UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Top 10 best hounds.
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bwalker
UKC Forum Member

Top 10 best hounds.

I want to hear what is your top 10 list for the best hounds in your opinion you have ever seen?

Last edited by bwalker on 07-19-2016 at 03:08 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-19-2016 03:05 AM
bwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bwalker Click here to Send bwalker a Private Message Click Here to Email bwalker Find more posts by bwalker Add bwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

In a nite hunt was Seth Isch English gyp in northern Indiana. Best coon treeing show I ever saw put on and I have had the privilege of seeing many of what are considered tops go.

Best COONDOG I ever saw was Mitchell Stephens' Rock dog.

Old Post 07-19-2016 03:52 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

BAD HABIT is at the top of my top ten. Clean is up there, as well as Mojo. Trickles down from there, but Habit was good at winning.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 07-20-2016 01:27 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

Uchtman's Blue Albert

Gene DeGraffenreid's old Newton dog.

Wayne Holman's Spike, a Finley River and Crowding Billy bred Walker that placed 10th at the UKC World Hunt in 1989.

Sandy,an old Jungle Jim bred Redbone female I hunted with a lot when I was a kid.

My old Jewel and Belle females.

Uchtman's Ranger VI.

Razor Ridge DUI

The original Double Springs Echo

Guy Ormiston's Sheba

In no particular order.

Old Post 07-21-2016 05:11 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

In no particular order.
BuckEye Bud
Hardwood Henry
Bad Habit
Tar Hill Henry
Swift Creek Lace
Hat Creek Phydeaux
Smiley's Blue Stelth
Whatley's Blue Smokey
Brickly Creek Little Bit
Tequilla Sunrise

Old Post 07-21-2016 08:35 PM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

dogs

Walker! you meaning competition dogs! or coondogs in general! seems like when someone asks whats the best dog they have seen!! its always something someone else has or do own!! or some flavor back when! they were hot ? jmo

Old Post 07-24-2016 02:26 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

Hillbilly Mac!!!

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 07-24-2016 03:03 AM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Contrary to popular belief some of those big time winners are actually coondogs

Old Post 07-24-2016 03:15 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Top Ten dogs

I realize the question is just to get others opinions on a list of top dogs, but at best any list by anyone would be biased and limited to a relatively small number of dogs they have hunted with often enough to call a top coonhound. I have to hunt with a dog for a couple of seasons at least to really know how good they are. Many top dogs are just pleasure hunted that relatively few people get to hunt with! Same with some of the winningest competition dogs- how many people actually get to hunt with these hounds enough to make that call? Dave

Old Post 07-24-2016 05:18 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

Re: Top 10 best hounds.

quote:
Originally posted by bwalker
I want to hear what is your top 10 list for the best hounds in your opinion you have ever seen?

1. Hillbilly Mac {never hunted with him, but I'll take everyone elses word for it!!!}
2. Logan's Wild Clover
3. Hardwood Dan
4. Brunswick Little Man
5. Blue Run Gentlemen
6. Yadkin River Crowder
7. Huff's Wild Apache
8. Lady {little walker grade female}
9. House's Mr. Clean {never got to go with him either, but his record speaks for itself}
10. Belle {bluetick grade female}

Edit: For the most part the owners of these dogs were in the top ten as well!! Two other dogs worth mentioning are Nocturnal Nailer, he was a big dog but he was good. I am not sure if it was him or one of his pups I drew out with, but Yadkin Tar Rattler was a good one too. Big long legged, long eared, bawl mouthed walker.

Last edited by msinc on 07-24-2016 at 01:31 PM

Old Post 07-24-2016 12:39 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I would say back in the day it was not as documented a dogs winning was word of mouth or magazine now with several kcs having events weekly you see a dog that's getting in final fours in multiple kcs consistantly it's a sure bet that dog is a coon dog against stiff competition and would hold its own against anybody's top ten.

Old Post 07-24-2016 01:28 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Top Ten dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I realize the question is just to get others opinions on a list of top dogs, but at best any list by anyone would be biased and limited to a relatively small number of dogs they have hunted with often enough to call a top coonhound. I have to hunt with a dog for a couple of seasons at least to really know how good they are. Many top dogs are just pleasure hunted that relatively few people get to hunt with! Same with some of the winningest competition dogs- how many people actually get to hunt with these hounds enough to make that call? Dave

You seriously have to hunt with a dog a couple of seasons to know how good it is? I would think if you don't know a dogs quality after seeing it in the woods a half dozen nights, you will prolly never know it.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 07-24-2016 05:00 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Top Ten dogs

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
You seriously have to hunt with a dog a couple of seasons to know how good it is? I would think if you don't know a dogs quality after seeing it in the woods a half dozen nights, you will prolly never know it.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too......😉
A couple Seasons is a long time......

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 07-24-2016 07:06 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I'm a stickler for consistency. I wouldnt need two seasons but I'd need more then a couple trips before I'd start a top ten list. They all have bad nights for me the dif between a good one and a real good one is how often they have a bad night.

I'd have to see one 20 -30 times before I could rate one all time. In a couple nights I could tell ya what I saw and whether or not I wanted to see more lol

Old Post 07-24-2016 07:58 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

My statement was made regarding my definition of a top coonhound! Hunting the dog in all conditions over an extended period of time. Agree or disagree, I do not think one can get a real accurate reading in just a few nights! I respect those who opinions are different from that. Maybe we all have different standards or definition of what a top coonhound is or is not. Dave

Old Post 07-24-2016 07:59 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

I have seen a few dogs that did the same thing every time they were turned loose, these dogs seemed to tree coon with ease and was actually boring to hunt because I knew what to expect before I left my home to go hunting. I guess these dogs could be called top dogs.

I know everyone wants a top hound but a young dog that is noticeably improving is more fun to hunt.

I have hunted with some of the dogs mentioned here but I had a different opinon on part of them. This doesn't take anything from those dogs but it does show that hunters sometime prefer different traits in dogs.

Old Post 07-24-2016 09:03 PM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I have seen a few dogs that did the same thing every time they were turned loose, these dogs seemed to tree coon with ease and was actually boring to hunt because I knew what to expect before I left my home to go hunting. I guess these dogs could be called top dogs.

I know everyone wants a top hound but a young dog that is noticeably improving is more fun to hunt.

I have hunted with some of the dogs mentioned here but I had a different opinon on part of them. This doesn't take anything from those dogs but it does show that hunters sometime prefer different traits in dogs.

X2

Old Post 07-24-2016 10:22 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

X2

Old Post 07-24-2016 10:22 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Agreed 100%

Old Post 07-24-2016 10:32 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Regardless of what people want you to believe a dog can only do so much some just a little more Fancy than others!

Old Post 07-24-2016 10:48 PM
pabeagler
UKC Forum Member

When i was a teenager my uncle had a direct son of hillbilly mac. That was 28 years ago and i havent seen anything that even compares. Its just a shame he wasnt owned by someone with the means to promote him . I believe his name was nite ch Fisch's night Fire. He was a mac nite heat cross

shall receive the gift of the holy ghost

Old Post 07-25-2016 01:16 AM
pabeagler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pabeagler Click here to Send pabeagler a Private Message Click Here to Email pabeagler Find more posts by pabeagler Add pabeagler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Regardless of what people want you to believe a dog can only do so much some just a little more Fancy than others!
louder,faster,more consistant.

Old Post 07-25-2016 01:22 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pabeagler
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Dave Richards . One cannot truly judge a dogs ability in a couple nights in the woods. I always said it takes 30 nights in the woods to form an opinion on a dog . Looking at the whole picture !

shall receive the gift of the holy ghost

Old Post 07-25-2016 01:22 AM
pabeagler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pabeagler Click here to Send pabeagler a Private Message Click Here to Email pabeagler Find more posts by pabeagler Add pabeagler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pabeagler
[B One cannot truly judge a dogs ability in a couple nights in the woods. I always said it takes 30 nights in the woods to form an opinion on a dog . Looking at the whole picture ! [/B]

It might take a few nights before a hunter can see all of the ability a dog has but it usually only takes one or two coon to see that a dog is short on ability or has undesirable traits.

Old Post 07-25-2016 02:16 AM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
louder,
faster,more consistant.

We were talking about good dogs.... already faster louder and consistant. Just so much they can do

Old Post 07-25-2016 02:34 AM