UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Concrete floor
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JCaldwell
UKC Forum Member

Concrete floor

I was planning on pouring a concrete floor for dog pens and had a couple questions for you guys that have poured dog pens how much fall do you guys put in it and is 6 inch thick over kill and is 4 inch not enough thanks in advance for any help and the size will be something like 32x12

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:18 PM
JCaldwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JCaldwell Click here to Send JCaldwell a Private Message Find more posts by JCaldwell Add JCaldwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

Mine are 4 inches thick and have a 1 inch fall per foot. Make sure you put plastic sheeting down before you pour so it won't "sweat".

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:28 PM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Plastic sheeting has nothing to do with "sweat". The rougher the finish, the less sweat.

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:31 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

6" is overkill for dog kennel.
4" is normal for most slabs.
1/4" per foot fall.

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:38 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Just my 2 cents worth

I have had concrete kennels for over 20 years and all of our service dogs had the same. I have helped many of my friends with theirs also. So what I like is this The fall you cannot get to much the more the better and the finish is important also almost a slick finish remember ALMOST, the last component is the sealer that is a must in my opinion. 3 things
Slope ( fall) plenty
Finish almost slick but not quite (important)
Sealer The key to keeping smell down

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:50 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JCaldwell
UKC Forum Member

Thanks guys

Old Post 01-19-2018 04:10 PM
JCaldwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JCaldwell Click here to Send JCaldwell a Private Message Find more posts by JCaldwell Add JCaldwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

I'm with Mr. Meyer, You can't hardly get "too much" fall. I just poured a 40 x 12 Slab and and did a 1/2" of fall per foot and wished I went more but it's not bad. 4" thick is plenty. There's plenty of good concrete kennel sealers out there, that will help a lot with cleaning,stains and smell. Also I'd stay away from a brushed finish, I've had it before and makes cleaning hard, and don't go too slick either, when it's real slick and wet it makes it hard for dog and owner to walk on lol. Also I had fiber mixed in my concrete this time, seems like good stuff:

Here's some pics,

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Last edited by jkidd1 on 01-19-2018 at 06:47 PM

Old Post 01-19-2018 05:25 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Be sure not to have fiberglass in it.

If you have snow remember that whatever falls on a roof as in the picture ends up in your kennels and if you put a roof over the runs, extend it out so you don’t have to dig out your gates

If you have to much slope, remember you will have an end up off the floor if you fasten it square.

Old Post 01-19-2018 05:41 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Mine will have a roof over it once the weather breaks, and also I'm putting in a trough drain on the end to a small septic. I didn't plan to have all this wrapped up in it but since I do I want it to be as maintenance free as possible.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 01-19-2018 06:38 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
indiana1
UKC Forum Member

Lay a vapor barrier because it will sweat. Always think about your tomorrows such as running extra conduit for power water lines etc.

(Uchtman’s blue Amos x Uchtman’s blue Magic)
NITECH Lynch’s LIL BLU MAC (Walston’s Big Country x Hatcreek Kate 2)

Old Post 01-19-2018 07:07 PM
indiana1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for indiana1 Click here to Send indiana1 a Private Message Find more posts by indiana1 Add indiana1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Going to add a little more

My experience an I have had way to much. I wasted a lot of $ on a septic tank, Dog poop don't work like human feces meaning you WILL have it pumped out WAY too often it does not have the same bacteria which turns the wast into liquid.
Now the finish is a tricky subject NO way broom finish and NO way a slick finish, Better have a good C/man

Old Post 01-19-2018 07:17 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

4” is plenty thick. Make sure there is either mesh or rebar in it. I went 1/4 inch per foot on mine n it is not nearly enough. The vapor barrier absolutely controls a slab from sweating but only on interior concrete like a barn floor or house slab that’s why it’s called a Vapor Barrier! Outdoors it really wouldn’t do u much good. I agree with mr. Meyer on the rest not to rough but not burnt in smooth either. Fine line there. N a good sealer is a must. I have finshed concrete all my life so this just my opinion, hire a good concrete guy, not the ones wearing straw hats n suspenders, someone knowledgeable n experienced. Good luck to u . Make sure it’s how u want it the first time cause it ain’t like siding, u can’t just tear it off n start over!

pr’ Hooper ridge hangem high huck
ntch. pr’ Kettle hollow Sandy

Old Post 01-19-2018 08:23 PM
lucas foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucas foster Click here to Send lucas foster a Private Message Click Here to Email lucas foster Find more posts by lucas foster Add lucas foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JCaldwell
UKC Forum Member

Well I was going to do it my self I pour concrete but mostly curb and gutter and driveway approaches not much flat just wanted some ideas on kennels what kind of sealer are you guys talking about and if I just used a Fresno and left it do you think that would be a ok finish we always put a light broom finish but I figured that it would be a mess with solid waste on the broom finish

Thanks for all the ideas

Old Post 01-19-2018 09:28 PM
lucas foster
UKC Forum Member

Your probably just right hitting once with a Fresno , more than that it might b to slick. Don’t get a penitrating sealer. U want a topical cure n seal , an oil based acrylic sealer most batch plants carry it around here. Not the water based stuff , that stuff is garbage. Won’t hold up to dog urine n constant washing.

pr’ Hooper ridge hangem high huck
ntch. pr’ Kettle hollow Sandy

Old Post 01-19-2018 10:31 PM
lucas foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lucas foster Click here to Send lucas foster a Private Message Click Here to Email lucas foster Find more posts by lucas foster Add lucas foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JCaldwell
UKC Forum Member

I will see if the local plants carry it I appreciate all the help guys

Old Post 01-19-2018 10:36 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Just my 2 cents worth

quote:
Originally posted by H. L. Meyer
I have had concrete kennels for over 20 years and all of our service dogs had the same. I have helped many of my friends with theirs also. So what I like is this The fall you cannot get to much the more the better and the finish is important also almost a slick finish remember ALMOST, the last component is the sealer that is a must in my opinion. 3 things
Slope ( fall) plenty
Finish almost slick but not quite (important)
Sealer The key to keeping smell down

I have poured three pads for kennels, and you are dead on

Old Post 01-19-2018 11:25 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I have an indoor kennel and I wish it had more slope on it to the side drains. I didn't seal it either. I'm going to have to check into doing that.

Old Post 01-19-2018 11:37 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Awesome set up J. Kidd. See ya if Feb.

Old Post 01-20-2018 01:15 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Roy, can't wait it'll be a blast, and Mr. Meyer I'll be giving you a ring, thanks!!

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 01-20-2018 04:22 AM