UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Return Deadline Discussion
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Minimum set times will not ever work as intended. The hunting is much different in the regions of the country. While up north, folks patch hunt and love to call time out during the hunt and talk or whatever. Most call it moving, but seldom have I ever moved more than a mile when we do move from an area, but call it a needed thing. In the deep south, you can leave the club house at 8PM and be back before midnite in many cases. Block are large and never call time out. Hunting is different. This is better left alone and up to clubs, unless you want to install a minimum time to be gone from the club, but that doesn't s6op the huddle house hunter does it?

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-2018 12:08 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Rock down here in July and August I dosent get dark until after 9:00 I set the deadline at 2:00 and the same guys that have trouble getting back then have the trouble getting back when draw is at 7:00 they are also the ones that always walk in 5 minutes before draw to enter.

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2018 12:16 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Rock down here in July and August I dosent get dark until after 9:00 I set the deadline at 2:00 and the same guys that have trouble getting back then have the trouble getting back when draw is at 7:00 they are also the ones that always walk in 5 minutes before draw to enter.

Tar

EXACTLY. Time doesn't matter. If they want to get back, they will find a way, no matter the way. Sure, at times something will happen, and its part of the game. Waiting on the same ones every hunt does get very old, especially when you watched them leave the club at 11 PM facing a 2 AM deadline, the complain when they don't make it back. My pity level doesn't blink for them.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

Old Post 01-19-2018 01:16 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Rock we used to make deadline when we hunted 3 hrs and no tracking collars just sayen !!

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2018 01:28 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
EXACTLY. Time doesn't matter. If they want to get back, they will find a way, no matter the way. Sure, at times something will happen, and its part of the game. Waiting on the same ones every hunt does get very old, especially when you watched them leave the club at 11 PM facing a 2 AM deadline, the complain when they don't make it back. My pity level doesn't blink for them.

The first part of your statement is nuts. Second part i would feel the same

Old Post 01-19-2018 01:52 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
Minimum set times will not ever work as intended. The hunting is much different in the regions of the country. While up north, folks patch hunt and love to call time out during the hunt and talk or whatever. Most call it moving, but seldom have I ever moved more than a mile when we do move from an area, but call it a needed thing. In the deep south, you can leave the club house at 8PM and be back before midnite in many cases. Block are large and never call time out. Hunting is different. This is better left alone and up to clubs, unless you want to install a minimum time to be gone from the club, but that doesn't s6op the huddle house hunter does it?

Why punish the people up north? Even if we do " move less than a mile", consider walking to the truck and moving. 20 minutes max, right? Do that 4 times, there is over an hour. If you all came up and hunted, the last thing you'll want to do is hunt the same 100 acre patch all night. And if you have a few that sit around talking, then it is them, not the hunters that need it.
If UKC would set a minimum hours, that does not mean the casts will stay out. Many times we've gone back long before the deadline. My personal club gives 6 hours, even though most never drive over 45 minutes. If the club has a guide that sits around talking and goofing off.... Doesn't the club assign guides just as they assign judges? Then don't allow them to guide. That problem is solved.
I personally set up 6 drops, 4 woods 35-40 minutes from the club and 2 on the way back to the club. I usually guide out of 4 different clubs. If a dog gets lost or way out of pocket, I can stay and help find it, and not leave them alone just so I can make deadline.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 01-19-2018 01:57 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Rock, that is why you ask them what time they need for a deadline. If they don't make it then it is their own fault.

Old Post 01-19-2018 02:01 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Rock, that is why you ask them what time they need for a deadline. If they don't make it then it is their own fault.
Rock is more than fair with his deadlines he gives.

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 01-19-2018 02:16 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert

I always have Richard, in every case. One past major event that I worked, the cast members and guides were asked exactly that question. What deadline do you need to get back? They gave me a deadline that was by all accounts unreasonable, in saying they could be back by 3 am. It was 11:30 - 12 MN then. This was a second round for the night. I added a few times in my head and as MOH said NO, we'll make the deadline 4 am. All guides said they were going only 15 minutes from the club house. They jump in their trucks and are gone inside of 5 mintues from that point. ( 2 cast). One cast is back in plenty of time, somewhere around 2:50 am - 3:00 am, which would have put them back inside the time they requested. The last cast, of the 3 dogs in it, the two hounds that didn't win came back in at 3:52 am, inside the set deadline. Unfortunately, the winner makes it back around 4:15 am and was scratched. Immeadiately, I am a very bad MOH, and phone calls were blaring out to the powers that be etc..., but remember I added an hour to what all of them were asking for. Do I feel bad for them? Maybe, but rules are rules, and this is one that needs no changes. Common sense is all that is needed, and an ability to look at a clock and know how far you must go.

AS FOR PUNISHING ANYONE UP NORTH, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE YOU THINK I SAID LETS DO THAT BUT YOU ARE WRONG!!!

Why I commented is beyond me, because it matters not.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

Old Post 01-19-2018 02:23 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I don't know how you could be any more flexible on giving people a chance to make deadline you can call time out between trees ect ect. As far as guys going hunting late after draw we all know what that is about giving the coons time to get on their buckets. 3 hr hunts we had no buckets we had no tracking or shocking collars we hunted the whole time in the same spot because our dogs didn't need a mile to tree one stinking kitten coon and we made our dogs mind and we still made deadline.

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2018 02:54 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

What in the world does 3 hr hunts more than 20 yrs ago have to do with a discussion of deadlines today?
Rock if you ask a man what deadline he wants and then he doesn't make it, then he doesn't have a complaint. You should have complained about him taking so long to get back. It is not your fault if he can't teach/train his dog to handle. And I would have told him that.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 01-19-2018 at 03:07 PM

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:03 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Richard we made the same deadline hunting 3 hrs that they can't seem to make today hunting 2 hrs.

But our dogs weren't no good so they say lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:15 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Richard,
Tar

Who is "they"? I don't think that I have heard/seen anyone saying the hounds of 30 yrs ago "weren't no good".

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:20 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Richard we made the same deadline hunting 3 hrs that they can't seem to make today hunting 2 hrs.

Tar

Tar your always saying we should change the rules to fit today's dogs but not set deadlines to fit the rules and today's dogs?

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:21 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Curtis nobody and I mean nobody wants to set in a club house till 6:00 in the morning waiting on sombody to catch their idiot. Tell you the life of a bench judge and moh show is a 5:00 so you get there at 3:00 sighn everybody up judge the show the show people want their win slips so they can go home the hunt people are trying to enter you draw out at 7:00 or 8:00 then you set there buy your self till 2:00 because sombody did not do any good and they are home in the fart sack while you are setting there waiting on them you get home at 4:00 your weekend is shot usually for a bowl of stew because they give you a guilt trip that the club is broke try 30 yrs of that see how you feel about it I love the sport but we need to share the love maaaaaan !!

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:41 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Curtis nobody and I mean nobody wants to set in a club house till 6:00 in the morning waiting on sombody to catch their idiot. Tell you the life of a bench judge and moh show is a 5:00 so you get there at 3:00 sighn everybody up judge the show the show people want their win slips so they can go home the hunt people are trying to enter you draw out at 7:00 or 8:00 then you set there buy your self till 2:00 because sombody did not do any good and they are home in the fart sack while you are setting there waiting on them you get home at 4:00 your weekend is shot usually for a bowl of stew because they give you a guilt trip that the club is broke try 30 yrs of that see how you feel about it I love the sport but we need to share the love maaaaaan !!

Tar

You almost brought tears to my eyes but i was able to get a hold of myself

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:46 PM
Pat Bizich
Banned

You know ,no matter what time you set the deadline you always have one cast that pushes it.
They come dragging in 5 minutes just before deadline no matter how late it is set.

A question was asked so..............
Lets look at this logically.

8:00 sign in close time .Got to give time for drawing cast assembly of casts.
So lets say everyone is out by 8 :30 Lets start there.
5 hours would be a 1:30 deadline.

Allowing each cast 1 hour drive time from club to and from the woods. I know I know .Many don't drive that far. But just in case of what ever. Lets give them an hour.
That is 2 hours.
Give them another 1 hour between dumps to drive and walking out of the woods after calling time outs at trees .

The 2 hours hunt time.

5 hours sounds ideal .Whoa .I said Ideal. What about if someone looses a dog and the 1 hour needs to be used on that dog.

Looking at it this way 6 hours is probably the safe minimum .
So logically a 2:30 deadline should be adequate.
And we will still get those 5 minute before deadline cast. SIGH!!

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 01-19-2018 at 04:20 PM

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:46 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

I've been to several hunts around my area that didn't allow enough time to drive to their guides hunting spots and back and hunt any time at all.
It's rough walking here that takes more time also. Not everyone has flat areas full of coon. It usually takes at least 4 hours plus drive time.

I would like to see at least a 5 hour minimum deadline.

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:47 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

8:00 to 2:00 is 6hrs.

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:57 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[i]I would like to see at least a 5 hour minimum deadline. [/B]

That is something that you need to take up with the MOH/HD.

Old Post 01-19-2018 04:17 PM
JEstep
UKC Forum Member

Guides and MOH/Hunt Director working together can solve any issues majority of time. I have guided and been rushed for multiple reasons, could be a dog getting out of pocket or even coon moving and I am want to keep dropping and moving. As a guide in my responsibility to know my drops and know if I need to recast or move. I was pushed on a deadline at Autumn Oaks and we were just minutes away and deadline was 5:00 and we were in coon but a dog got out of pocket. When ask by a MOH a guide needs to think thru his answer. Also as a MOH I have tried to be fair in setting return time. I don't think there can be a general rule of thumb, it takes common sense with guides/MOH/club working together. Nothing drives me more crazy than finding out the card was just thrown away and cast went home because of dead cast. I do think a dead cast should be allowed to be reported. There is one club in my area always makes the deadline far to early and when I guide I am pushed but I plan for that in my drops. Again, common sense!

Old Post 01-19-2018 04:41 PM
JEstep is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JEstep Click here to Send JEstep a Private Message Click Here to Email JEstep Find more posts by JEstep Add JEstep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Who says that a dead cast can't be reported to MOH/HD by cell phone? I didn't realize there was a rule forbidding this. And what would the consequences be, scratching the dead cast?

Old Post 01-19-2018 04:47 PM
JEstep
UKC Forum Member

Many times in local hunts that I MOH I know who the guides will be before I get to the hunt and I know there drops before they sign up. With that being said I can begin to make a decision on deadline just from information I know. As a handler I also know who I draw and know if we are going to be pushed for time or not. If I am MOH at a club and don't know guides I will always talk with club contact on who guides should be. MOH/Guide/Club working together will solve majority of issues.

Old Post 01-19-2018 04:53 PM
JEstep is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JEstep Click here to Send JEstep a Private Message Click Here to Email JEstep Find more posts by JEstep Add JEstep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote