UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Losing sense of smell
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Losing sense of smell

What illness causes a dog to lose sense of smell?
A young man was telling me his dog came up lame on one foot and was stoved up but no real explanation why…
He said he put the dog on doxycycline and dog bounced back but now he is slick treeing…

Anyone experience something similar to this with their hunting dog?

He will be taking dog to vet if it persists…

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-16-2022 10:38 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Some antibiotics will cause a temporary loss of smell.
With the lameness probably should check for lyme.

Old Post 06-16-2022 03:58 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Three times I started a thread on dog scenting abilities. Never got one response. I have a female here that has treed as many coons as any dog I ever hunted with. Two years ago I thought I would do my dogs a favor when winter came and put them on a higher protein dog food (same company). The young female that was treeing so many coons became useless. My other two dogs were unaffected. I switched back to the original feed and in a few days, she was treeing coons again. A few months later when I opened a bag of feed it looked different. Something was changed. She again became useless. The other 2 dogs, no problem. So I switched her to a different brand of dog food. She immediately started treeing coons again. She is obviously allergic to something in this dog food. One of my other dogs is her full sister and changing feed doesn't affect her at all. The female having the problem is the most accurate dog I ever hunted with. She started treeing coons alone at 6 months old and has been treeing them ever since with no help. When on the dog food she's allergic to, she trails very slowly and back tracks all night and never trees.

Old Post 06-16-2022 07:13 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A House Cat
UKC Forum Member

Covid-19 causes loss of smell

Old Post 06-17-2022 01:58 AM
A House Cat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A House Cat Click here to Send A House Cat a Private Message Find more posts by A House Cat Add A House Cat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Three times I started a thread on dog scenting abilities. Never got one response. I have a female here that has treed as many coons as any dog I ever hunted with. Two years ago I thought I would do my dogs a favor when winter came and put them on a higher protein dog food (same company). The young female that was treeing so many coons became useless. My other two dogs were unaffected. I switched back to the original feed and in a few days, she was treeing coons again. A few months later when I opened a bag of feed it looked different. Something was changed. She again became useless. The other 2 dogs, no problem. So I switched her to a different brand of dog food. She immediately started treeing coons again. She is obviously allergic to something in this dog food. One of my other dogs is her full sister and changing feed doesn't affect her at all. The female having the problem is the most accurate dog I ever hunted with. She started treeing coons alone at 6 months old and has been treeing them ever since with no help. When on the dog food she's allergic to, she trails very slowly and back tracks all night and never trees.

What kind of dog food caused the issue?

Old Post 06-17-2022 02:42 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

Had a dog recently

That was on doxy for a month. Seemed like he couldn't smell anything. Took a while after coming off of it to get back where he should be. Could be the dog, could be the medicine. I blamed it all on the medicine, of course.

Old Post 06-17-2022 03:05 AM
Ehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ehill Click here to Send Ehill a Private Message Click Here to Email Ehill Find more posts by Ehill Add Ehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by houndsound
What kind of dog food caused the issue?
First it was Purina High Pro then Purina Dog Chow. I've been feeding it for years with no problems. And then it was only one dog. My hunting buddy feeds it and never had a problem.

Old Post 06-17-2022 03:09 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Always heard Parvo hurt a dogs sense of smell.

Old Post 06-17-2022 04:17 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

A rabbit hunter told me he raised 4 beagle pups that survived parvo. He said none of them could ever run a rabbit. He told me that because I have 2 four-month-old hound pups that had parvo. I guess I'll know in a few months.

Old Post 06-17-2022 06:49 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Donald it was good that you recognized the problem and fixed it. I don't think many folks would have been as dialed in to the problem. Dogs are no different than folks in regard to allergies, things that don't bother some folks bother other folks..Dave

Old Post 06-17-2022 09:46 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the comments…

Old Post 06-18-2022 05:04 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
A rabbit hunter told me he raised 4 beagle pups that survived parvo. He said none of them could ever run a rabbit. He told me that because I have 2 four-month-old hound pups that had parvo. I guess I'll know in a few months.

I had a litter years ago that got it and I saved they all turned out VERY good.
As for the doxy if you've ever had to take it yourself you know it has horrible side effects. Get hot or in the sun and you'll feel like your on fire. Many experience gastrointestinal issues along with it too. It's great at treating many things but like some other antibiotics it is not without it's own side effects.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-18-2022 05:18 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
I had a litter years ago that got it and I saved they all turned out VERY good.
As for the doxy if you've ever had to take it yourself you know it has horrible side effects. Get hot or in the sun and you'll feel like your on fire. Many experience gastrointestinal issues along with it too. It's great at treating many things but like some other antibiotics it is not without it's own side effects.

Thanks for the info on parvo pups. I have a lot invested in these and sure hope they make something.

Old Post 06-18-2022 07:34 PM
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Thanks for the info on parvo pups. I have a lot invested in these and sure hope they make something.

Raised a litter of beagle puppies several years back. Whole litter got parvo. All where treated and survived. As far as ability to run a rabbit will just say I wish I could have them back. Haven't found a rabbit dog worth the time since.

Old Post 06-19-2022 12:51 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Losing sense of smell

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
What illness causes a dog to lose sense of smell?
A young man was telling me his dog came up lame on one foot and was stoved up but no real explanation why…
He said he put the dog on doxycycline and dog bounced back but now he is slick treeing…

Anyone experience something similar to this with their hunting dog?

He will be taking dog to vet if it persists…

Tell the young man to take the dog in to test for Lymes. Both of those symptoms are tell tale signs of Lymes.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 06-19-2022 02:16 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Losing sense of smell

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Tell the young man to take the dog in to test for Lymes. Both of those symptoms are tell tale signs of Lymes.

I will…thanks

Old Post 06-19-2022 06:47 PM
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Good chance it’s lymes or eleckia or both.

Old Post 06-22-2022 12:21 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Could also be Brucellosis. Stiff sore joints is the one of the main symptoms. Vets rarely test for it unless you ask.

Old Post 06-22-2022 02:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote