UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Cornbread and table scraps
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Cornbread and table scraps

With all the discussion on here about how bad corn and grain products are for hounds. How many of you remember when dog food consisted of a pone of corn bread each day split between two dogs and whatever miscellaneous table scraps were at hand?

And those same dogs thrived and treed coons, possums, ground hogs or ran rabbits just fine.

How many of you supplement today's dog food with table scraps and bones?

I can still see my Grandmother baking corn bread in a cast iron skillet for the dogs every morning in my memories.

Different times for sure.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-26-2017 06:45 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Yes that will work and keep a dog alive, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing too do. People are expecting dogs too perform so much better nowadays. The modern coonhound is just like a thoroughbred or any other athlete for that matter. For anything horse dog or person too get the best out of them they need proper excercise and proper nutrition.

Old Post 05-26-2017 07:17 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I recall my grand parents do the same thing. He also used Jim Dandy dog food. At one point we would go to the grocery and get a mess of beef tallow (fat), and in a big iron pot cook it with corn mill. The dog lot was covered with piles of white dog poop. As for now, I supplement my dog's feed with human food. I don't have to but I want to do the best I can for my dogs.

Old Post 05-26-2017 07:22 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack haughton
UKC Forum Member

Corn bread and table scraps.

Yes i have fed many types of dog food over the years all who have contained grains. The dogs did well on ti and i would venture to say as good as my dogs do now on 64.00 CDN for a 37lb. bag now.Good food has definitely more ingredients than the past foods.But the dog is not built like a wolf as so many dog food manufactures like to make you think.There is at least 13 genetic differences in the present day dog. The domestic dogs we know developed to be around man due to the fact that it could process carbohydrates and left over humane scraps which a wolf cannot do.Carbs are an excellent source of many nutrients for dogs and are not the bad thing as so many people think they are. Check with Purina about diets for dogs. After 85 plus years i think they know what dogs require.Just my thoughts.

HOME OF THE BLU MARU BLUETICKS.GR CH Haughtons Genesse Maru.FCH CH Haughtons Jorja .Blu.CH.Ruby Maru.and Blu Poppyhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/genessemaru/101010_ThanksgivingPuppies2010_1163.jpg

Old Post 05-26-2017 09:33 PM
jack haughton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack haughton Click here to Send jack haughton a Private Message Find more posts by jack haughton Add jack haughton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

My dogs favorite treat is hamburger grease poured over top of their dog food. And some frozen cheap steaks every once in a while.

Old Post 05-27-2017 03:26 AM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trsizemore
UKC Forum Member

CORN MEAL

WHEN A TEENAGER I WORKED FOR A GUY THAT OWNED THE GROCERY STORE HE HAD FOX HOUNDS AND MY JOB ALOT OF DAYS WAS TO STIR THE BUTCHER KETTLE WITH CORN MEAL AND BEEF TALLOW FROM THE STORE THATS WAS ALL THEY GOT FED AND REMEMBER THOSE DOGS WOULD RUN A COUPLE DAYS THEN COME HOME SO SORE THEY COULD HARDLY WALK I REMEMBER HE HAD A DEN PLUM FULL OF TROPHIES THAT REALY IMPRESSED THIS KID THANKS TIM

Old Post 05-28-2017 01:40 AM
trsizemore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trsizemore Click here to Send trsizemore a Private Message Click Here to Email trsizemore Find more posts by trsizemore Add trsizemore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote