UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Stop complaining-get a rich man’s dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Stop complaining-get a rich man’s dog

Stop blaming the rules. It’s what’s on the end of your leash. Look for a dog that does the following

- leaves like a rocket not worrying about what’s lined up next to it is doing or going.
- fines a coon and trees it with little to no downtime.
—- remember contrary to what people on this forum or your friends tell you the most downtime you will ever have is when your hound is treed and don’t produce you plus points. That’s the most downtime you will ever have. So accuracy is the name of the game
-will recut hard off the tree and not go to treed or trailing dog. And go tree another one with no downtime.
-take it to hunts and campaign it. You won’t win every night but will find yourself in the winners circle all the time.
- someone you draw will tell a rich man about your dog.
- you will get a phone call one day from a rich man.
- rich man will probably then own your dog even if it don’t strike automatically.
Thanks for reading

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-25-2023 01:19 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Lol. That pretty well tells the truth about what is happening these days. I am old school myself and remember when dogs like that could not be bought at any price as they meant much more to their owner/s. It seems like today that dogs are just another tool to be bought and sold just as a truck or any other tool. I bought and kept my dogs until they died if they were coon dogs. Some things mean more than money or at least they used to. Dave

Old Post 01-26-2023 12:26 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Lol. That pretty well tells the truth about what is happening these days. I am old school myself and remember when dogs like that could not be bought at any price as they meant much more to their owner/s. It seems like today that dogs are just another tool to be bought and sold just as a truck or any other tool. I bought and kept my dogs until they died if they were coon dogs. Some things mean more than money or at least they used to. Dave

Back about 6 years ago I drew Barry kiddy at the Alabama pro hunt. When we got to where we were hunting he pulled that Power Trip dog out of the box. At the time he was just a pup and he was hunting him at a pro hunt. I said what you got there Kiddy. He said “Nick this here is a rich man’s dog”.lol. I keep looking for a rich man’s dog at a poor boys price.

Old Post 01-26-2023 02:03 AM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Nick

The one thing I keep seeing over and over is folks with dogs that I call junk and them asking a "coon dog" price. Seems like a lot of folks think every dog is a coon dog and price them accordingly. Lol. I just shake my head and laugh. Real coon dogs are worth whatever they are priced at, it's amazing how many think a cull is valuable. Dave

Old Post 01-26-2023 03:49 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OHC00N
UKC Forum Member

Re: Nick

quote:
The one thing I keep seeing over and over is folks with dogs that I call junk and them asking a "coon dog" price. Seems like a lot of folks think every dog is a coon dog and price them accordingly. Lol. I just shake my head and laugh. Real coon dogs are worth whatever they are priced at, it's amazing how many think a cull is valuable. Dave

I agree, people say well look at the amount of money can be won today in the hunts. Well only 2% of the dogs are at a level of skill and that a handler should have confidence in to put down $2000 for an entry fee. However 98% of sellers believe those dogs can compete.

I have and always will be an eight week old puppy and train/raise myself. If it is junk at least I can blame myself or if and I do put the effort in, I can blame the dog and I’m not out thousands or took a cull off someone’s hands for thousands.

Old Post 01-26-2023 05:30 PM
OHC00N is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OHC00N Click here to Send OHC00N a Private Message Click Here to Email OHC00N Find more posts by OHC00N Add OHC00N to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OHC00N
UKC Forum Member

Re: Nick

quote:

I agree, people say well look at the amount of money can be won today in the hunts. Well only 2% of the dogs are at a level of skill and that a handler should have confidence in to put down $2000 for an entry fee. However 98% of sellers believe their dog can compete.

I have and always will be an eight week old puppy and train/raise myself. If it is junk at least I can blame myself or if and I do put the effort in, I can blame the dog and I’m not out thousands or took a cull off someone’s hands for thousands.

Old Post 01-26-2023 05:30 PM
OHC00N is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OHC00N Click here to Send OHC00N a Private Message Click Here to Email OHC00N Find more posts by OHC00N Add OHC00N to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Will Walker
UKC Forum Member

i bought an English dog off of a guy for around $4000 that was clear useless. No mouth, stood at the base of the tree and wouldnt bark, chopped on the ground and was told he bawled,one lie after another....when i asked the guy about him he said he was cheap based on what some guys are getting for them. I learned a valuable lesson but to me an 800 dollar dog should be sold for 800, it shouldnt matter that old Florida guy gave 40,000 for a few.

Old Post 01-26-2023 09:25 PM
Will Walker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Will Walker Click here to Send Will Walker a Private Message Click Here to Email Will Walker Find more posts by Will Walker Add Will Walker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Will Walker
i bought an English dog off of a guy for around $4000 that was clear useless. No mouth, stood at the base of the tree and wouldnt bark, chopped on the ground and was told he bawled,one lie after another....when i asked the guy about him he said he was cheap based on what some guys are getting for them. I learned a valuable lesson but to me an 800 dollar dog should be sold for 800, it shouldnt matter that old Florida guy gave 40,000 for a few.

This is a prime example of folks thinking a plug is worth that much, simply based on what a real coon dog is worth. Less than 2 percent of all hounds make what I call a coon dog. Dave

Old Post 01-28-2023 08:26 PM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
This is a prime example of folks thinking a plug is worth that much, simply based on what a real coon dog is worth. Less than 2 percent of all hounds make what I call a coon dog. Dave

Dave I’m starting a line of coondogs called the Letdown line. I changed the name of the dog I’m promoting to this. That way if they start to talk about how sorry he is they can always say that that’s probably why I named him this. When he starts acting stupid I just revert back to why I call him that. That way if you buy a Letdown pup you can be psychologically prepared to handle the Letdown. It don’t matter how nice they are, a coondog will often Let you down. But you are correct a lot of people think they have a world class or elite hound that have a lot of holes they don’t see and are certainly just going to be pot donater at the larger entry fee hunts.

Old Post 01-29-2023 05:34 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Stop complaining, get a rich man's dog. That's something I always wanted to do. I thought I had a better chance of training one myself than getting rich, so that's the route I took. Shoulda gone for rich.

Old Post 01-29-2023 06:17 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote