UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ideas on coon feeders
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
redneck_girl
UKC Forum Member

Re: j.v.

quote:
Originally posted by CASHMAN
I KNOW ONE THING FOR SURE AND THAT IS EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THERE OWN OPINION BUT JOHN I THINK JUST ABOUT EVERYONE WILL AGREE THAT YOUR OPINIONS ARE SOME OF THE DUMMEST ONES I HAVE EVER READ. AND I DONT EVER RECALLING ANYONE ASKING WHAT YOU THOUGHT ABOUT HALF THE STUFF YOU SO RUDELEY COMMENT ABOUT

I'm thinkin' Mr. Vaught is vastly MISUNDERSTOOD! He can't possibly mean most of the things he says.
NiteChamp Bub, ya'll should engage in a
{{{{{{{{{{{GROUP HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}} for Mr. Vaught. It's the first step in theraputical help.

Proud Owner of
Indian River Kennels
Home of....

The Blueticks...

CH Finchams Indian River Smoke
CH Finchams Ind Riv Wind Dancer
CH Indian River Smokin Rowdy Too
PR' Finchams Indian River WildRose
The Walker...
PR' Fincham's Indian River Scrappy Doo (watch out for this pup and his boy!)

Smoke is now at stud...
(440) 839-2525
(419) 577-5365
www.freewebs.com/finchamsindianriverkennels/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-01-2007 04:49 PM
redneck_girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneck_girl Click here to Send redneck_girl a Private Message Click Here to Email redneck_girl Find more posts by redneck_girl Add redneck_girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerman04
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John Vaught
I think if you hunt a feeder to often it will have an effect on your hound and I also believe a dog hunted on a feeder will be able to get smart enough to know the smell of a feeder and go directly to a feeder bucket........

I guess that makes it a dumb dog with no natural ability... And when you draw out with the person who guides you around feeders all night then your dog should do what?? Run away from the feeders while the other dogs are treed with the + pts. Bust through the country a mile and a half and waste an hour of hunting time. Here in the Ozarks of Mo to get pups going fast you almost have to do it with feeders. Then when a dog knows what he supposed to do then i dont hunt feeders.

JONAH DUCKWORTH

Old Post 02-01-2007 04:49 PM
walkerman04 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerman04 Click here to Send walkerman04 a Private Message Find more posts by walkerman04 Add walkerman04 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bear
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I think if you hunt a feeder to often it will have an effect on your hound and I also believe a dog hunted on a feeder will be able to get smart enough to know the smell of a feeder and go directly to a feeder bucket........

You're a 100% right on that one John.Thats why I only use a feeder to keep coon in the area.I NEVER repeat NEVER turn loose on or near a feeder.I cut loose in the general area.In 5 or 6 years of running feeders I have treed right on the bucket once.

Old Post 02-01-2007 04:54 PM
Bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bear Click here to Send Bear a Private Message Click Here to Email Bear Find more posts by Bear Add Bear to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

I AM SORRY

FOR YOU GUYS/GAL;S THAT HAVE TO USE FEEDERS I NOW KNOW YOU FOLKS JUST NEVER HAVE OR YOU WILL NEVER OWN A DOG WITHOUT SOME SORT OF ARTIFICIAL WAY OF TRAINING.............. IF IT WORKS FOR YOU FOLKS AND YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE THEN SO BE IT. IF I HAVE OFFENDED SOME OF YOU FOLKS I AM SORRY.........YOU ARE KIDDING YOURSELF WHEN YOU THINK A DOG THAT IS BRED RIGHT NEEDS A FEEDER TO START IT...IF YOU HUNT THAT PUP/YOUNG HOUND IT WILL CATCH ON TO HUNTING TRACKING TREEING ON ITS OWN.....YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO BE OUT BUILDING FEEDERS TO GET IT TO TREE OR TO GET THAT OLD DOG TO TREE A COON THAT IS SO OFTEN CALLED A COON DOG BY YOU.........SAY WHAT YOU WISH TO SAY ABOUT ME BUT IF YOU WANT TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT TRAINING OR GETTING THAT OLD DOG TO START TREEING COON ON ITS OWN STOP BULIDING FEEDERS AND STOP FOOLING YOURSELF

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:00 PM
John Vaught is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Vaught Click here to Send John Vaught a Private Message Click Here to Email John Vaught Find more posts by John Vaught Add John Vaught to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TREYE VAN DYNE
UKC Forum Member

I HAVE TONS OF CORN FIELDS IN IOWA AND DONT REALLY NEED FEEDERS BUT NOT EVERY TIMBER WE HUNT HAS CORN OR IS SURROUNDED BY LAND THAT WE CANT HUNT, WE HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT USING FEEDERS TO GET MORE COON TO COME IN TO THE TIMBER WE CAN HUNT. I PERSONALLY WOULDNT USE IT TO START PUPS ON BUT MY LOCATION AND COON POPULATION DOESNT REQUIRE ME TO. I DO POSSIBLY SEE SOME TRUTH TO WHAT JOHN SAID, IF I DID HUNT PUPS OFF OF THEM I WOULDNT DO IT EVERY NIGHT, BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS THE COON POPULATION I DO

Last edited by TREYE VAN DYNE on 02-01-2007 at 05:09 PM

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:01 PM
TREYE VAN DYNE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TREYE VAN DYNE Click here to Send TREYE VAN DYNE a Private Message Click Here to Email TREYE VAN DYNE Find more posts by TREYE VAN DYNE Add TREYE VAN DYNE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitechamp bud
Be weary John, he is wanting to start in with that hugging crap. Who knows what he will want next.
HIGHYELLER WILL FEEL BETTER WHEN HE MEETS ME FOR THAT MOON PIE AND R.C AND THAT TWO BALLS OF BUBBLE GUM.......... HE IS OK .HE IS JUST LEARNING.....BLESS HIS HEART

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:09 PM
John Vaught is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Vaught Click here to Send John Vaught a Private Message Click Here to Email John Vaught Find more posts by John Vaught Add John Vaught to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
highyellerdog
UKC Forum Member

Maybe this weekend

quote:
HIGHYELLER WILL FEEL BETTER WHEN HE MEETS ME FOR THAT MOON PIE AND R.C AND THAT TWO BALLS OF BUBBLE GUM.......... HE IS OK .HE IS JUST LEARNING.....BLESS HIS HEART

Hey, aint there are show at your home club in Richmond this Saturday?

That stuff dont bother me John, I am still smarter and better looking than you, and that is all that matters.

Gr Ch, AKC Ch 'PR' Powerbawl Zoe's Jewel
'PR' Zoe's Twister Bustin' Ruby

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:19 PM
highyellerdog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for highyellerdog Click here to Send highyellerdog a Private Message Click Here to Email highyellerdog Find more posts by highyellerdog Add highyellerdog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walkerman04
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TREYE VAN DYNE
I HAVE TONS OF CORN FIELDS IN IOWA AND DONT REALLY NEED FEEDERS BUT NOT EVERY TIMBER WE HUNT HAS CORN OR IS SURROUNDED BY LAND THAT WE CANT HUNT, WE HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT USING FEEDERS TO GET MORE COON TO COME IN TO THE TIMBER WE CAN HUNT. I PERSONALLY WOULDNT USE IT TO START PUPS ON BUT MY LOCATION AND COON POPULATION DOESNT REQUIRE ME TO. I DO POSSIBLY SEE SOME TRUTH TO WHAT JOHN SAID, IF I DID HUNT PUPS OFF OF THEM I WOULDNT DO IT EVERY NIGHT, BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS THE COON POPULATION I DO

Exactly you have to have coons to train a dog on. If you take a young hound out with out feeders and there are no coons for that hound to tree he will probably start picking up bad habits.... Like running deer, coyotes, foxes,ect... b/c some of the spots i hunt your chances of coming across a coon track before you come across a deer or coyote track are pretty slim. If we had corn fields like you guys do i would absolutly never use feeders. JMO

JONAH DUCKWORTH

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:20 PM
walkerman04 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for walkerman04 Click here to Send walkerman04 a Private Message Find more posts by walkerman04 Add walkerman04 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CASHMAN
UKC Forum Member

Re: I AM SORRY

quote:
FOR YOU GUYS/GAL;S THAT HAVE TO USE FEEDERS I NOW KNOW YOU FOLKS JUST NEVER HAVE OR YOU WILL NEVER OWN A DOG WITHOUT SOME SORT OF ARTIFICIAL WAY OF TRAINING.............. IF IT WORKS FOR YOU FOLKS AND YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE THEN SO BE IT. IF I HAVE OFFENDED SOME OF YOU FOLKS I AM SORRY.........YOU ARE KIDDING YOURSELF WHEN YOU THINK A DOG THAT IS BRED RIGHT NEEDS A FEEDER TO START IT...IF YOU HUNT THAT PUP/YOUNG HOUND IT WILL CATCH ON TO HUNTING TRACKING TREEING ON ITS OWN.....YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO BE OUT BUILDING FEEDERS TO GET IT TO TREE OR TO GET THAT OLD DOG TO TREE A COON THAT IS SO OFTEN CALLED A COON DOG BY YOU.........SAY WHAT YOU WISH TO SAY ABOUT ME BUT IF YOU WANT TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT TRAINING OR GETTING THAT OLD DOG TO START TREEING COON ON ITS OWN STOP BULIDING FEEDERS AND STOP FOOLING YOURSELF

john there are good ways to use feeders if u would think outside the box once in a while instead of spouting off nonsense all the time you would realize that. answer me this question john please i want your wisdom on this, you dont live in the thickest coon population you already dumped your pup out a few times on narrow creeks with pasture on both sides and he didnt hit a track, whats wrong with a feeder on another spot to get a hot track for your pups once in a while. you could certainly do more harm than good if u use this practice to much but i think any knowledgeable houndsman will know when to quite using feeders, u say im fooling myself by using a feeder well i say your an idiot for not knowing how to use one properly.

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:32 PM
CASHMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CASHMAN Click here to Send CASHMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email CASHMAN Find more posts by CASHMAN Add CASHMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitechamp bud
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: j.v.

quote:
Originally posted by redneck_girl

NiteChamp Bub, ya'll should engage in a
{{{{{{{{{{{GROUP HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}} for Mr. Vaught. It's the first step in theraputical help.

No thanks! There are a few on here I wouldn't mind hugging on but John ain't one of them.

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:32 PM
nitechamp bud is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitechamp bud Click here to Send nitechamp bud a Private Message Click Here to Email nitechamp bud Find more posts by nitechamp bud Add nitechamp bud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
neal-williams
UKC Forum Member

Well john I am new on the board but based on what your dogs have done I will take your opinion any time!

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:46 PM
neal-williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for neal-williams Click here to Send neal-williams a Private Message Click Here to Email neal-williams Find more posts by neal-williams Add neal-williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Ice
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: j.v.

quote:
No thanks! There are a few on here I wouldn't mind hugging on but John ain't one of them.

Don't go lying to us Bub!!! LMFAO!!! You would like to be hugged by Ole Johnny V. LOL!!!!!!!

Home of 'GRNTCH 'GRCH PR' Aaron's Hidden Meadows Blue Max (Bluetick)
Gone But Not Forgotten 6/25/15

NiteCh Dalton's Fathead Coonsmoker Ace (English) Gone but not Forgotten

CH'NiteCh'PR' LoneTree Subzero (Walker) Gone but Not Forgotton 5/25/14

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:47 PM
Blue Ice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Ice Click here to Send Blue Ice a Private Message Click Here to Email Blue Ice Find more posts by Blue Ice Add Blue Ice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Carter
UKC Forum Member

Here in the foothills of NC we dont have a large amount of coon or farm land so we use feeders to keep coon in the areas that we hunt. I have used different types and different feeds and the combo that I have used for the past few years is to take a five gallon bucket with removable lid, cut a hole in the lid near the side about the size of a quarter. Put corn,dogfood mixtuer in the bucket and put the lid on. Break a small sapling off bout waist high and slide the bucket handle over the sapling with the hole in the lid near the ground. I don't put them right on the creek but just a little off the creek. This seems not to interfear with the dogs and it drives the coons nuts. They will reach in the hole get the feed and not waste alot. They will shake it spin it round and round but can't get them off the sapling. Another thing I like is that I can carry another bucket into the woods drop it on the sapling and take the empty one with me on the way to the truck. This works for me, good luck.

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:50 PM
Brian Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Carter Click here to Send Brian Carter a Private Message Click Here to Email Brian Carter Find more posts by Brian Carter Add Brian Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitechamp bud
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: j.v.

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Ice
Don't go lying to us Bub!!! LMFAO!!! You would like to be hugged by Ole Johnny V. LOL!!!!!!!

There ain't enough mader juice in the world for that to happen T...LOL....

Last edited by nitechamp bud on 02-01-2007 at 05:53 PM

Old Post 02-01-2007 05:50 PM
nitechamp bud is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitechamp bud Click here to Send nitechamp bud a Private Message Click Here to Email nitechamp bud Find more posts by nitechamp bud Add nitechamp bud to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: j.v.

quote:
Sounds like you made a right decision the same feelings here about you.........

Old Post 02-01-2007 06:09 PM
CASHMAN
UKC Forum Member

OOOOH JOHNNY IM SURE SHE IS TERRIBLE HURT, TAKE THAT BACK.

Old Post 02-01-2007 06:44 PM
CASHMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CASHMAN Click here to Send CASHMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email CASHMAN Find more posts by CASHMAN Add CASHMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Vaught
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by CASHMAN
OOOOH JOHNNY IM SURE SHE IS TERRIBLE HURT, TAKE THAT BACK.
YEAH I CAN ONLY IMAGINE THE TEARS FROM THE PAIN............

Old Post 02-01-2007 07:52 PM
jwebber
New UKC Forum Member

coonfeeders

i am new on the board,but ihave used feeders for 20yrs training and competition. my dezine is 8 inch pvc 5 feet tall with two caps on bottom 1 an a quarter hole with a metal nipple. if you use a pvc nipple the coon will chew it, the food i use is dog food from foodlion warehouses(125 per ton) or dog food producers. i got 55 gallon drum for 30 $, and 100% science diet out dated on the bages. HOPE THIS WILL HELP

Old Post 02-03-2007 02:47 PM
jwebber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jwebber Click here to Send jwebber a Private Message Click Here to Email jwebber Find more posts by jwebber Add jwebber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wwalker1
Banned

feeder

thank you jwebber.

Old Post 02-03-2007 03:01 PM
wwalker1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wwalker1 Click here to Send wwalker1 a Private Message Click Here to Email wwalker1 Find more posts by wwalker1 Add wwalker1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjflores
Banned

John Vaught needs to open his eyes and realize that his tiny sliver of America is NOT what's it's like everywhere in the country.

Maybe where JV lives, there's plenty of coon and the possibility of your pup finding a coon track to run are good to very good. Here in my area...you can try your best to turn a pup out into an area where it'll find a coon to run and there may not be a coon within 5 miles. In this situation, not using a feed bucket is FAR WORSE than using a feed bucket to hunt a pup off and get pup running coon. Here's a scenario...pup is 8 months old, and gamey. He's barking at squirrels behind the kennel...winding fox or coyote and striking from the pen at night. He's ready to take a track, and will tear up a cage to get at a caught coon. You take pup on his first solo outing and cut him loose in an area where there should be coon but arent. Are you really stupid enough to think that pup is gonna go hunting, not find a coon, so come back in to you? No...ya know whats gonna take place? Gamey pup is gonna probably take the first track he cuts..or maybe the second. He's gonna cook a coyote, porky, deer, fisher, fox track...whatever he finds because he's a gamey puppy with the desire to run....and run something he will. Now instead of having a puppy that doesnt fully know whats he's looking for, you have the same + a puppy that had a ball running trash and has developed a bad habit on the first trip out. Shock him you say? Yeah right, shock a pup on his first night out. People who do that are the same ones selling pup after pup because they wont cut the mustard for them in the woods. Pup did'nt do anything wrong, the handler did.
Feed buckets keep coon in an area and assure your pup a nice fresh coon track to take. A second grade school room is a controlled environment and so should the woods be where you're tryign to get pup started. After a pup runs and trees a few coon, and knows what he's supposed to run..now you can branch out and make him try to find his own coon. I also agree that once you have a well started hound...you cant be cutting loose on a bucket..make him find coon, make him have to refuse trash and find a coon or come in. Now you can start trash breaking if you need to but you may not because you started the pup right. thats my thought on starting a puppy...and why I use a feed bucket to do it.

Old Post 02-03-2007 04:13 PM
mjflores is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mjflores Click here to Send mjflores a Private Message Find more posts by mjflores Add mjflores to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Arkansas Frog
UKC Forum Member

Loved this thread, John hang in there.

Frog

Old Post 02-03-2007 05:07 PM
Arkansas Frog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Arkansas Frog Click here to Send Arkansas Frog a Private Message Click Here to Email Arkansas Frog Find more posts by Arkansas Frog Add Arkansas Frog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott simmons
UKC Forum Member

alot of the guys around here have been using the rackmaster deer feed and say the coon love cant keep the buckets full

Old Post 02-03-2007 11:13 PM
scott simmons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scott simmons Click here to Send scott simmons a Private Message Click Here to Email scott simmons Find more posts by scott simmons Add scott simmons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Donaldson
UKC Forum Member

This picture was posted some time ago. It looks like a good design by someone with a lot of experience in the coon feeding department.

Mike Donaldson
donaldsonmb@bellsouth.net

Old Post 02-04-2007 01:11 AM
Mike Donaldson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Donaldson Click here to Send Mike Donaldson a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Donaldson Find more posts by Mike Donaldson Add Mike Donaldson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott simmons
UKC Forum Member

ah ha the truth finally comes out but that what we make our buckets out of too john works great but i guess u know that

Old Post 02-04-2007 02:06 AM
scott simmons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scott simmons Click here to Send scott simmons a Private Message Click Here to Email scott simmons Find more posts by scott simmons Add scott simmons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
highyellerdog
UKC Forum Member

Oh Yea!

quote:
Originally posted by MBD
This picture was posted some time ago. It looks like a good design by someone with a lot of experience in the coon feeding department.

Love it, that is soooooo funny.

Gr Ch, AKC Ch 'PR' Powerbawl Zoe's Jewel
'PR' Zoe's Twister Bustin' Ruby

Old Post 02-04-2007 03:34 PM
highyellerdog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for highyellerdog Click here to Send highyellerdog a Private Message Click Here to Email highyellerdog Find more posts by highyellerdog Add highyellerdog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote