UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > protein and overheating
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
easternshoreboy
UKC Forum Member

protein and overheating

I hear people say that highprotein dogfoods can overheat dog in warmer weather. I have seen people mix several different dogfood together they say they can tell differents in the way their dog runs. any thoughts on this thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2010 03:04 AM
easternshoreboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for easternshoreboy Click here to Send easternshoreboy a Private Message Click Here to Email easternshoreboy Find more posts by easternshoreboy Add easternshoreboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harner's Hounds
UKC Forum Member

If your not running your dogs much during the summer, the high protein needs to be cut down or just plain off. I would switch to a maintence food if the running is cut down in the summer. The protein is hard on the kidneys if they aren't being ran!!

PT's I'm Riding Dirty.
Harner's Briar Bashin Blaze.
Harner's Diesel Powered by Runner
Harner's River Diamond

Old Post 04-08-2010 03:42 AM
Harner's Hounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Harner's Hounds Click here to Send Harner's Hounds a Private Message Click Here to Email Harner's Hounds Visit Harner's Hounds's homepage! Find more posts by Harner's Hounds Add Harner's Hounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VICKY B
UKC Forum Member

I disagree, do some research on the net. I feed mine the same all year long. The reason some guys have problems is not the %protein its what the dog food company is using for protein.
Lots of guys may disagree, right now the dogs I am running in hunts I feed almost all raw, trust me that is a lot higher in protein than any dog food out there.

Old Post 04-08-2010 12:02 PM
VICKY B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VICKY B Click here to Send VICKY B a Private Message Visit VICKY B's homepage! Find more posts by VICKY B Add VICKY B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mitch gould
UKC Forum Member

there is studies that have shown that feeding very high protien such as 30% over the course of a dogs life is hard on their organs. I have seen coondogs that have had failed kidneys at 8-9 yold and they never ate anything but high protien there whole life.

A big misconseption ppl have in the trial world is that the higher protien i feed the more energy and endurance my hound will have , THIS IS FALSE. energy comes from fats and carbs. Its possible a hounds burns off all protien in its system in the first 20 minutes of a trial! the rest of the hunt your dog is operateing off of carbs and fats.

What protien gives u is the ability for your dog to build muscle, and to do that u dont need 26 28 30% protien. Vicky is right about the content of foods as well, never feed food that dosnt specify its ingredients either. I have fed no more than 24% protien to our dogs over the years that we have won with and i couple that with the highest fat content i can get ,then i supplement that with fatty meat,bacon grease, to get even more fat in there diet. I know if u feed pastas it helps as well with energy.

A vet told me once that its impossible for a hound to process these 30% protien foods especially if they aint run everyday real hard, i recomend nothing over 26% and min of 16 fat but 20% if u can get it. right now im real fond of 24-20 pride

click on link to visit our website
Heat- Em- Up Kennels

Old Post 04-08-2010 02:20 PM
mitch gould is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mitch gould Click here to Send mitch gould a Private Message Click Here to Email mitch gould Visit mitch gould's homepage! Find more posts by mitch gould Add mitch gould to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSG
Banned

I TO HAVE HEARD

TO MUCH PROTIEN IS HARD ON LIVER --KIDNEYS HAS CAUSED ALOT OF HOUNDS PASS BEFORE THERE TIME----I THINK AND HAVE SEEN A DIFERENCE WHEN I FEED TWICE A DAY 1-CUP MORN AND HALF AFTERNOON WITH BREED AND PEANUTBUTTER LIL RICE GOIN BACK TO NOT OVERLOADIN ON PROTIEN GIVIN A LIL CARBS! ITS A LIL EXTRA WORK BUTT I SEE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!! I WILL GIVE RAW MEAT IN WINTER IF THERE GETTIN STRETCHED OUT 3-4 TIME A WEEK AT 4-5 HRS AT A CLIP LIKE VICKY SAYS----AND THE UPMOST IMPORTANT THING IS THE FEED YOU BY IS BASED WITH CHICKEN OR BEEF IF FIRST ING. SAYS CORN GO TO ANOTHER BRAND BOTTOMLINE!!!!!!!!WE AS HUMANS CANT EAT ALOT OF PROTIEN AT ONE SITTIN AND ABSORB IT---SO HOW CAN A 20 PLUS POUND HOUND?

Old Post 04-08-2010 03:10 PM
CSG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSG Click here to Send CSG a Private Message Find more posts by CSG Add CSG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VICKY B
UKC Forum Member

Totally agree with you both, the food I feed is 24/20.
Read the ingredients on the bag, it will surprise you. Usually not in a good way.
I also like to steam brown rice,add eggs,fish,venison,beef and some mixed veg. also liver. Chicken quarters. Chicken soup.
Sounds better than my dinner.
A good indicator for me has been the amount of waste. Tells me how much is digestable and how much is filler.

Last edited by VICKY B on 04-08-2010 at 03:34 PM

Old Post 04-08-2010 03:29 PM
VICKY B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VICKY B Click here to Send VICKY B a Private Message Visit VICKY B's homepage! Find more posts by VICKY B Add VICKY B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CSG
Banned

ITS A SHAME

VICKY THEY DO EAT BETTER THAN ME---AND IM SURE THEY WOULDNT SHARE IT WIT U-OR ME----FEEDIN EM RIGHT IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS RUNNIN EM AINT IT? BOTTOMLINE I FEEL IS U GOTA GRAIN THE MULE IF YA WANA EM TO DO IT DAY IN DAY OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 04-08-2010 03:34 PM
CSG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CSG Click here to Send CSG a Private Message Find more posts by CSG Add CSG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote