UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > nose!?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

nose!?

i know this been talked about many times! so here we go again! last night i sent my 2 1/2 year old female up a mountain stream she hunted up the stream for 700-800 yards with a few areas where she would stop for a few minutes and paint the garmin then she would move it deeper . she finally set down and treed and had a double up the tree!
what do you guys think onbthe type of nose she had? she never barked on track , the first bark i heard was when she located!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-09-2020 02:06 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Some would call her a lay up dog. Sounds better than a dog who just didn't open on track. Lol
Can't tell much about her nose on the information ya gave.

Old Post 10-09-2020 02:14 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lonesomedog1
UKC Forum Member

Nose

If both coons all balled up a sleep in fork of tree she treed a couple lay ups.

Old Post 10-09-2020 02:42 PM
lonesomedog1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lonesomedog1 Click here to Send lonesomedog1 a Private Message Find more posts by lonesomedog1 Add lonesomedog1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Good post. I hear all the time on here that a dog that want open it’s mouth on track an just fall treed is a tight mouth dog that shouldn’t be bred an ruining the competition game. It sounds to me like the dog done it right. She worked the track out, swung out , made circles an carried it out an had her coon. My question is why does it make a difference how much mouth they give, or any at all for that matter. Why should that determine what kinda nose they should have.

Old Post 10-09-2020 03:04 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

My opinion: How much they bark has nothing to do with how cold their nose is. But I do like a dog that opens but not too much.

Old Post 10-09-2020 03:31 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Tom I agree nose and mouth two different things

Old Post 10-09-2020 03:46 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Preacher Tom

You are 100 percent correct nose and mouth are definitely 2 different things. I have see hot nosed tight mouthed dogs and cold nosed tight mouth dogs, and plenty of open mouth dogs that were not very good track dogs, just barking out of excitement. The very best track dogs that I have seen gave mouth according to the track, the colder the track the quieter the do, the hotter the track the more they opened. Dave

Old Post 10-09-2020 07:01 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Preacher Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
You are 100 percent correct nose and mouth are definitely 2 different things. I have see hot nosed tight mouthed dogs and cold nosed tight mouth dogs, and plenty of open mouth dogs that were not very good track dogs, just barking out of excitement. The very best track dogs that I have seen gave mouth according to the track, the colder the track the quieter the do, the hotter the track the more they opened. Dave

my young dog is the opposite from that. The colder the track the more mouth she'll give and the hotter it is the quieter she is. She's not the best dog, and she sure isn't the fastest track dog I've seen but she tree's coons.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-09-2020 08:01 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Preacher Tom

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
my young dog is the opposite from that. The colder the track the more mouth she'll give and the hotter it is the quieter she is. She's not the best dog, and she sure isn't the fastest track dog I've seen but she tree's coons.

The best cold trailing dogs I’ve seen give less mouth when cold trailing and more mouth as the track gets better. I get concerned about dogs that use a lot of mouth when cold trailing. I guess because most of them were better at barking than at moving an old track. Not saying yours is this way, just saying what I’ve experienced.

That being said, I think some dogs that are exceptionally fast will tighten up on mouth when they get close and near enough to catch the coon.

Old Post 10-09-2020 09:03 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Preacher Tom

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
The best cold trailing dogs I’ve seen give less mouth when cold trailing and more mouth as the track gets better. I get concerned about dogs that use a lot of mouth when cold trailing. I guess because most of them were better at barking than at moving an old track. Not saying yours is this way, just saying what I’ve experienced.

That being said, I think some dogs that are exceptionally fast will tighten up on mouth when they get close and near enough to catch the coon.

I agree, like I was trying to say I've seen faster. I think she's an average track dog for speed at best at around 7 or 8 mph. Some nights you'd swear to god some of these dogs bark just to hear themselves do it. Mine doesn't bark very much at all normally. She might give a few barks when she picks it up. But she normally barks here then moves a good ways(200 yards or better) then barks again. And some nights she never barks on the ground much if at all. I've seen better all round dogs go. She's young, and got a later start than some, but she trees coons and not a bunch of blanks or dens.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-09-2020 11:50 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

update.

last night my female had a rough night, first drop she had the coon within 8 minutes. had a 200 yard walk! we made several more drops with no luck! Go on couple of old feeder tracks that she worked on but couldn't get it to a tree! working it deeper and deeper then finely given up and coming back to truck! slow night!

Old Post 10-12-2020 04:14 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

My common sense tells me that on average a winning competition dog will have an average nose...I say this because a super cold nosed dog will take a colder track and will probably lose to a fast tracking medium nosed dog...I don’t want or need a super cold nosed dog...

Just a few days ago my brother calls me and eventually the talk turned to dogs of years gone by...

Well it wasn’t long he brought up Yeller and Smoke...smoke was the uncle to Yeller and a brother to Yellers dam...we named her Dragon lady...

When Yeller was less than or around 4 months he struck and ran his hog to a slew before he lost the pig but Smoke already had struck and was working the tracks...

A week later on another hunt Smoke comes running by and never slows down as he passes through...he crosses a small swamp with an inlet drainage and Yeller comes by and stops and puts his nose in a track...he starts working the track and he is working it backwards...he worked it about 150 yards before he lost it...
Well I was excited and so was my brother...a friend that was along said what are you getting all fired up about...Yeller was working the track the wrong way...
I said...Smoke came through and didn’t pick up on the track...Yeller took it the wrong way...true but he could smell it and he tried to run it and he is a 4 month old pup...he is showing us of what is to come...

His colder nose was definitely a plus...he struck smoking hot tracks and could work an older track as needed...

I have another dog now with a decent nose as well...I see the advantage...one the colder tracks I see the other dogs come and keep going and then this dog comes by and opens and takes a track...he’s also the better rig dog that can wind a long range...

Old Post 10-13-2020 01:37 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Nose

I want a dog to call when he moves the track to new ground. Key word moves! And call again when it moves further to new ground. I would like him to be quiet when hung up and to call as soon as he figures out the hang...A dog that consistently barks on a hang or on a lose is babbling....

Old Post 10-13-2020 04:41 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Nose

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
I want a dog to call when he moves the track to new ground. Key word moves! And call again when it moves further to new ground. I would like him to be quiet when hung up and to call as soon as he figures out the hang...A dog that consistently barks on a hang or on a lose is babbling....

I like what you said...that type of dog pulls in the pack and the chances of stopping the hog improves...

Old Post 10-13-2020 08:22 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote