leaders, state leaders, and as many Gr Nts as the next guy, and I've only seen three dogs that I considered above average. Most are just pretty good dogs with great promoters.

X2, There are very few exceptional dogs and most folks will rarely ever see or own a dog that is truly exceptional every night, year in and year out. I have seen several that looked good at times, but we're not consistent enough to be exceptional. Dave

Old Post 03-06-2021 03:10 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rooster731
UKC Forum Member

A dog that is mediocre every night of the week with a good handler that knows their dogs every move before they make it will win alot of hunts. I wouldnt necessarily call them counterfits since thats yhe name of the game.

Old Post 03-06-2021 04:07 AM
rooster731 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rooster731 Click here to Send rooster731 a Private Message Find more posts by rooster731 Add rooster731 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

80-90% of the nite hunt dogs r counterfeits....jmo

Old Post 03-06-2021 11:50 AM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

In my case, it’s the fat bald headed dude I see in the mirror that’s the counterfeit! I have no room to critique any dog until I get back to hunting enough to do so

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 03-06-2021 01:36 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Vic Stoll
In my case, it’s the fat bald headed dude I see in the mirror that’s the counterfeit! I have no room to critique any dog until I get back to hunting enough to do so

Lol, I'm right there with you!

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 03-06-2021 01:43 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

Had an older fellow tell me years ago that the difference between a good dog and a great dog was a full page add in the magazine every month.

Old Post 03-06-2021 01:55 PM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Will you name the ones that you really liked?

Old Post 03-06-2021 02:53 PM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Old Post 03-06-2021 02:53 PM
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

30 years ago a guy I hunted with that had run the competition trail pretty hard asked me what's the difference in a $500 dog and a $2500 dog. I said I didn't know. He said $2000 and that's about it. I've found that there was a lot of truth in that statement.

Old Post 03-06-2021 03:25 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by PreacherTom
30 years ago a guy I hunted with that had run the competition trail pretty hard asked me what's the difference in a $500 dog and a $2500 dog. I said I didn't know. He said $2000 and that's about it. I've found that there was a lot of truth in that statement.
X2. I might add that who owns them has a lot to do with it too.

Old Post 03-06-2021 08:48 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2nd Mac
X2. I might add that who owns them has a lot to do with it too.

I see that a lot more now because of Facebook

Old Post 03-06-2021 08:52 PM
rocky tanner
UKC Forum Member

log chain leroy loud tree dog no coons seen
and we treed 4 singles that night with our less valuable dogs LOL

Old Post 03-07-2021 03:14 AM
rocky tanner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rocky tanner Click here to Send rocky tanner a Private Message Click Here to Email rocky tanner Find more posts by rocky tanner Add rocky tanner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rocky tanner
log chain leroy loud tree dog no coons seen
and we treed 4 singles that night with our less valuable dogs LOL

Lol. I do enjoy a loud tree dog, but only if they are ACCURATE. ACCURACY is the most important thing that I judge any dog on. I do not care how loud, how many trees they make or anything else they do, if I do not see coons in the trees they make, I do not see a coon dog period.. Dave

Old Post 03-07-2021 03:38 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

So do you ask this question from the perspective of hunting with said dog on numerous nights in the woods or from say 1 or 2 times in a competition setting?

Old Post 03-07-2021 03:48 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by arkansas cooner

Mike Mize hunted a bluetick called Smokey back in the late 90's that was a freak. Looked like a catahoula bird dog cross, but he was the real deal. Could tree any kind of coon with a little more style than average dog. He was the type that would fall treed all around you and make other dogs look pitiful.
Cody Fox had an open spotted walker dog a few years later that was several notches above average. I can't remember his name, but he went farther faster, and cut harder off a tree than anything I've ever seen. He created coons.
I'm sure I've hunted with more good dogs than that, but I saw those two do work regularly that common dogs wouldn't, or couldn't.

Old Post 03-07-2021 12:19 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
So do you ask this question from the perspective of hunting with said dog on numerous nights in the woods or from say 1 or 2 times in a competition setting?

In general, In a night hunt.

Old Post 03-07-2021 02:55 PM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Elite and world class hounds seem to only peek for a short period of time. When they peek they can be unbeatable when the wheels fall off they can embarrass you and look stupid just like anything. Now you can win a big hunt with a average dog but to be in the mix of winning and winning a lot of major hunts there is something unique and special about those hounds. What separates elite from everything else is an elite dog can hit a bref period of a week or a month where they get under a coon no matter the circumstance you put them in and do it fast. There is nothing more a dog can do than do that.

Old Post 03-08-2021 03:01 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boondok Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Ole Mr Clean had to be pretty consistent to do the winning he did. They aren’t born like that very often and he also produced some good hounds as well.

*Buck Creek Fancy
*Buck Creek Rambler
*Ch Blaster's Big Roller...RIP
*Buck Creek Sugie...RIP
*GrNiteCh Buck Creek Hitler...RIP

Old Post 03-08-2021 12:09 PM
Boondok Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boondok Kennels Click here to Send Boondok Kennels a Private Message Find more posts by Boondok Kennels Add Boondok Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jerry Sullivan
UKC Forum Member

Went with a highly advertised stud dog!Saw him tree 9 straight possums on the only night we hunted.

Old Post 03-08-2021 09:47 PM
Jerry Sullivan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry Sullivan Click here to Send Jerry Sullivan a Private Message Click Here to Email Jerry Sullivan Find more posts by Jerry Sullivan Add Jerry Sullivan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

If a stud owner won't show a stud in the woods it's a huge red flag. And when they say to valuable to hunt you can almost guarantee it's counterfeit.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 03-08-2021 10:21 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Pine JB
If a stud owner won't show a stud in the woods it's a huge red flag. And when they say to valuable to hunt you can almost guarantee it's counterfeit.

Disagree there.

I can honestly understand that if a stud dog has won numerous hunts . If dog is retired to the stud pen
Owner and dog have nothing to prove
Breeding in stud pen is more valuable then a customers hurt feelings.

First of all I would rather hunt with his off spring.
Every one wants to say I hunted with old So And So...Me included .
I am not getting what that stud dog is..
I AM GETTING WHAT HE REPRODUCES !

I know of may dogs that were counterfeit but reproduced and vise versa.
Just a tool to measure what you might get in the off spring.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Last edited by benderb4 on 03-09-2021 at 01:06 AM

Old Post 03-09-2021 12:57 AM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boondok Kennels
UKC Forum Member

I agree Bender. I see the importance of hunting with the pups more than the stud. Only reason I would have to see him, is if I was gonna buy him. Although, if possible I would definitely like to see him go.

*Buck Creek Fancy
*Buck Creek Rambler
*Ch Blaster's Big Roller...RIP
*Buck Creek Sugie...RIP
*GrNiteCh Buck Creek Hitler...RIP

Old Post 03-09-2021 01:52 PM
Boondok Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boondok Kennels Click here to Send Boondok Kennels a Private Message Find more posts by Boondok Kennels Add Boondok Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote