UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Leading off of a tree
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Leading off of a tree

All right Allen, the World is over and it is time to go back to work. How far are we supposed to lead dogs off a tree before we cut them loose?
1. Immediately
2. A specified distance or time
3. It is up to the judge
4. It is up to the handler

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-25-2018 11:03 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

I take 3 steps and turn loose .

Old Post 09-26-2018 12:34 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

But the rule says nothing about 3 steps. And are those big steps or little steps. Do you do that with every dog you hunt or is each dog different? Surely Mr Gingrich has addressed this somewhere.

Old Post 09-26-2018 12:45 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
But the rule says nothing about 3 steps. And are those big steps or little steps. Do you do that with every dog you hunt or is each dog different? Surely Mr Gingrich has addressed this somewhere.
Rich every dog I hunt I can do it with ! they have one thing on there mind is go before they get a no12 stuck up there well you know where ! lol ! but to be serious prob when the handlers feel comfortable !

Old Post 09-26-2018 01:23 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Round here

About 15 steps usually.

Old Post 09-26-2018 01:48 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

There is no set distance.. Its usually up to the Handlers.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 09-26-2018 02:01 AM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Another loophole that needs closed

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-26-2018 03:06 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

My take on it is no one cuts loose until all handlers with a dog on the lead are satisfied. If you are ready then tell the judge so and he should ask any other handlers leading dogs if they are ready.

Old Post 09-26-2018 03:42 AM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

There's no distance requirement. The rule states dogs must be turned loose when a dog opens on track 3ft or 40 yrds don't matter.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 09-26-2018 07:32 AM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Cooper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Bingham
There's no distance requirement. The rule states dogs must be turned loose when a dog opens on track 3ft or 40 yrds don't matter.

BINGO!!

2021 UKC National Grand Nite Ch
' Indiana Outlaw'
Co owned with Alan Holding

PKC Ch Nite Ch PR Backwoods Okie

Old Post 09-26-2018 08:50 AM
J Cooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Cooper Click here to Send J Cooper a Private Message Click Here to Email J Cooper Find more posts by J Cooper Add J Cooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jgarrett
My take on it is no one cuts loose until all handlers with a dog on the lead are satisfied. If you are ready then tell the judge so and he should ask any other handlers leading dogs if they are ready.
if 3 handlers are ready and 1 isn't can 3 cut loose awhile instead of wasting time or should they be cheated out of ticking time because someone else's dog wasn't trained better?

Old Post 09-26-2018 01:51 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
if 3 handlers are ready and 1 isn't can 3 cut loose awhile instead of wasting time or should they be cheated out of ticking time because someone else's dog wasn't trained better?

If loosing 20-30 seconds cost you a cast I wouldn’t call it cheating. I would call it a bad break. Now if a dog is at large and a handler is intentionally wanting to walk farther for the purpose of hoping you get leash locked then I can see that point of view too. I honestly don’t appose a set walking time but find it a non issue at your regular old $15 Ukc hunt.

Old Post 09-26-2018 03:01 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
If loosing 20-30 seconds cost you a cast I wouldn’t call it cheating. I would call it a bad break. Now if a dog is at large and a handler is intentionally wanting to walk farther for the purpose of hoping you get leash locked then I can see that point of view too. I honestly don’t appose a set walking time but find it a non issue at your regular old $15 Ukc hunt.

He is where the problem lies not all hunts are just your $15 UKC hunt. Clarification and a rule change with specifics is needed.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-26-2018 05:02 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:

How many coons get treed seconds or minutes after the hunt is over? Ive been on plenty when that 20-30 seconds would have made a HUGE difference. What if you made 3 trees... now this 20-30 second could have turned into 1:30 or possibly more.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Last edited by TylerOSU on 09-26-2018 at 05:55 PM

Old Post 09-26-2018 05:53 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I wish they would put a time on it. Walk 30 seconds would be good with me. I just don’t see it happening in ukc. I would even be happy with walking a minute. What are everyone’s thoughts on he subject.

Old Post 09-26-2018 05:58 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Y not just use "common sense" every hunt/tree is different yet all basically have things in common. Surely amongst 4 handlers theirs 1 with sense ! A cookie cutter rule is not necessary....but the use of "common sense" is !

Old Post 09-26-2018 07:10 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LNeal
UKC Forum Member

Cut'em Loose

It's in the Rules Cut'em when the JUDGE Tell's you to.

Old Post 09-26-2018 07:19 PM
LNeal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LNeal Click here to Send LNeal a Private Message Find more posts by LNeal Add LNeal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
Y not just use "common sense" every hunt/tree is different yet all basically have things in common. Surely amongst 4 handlers theirs 1 with sense ! A cookie cutter rule is not necessary....but the use of "common sense" is !

You all have no idea what is headed your way in the very near future. Black and white cut and dry rule will save alot of headache for everyone.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-26-2018 07:29 PM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Granted the one minute walk rule in the other KC's makes things cut and dried however there are times in the woods where cutting the dogs at one minute exactly but it doesn't allow for any common sense decisions either. If a cast has a competent judge they are usually going to be able to make good decisions on when and where to recast the dogs if they aren"t stuck at just unsnapping the lead strap on the dogs at an exact time period. The UKC rules state that the judge is in complete authority of the cast and if someone doesn't like when he is telling the cast members to recut their dogs the procedure to question it and get the dogs cut loose if they don't agree with the judge.

16b) Hunting Judge Cast: The following procedure must be followed when using Hunting judges on a cast, regardless of category. Situations not questioned and notated at the time Judge’s decision is made, will not be considered.

1. The Hunting Judge has complete authority and will be responsible for scoring all situations.

So if a cast member doesn't agree that the judge isn't allowing them to turn their dog loose fast enough they can question it and go to rule 16:b (2 & 3) which states.

2. Should a situation arise where a handler questions a call that was made, or a call that should have been made but wasn’t, that handler may ask to have his question voted on by all cast members that remain with the cast at that time.

3. Each handler must vote or their dog will be scratched. It takes a majority vote to overturn judge’s decision. Any handler that is not satisfied with the outcome retains the right to place a question mark (?) on the card and present his question to the MOH/panel.

Old Post 09-26-2018 07:37 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
Granted the one minute walk rule in the other KC's makes things cut and dried however there are times in the woods where cutting the dogs at one minute exactly but it doesn't allow for any common sense decisions either. If a cast has a competent judge they are usually going to be able to make good decisions on when and where to recast the dogs if they aren"t stuck at just unsnapping the lead strap on the dogs at an exact time period. The UKC rules state that the judge is in complete authority of the cast and if someone doesn't like when he is telling the cast members to recut their dogs the procedure to question it and get the dogs cut loose if they don't agree with the judge.

16b) Hunting Judge Cast: The following procedure must be followed when using Hunting judges on a cast, regardless of category. Situations not questioned and notated at the time Judge’s decision is made, will not be considered.

1. The Hunting Judge has complete authority and will be responsible for scoring all situations.

So if a cast member doesn't agree that the judge isn't allowing them to turn their dog loose fast enough they can question it and go to rule 16:b (2 & 3) which states.

2. Should a situation arise where a handler questions a call that was made, or a call that should have been made but wasn’t, that handler may ask to have his question voted on by all cast members that remain with the cast at that time.

3. Each handler must vote or their dog will be scratched. It takes a majority vote to overturn judge’s decision. Any handler that is not satisfied with the outcome retains the right to place a question mark (?) on the card and present his question to the MOH/panel.

That's all fine and dandy but how are you going to present this question? Dogs are at large still, yours is on the lead and he wont let you cut. At large dog gets struck and treed and you're still on the lead. Now you go score said dog that is treed in and lets just say he has a coon. Me questioning the judge on when I can cast isn't a scratching offense so I cant take it back to the club until AFTER the hunt. Say we go back to the club and I am right I should of been able to cut. Now how do you score everything AFTER my question? You delete it and add the amount of time back on the clock? Well now deadline is going to catch us before we can finish the hunt so the card is thrown out. Ill take my chances and cut then the judge can scratch me, I can question it, we call timeout and gather dogs, and go back to the club. See my argument?