UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > balls deep in icy water.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

balls deep in icy water.

hit the woods tonight with temps in 40s and some wind. everything pretty well melted and frost coming out, wet everywhere and couldnt be better tracking conditions. wish every night of year was this way besides creeks full of ice jams with deep water and mud and i guess hillsides a bearcat to navigate. LOL. great hunting for dogs just a little tough for lazy houndsmen to get around on foot and especially in vehicle.

first dump sky gets struck fairly close and picked around slowly for some time but gets it moving and slams treed. she was on little tree thats growed into huge dentree with big coon sitting in big tree right above her. went to next spot and cut her loose and messed around close opening a couple times but shut up and got in over 500yds. slammed treed without a track on big tree with single, im certain wasnt what opened on right away but who knows. next run dumped minn and sky together and minn hunted around the area like should but quit and came back, one of them senior nights when not feeling good i guess. looked at garmin right before sky struck and was at 560yds into the wind. poor old dog wanted to head her way but ears like usual werent working and started the other way slow and unsure. sky worked a good track then horse shoed back treeing around 900yds in. i could park in better spot 250yds closer and down hill closer to sky so did and minn followed then headed her way hitting track on way in and treed with her long before i got there.

creeks around here a mess of ice jams and high from snow melt but found place and got crossed with little ice cold water going down waders. found coon and told dogs lets go. bank went down knew would be tough to get back up so walked longer way trying to find known crossing place. my "better" crossing didnt work well, sunk into silt with water well over waist but least could get up bank and not have bluff to go up. bout half dangerous like always this time of year but got back to truck and cranked heater. bout pisses a guy off when have a night can push the crap out of young dog and is going great then that happens. did the smart thing though and headed for the shed and called it a night.

second single.

third and final drop of night.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-18-2017 07:08 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote