UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Independent or pack
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Independent or pack

This is always a strong topic. From starting a pup clean threw to a finished hound.
Let's have a little conversation about how some want to train a pup, started or even finished hounds to get the results that work for your own personal preference.
For me I let the dogs genetics decide to what degree the dogs independence will be for the most part. I don't try to keep them from other dogs but I also hunt them enough alone that there confident treeing coon solo. I have also never felt hunting a dog alone all the time makes them independent as some claim.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-30-2020 01:39 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I am selective until I find an individual that is indifferent enough to excell consistently ahead of the pack or within the pack. But not a social outcast. All this with nothing but very little correction from me.

I they don’t show me that they don’t live hear.

Tar

Old Post 07-30-2020 01:44 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

If they are complete dead loner's that used to be considered independent to a fault.. Was a trait breeders culled out as a practice.

That type of dog blows up a hunt and creates a lot of unnecessary walking and made them hard to find many times during and after a hunt (this was pre tracking collar unit).

With the advent of money hunts and trainers figuring out how to build the best score card dog, the independent to a fault dog became the hound of choice. further ones who would still cover were conditioned with the E collar to not cover..

Personally I don't mind if dog's are working together and tree together.. It's what they should do.. However I do not want my dog to pack a suit case and follow another dog through the woods and back.. Won't own one like that.. I like mine to work with the other dogs if they strike together, otherwise I want him looking for his own.. And if he's alone I want him to tree, hold pressure and recast away from treed dogs..

A dog that will not ever tree with other dogs is a poor pleasure hound, might be just the ticket for the score card, but it's not for me..

My .02 worth.

Old Post 07-30-2020 01:50 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

Where I live {Very Southern Mi.} I don't want my hound packing.There are plenty of coon and they better go find their own.Hot one struck together or winded off the leash,I'm ok with too.

IF.....I lived in thin coon I'd prob want more pack......Not full out 'Me too',leave a track to pack/back.If they got their own track going,finish it.I've hunted with enough brush busting me too dogs to know I don't want one.Yes,they were 99% Blueticks....lol

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 07-30-2020 02:42 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I've hunted with some of the dogs like your talking about Larry. The man made loaners. What a pain in the but. 1 dog makes a bark and they left the woods out across open ground looking for a new woods so they didn't get hot around the collar. Amazed me some one could enjoy a dog like that.

Old Post 07-30-2020 02:47 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by 4play
Where I live {Very Southern Mi.} I don't want my hound packing.There are plenty of coon and they better go find their own.Hot one struck together or winded off the leash,I'm ok with too.

IF.....I lived in thin coon I'd prob want more pack......Not full out 'Me too',leave a track to pack/back.If they got their own track going,finish it.I've hunted with enough brush busting me too dogs to know I don't want one.Yes,they were 99% Blueticks....lol

not to bust on you but trying to get a understanding. I take it you have to train some independence to get what works for you?

Old Post 07-30-2020 02:52 PM
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I am selective until I find an individual that is indifferent enough to excell consistently ahead of the pack or within the pack. But not a social outcast. All this with nothing but very little correction from me.

I they don’t show me that they don’t live hear.

Tar

This^^^ they are as independent as they are ever gonna be the day they are born. You can manipulate that some by hunting alone but if they are a pack mule they will always revert back to packing unless you give them the juice. I would refuse to do so, and opt to give a pack mule to one of my bear hunting friends.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 07-30-2020 03:23 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Tar's definition sums it up well I think.. Same type of dog I am looking for.. some nights I have it, some nights, sigh.... LOL..

Pam - I drew one of the hottest winning $kc dogs at a UKC hunt this spring.. We cut together in a four dog cast..

$KC dog had second strike first tree on a coon.. Other two dogs covered him.. My dog went left handed and treed a few hundred yards away (after his dumb butt handler drew minus on him, but that's another story).. We scored the $KC dogs tree.. had a coon, plus him up..

we recut, headed in and scored my tree.. Beech den.. circle up.. We walk up to the edge of the field to recast mine.. $KC handler asks us if we can hear that dog? Faintly in the distance we can hear a dog treed.. He trees him.. I ask him do you mind telling me how far he is? 1.14 was the reply.. That cotton picker left about 8o acres of creek bottom and cornfield timber and ran across a mile of open fields, crossed a road and fell treed.. I respectfully withdrew at that point and said I'll see you boys at the club house.. Was a good cast, great dog work, just not my kind of dog work..

That dog won the cast handily and did it treeing coons.. But I want nothing to do with hunting a dog like that.. I'm sure we could have treed several coons in the timber in front of us.. Even if i'd not taken my self inflicted minus on the first tree by the time we walked 1.14 in and out in an hour cast no way I could beat him most likely.. And I'm not walking 2.28 miles to look at a tree and get back to my dog.. No way.. Too old and fat for that..

I've got friends that love that type, each to his own.. I'd caution everyone to hunt with any of the big time winners they are thinking about breeding to.. Not to hijack your thread, but wanted to share that independent loner story..

Old Post 07-30-2020 04:30 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

I am a social outcast, I want my dog to be one as well. Solo human, solo dog....best type of hunting there is.

Old Post 07-30-2020 04:33 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: JMO

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
not to bust on you but trying to get a understanding. I take it you have to train some independence to get what works for you?

I've been lucky.Both in my signature are independent on their own.

Bark male is natural loner.Don't know if it's jealousy or he don't want to compete?He don't blow out,he just seems to always have his own,small woods or big woods don't matter.

Female got that way on her own.Smartest,most accurate dog I've ever seen.Mine or not.No shocking/beating...ever.
Hunted her alone alot,Hunted the best alone.Tree every coon in the woods alone.If she ran over a track.You could re-cut,she'd go back and tree that one too.When young,Knocked coon out almost every time she split treed.She learned only way she was getting a coon was to have her own.
hunted hard older she got.Became hard headed independent.Would run away from other dogs that follow and get deep to be alone.
In a hunt with strange dogs.She would run in,open on a track,if other dogs came.She'd leave go find another and tree it.Scored 1050 in a hunt in 45min hunting alone.{Fight broke out in 3 dog cast}
Passed away{put her to sleep} from spine cancer cpl months ago.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Last edited by 4play on 07-30-2020 at 06:11 PM

Old Post 07-30-2020 05:22 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Back in the 50's and 60's I would never have got hooked on coon hunting if the hunters had wanted to hunt solo and just one dog. Back then friends hunted together with 3-5 dogs most nights. It was the atmosphere of being with those men as well as the thrill of a good hound coming treed that got me started and keeps me at 60 years later. I do hunt mostly by myself now because I no longer have a buddy that lives close to me. We have coon hunters but, with a lot wanting to hunt their dog solo, not too many to go with regular and I really miss that part.

Old Post 07-30-2020 05:34 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Tom wood I'll 2nd that. It's going to hurt our sport in the long run.

Old Post 07-30-2020 06:23 PM
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Back in the 50's and 60's I would never have got hooked on coon hunting if the hunters had wanted to hunt solo and just one dog. Back then friends hunted together with 3-5 dogs most nights. It was the atmosphere of being with those men as well as the thrill of a good hound coming treed that got me started and keeps me at 60 years later. I do hunt mostly by myself now because I no longer have a buddy that lives close to me. We have coon hunters but, with a lot wanting to hunt their dog solo, not too many to go with regular and I really miss that part.
Yes Sir we hunted our young dogs alone during the week Friday,Saturday ,and Sunday, we hunted with our buddy's, good times for sure i miss that also Tom we had some good friendly times and hunts.....

Old Post 07-30-2020 06:38 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

I always hunt one dog at a time, my experience on hunting a pack is there’s lots of room for trouble lol

Old Post 07-30-2020 09:09 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

We conditioned our dogs alone during the week then once in a while take them with a problem dog for a test. But in the hunts you drew a pack they didn’t run from the rest because either they were taught to or were non competitive. You picked dogs that the tuffer the competition the more they excelled.

Tar

Old Post 07-30-2020 09:26 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

If they're gonna pack they better be leading the pack. I won't hunt one that's not consistently treed first nor will I hunt one that won't tree unless it's first.

Old Post 07-30-2020 09:28 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
If they're gonna pack they better be leading the pack. I won't hunt one that's not consistently treed first nor will I hunt one that won't tree unless it's first.

It’s not that hard of a concept. Race horses are conditioned to win there may be 10 horses come out of the starting gate the one that hits the finish line first is the winner but if he gets outrun he don’t stop and go the other way he crosses the finish line with the rest.

Tar

Old Post 07-30-2020 09:44 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
It’s not that hard of a concept. Race horses are conditioned to win there may be 10 horses come out of the starting gate the one that hits the finish line first is the winner but if he gets outrun he don’t stop and go the other way he crosses the finish line with the rest.

Tar

Right. And if he gets outrun very often he's removed from the races and the gene pool.

What a concept !

Old Post 07-30-2020 10:22 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Right. And if he gets outrun very often he's removed from the races and the gene pool.

What a concept !

X2 finally sombody understands.

Tar

Old Post 07-30-2020 10:25 PM
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

In horse racing the ones that cross the finish like in 2-4 don't get part of the same pot of the horse that crossed first does it? Pack hounds are the democrats of coondogs...