UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Bird Dog Cross
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CLAVEYRIVERCURS
Banned

Bird Dog Cross

Anyone running any bird dog crosses ? What are you running them on (small game or big game ) Do you know anyone that is running them ? Let hear about some that you know of.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-29-2014 06:50 PM
CLAVEYRIVERCURS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLAVEYRIVERCURS Click here to Send CLAVEYRIVERCURS a Private Message Click Here to Email CLAVEYRIVERCURS Find more posts by CLAVEYRIVERCURS Add CLAVEYRIVERCURS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coleman allen,
New UKC Forum Member

I bought a young female two years ago. She was 9 months old, never handled, wild as a buck. She is half omc,1/4 bird dog and 1/4 hound. I've hunted her by herself the last two years. She's a squirrel treeing machine. She hunts on a dead run going up to 600 or so yards. She always checks back in, never stopping. I bred her last year to my friends reg. omc. The pups are 3/4 cur, 1/16 bird dog ans 1/16. I kept a female. She's 9 1/2 months old. Hasn't treed yet but I feel close to it. Just watching her, I believe she will hunt out like her momma.. Mr. Jack Edwards of New Albany, miss. Made the mommas cross. I bought her from Mr. don Rogers. He lives about 20 miles east of Oxford, Miss. Give him a call at 662 534 4823 and see how he likes these dogs. He raised a litter last year that are half bird dog, half hound. I got a registered cur from Sonny Conwill about 10 years ago that hunted out like my present female. All the other curs I've owned we're closer hunters. I hunt mostly off a 4 wheeler so I like one that will range out. Back in my younger days when I went after the coons with walkers, I wish now I'd crossed them with curs to slow them down. We hunted off horses and I firmly believe we'd have doubled our kills.
We had some real good Coma dogs. I like these mixed up dogs I'm hunting.
Coleman Allen
Lyon, miss.

Old Post 04-29-2014 07:55 PM
Coleman allen, is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coleman allen, Click here to Send Coleman allen, a Private Message Click Here to Email Coleman allen, Find more posts by Coleman allen, Add Coleman allen, to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coleman allen,
New UKC Forum Member

Correction

1/8 and 1/8 on hound, bird dog mix

Old Post 04-29-2014 09:56 PM
Coleman allen, is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coleman allen, Click here to Send Coleman allen, a Private Message Click Here to Email Coleman allen, Find more posts by Coleman allen, Add Coleman allen, to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ardel Ledbetter
UKC Forum Member

I just bred a 1/2 German Shorthair 1/2 OMCBA female to a English.
We will see.

Old Post 04-29-2014 10:06 PM
Ardel Ledbetter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ardel Ledbetter Click here to Send Ardel Ledbetter a Private Message Find more posts by Ardel Ledbetter Add Ardel Ledbetter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbender
UKC Forum Member

How

Does that 1/2 birddog cross do on squirrels? Can you describe her positive and neg qualities.

Old Post 04-30-2014 12:15 AM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rod Hardy
UKC Forum Member

Bird Dog X'S

I've seen some with a Big Motor, Great Foot Speed, Good Winding Ability, and Loud Hard Tree Dog. I've seen others that Have Great Hunting Ability and Bottom but Lack the Tree Power needed to Win Hunts. Some make Good Hog Dogs but Sometimes lack the Gameness to Stay Bayed after A Hooking. I like the Speed, Bottom and Nose that most Field Trail Bird Dogs posses.

Old Post 04-30-2014 01:28 AM
Rod Hardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Hardy Click here to Send Rod Hardy a Private Message Find more posts by Rod Hardy Add Rod Hardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danf
UKC Forum Member

Re: Bird Dog X'S

quote:
Originally posted by Rod Hardy

I've seen some with a Big Motor, Great Foot Speed, Good Winding Ability, and Loud Hard Tree Dog. I've seen others that Have Great Hunting Ability and Bottom but Lack the Tree Power needed to Win Hunts. Some make Good Hog Dogs but Sometimes lack the Gameness to Stay Bayed after A Hooking. I like the Speed, Bottom and Nose that most Field Trail Bird Dogs posses.

is it hard to find one that trees well enough out of a litter of pups ???

Old Post 04-30-2014 01:50 AM
danf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danf Click here to Send danf a Private Message Click Here to Email danf Find more posts by danf Add danf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
e town
UKC Forum Member

bird dog cross

Seen one for sale on gon marketplace

Old Post 04-30-2014 02:32 AM
e town is offline Click Here to See the Profile for e town Click here to Send e town a Private Message Click Here to Email e town Find more posts by e town Add e town to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ardel Ledbetter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ardel Ledbetter
I just bred a 1/2 German Shorthair 1/2 OMCBA female to a English.
We will see.

Like Rod said, the bird dog brings a lot to the table. Foot speed, drive, and winding ability being most obvious.
This female that I bred just turned a year old and will tree squirrels. I do not believe that she is solid enough to compete at the highest level. That is the reason that I bred her to a hard treeing English.
I guess that we will have to wait and see. It surely has potential.

Old Post 04-30-2014 12:48 PM
Ardel Ledbetter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ardel Ledbetter Click here to Send Ardel Ledbetter a Private Message Find more posts by Ardel Ledbetter Add Ardel Ledbetter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLAVEYRIVERCURS
Banned

Coleman

Coleman , I'm with you on liking the mixed up ones. I talked with a Lion hunter from AZ. that ran 1/2 & 1/4 German Shorthair mixed in to his hounds. He said the same thing you said about hunting on the run. Sure would like to find the right bird dog cross to throw in with my mixed up bunch someday.

Old Post 05-07-2014 02:43 AM
CLAVEYRIVERCURS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLAVEYRIVERCURS Click here to Send CLAVEYRIVERCURS a Private Message Click Here to Email CLAVEYRIVERCURS Find more posts by CLAVEYRIVERCURS Add CLAVEYRIVERCURS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larson's mutts
UKC Forum Member

i have had 1 half plott half germen shorthair and 1 half redbone half english pointer. i hunted them on bear and coon. they were really good dogs. i wish i still had them.

CLAVEYRIVERCURS - are you talking about dave carlson?

john

Old Post 05-08-2014 09:36 PM
larson's mutts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for larson's mutts Click here to Send larson's mutts a Private Message Find more posts by larson's mutts Add larson's mutts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLAVEYRIVERCURS
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by larson's mutts
i have had 1 half plott half germen shorthair and 1 half redbone half english pointer. i hunted them on bear and coon. they were really good dogs. i wish i still had them.

CLAVEYRIVERCURS - are you talking about dave carlson?

john

John, Yes it was Dave Carlson, Do you know him ?

Old Post 05-09-2014 02:18 AM
larson's mutts
UKC Forum Member

claveyrivercurs - i have only talked to him a couple of time. he seems like a good persons. i have talk to other people that have hunted and/or bought dogs from him. every body said that he has good dogs and is a very honest person. i would like to try one of his dogs some day.

john

Old Post 05-09-2014 10:57 PM
larson's mutts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for larson's mutts Click here to Send larson's mutts a Private Message Find more posts by larson's mutts Add larson's mutts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldman
UKC Forum Member

Re: Coleman

quote:
Originally posted by CLAVEYRIVERCURS
Coleman , I'm with you on liking the mixed up ones. I talked with a Lion hunter from AZ. that ran 1/2 & 1/4 German Shorthair mixed in to his hounds. He said the same thing you said about hunting on the run. Sure would like to find the right bird dog cross to throw in with my mixed up bunch someday.

g s p

Pound Va

Ph: 276-796-5321

i'm drinking from my saucer
cause my cup has overflowed

Old Post 05-10-2014 02:48 AM
oldman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldman Click here to Send oldman a Private Message Click Here to Email oldman Find more posts by oldman Add oldman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fycedogs
Banned

I have a gyp that is the most natural dog I ever owned. Her grandmother is a GSP, but she nicked more than you would think from her bird dog grandma. I'm talking about natural ability, like you would expect a good bird dog pup to lock at 8 weeks old. She has the agility and fine bones of a bird dog. She's a hard treedog, with good handle. But she has good blood on both sides, on top her daddy is a UKC world champion going back to Streak Jr. and maybe more importantly Georgetta. Bottom goes back through a Nite ch to Outlaw Razor Red, #1 reproducing Redbone of all time. So what I'm trying to say is, yes, it can be a good outcross if matched to other good dogs.

Old Post 05-10-2014 04:55 AM
fycedogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fycedogs Click here to Send fycedogs a Private Message Click Here to Email fycedogs Visit fycedogs's homepage! Find more posts by fycedogs Add fycedogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray perry
New UKC Forum Member

dog that won ukc world hunt

The dog that won the ukc world hunt was that a dog named Tazz.That was how he was bred.

Old Post 05-14-2014 10:16 PM
Ray perry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray perry Click here to Send Ray perry a Private Message Click Here to Email Ray perry Find more posts by Ray perry Add Ray perry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danf
UKC Forum Member

I have ways wanted to try a cur/birddog/hound cross I would about be afraid that a hound/birddog cross would be a racehorse without much handle but maybe the cur would put some handle on them

Old Post 05-14-2014 11:40 PM
danf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danf Click here to Send danf a Private Message Click Here to Email danf Find more posts by danf Add danf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fycedogs
Banned

Re: dog that won ukc world hunt

quote:
Originally posted by Ray perry
The dog that won the ukc world hunt was that a dog named Tazz.That was how he was bred.

Right. Danny Frazier owned Taz a couple of years ago and bred him to a UKC grand nite ch red dog of his named Smokin with Tess. That's what my dog is out of.

Old Post 05-15-2014 07:54 PM
fycedogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fycedogs Click here to Send fycedogs a Private Message Click Here to Email fycedogs Visit fycedogs's homepage! Find more posts by fycedogs Add fycedogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glenn Rogers
UKC Forum Member

Who owns Taz now, or does Donnie still own him?

Old Post 05-16-2014 12:06 AM
Glenn Rogers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Glenn Rogers Click here to Send Glenn Rogers a Private Message Click Here to Email Glenn Rogers Find more posts by Glenn Rogers Add Glenn Rogers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fycedogs
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Rogers
Who owns Taz now, or does Donnie still own him?

Glenn it's been a while since I talked to him. He might still have Taz there.

Old Post 05-16-2014 01:45 AM
Glenn Rogers
UKC Forum Member

Thanks, I'll give him a call.

Old Post 05-16-2014 12:00 PM
Glenn Rogers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Glenn Rogers Click here to Send Glenn Rogers a Private Message Click Here to Email Glenn Rogers Find more posts by Glenn Rogers Add Glenn Rogers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray perry
New UKC Forum Member

Tazz

I didn't know if Tazz was still alive he will be 11 this fall I have a litter mate to him.

Old Post 05-16-2014 03:18 PM
Ray perry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray perry Click here to Send Ray perry a Private Message Click Here to Email Ray perry Find more posts by Ray perry Add Ray perry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Timberattler
UKC Forum Member

Donnie still owns Tazz as of this past squirrel season.

Old Post 05-20-2014 03:26 PM
Timberattler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Timberattler Click here to Send Timberattler a Private Message Click Here to Email Timberattler Find more posts by Timberattler Add Timberattler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoking_Bluedog
UKC Forum Member

Anyone cross bird dog with a hound? What traits usually carry on from both sides

Kenneth

owner of:
one Ol Blue Dog

Old Post 06-12-2014 10:04 AM
Smoking_Bluedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smoking_Bluedog Click here to Send Smoking_Bluedog a Private Message Click Here to Email Smoking_Bluedog Find more posts by Smoking_Bluedog Add Smoking_Bluedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Harris712
New UKC Forum Member

I have a litter of 4 on the ground right now if anyone is still interested in trying a gsp x walker hound. Male gsp is a great hunter with an exceptional nose and disposition. Female is a topper again breed dog and a finished lion and bobcat hound. I am likely keeping 2 so only 2 available 2 males 2 females. Call or text if interested 620-283-3736.

Old Post 02-01-2019 05:22 PM
Harris712 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Harris712 Click here to Send Harris712 a Private Message Click Here to Email Harris712 Find more posts by Harris712 Add Harris712 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote