UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Misty River Kennels
Pages (77): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Gin

I hunted Gin tonight for her first time out alone. I took her to a couple of feeders to see If I could get her on a hot coon. I turned her loose on the first one, she struck and away she went. She didn't open a lot on the track, just enough to let me knoe which way she was going. She went in about 200 yrds and treed. I went to her as quickly as possible. She was milling around some when I got there, but she went back and treed some after I got there. I would have liked to have got it out to her, but if he was there he wasn't looking. We went back to the 4-wheeler and went on to another feeder. I turned her loose and she struck and didn't go far and treed again. I saw her coons before I got to the tree. She had three little coons and while I was looking at them farther over I could see another coon in another tree and it looked much bigger and I figured it was the mama coon watching to see what was going to happen to her babies. After that I didn't near bout have the heart to shoot one out. We'll get to run all these again sometime and Gin will have to wait for another nite to get one out on her. we walked back to the 4-wheeler and called it a night.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-15-2014 05:44 AM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

GIN

ITs fun hunting those young ones and a few bucket feeders with Ole Roy in them will give you some hot tracks to get them started good on. Sounds like GIN is progressing along great. I know how you feel about those kit coon MR. Jack, in my younger days I didn't think twice about popping one out to a deserving hound but I would have done the same as you did tonight and left the little fellows up. She will get after an old boar one night that will give her a good run and you can put that one on her. A lot of people think all feeder coon just pop right up a tree but I have had just as many or more long races that gives the pup some education that they need. Keep Gin in the woods MR. Jack, she sounds like she's going to be a keeper. Take Care and Good Hunting!

Old Post 08-15-2014 07:52 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ClaytonDaniels
UKC Forum Member

Doll V

Doll V done a great job tonight and Carson got his first coon with her.

601-466-3107

Old Post 08-18-2014 04:54 AM
ClaytonDaniels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ClaytonDaniels Click here to Send ClaytonDaniels a Private Message Click Here to Email ClaytonDaniels Find more posts by ClaytonDaniels Add ClaytonDaniels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

I sent you a private message awhile back. Don't know if you received it or not. If you will message me your address, I will send the picture of Spud. I had it enlarged, and it turned out pretty good. I have one of him standing, and one on the tree. These are the only two pictures that exists of Smokey River Spud. Thanks, and God Bless!!!!

Home of Mayberry Blueticks
Jhn. 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Old Post 08-18-2014 10:40 PM
Craig Edwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craig Edwards Click here to Send Craig Edwards a Private Message Visit Craig Edwards's homepage! Find more posts by Craig Edwards Add Craig Edwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Edwards

My address:

Jack Smith
1237 River Road
Oakvale, Ms. 39656

Old Post 08-19-2014 12:58 AM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Young dogs

You never know what they might do from one outing to the next. We had four young dogs last night. Me and Jeremy met Clayton at his house. We had Shadow, Little Penny, Doll V and Tramp 11. We struck the first coon off the 4-wheeler and we turned Shadow, Penny and Tramp loose. They smoked the coon in for about 150 yrds and I think the coon went up, but the dogs blew right on thru. They hushed barking, but they went on in for another 350 yrds and made a turn and came back. We caught them and loaded up and went to another spot. We turned Shadow and Doll V Loose, They went in a couple hundred yrds and struck a working track and worked it in for about 500 yrds. Clayton said they were fixing to get into some bad country, and Jeremy had to be at work early this morning so they decided to catch them. Jeremy left for home and me and clayton loaded up Tramp and Doll V and headed to another spot. We dropped them out and they went in about 400 yrds without striking and had started circling back toward us. While they were out Clayton went by and checked one of his game cameras and it showed a group of several hogs had just came thru. about that time the dogs struck, and looking at hogs on camera and young dogs striking in the same area will set your mind wondering, even if you have never had any trash problems before. They moved the track out quickly and made a circle through the swamp and headed toward highway 43. We took a trail through the woods and came close to the highway and caught Doll. Tramp was nowhere to be seen and I had just changed batteries in my Garmin and it would not pick up. We had to go back around to get back out to 43 hwy.. For the gate was locked on the road we were on. We made it back around and came out to the highway and back around close to where we had picked up Doll. We couldn't hear anything and my garmin was acting crazy. It was saying tramp was back toward claytons house, but it was showing a question. We started back toward clayton's house and the yards started dropping off the Garmin. We went back to where it said he was near and nothing was there so we went back to where we had picked up Doll and we could hear Tramp treed about 200 yrds farther down, Just off the highway. He had a coon. We decided we had enough excitement for one night so we loaded Tramp up and called it a night.

Old Post 08-19-2014 09:20 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp and Gin

I made 3drops with Tramp and Gin, but the tracks were so bad that they just couldn't do anything with them. On the 4th drop they hit another cold track. They worked that ole track up an ole slough for several hundred yrds. Gin was really having a rough time, but she stayed in there and helped where she could. They both bumped a couple of trees,but never settled. After a while Tramp located and settled. It was pretty rough walking on my side of the slough, but I finally made it in there to them. Gin had treed some, but she had never really settled on the tree. I backed off to where I could see and there sat the coon a little over half way up the tree. I thought he looked to be about half grow, but when he hit the ground. He wasn't hardly as big as a squrrell. I guess the ole mama coon had really laid a rough track before putting this one up. I leashed up the dogs and headed for the 4-wheeler. I was in close to an old woods road. It was a little farther to walk it back, but it was clean walking and I wouldn't have to wade the slough again. We made it back to the 4-wheeler and called it a night. Tuesday Night, 8-19-14

Last edited by Misty river on 08-20-2014 at 08:03 AM

Old Post 08-20-2014 07:57 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp and Gin

It wasn't any cooler tonight, but the hunting was better. The coons seemed to be on the move tonight. I dropped Tramp and Gin out and they went in a ways and struck a good track and moved it in another hundred yrds or so and treed. When Gin gets it all togeather she's going to be a nice little tree dog. I walked in to them and they were treed up a huge pine, with so many smaller trees around that I could hardly see anything. I finally found one small spot to look thru and there he sat. I tried to find a better spot and I lost him and didn't see him again. We walked back to the 4-wheeler and moved on up the swamp. We were riding along and Gin and Tramp started barking and throwing a fit on back of the 4-wheeler, so I dropped them off and the race was on. They didn't go but about a hundred yrds and treed. I walked in to them and found the coon pretty quick. I decided I would give them this one because Gin had done a good job on it. I walked back to the 4-wheeler and got the rifle and when I came back I couldn't find him, I knew about where he was the first time I saw him. H was on a large limb wth small limbs and leaves covering it. I shot about 4 or 5 times along that limb. I didn't think I had hit anything. I walked under the tree to shake a vine and I heard something hit the ground behind me, turned to look and there was the coon, which proves that if you are lucky enough you don't have to be good. He wasn't fully dead so I turned the dogs loose on him and they did their job and we called it a night. The coons must have been moving good everywhere tonight for I had text Jeremy and Clayton and they were both having good hunts.------Wed. nite 8-20-14

Old Post 08-21-2014 06:30 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp and Gin

Tonight was almost just the opposite from lastnite only I think it was hotter. Tramp struck two cold tracks and worked them both out and treed them, but I didn't find either one of them. On the last drop I turned him up a slough and he was gone close to an hour without a bark. When he came back in I loaded him up. When I turned them loose the third time Jin had went the opposite way from Tramp and she was trailing an old cold track the other way. So me and Tramp headed in her direction. I heard her when she treed, but it was going to take us awhile to get to her, Either wadding sloughs or around the long way by 4-wheeler. Me and Tramp decided to take the long way around. I stopped a couple of times to listen and she was still treed, but by the time we got to her she had gotten off the tree. I cant say that I blame her, man it was hot last night. I petted her on the head anyway and we called it a night.---------Friday nite---8-22-14

Last edited by Misty river on 08-23-2014 at 07:52 AM

Old Post 08-23-2014 07:48 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp

I thought Gin needed a rest so I hunted Tramp alone tonight. 1st drop Tramp went in about 100 yrds and struck a working track, moved it in about another 200 yrds and treed. I walked in to him and he was treed up a large oak. It was hard to shine because of other large oaks around it. I walked around it a couple of times shinning and finally found him up near the top. I don't like to shoot a coon out anytime and especially this time of year, because nearly everyone you shoot out will be a sow coon, but I neededto get one out on Tramp and luckly this one was a boar coon. After Tramp was finished with the coon we made our way back to the 4-wheeler with Tramp carrying the coon as he usually does. We moved on up the swamp and turned him loose again. He move in about 400 yrds and struck a cold track. He was moving the track fairly well, but he wasn't opening much. He moved the track up river for another 400 yrds, but I could tell by watching the garmin tha he was having a lot of trouble with it. I followed him up river on an old 4-wheeler trail. I was watching him on the garmin and he started coming back toward me. I thought he had give it up, and then he started moving back up river again, but he was getting in next to about a 600 acre cut over. I knew with a track like this he didn't need to get in there, so I called him out and we called it a nite.

Old Post 08-24-2014 06:39 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

TRAMP

MR. Jack are you going to make it up to Flora, IL. for the Roundup with Tramp? Sounds like he is really doing a good job for you and if one looks good hunting in this hot weather they should look super great when it cools off. I'm going to take BO up there for his first hunt and my first hunt in a bunch of years. Really looking forward to it and seeing the ones I know and meeting some ones I don't. Take Care and Good Hunting!

Old Post 08-24-2014 07:47 PM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

BBCHA Fall Roundup

Steve, If nothing happens we have plans to be there. Right now we have plans to have Tramp, his Litter mate sister Doll V and Shadow there. I haven't been in a couple of years so I to am looking forward to it.

Old Post 08-25-2014 06:24 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp

You win some and you loose some. Tonight Tramp struck Two cold tracks. I think he lost the first one. It was just to cold for him. He put a tree on the end of it but I'm pretty sure he didn't have a coon. The second one I'm pretty sure he had him, but I couldn't get him to look. We'll get after those two another night.-----Monday 8-25-14

Old Post 08-26-2014 07:18 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp & Gin

The coons seemed to be on the move last night. I turn Tramp and Gin loose up here in the swamp last night. We were going down an old woods road to where I was going to turn loose, and all of a sudden Gin just started screaming. I stopped the 4-wheeler and dropped her and Tramp off. They made a couple circles close to the 4-wheeler and lined it out, and I knew pretty quick that if they didn' t tree him before they got there they were headed to some bad country. They didn't tree him before they got there. From where I turned loose they were 400 yrds. headed north. I came out from where I was at and hit another road to get closer. I went in on this road to about where I figured they had crossed. I listened and the garmin said they were 300 yrds deeper in and still moving north. I went on around the road that I was traveling on to see if I could find another road that would put me closer to the dogs. I traveled the road that I was on for a couple of miles, but it was going in a more Eastern direction and I was getting farther from the dogs, so I turned around and went back a ways and stopped to listen and they were both treed solid. I went back to about where they had crossed the road. I checked the garmin and they were a little over 700 yrds. This was the hardest that I had heard Gin tree and I really wanted to get in there, so I grabbed my rifle off the 4-wheeler and started out. Luckly I hit an old Dry branch where th loggers had left a strip of timber along the branch. I followed the branch all the way to the dogs. After fussing over the dogs a little while. I backed out aways and found the coon pretty quick. I shot this one out to the dogs. After they were through with him we made our way back to the 4-wheeler. We made one more drop at the river. They went in about a hundred yards and struck a hot track and treed pretty quick. I walked in to them. I found the coon pretty quick, but we left this one to run again. after petting the dogs up a little we made it back to the 4-wheeler and called it a night.

Old Post 08-28-2014 10:19 PM
HILLBILLYS BLU
UKC Forum Member

Sounds good Mr Jack!! If we wasn't 20 hours apart,,,, I'd come hunt with you some night. I'd have to wait till January, or February, I don't think I could handle the swamp hunts. Lol!! I'm a wimp!

Old Post 08-28-2014 10:26 PM
HILLBILLYS BLU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HILLBILLYS BLU Click here to Send HILLBILLYS BLU a Private Message Click Here to Email HILLBILLYS BLU Find more posts by HILLBILLYS BLU Add HILLBILLYS BLU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Hillbilly's Smokey River Dutch

Bill if we swapped places for a while i'm sure it would be a lot worse on me than you. I'm sure liking the Gin female. She has a ways to go yet, but she sure puts her heart into everything she does. If pups are turning out like this one and from what I hear they are, I can see why a lot of people are wanting pups and to breed to Dutch, and I,m sure there will be a lot more as you get more of them on the ground and they get a little more age on them. Dutch is bred right and is the type dog that we are all looking for. Take care Bill and I will talk to you a little later.

Old Post 08-29-2014 04:55 AM
HILLBILLYS BLU
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hillbilly's Smokey River Dutch

quote:
Originally posted by Misty river
Bill if we swapped places for a while i'm sure it would be a lot worse on me than you. I'm sure liking the Gin female. She has a ways to go yet, but she sure puts her heart into everything she does. If pups are turning out like this one and from what I hear they are, I can see why a lot of people are wanting pups and to breed to Dutch, and I,m sure there will be a lot more as you get more of them on the ground and they get a little more age on them. Dutch is bred right and is the type dog that we are all looking for. Take care Bill and I will talk to you a little later.

I appreciate the nice comments Jack. But...... I didn't have a thing to do with Dutch buddy!! That is all you! All I done was get a pup, and take him to the woods. If there was more people in the world like you ol'buddy, we would all be better off!!! Take care my friend, we will talk soon.

Old Post 08-29-2014 11:59 AM
HILLBILLYS BLU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HILLBILLYS BLU Click here to Send HILLBILLYS BLU a Private Message Click Here to Email HILLBILLYS BLU Find more posts by HILLBILLYS BLU Add HILLBILLYS BLU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp & Gin

Took Tramp out alone early last nite. 1st drop turned him up an ole slough. He went in a piece and struck a cold track. He didn't open much on it. He moved it up the slough about a hundred yrds and treed. I walked in to him. He was treed up a medium sized oak. I hit the squaller a couple of times and it looked at me from the top of the tree. I decided I would knock this one out to him. I shot a couple of times and out he came. He fell right close to Tramp and the fight was on and I'll have to say Tramp is like most of his ancesters that I have had thru the years. He is not a great kill dog. I had Tramp tied and the coon got away from him. I went back under the tree and turned Tramp loose and away he went after the coon. He went down the slough a ways and started bay barking. I went to him and he had the coon down in the bottom of a hollow tree. I could see the coon, I think it was an old sow coon and I could see that I had just grazed the top of her head when I shot her out of the top of that tree., so since it was a sow coon and I was pretty sure that I had just creased the top of her head we decided to leave her to have more little coons to chase. 2nd drop, I turned Tramp up another slough and he went in a couple hundred yrds and struck a working track moved it up the slough another 300 yrds and treed, I walked in to the tree and he was treed up a large oak. I walked around the tree and found an open place to shine and when I hit the squaller the whole top of that tree lit up. I could see all of these were pretty big coons. Idecided since I had let the other one go I would knock one of these out. I shot and out it came. about half way down it lodged. I tried to shoot it out, but it wouldn't move.It had loged solid. I didn't want to shoot any more of them out so I got Tramp and we came back to the house. When we got back to the house I decided to put Tramp up and tack Gin for a run. 1st drop I turned her up the swamp and she hunted out pretty good and came back without a bark. I decided to take her down to the river and turned her up an ole dry slough She hunted out. I was watching her on the garmin and I could tell by the way she was moving that she was trailing. She went in about 200 yards and treed. I walked in to her and she was treed uo a medium sized tree that was a canopy with vines. I couldn't find him at first and I shook a vine and he looked at me with both eyes. You know this one being Gins first coon alone it had to come out. I finally got to where I could see it pretty good and shot it out to her. I let her chew on it for a while and petted her up good and we headed to the 4-wheeler, two happy hunters. We called it a night

Old Post 08-30-2014 05:12 PM
HILLBILLYS BLU
UKC Forum Member

Sounding good Mr. Jack, keep up the good work..... I still say your a lot tougher than than I am.

Old Post 09-01-2014 03:20 PM
Scott VH
UKC Forum Member

Tamp and Gin

Jack,
Sure sounds like Gin is progressing for you. Had a good time at Autumn Oaks. We had a dead cast on Saturday night. It was warm compared to what we have had up here this Summer. Glad to here about Gin getting in the timber and getting one by herself, good luck with her.
Scott

Floyd's Shine On (GrNiteCh Pink Floyd x GrNiteCh Oklahoma Blue Creek)

Gone but not forgotten:
GrNiteCh Mose's Pink Floyd (GrNiteCh Dean's Blue Mose X GrNiteCh B&D's Blue Ruby) Hollis-VH
GrNiteCh GrCh Bullet II's Code Blue Cricket (GrCh GrNiteCh 'PR' Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X NiteCh Ch JJ's Code Blue Jenny)
Ch GrNiteCh Smokey River Blue Tramp II (GrCh GrNiteCh Smokey River Jean's Blue Tramp X Ch NiteCh Misty River Blue Doll IV)
GrNiteCh GrCh Vining's Hammerhead (Dual Grand Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X Dual Grand Vining Blue Mollie)
GrNiteCh Ch Uchtmans Blue Logan (GrNiteCh Gene's Blue Newton X ChNiteCh Smiley's Blue Lady)
GrNiteCh GrCh Makin' Music Banjo (GrNiteCh Washburn Valley Blue Drip X GrNiteCh GrCh Razor Ridge Unstable Mable)
GrNiteCh. Uncle Pen (GrNiteCh South Shore Drive Blue Kev X GrNiteCh Frosty's Fancy)

Old Post 09-01-2014 03:44 PM
Scott VH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott VH Click here to Send Scott VH a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott VH Find more posts by Scott VH Add Scott VH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Scott VH

Glad you had a good time at AO. Sorry to hear about the dead cast. That's never good when no one has a chance to win. I went up there several years ago and enjoyed it. AO was always a little out of my range. The best I can remember it was about 20 hrs or so. Scott keep me informed on how your little female is doing from time to time. I always like to hear about these good females. Gin is coming along real good I don't think I could ask any more out of her right now. Take care Scott and I wish you the best with your hounds.

Old Post 09-02-2014 02:12 AM
HILLBILLYS BLU
UKC Forum Member

Been waiting to hear of the latest hunt, so I'll just bump it back up, for Mr. Jack.

Old Post 09-06-2014 02:14 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Tramp and Spark

Two old friends of mine Mr. Jerry Wheat and Mr. Kevin Frizelle drove up from Popularville, Ms. and hunted with me last night. Kevin was hunting his Spark dog, which is making a real nice dog. Jerry don't have a dog right now so he just goes along and claims which ever dog trees first. 1st drop, we turned them up an old slough. They went In about 400 yrds and made a circle and came back. We loaded them up and moved on down the slough. 2nd drop, they went in about 100 yrds and struck and treed pretty quick. We walked in to them and they were treed up a big oak. We shined the tree for a while, but never could get him to look. We walked back to the 4-wheeler and moved on around the swamp. 3rd drop, They went in about 900 yrds and we were beginning to loose them on the Garmin, so we started trying to get closer. We rode around a couple of different roads and when we stopped to listen we just could hear them treed. We rode around some more trying to get closer and finally got to within about 450 yrds of them and walked on in to them from there. They were treed right beside highway 44. We didn't know they were that close to a highway, because its a new section of highway and our Garmins wouldn't pick it up. We shined the tree foe a while, but again we couldn't get him to look. We walked back to the 4-wheeler and made one more drop, but the coons just were not moving. It sure was good hunting with Mr. Jerry and Kevin, You two come back anytime and thank you Kevin for the bobtail kitten you brought me.

Old Post 09-06-2014 09:14 PM
Coondogwillie
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Jack, this is the best thread on here. I really enjoy reading about your hunts.

Old Post 09-07-2014 12:06 AM
Coondogwillie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coondogwillie Click here to Send Coondogwillie a Private Message Click Here to Email Coondogwillie Find more posts by Coondogwillie Add Coondogwillie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Coondogwillie

Thank you for the kind words Mr. O'Connell, you made my day. I'm Glad you enjoy the thread.

Old Post 09-07-2014 12:16 AM