UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hybrid vigor ?
Pages (8): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breeders

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I want to say that I truly appreciate ALL of the dedicated breeders accross our great nation. Breeders that have committed many years and many dollars trying to breed a superior line of coon dogs. I truly respect their efforts, without them we would NEVER have the number if good dogs we have today. A dedicated breeder may NOT want to cross breed with another breed of hound and spend the time culling to get consistency in the offspring. I only think that one should cross breed to get immediate results with maybe a few superior pups for ones own use as hunting dogs. Cross breeding is definitely not for everyone, non should it be. Cross breeding is just one tool available , for those with a purebred line of dogs that produce consistent coon dogs with the traits you desire, cross breeding would be the last thing you would want. Dave

Good post Dave...👍

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:13 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

I totally support my dad in this. All though iam all walker dog man. But ever since UKC created the X bred it's made me want to try it. I have hunt with nice hounds of all breeds. My grandpa owned one of the nicest English dogs I have ever hunted with. He was swamp rooster bred. I also like the leporad hounds. Recently I hunted with a good friends X breed red dog. He was a really nice hound. I think the x bred will help coonhunting.

Dad has really been studying this stuff and will be making a cross on his NITECH gyp soon.

My goals is to take what I have of my dads blood and buy some nice bred walker gyps as pups. I have some things in mind just have to take my time and study my crosses.

I have even been studying some X bred crosses for the future and learning who has what blood.

Old Post 12-14-2019 06:22 PM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Nice to see the father and son teams and those that go into the 3rd generation and beyond. Seems to me it's not all that common to see these days in the hunting hound sports.

Old Post 12-14-2019 06:29 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Nice to see the father and son teams and those that go into the 3rd generation and beyond. Seems to me it's not all that common to see these days in the hunting hound sports.

Yes sir I have learned everything I know about hounds and still learning. Iam a 3rd generation coonhunter. My papa started it all. We walked a many miles behind him.

Old Post 12-14-2019 07:04 PM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

I am sold on it for sure , but the crosses got to be right , temperment , handling , and of course track and tree etc. went to the Western Wall tonight , treed 2 and caught a big 25 lb hard running Boar Coon on the ground.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 12-15-2019 10:33 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Tarbaby, if your current breeding plan isn't working then you should try something different. It is a smart move on your part. So what have you been doing in the past that didn't work for you? What was your breeding plan/strategy that didn't work?

I have been trying for 25 years to produce nice pups. I have tried breeding "coondog to coondog". I have tried breeding "winner to winner". I even tried breeding a nice Redbone female to Million $ Elmo. I have tried them all but none of them alone worked for me. I have found that I have better success by combining all of the breeding practices together. It is a lot more dificult but works better in the end.
But a big problem with breeding competition dogs is that the standard keeps changing. We have gone from track dogs to tree dogs. We have gone from accuracy to speed to accuracy. We have gone from pack dogs to independent dogs. We have gone from close hunters to deep hunters. About the time that you get your traits fixed, the standard changes.
Good luck with your crossbreeding but that is what it is, not "hybrid vigor". You are X breeding to get desired traits. You could care less about hybrid vigor.

So are you responsible for the Elmo breeding or is Shane?

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-21-2019 12:11 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If you know anything about me then you would know that I sure didn't keep it a secret when I bred my female to Elmo. David Carr also let everyone that would listen know. Apparently it is a little known fact but there was a Redbone female in the ancestery of a well known walker line and he wanted to try to replicate it. Where do you think that gorgeous red head comes from. Some think that x breeding is something new but it isn't. It has been tried since the very beginning but with very limited success. Anyway I had to single register the pups as Redbones because there was no x bred at the time. There was a loophole that let you PKC single register pups as long as they "met the breed standard". The PKC Redbone men pitched such a fit that PKC came up with their X bred program. But after all of that not one of the pups turned out to be much. I learned my lesson from that. I have tried about every breeding practice and finally settled on what I go by today. It has been 25 yrs of trial and error.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-21-2019 at 12:56 AM

Old Post 12-21-2019 12:53 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Tarbaby, if your current breeding plan isn't working then you should try something different. It is a smart move on your part. So what have you been doing in the past that didn't work for you? What was your breeding plan/strategy that didn't work?

I have been trying for 25 years to produce nice pups. I have tried breeding "coondog to coondog". I have tried breeding "winner to winner". I even tried breeding a nice Redbone female to Million $ Elmo. I have tried them all but none of them alone worked for me. I have found that I have better success by combining all of the breeding practices together. It is a lot more dificult but works better in the end.
But a big problem with breeding competition dogs is that the standard keeps changing. We have gone from track dogs to tree dogs. We have gone from accuracy to speed to accuracy. We have gone from pack dogs to independent dogs. We have gone from close hunters to deep hunters. About the time that you get your traits fixed, the standard changes.
Good luck with your crossbreeding but that is what it is, not "hybrid vigor". You are X breeding to get desired traits. You could care less about hybrid vigor.

It seems that the hunting standard for competition coon dogs should be set and not changed...the standard should be created so that the best type of coon dog will be bred...the best coon dog should be the same whether it is a pleasure hound or a competition hound...

When this is set without deviation then breeders like you can breed consistency into your dogs...

If the dogs get too hot nosed...reel in the breeding program and not change the standard to fix the hot nosed dog...

If the nose gets too cold reel in the cold nose with the breeding programs and not change the standard to accommodate the cold nose...otherwise how can anyone breed consistency in a breeding program? Doesn’t make sense...tweaking the dogs is a lot easier than chasing a standard that changes to accommodate a few folks at that particular time...

Old Post 12-21-2019 03:27 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Souders
UKC Forum Member

I don't get on the forum much but came across this thread and read the 7 pages. It was pretty interesting. I'm not a breeder by any means but just going to throw my 2 cents out there anyways. lol I think hybrid vigor is a non scientific term that is derived from the study's of Sewall Wright in the 1920's. He was referring to the health and well being of stock (Vigor) Going down as the breeding got closer and closer. As noted earlier in a post of this thread the first signs are health and fertility deteriorate. If your not seeing small sickly litters you probably have nothing to worry about. We're lucky enough to not just have a wild guess at it also you can actually calculate how inbreed our dogs are using his work. A minimum of 5 generations is generally a good rule. Also line breeding is inbreeding LOL.

Old Post 02-05-2020 08:49 PM
Matt Souders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Souders Click here to Send Matt Souders a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Souders Find more posts by Matt Souders Add Matt Souders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Souders
UKC Forum Member

I don't get on the forum much but came across this thread and read the 7 pages. It was pretty interesting. I'm not a breeder by any means but just going to throw my 2 cents out there anyways. lol I think hybrid vigor is a non scientific term that is derived from the study's of Sewall Wright in the 1920's. He was referring to the health and well being of stock (Vigor) Going down as the breeding got closer and closer. As noted earlier in a post of this thread the first signs are health and fertility deteriorate. If your not seeing small sickly litters you probably have nothing to worry about. We're lucky enough to not just have a wild guess at it also you can actually calculate how inbreed our dogs are using his work. A minimum of 5 generations is generally a good rule. Also line breeding is inbreeding LOL.

Old Post 02-05-2020 08:49 PM
Matt Souders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Souders Click here to Send Matt Souders a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Souders Find more posts by Matt Souders Add Matt Souders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

The outcross will only work if the dog you are breeding to is proven to reproduce good high quality offspring. As many top quality dogs do not even come close to reproducing themselves many just don’t even have mediocre offspring.

Tar

Old Post 02-05-2020 10:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Souders
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
The outcross will only work if the dog you are breeding to is proven to reproduce good high quality offspring. As many top quality dogs do not even come close to reproducing themselves many just don’t even have mediocre offspring.

Tar

True wether it’s an outcross or inbreeding.

You looking at big country because you really like what he has to possibly offer you, or do you feel your line is lacking? Or combination of both?

Old Post 02-05-2020 11:41 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I have bred mine to close I have what you call tired blood. I was looking at a total outcross on an above average athlete. Unfortunately I have hunted with three of his offspring and they do not suit me. Shack is an above average athelete and I have hunted with several of his offspring out of different females they suit me although it will be some of the same blood I will take my chances.

Just my honest opinion.

Tar

Old Post 02-05-2020 11:49 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I have bred mine to close I have what you call tired blood. I was looking at a total outcross on an above average athlete. Unfortunately I have hunted with three of his offspring and they do not suit me. Shack is an above average athelete and I have hunted with several of his offspring out of different females they suit me although it will be some of the same blood I will take my chances.

Just my honest opinion.

Tar

Tar the Shack pups I have seen have fire in them.

Old Post 02-06-2020 12:02 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Just my honest opinion.

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 12:03 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom

Kinda hard to explain typing it. I got dogs that tree coons as good as most would like but it has got to where every cross is just about the same. Ever since GrCh grntch yadkin tar deacon died I been trying to get him again I have tried from every angle. Grandfather x granddaughter and nephew x aunt double and triple bred. I am just going out and take a chance this will be my last cross.

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 12:19 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
A top reproducing bluetick and a winning bluetick.

When you have walkers the all grand pedigree and close family breeding has more less caused tired blood yes they tree coons but mine seem to have just stayed the same I want some improvement.

Tar

breed to a American leopard hound ,a little shot of curr dog never hurts a thing ,lol

Old Post 02-06-2020 12:50 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Thomasg what’s your point ?

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 12:57 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Thomasg what’s your point ?

Tar

looking in a old American cooner I came across a photo that caught my eye, Tennessee lead was used as a out cross in the walker breed years ago and looked nothing like a walker hound , what he looks like to me is leopard , a leopard could add some hybrid vigor ,

Last edited by thomasg on 02-06-2020 at 02:00 PM

Old Post 02-06-2020 01:47 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

My whole point is the walker breed actually there is no outcross just because of the sheer numbers of pups some stud dogs produced. That’s why I thing the walkers are experiencing more health issues than the other breeds. The only way to get an complete outcross like you said is go to anouther breed. But finding a complete athelete in anouther breed that is a reproducer also will take more research than I have time.

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 01:55 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Tarbaby, what about the Final Four in the truck hunt that PKC just had. Weren't they all outcrosses? Why don't you look at their sires?

Old Post 02-06-2020 01:57 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Richard I been busy I need to go look at it there are so many hunts now sometimes I miss some.

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 02:09 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Tar, somebody must be making some pretty good Walker to Walker crosses. I think they still win every now and then.

Old Post 02-06-2020 03:54 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Donald once you ever found that needle in a haystack you can pretty much bet you will never find it again. I just will have to enjoy what I got because I am poor and those needles in a haystack cost as much as a new automobile now days.

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 04:03 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Tar, don't feel bad. Secretariat's owner has a little more money than you and me and he's still looking for what he once had.

Old Post 02-06-2020 04:09 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote