UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog won't go ?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Dog won't go ?

How to make a dog go hunt ?? He will run a turn loose and tree it fast as a race horse but take him to the woods and he won't go stands around at you feet all night ...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-21-2018 07:25 PM
Big spike hamme is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big spike hamme Click here to Send Big spike hamme a Private Message Find more posts by Big spike hamme Add Big spike hamme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

How old is the dog? How much or .any times have you done the caged coon thing?

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 01-21-2018 08:02 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

i would take it out and sit down pay no atteion to the dog at all see if he r she get's bored and starts going out or see if it will go with another dog either way i wouldn't waste alot of time on it if it don't show some progrees you say it will tree a turn loose coon you can mess a young dog up by showin it to many turn loose coons hope you the best getting it going

Old Post 01-21-2018 08:04 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

2yrs old....ive owned him for a week ...so not sure of anything before then but I showed him one cage and turned it loose

Old Post 01-21-2018 08:11 PM
Big spike hamme is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big spike hamme Click here to Send Big spike hamme a Private Message Find more posts by Big spike hamme Add Big spike hamme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Big spike hamme
2yrs old....ive owned him for a week ...so not sure of anything before then but I showed him one cage and turned it loose
yep !! keep at it that will get him going !! lol

Old Post 01-21-2018 08:50 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

I've also taking him hunting 3 nights !!! Don't be a smart$#@!!!

Old Post 01-21-2018 08:51 PM
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

yep

more cage coon !! you!!! well sweet heart !!

Old Post 01-21-2018 08:58 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Wow chew

Already drunk at 3 in the afternoon lol...

Old Post 01-21-2018 09:01 PM
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

i wouldn't spend to much time on a 2 yr old dog even if he wasn't messed with any should at least be going out for a bit but if he's not leaveing your feet id cut my losses and get something else jmo

Old Post 01-21-2018 09:01 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

Re: yep

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
more cage coon !! you!!! well sweet heart !!
you sorta got to look over chew & tar they like to stir the pot lol

Old Post 01-21-2018 09:03 PM
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Doesn't bother me ...

To be honest it's guys like them is the reason I post for advice ...they have alot of knowledge just wish it didn't have to be filtered through lol....

Old Post 01-21-2018 09:05 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Hunt him with another dog that hunts good, some dogs just won't hunt by themselves. I own both kinds (hunt alone and need a buddy ) Start hunting him with a dog that hunts good. Dave

Old Post 01-21-2018 09:08 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

If he'll track and tree a coon when he's with you, just walk him, Walk steady, and pay him no attention until he trees. If it's in him, after he trees a couple, and he has coon on his mind, he'll go farther and farther.
My dog Ol' Cotton, he's 13 now but I got him at about 2, one of the best dogs I've ever had. He had been somewhat started. I had no other dog, same thing as you. I did put out a couple feeders to get him going, but don't over hunt them. each time start hunting farther and farther from them, don't over do it on the feeders.
If it's in him, it will come out.
Warning... Unfortunately alot of dogs are culls, if it's obvious he isn't going to do it, cull him and find another prospect.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 01-21-2018 09:26 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outback1
UKC Forum Member

Hunt him some more. You won't be out but a little time. The dog I'm hunting right now was so bad I had to drag her from under the truck one night! I was going to call her the next night. She must have read my mind ! When I turned her out that night she kicked dirt in my face to go hunting! She hasn't looked back. Something just kicked, good luck

Old Post 01-21-2018 11:21 PM
Outback1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outback1 Click here to Send Outback1 a Private Message Find more posts by Outback1 Add Outback1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

The hunt is bred in them keep taking him he should start to go. If not try him with another dog. If not progressing after a month or so I’d move on to the next.

Old Post 01-21-2018 11:51 PM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

Will he go with another dog?

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 01-22-2018 02:01 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Guy said he would...but then again said the reason he's not going solo is cause I showed him a coon ...so who knows ...liars everywhere in this business

Old Post 01-22-2018 02:02 AM
Jason Baldwin
UKC Forum Member

Mine wouldnt hunt far at first. Maybe 150 yards that was it. I just walked her through the woods and slowly over about a years time she became a deep hunting dog.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John3:16

Old Post 01-22-2018 02:44 AM
Jason Baldwin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Baldwin Click here to Send Jason Baldwin a Private Message Find more posts by Jason Baldwin Add Jason Baldwin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wdb91
UKC Forum Member

Get you a puppy and start it the right way,dont buy a 2 year old dog that’s not been messed with...if someone is selling a 2 year old there is a reason for it...cull that thing and start over with a fresh pup.

Old Post 01-22-2018 03:33 AM
Wdb91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wdb91 Click here to Send Wdb91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Wdb91 Find more posts by Wdb91 Add Wdb91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fox_91
UKC Forum Member

You can make one go hide, can't make one gonhunt

Old Post 01-22-2018 01:51 PM
fox_91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fox_91 Click here to Send fox_91 a Private Message Click Here to Email fox_91 Find more posts by fox_91 Add fox_91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I'm no expert by any means, & pretty much a joke for a coonhunter any more. One thing I will share with you that was shared with me by other folks smarter than myself ..... Dogs are not machines! Every dog is different, & when you pluck a dog out of the familiar environment it is used to & dump it into an unfamiliar environment, you are not going to see the same dog performance as when/where it came from. There WILL BE AN ADJUSTMENT PERIOD NEEDED! Some dogs adjust very quickly, some take several weeks, some may take a month or two, some may never adjust. I'm sure you've been told or already know, if any way possible, hunt with the dog before you buy/accept. That way you are seeing first hand how that dog performs with an owner & an environment it is familiar with.

I'm in no way saying that you were or were not deceived about the dog, but I sure wouldn't pass final judgment after only one week either.

Best of luck to you!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 01-22-2018 06:12 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

junk

From your posts obviously you havnt hunted a long time.Seems like you are always trying a new dog.Sounds like you are constantly getting other peoples junk.An old saying usually makes good sense(you get what you pay for)Next dog try it before you waste any time or money on it.

Old Post 01-22-2018 07:02 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Guy said he would...but then again said the reason he's not going solo is cause I showed him a coon ...so who knows ...liars everywhere in this business

Do you have a dog to hunt it with?

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 01-23-2018 01:44 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

No I don't

Old Post 01-23-2018 01:48 AM
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like.

Sounds like the previous owner might have walk hunted him, or hunted him with another dog too much. You can walk hunt him a little until he trees a couple for you, but I wouldn't do that more than a just a couple times.
You can fix the problem, it just takes time. Go to a big woods with plenty of coon, turn loose in the middle of it. Set down and wait him out, play games on your cell phone or something to pass the time. If you can drive to a good spot it's even better, relax in the truck. Lots of hard going dogs were once afraid of the dark. People don't tell that kind of stuff.
Is he wearing a shock collar? If so try loosening it up or taking it off. If an alpha, remove the prongs. Training collar mistakes can cause a dog to have fear of leaving you (I've done it). This is fixed the same way. Lots of boring time in the woods.
It usually takes lots and lots of nights in the woods to make a nice hound, to see what they are really made of, people don't talk about that much either.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 01-23-2018 02:17 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote