UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Michigan Coon Season
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Michigan Coon Season

Tonight is the night that those state land coons can come down to the young dog. I haven't had a young dog in a couple years so this upcoming kill season has me excited. Good luck to everyone and stay safe out there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-01-2020 08:06 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Blair
UKC Forum Member

Any suggestions on making a trip to Michigan for about three nights of coonhunting? Would be brininging a small camper, any campgrounds near state land that has pretty good hunting. Not looking to kill a bunch of coons just tree a few.

Old Post 10-04-2020 05:24 PM
Mark Blair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Blair Click here to Send Mark Blair a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Blair Find more posts by Mark Blair Add Mark Blair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

PM

PM sent

Old Post 10-04-2020 07:50 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

There's plenty of state ground......
But be prepared to run into 20+ out of state coonhunters...dogs all over....sounds like a "war zone".

State ground coonhunting has changed in the last 2 years......the boys from Indiana r bringing 2-4 truck loads of hunters and dogs.

And then there's the Amish mafia, chitt them boys will dump rite on u ...they don't care.

I live/hunt these state lands thats just minutes from Indiana line
Opening up to out of state hunters is Awfull.
use to be peacefull hunting ain't no more

Thank God for private land !

Old Post 10-04-2020 08:07 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
There's plenty of state ground......
But be prepared to run into 20+ out of state coonhunters...dogs all over....sounds like a "war zone".

State ground coonhunting has changed in the last 2 years......the boys from Indiana r bringing 2-4 truck loads of hunters and dogs.

And then there's the Amish mafia, chitt them boys will dump rite on u ...they don't care.

I live/hunt these state lands thats just minutes from Indiana line
Opening up to out of state hunters is Awfull.
use to be peacefull hunting ain't no more

Thank God for private land !

What has changed in the past 2 years? Asking as someone that is not a resident but have travelled to Michigan to coonhunt on public as well as private lamd. I spend my money for a license, motel, food and so forth. You have the ability to go to other states and do the same. If this comes forth as confrontational that’s not my intent. As a non resident I’m curious to what has changed thanks

Old Post 10-04-2020 09:24 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

It was peaceful... Now its not ....dogs everywhere....

Old Post 10-04-2020 09:34 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
It was peaceful... Now its not ....dogs everywhere....

Should be pretty peaceful in Michigan I thought as everyone there seems to be here in Wyoming deer hunting, lol.

Old Post 10-04-2020 10:03 PM
houndsound is online now Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shaun Paton
UKC Forum Member

Huntin

I will double guarantee that all state land isn't that bad. Up here where I'm at it's way too big of country for most and way too many quill pigs. I haven't seen another hunter or heard hounds in 3 years.

Old Post 10-05-2020 12:08 AM
Shaun Paton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun Paton Click here to Send Shaun Paton a Private Message Find more posts by Shaun Paton Add Shaun Paton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

MICHIGAN State Lands

Just got back from hunting MICHIGAN State Lands in Three Rivers MICHIGAN, first three nights of season Oct 1, 2, and 3 rd. First night no other hunters or dogs, second night 3 or 4 other sets of hunters in same area, zero problems, 3rd night raining only seen one other hunting truck or party. Definitely not the problem as suggested by another poster. Only issue we had was the heavily foliage this time of year as one should expect, no problems striking and treeing coons, Folks in the area were really nice motels and restaurants folks were as nice as you can find. I highly recommend Michigan coon hunting, but would go later when the leaves were off. Dave

Old Post 10-05-2020 02:41 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: MICHIGAN State Lands

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I highly recommend Michigan coon hunting, but would go later when the leaves were off. Dave

Most don't want to come here when leaves fall off....that's when the real coon dogs shine.Wayyyyy too many don't have one.

With coon prices at basically $0,I don't see any out of state hunters and I'm in very southern Mi.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Last edited by 4play on 10-05-2020 at 02:29 PM

Old Post 10-05-2020 02:26 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: MICHIGAN State Lands

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4play
[B]Most don't want to come here when leaves fall off....that's when the real coon dogs shine.Wayyyyy too many don't have one.

Lol. If I did not have a real coon dog, I would not drive over 500 miles, pay for license, motels, gas, and all the other expenses it cost just to hunt. I hunt to see coons not trees, I love winter hunting with no leaves and NO EXCUSES. Dave

Old Post 10-05-2020 08:21 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Megamind
Banned

Then come on up in late December and hunt with me I love to see a good dog work .

Old Post 10-09-2020 04:48 PM
Megamind is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Megamind Click here to Send Megamind a Private Message Click Here to Email Megamind Find more posts by Megamind Add Megamind to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

JMO

Coon been moving great last cpl weeks!
12 yr old Bark male can still tree 5 in less than 2 hours.
Takes me longer to find them

Old Post 10-09-2020 04:54 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

4Play

I love to see old dogs still treeing coons and SOMEONE like you that WILL hunt them. Yelp, those leaves sure make finding them harder, but you CAN find them if they are there, just takes longer. Happy hunting. Dave

Old Post 10-09-2020 06:53 PM
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: 4Play

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I love to see old dogs still treeing coons and SOMEONE like you that WILL hunt them. Yelp, those leaves sure make finding them harder, but you CAN find them if they are there, just takes longer. Happy hunting. Dave

Thank You!
Only Coondog I got now.
He's a freak for his age.Don't look or act 12.Still stone dead independent,been super accurate.Don't bust out like a rocket anymore,he hunts out on a trot.And where I'm at he's struck in 100'-300 yards right now{around corn}
Try to take him 3 nights a week.I enjoy him,He wants to go. He's honestly fun to hunt.No drama,trees coon.Not sure whats gonna happen when cold and frost come on?

I'd feel guilty getting something younger and watch him set,wanting to go.I'm not worried about him dying in the woods.If it happens,he'll go doing what he wanted to do.

Old Post 10-09-2020 07:18 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

4Play

I know the feeling, lost one of the best dogs I have ever seen or hunted with last December at age 14, he was still treeing coons every time I took him. How I would like to own another like him while I can still hunt. I have a special place in my heart for those older coon dogs, if they are a true coon dog. I retired my old dog at 13, but he could and would still tree them coons. I just had younger dogs that needed hunting and he deserved his retirement. Dave

Old Post 10-09-2020 10:56 PM
Megamind
Banned

Lots of coon here this year , been averaging 6 to 8 a night and home by 1130

Old Post 10-12-2020 06:22 PM
Megamind is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Megamind Click here to Send Megamind a Private Message Click Here to Email Megamind Find more posts by Megamind Add Megamind to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Planning road trip

My wife and I are planning a trip to southwest Michigan in October. Probably the third week so the leaves will be pretty to look at while we up there. Coming from southwest Mississippi so it’s gonna be a thousand mile ride. Thinking about staying near Jones Michigan and hunting the state lands around there and Allegan State Game Area. Any advice on the hunting in these places are recommend other lands to hunt in that area? Looking to stay at a cottage or cabin. I’m not a hotel type guy. Like my peace and quite and off to myself with my hounds. Any places yaw recommend? Also if your familiar with the area what good site seeing or places of interest we would want to look at while there. We like to shop old antique store and go to Fall Festivals, stuff like that. Any info is greatly appreciated. Anyone own some private land around that area and want the coons thinned out some I would be glad to pay a access fee. I’m a honest man and nobody will respect your property more than me. Just wanting to enjoy a week long hunt in some thicker coon and better woods than we got in southwest Mississippi thickets. Thanks for any and all info yaw feel like providing.

Old Post 08-02-2021 01:21 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

.Steve your welcome to hunt a night in Lisbon Ohio on your travels also.

Last edited by Ron Jackson on 08-04-2021 at 01:25 AM

Old Post 08-03-2021 10:53 AM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Road trip

Thanks Ron but won’t be able to make a hunt with you on this trip. The route we going is five hours from you so it would be a pretty good detour to make a one night hunt. Haven’t got any feed back on hunting Michigan, not near as many people get on here anymore. Got a lot going on between now and then and hope it works out to where we make the trip. Southern Illinois is just half the distance and that’s where I planned to go and the Shawnee Forest Is a quarter million acres but it won’t have the coon that Michigan has. And Illinois season don’t open until November. I have seen Dave Richards post about hunting near Three Rivers Michigan snd was hoping he would comment and give me some info. Thanks for the invite and maybe one day we will get to meet and make a hunt. Your always welcome down here. Take Care.

Old Post 08-05-2021 04:45 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Steve

Yes, I did hunt in the 3 Rivers area on State lands, but I did have a local hunter meeting up with me and showing me the places to hunt. I did not have to go solo and find places on my own. However Michigan has tons of public lands to hunt on and prides themselves on saying you are never far from State owned land anywhere in the state. My suggestion would be to ask on this Forum for someone local in Michigan or northern Indiania to show you around. I found that the locals are super friendly and very helpful. You can also download maps of the state lands near your destination and hunt solo. You should have zero problems doing that or hook up with a local hunter to hunt with you. That was my first trip ever to Michigan and I enjoyed the hunting, even if the leaves were thick and we encountered rain the last night and cut our trip short. I will help you any way I can. Dave

Old Post 08-07-2021 12:47 AM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Steve, I like to take trips to different parts of the country to coon hunt. I've had better luck looking up clubs on the upcoming events page, find a club close to where I want to hunt, and contact the contact person by phone or text.

dk

Old Post 08-07-2021 04:28 PM
houndsound is online now Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Thanks!

Thanks Dave appreciate the info! Thanks DK appreciate the info also. I hadn’t thought of looking up the local coin club and contacting one of them but that’s a great idea that I could see leading to a lot of helpful info. I love to travel and hunt different states that have better coon population than we do. We like to go in the Fall when the leaves are changing color and go to little towns and their antique shops, cafes snd fall festivals. We planning on either a week in Michigan or maybe a week in Kentucky at Land Between the Lakes then go right up the road to Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois and stay a week. Illinois don’t open until November 10th. That trip is only 500 miles from home snd Michigan is twice as far so cost wise I could do the two weeks almost as cheap as the one week in Michigan, just wouldn’t have near the coon to tree. We researching all places and will make reservations by end of this month when we decide for sure. Thanks to you both for the info!

Old Post 08-07-2021 08:40 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Steve

I think that you will find the hunting in Illinois to be just as good or even better than Michigan and farmers will give you permission to hunt private lands, you just have to ask. Folks are very friendly and Hunter oriented. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 08-08-2021 at 05:00 AM

Old Post 08-08-2021 01:56 AM