UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > I've decided on breed: walker
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
julietx
UKC Forum Member

I've decided on breed: walker

I have decided to get a walker when I get my coonhound puppy. Ultimately that is my favorite breed. I don't know when I will be able to get the puppy though. There is still a possibility that I could deploy to Iraq so I want to wait until that is over before I get a new puppy. Hopefully my reserve unit will let me know something soon.

I plan to attend the bench show in Atoka, Oklahoma on June 19. Will anyone on here be there? I'd love to meet some of you. I didn't get to attend the one in Paris a while back.

I want to show dogs and maybe do the treeing contests, water races, and nite hunts. If there is anyone in Texas or Oklahoma who could help me train my dog in the woods that would be great. I'm sure my father will go hunting with me when I get my dog. What is a good age to start training? Where are some good places to hunt in Texas? My father says that all the good places where he used to hunt have houses now. That's a shame. There's getting to be fewer places to hunt.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-04-2010 09:07 PM
julietx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for julietx Click here to Send julietx a Private Message Click Here to Email julietx Find more posts by julietx Add julietx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1okiesawyers

The age of a dog too start hunting varies from dog to dog. I take a pup around 6-7 months old, BUT don't expect nothing but it standing in the road with you. If you get a coon on the ground just let him be curious and watch the older dogs mess with it. There are a lot of hunters in your area, it shouldn't be hard to hit a club show & hunt and meet a few people to hunt with. Good luck with your pup when you get it.

Old Post 06-04-2010 09:51 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccoonhunter197
UKC Forum Member

Check out the pics of my one day old babies. This is what cute looks like. Go to the last page. http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...threadid=352946

Brian Teague 252-649-3050

Old Post 06-04-2010 10:15 PM
nccoonhunter197 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccoonhunter197 Click here to Send nccoonhunter197 a Private Message Click Here to Email nccoonhunter197 Find more posts by nccoonhunter197 Add nccoonhunter197 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
julietx
UKC Forum Member

Precious puppies nccoonhunter197!!

Old Post 06-04-2010 10:19 PM
julietx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for julietx Click here to Send julietx a Private Message Click Here to Email julietx Find more posts by julietx Add julietx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skyblu
UKC Forum Member

"Bubba Walker"

D.O.B. March 2010
Coming to me next weekend for training.

Last edited by skyblu on 06-06-2010 at 02:03 PM

Old Post 06-05-2010 01:13 PM
skyblu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skyblu Click here to Send skyblu a Private Message Click Here to Email skyblu Find more posts by skyblu Add skyblu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

I'm just an old country coon hunter, don't know much about dogs, etc., but let me give you something to consider. Don't buy a puppy, buy a good older hound, six, seven, eight years old in good health. this hound will teach you all you need to know about coon hunting. After a year or so when you learn the "ropes" add a nice pup to train with your old dog. The most expensive way to get into coon hunting is with a pup, and there are no guarantees that the pup will make a coon dog. There is a lot of heartache, gasoline and shoe leather between a pup and a coon dog. That good old dog will afford you many hours of fun and enjoyment; that pup will be a lot of frustaration. JMO Tom

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 06-05-2010 03:20 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stokes08
UKC Forum Member

not telling you what to do but there are good dogs in every breed ive had every breed of dog here at the house at one point of time except a plott not that i havent seen one that i like and will tree a coon.but just havent seen one that fits me...but if you want to show dogs and feild trail dogs pm me i will be having some pups this winter that should be great in bout everything...BUT they are REDBONES not walkers...lol

Old Post 06-05-2010 06:50 PM
Stokes08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stokes08 Click here to Send Stokes08 a Private Message Find more posts by Stokes08 Add Stokes08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rump27
UKC Forum Member

Julie,

See you went with the Walkers but we still have the redbone pups in Shreveport La. Good lookin hounds. Would do a fellow military member right. let me know. I am also going to be breeding my NtCh walker male in June so there would be some other pups for you to look at. I love both breeds.

PR RUMP'S SOUTHERN DIXIE
and a Bear Dog named COPPER

Old Post 06-06-2010 02:47 AM
rump27 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rump27 Click here to Send rump27 a Private Message Find more posts by rump27 Add rump27 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
julietx
UKC Forum Member

Who knows, I may have a redbone one of theses days too because I love them also. I think I will start with a walker though. It doesn't look like I will be deploying anytime soon so I may start looking into it here before long. Will any of you be in Atoka, Oklahoma on June 19 for the nite hunt and bench show? I am definitely coming and maybe bringing my father.

Old Post 06-08-2010 03:36 AM
wvhoundsman
UKC Forum Member

JULIETX GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FUTURE PUP AND MOST OF ALL THANK YOU FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY

Old Post 06-08-2010 04:36 AM
wvhoundsman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvhoundsman Click here to Send wvhoundsman a Private Message Click Here to Email wvhoundsman Visit wvhoundsman's homepage! Find more posts by wvhoundsman Add wvhoundsman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fireman Sam
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
I'm just an old country coon hunter, don't know much about dogs, etc., but let me give you something to consider. Don't buy a puppy, buy a good older hound, six, seven, eight years old in good health. this hound will teach you all you need to know about coon hunting. After a year or so when you learn the "ropes" add a nice pup to train with your old dog. The most expensive way to get into coon hunting is with a pup, and there are no guarantees that the pup will make a coon dog. There is a lot of heartache, gasoline and shoe leather between a pup and a coon dog. That good old dog will afford you many hours of fun and enjoyment; that pup will be a lot of frustaration. JMO Tom

proven advice.
Walkers are the right choice. you'll spend 10x's the money on off color pups, but you'll always get an average grade walker. I'm gonna go hide now before they start throwin things at me.

Old Post 06-08-2010 04:43 AM
Fireman Sam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fireman Sam Click here to Send Fireman Sam a Private Message Find more posts by Fireman Sam Add Fireman Sam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

I love Walkers This I know for the numbers tell me so!

Old Post 06-08-2010 08:38 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stokes08
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fireman Sam
proven advice.
Walkers are the right choice. you'll spend 10x's the money on off color pups, but you'll always get an average grade walker. I'm gonna go hide now before they start throwin things at me.

yes you might want to hide...

Old Post 06-08-2010 05:40 PM
Stokes08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stokes08 Click here to Send Stokes08 a Private Message Find more posts by Stokes08 Add Stokes08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barryg35
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fireman Sam
proven advice.

whatever, you'll go through twice as many walkers before you find one that is HALF decent. been there done that

Old Post 06-08-2010 07:27 PM
barryg35 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barryg35 Click here to Send barryg35 a Private Message Click Here to Email barryg35 Find more posts by barryg35 Add barryg35 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fireman Sam
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by l.lyle
I love Walkers This I know for the numbers tell me so!

sing it lyle

Old Post 06-09-2010 04:32 AM
Fireman Sam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fireman Sam Click here to Send Fireman Sam a Private Message Find more posts by Fireman Sam Add Fireman Sam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xamine
UKC Forum Member

Hunt walkers

I've read Walk with Wick, by John Wick...common sense info from 40 years experience....will hekp you a lot in getting started...

Old Post 06-09-2010 04:45 PM
xamine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xamine Click here to Send xamine a Private Message Click Here to Email xamine Find more posts by xamine Add xamine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote