UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > UKC Hunters, I'd like your input!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chelseacmcclain
New UKC Forum Member

UKC Hunters, I'd like your input!

Hey y'all! At the end of last year my husband took the VP position at our local UKC Coon Hunters Club. We recognized a decline in membership and participation at membership meetings, bench shows and nite hunts. We figured we'd lend a hand and get things really going again, but we also wanted to preserve the club so that my own two boys could participate when they are young adults! After a lot of hard work, social media marketing, supporting other clubs, making good home cooked meals for the hunts and trying our best to give away good prizes. We've since seen an incline at meetings and all of our hunts.

So I'm asking you what do you think makes a good club? What makes you come back to nite hunts? What kind of prizes would you like to receive at these hunts?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-06-2021 09:13 PM
chelseacmcclain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chelseacmcclain Click here to Send chelseacmcclain a Private Message Find more posts by chelseacmcclain Add chelseacmcclain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

You said a mouth full when you talked about your family and kids and being involved this is truly what it takes if it is only about the competition and nothing else it won't last also I found out not giving to big a prize is actually better because it brings out those who ate just around to win a dogbox etc.and really do nothing to help the club's as far as prizes I would start with trophy's for kids and bench show etc also could have a larger prize such as light etc or dogbox for yearly huntoff or something

Old Post 07-06-2021 09:45 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chelseacmcclain
New UKC Forum Member

Re: Hunts

quote:
Originally posted by wart
You said a mouth full when you talked about your family and kids and being involved this is truly what it takes if it is only about the competition and nothing else it won't last also I found out not giving to big a prize is actually better because it brings out those who ate just around to win a dogbox etc.and really do nothing to help the club's as far as prizes I would start with trophy's for kids and bench show etc also could have a larger prize such as light etc or dogbox for yearly huntoff or something

That truly is what it is all about for me! They go to every hunt and are actively participating, even though they are only spectators at the moment.

My husband and I donated a dog box for the first hunt, to get a kick start. I'll take your advice and get some trophies and maybe some plaques!

Old Post 07-06-2021 10:19 PM
chelseacmcclain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chelseacmcclain Click here to Send chelseacmcclain a Private Message Find more posts by chelseacmcclain Add chelseacmcclain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

I don’t classify myself as a ukc hunter. But advise to clubs is be open to accepting change, couple clubs around me are ran by old guys that don’t even hunt anymore and talk down about us younger guys and won’t accept help with trying to get attendance up. I think one club is actively trying to kill itself or just title more of the club members dogs by driving attendance away so just essentially a buddy hunt. Member a’s turn to win this week, next hunt is member b’s turn to put a win on their dog.

Old Post 07-07-2021 01:50 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

For me, it comes down to judges and guides. If a club has good guides and honest judges I'll go back.

It's the ones that have poor judges and guides that I avoid. The problem is, most times they don't even realize that they have bad judges and guides because it's all they have/know.

Lone Pine North

Old Post 07-07-2021 05:40 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

success

good home cooked meals is the secret recipe for a club success.

319-201-8445

Old Post 07-08-2021 11:16 AM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

1) Guides , people won’t come back if they’re not put in Coons .
2 ) Members , needs to be friendly and make guest feel welcomed.
3) Good food is a plus too .

Last edited by Charles Pullen on 07-08-2021 at 01:31 PM

Old Post 07-08-2021 01:29 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

Consistent with the rules is the worse part about different clubs. One club will run a fair hunt the next club runs a free for all. Stay friendly and consistent, willing to help the new guy. Because when the new guys quit showing up the sport is gonna die.

God only knows who we'd be without soldiers and Jesus.

Rack'em Up Willy pup
--County Line's Rammy(Rambo)

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy
*UKC win Friday night Red Bone days 2021
BnT TREE BANGIN BUFFORD the start of it all

Old Post 07-08-2021 04:21 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Combination of things, which have been mentioned here.
Honesty
Fair to all
Food
Fellowship

I might add. That something I have seen work is a club overall yearly award for support of the club. Put in a point system for those attending. It takes some messaging but make it fit your clubs needs depending on your events.

Old Post 07-08-2021 05:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackoutscout
New UKC Forum Member

I dont get on here much and reply. But the coon clubs are shooting thereselves in the foot anymore. There is an issue with the ''old timers'' doing things there way and (we have done it this way for years" attitude. There is also and issue with not listening to the young guys that understand the modern tech. Facebook and social media is were everything is shared at nowadays. I personally dont care for it but it is what it is.
So on to club ideas. KITCHEN!!!!! is were you are gonna make your real money. No telling how many times i have got off work late and made it to a club right before deadline and not had a chance to eat anything. Nothing like a home cooked meal or even a big burger to help me thru.
MEMBERS!!! Not all members hunt in the competition hunts. But how many times have we needed a guide or even someone to help in the kitchen or help getting things organized. Those guys are just as valuable. Alot of the clubs ive seen one guy does all the work.
Youth!!!! this is a dying sport. when i was a kid just the bench shows would bring 10-20 dogs. Now your lucky to have the bench show cover what it costs to have it especially if u dont have to pay the judge.
The last thing i wanna add. The old sportsmen are gone. Alot of calls in the woods are what beneifits that person. The old sportsmen called it fair weather it was for or against them. They were there for the love of the sport and to watch good dogs operate. So bring the old sportsman back with every call u vote on

Old Post 07-12-2021 07:51 PM
Blackoutscout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackoutscout Click here to Send Blackoutscout a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackoutscout Find more posts by Blackoutscout Add Blackoutscout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

22yrs ago when I was just getting started I had 2 young dogs that wasen't ready for comp, hunts yet. But I was learning as much as I could and wanted to be around events and the people. I looked for the clubs that had the most things to do. Like treeing contest and drag races, water races and such. I would drive two or 3 hrs away to go to one with all these events when clubs in my back yard had hunts on the same dates. There were fun for all the kids to join in on, as well as the senior members that can't hunt anymore. The most fun I had at one did an auction for the treeing contest. They auction off every dog entered. All the money went into the pool. If the dog you bid on won the treeing contest you got the money. It was a blast. Some clubs that are lucky to have ponds have fishing derby's for kids. It just turns it into a family deal, which I think you have a better chance of having people stick with the sport as adults.

Old Post 07-23-2021 01:06 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYBlue Cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pullen
1) Guides , people won’t come back if they’re not put in Coons .
2 ) Members , needs to be friendly and make guest feel welcomed.
3) Good food is a plus too .

X2...I'll go out of my way to a club with good hunting, good people, and good food. Be fair and consistent in all judgements and treat everyone the way you'd want to be treated - before, during, and after the hunt. To me, that's more of an incentive to come back than any prize.

Also, try your best to make sure people keep it family friendly at the clubhouse. Say I bring my family along one night and let my little daughter or son show my dog in the bench show and everyone is sitting around cussing and smoking cigarettes inside, you probably won't see me back, especially for any youth events.

Old Post 07-23-2021 02:05 PM
KYBlue Cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYBlue Cooner Click here to Send KYBlue Cooner a Private Message Find more posts by KYBlue Cooner Add KYBlue Cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

If I were in charge of a club today there are a couple of things I would add to what has already been said. Good hunting and treating people fairly are always going to be at the top of the list but ukc hunts have lost their appeal to many for a couple of simple reasons.

A few years ago, clubs figured out that it was okay to advertise a hunt as a "poor boy hunt" and not give trophies or plaques. I have no problem with that. But then it became okay to just not give any awards without advertising the hunt as such. Then the clubs had to give up part of their money to support the TOC, so that entry fee was increased to cover that expense. The final straw was when ukc decided not to even give a win slip.

1. When a person wins, they want some type of award. Most don't want trophies and plaques but the younger hunters might be in favor of them? Not sure. What I prefer is something I can use. Dog leashes are good prizes. Quality dog feed is a GREAT prize that can usually be obtained from local feed stores as a donation or at a lower price if you tell them what you are doing with it.

2. Buy some type of receipt book that you can write out win slips for your bench show and nite hunt with. Just put on the receipt the dog's name, number, what was won, owner's name, date, along with the signature of the MOH or bench show judge. I think you would be surprised at how well that would go over.

Old Post 07-23-2021 02:30 PM
hat creek mac is online now Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by KYBlue Cooner

Also, try your best to make sure people keep it family friendly at the clubhouse. Say I bring my family along one night and let my little daughter or son show my dog in the bench show and everyone is sitting around cussing and smoking cigarettes inside, you probably won't see me back, especially for any youth events.

I agree. I watched this very thing kill a club because of 2 guys talking bad around wives and children repeatedly. The club is no longer in operation and was once the premier club in our state.

Old Post 07-23-2021 02:33 PM
hat creek mac is online now Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Qualified guides and judges and ashtrays.

Old Post 07-23-2021 07:10 PM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote