UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > really tight mouthed
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
firebird
UKC Forum Member

really tight mouthed

I have a 1.5 year old male. He was slower starting but now he is ranging out and running and treeing his own coons. Main issue right now is he barks when he hits a track and will bark on it for 100 yards then quits barking. He trails it and locates with a dozen barks and stops barking again. He stays put on the tree and when it get there he has the coon and is standing on the tree. Sometimes i can get him excited enough to bark treed for abit. But he looks at me when he's doing it like he wants my attention.

He barks 50% more when run with other dogs. But he needs to be hunted alone. Is this a phase? I need to try and get him more vocal alone.

Edit- Silent trailing wouldn't bother me so much if he barked treed steady. Most of my hunting is pleasure

Last edited by firebird on 07-05-2016 at 04:36 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-05-2016 04:24 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

To Do

Before I tried anything else, I'd have the dog checked for ear canker or ear mites. That can cause the type of behavior you've described.

Old Post 07-06-2016 04:11 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Re: To Do

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
Before I tried anything else, I'd have the dog checked for ear canker or ear mites. That can cause the type of behavior you've described.

Okay I'll look into that, have you experienced this? I do check my dogs ears every month and try to keep them clean.

Old Post 07-06-2016 12:51 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Just cleaned his ears. Left side was dirtier than I think it should have been but it was black wax, didn't look like any fresh blood and nothing looked inflamed. Now I can't see the inner ear but I cleaned them with ear solution and will keep that up for the week and maybe he had an infection.

Old Post 07-06-2016 06:04 PM
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: To Do

quote:
Originally posted by firebird
Okay I'll look into that, have you experienced this? I do check my dogs ears every month and try to keep them clean.

It's been a long time. But, yes I've experienced that. Your description reminded me of how my dog acted.

Old Post 07-07-2016 01:25 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Your dog isn't tight mouthed, he's not treeing. Did he tree before then start doing this?

Old Post 07-07-2016 01:56 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
Your dog isn't tight mouthed, he's not treeing. Did he tree before then start doing this?

He's not open on the entire track either. And yes he had no problem barking treed when we was younger or even with another dog. He's just started this while alone, for a month or so now.

Old Post 07-07-2016 01:05 PM
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

Have you been knocking coon out ot him?

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 07-07-2016 02:35 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by firebird
Just cleaned his ears. Left side was dirtier than I think it should have been but it was black wax, didn't look like any fresh blood and nothing looked inflamed. Now I can't see the inner ear but I cleaned them with ear solution and will keep that up for the week and maybe he had an infection.

Did any of it look like coffee grounds? You ever catch him scratching at his ears or at the base of his ears? If so good chance it's mites, if not maybe just needs cleaned and hopefully you don't have some kind of ear infection to deal with.

But yes, ear problems can make them stop barking. Seen different dogs over the years that's how I noticed the first signs of they had something going on and got it taken care of early. Often they will let out a bark at the kennel and immediately stop and shake their head. The vibrations from barking must hurt their inner ear when things are out of whack.

Old Post 07-07-2016 03:06 PM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

I'll say this in regards to ear problems based off my experience and opinion, take it for what it's worth, which may not be much.

Never had a lot of issues but even when I did the few times I initially thought it was probably mites, it never was.

I always treat first with a solution of half vinegar, half luke warm water. (A good over the counter ear cleaner may be just as good or better I don't know) Somewhere between 1.5 and 3 cc's per ear. That acts like a decent cleaner, and if there's any kind of yeast problems going on it will be knocked way back or knocked out by vinegar. 2 treatments in 24 hrs and you should see a noticeable improvement in the next 2 days if it's not mites, which I always have. Obviously if they need another treatment after that they get it. After it's taken care of I watch those kind of dogs more closely and might just clean their ears with mineral oil or something mild and similar on a monthly basis or as needed.

I do not use rubbing alcohol mixed in the treatment like some people do. If they have a rash going on inside, or bites from mites, that alcohol will burn like fire and can cause even more irritation or inflammation, not to mention good luck wrestling with your dog for its next treatment.

Old Post 07-07-2016 03:55 PM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Billy George
Have you been knocking coon out ot him?

No not since January, seasons technically closed. He caught one on the ground 3 nights ago but he barked all the way till he caught it.

Old Post 07-07-2016 04:48 PM
firebird
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Well Started
I'll say this in regards to ear problems based off my experience and opinion, take it for what it's worth, which may not be much.

Never had a lot of issues but even when I did the few times I initially thought it was probably mites, it never was.

I always treat first with a solution of half vinegar, half luke warm water. (A good over the counter ear cleaner may be just as good or better I don't know) Somewhere between 1.5 and 3 cc's per ear. That acts like a decent cleaner, and if there's any kind of yeast problems going on it will be knocked way back or knocked out by vinegar. 2 treatments in 24 hrs and you should see a noticeable improvement in the next 2 days if it's not mites, which I always have. Obviously if they need another treatment after that they get it. After it's taken care of I watch those kind of dogs more closely and might just clean their ears with mineral oil or something mild and similar on a monthly basis or as needed.

I do not use rubbing alcohol mixed in the treatment like some people do. If they have a rash going on inside, or bites from mites, that alcohol will burn like fire and can cause even more irritation or inflammation, not to mention good luck wrestling with your dog for its next treatment.

Thank you for all the info. I cleaned them well yesterday with over the counter cleaner and I have some cleaner from the Vet that I'm going to use for a week, it's got aloe in it. I'll definetly check the ingredients. As for coffee grounds? There were small chunks of black, not much but present. It was definetly black there was no brown or reddish color. It's been hot I havnt been hunting the last couple nights to see if there's a difference. I don't see him scratching his ears or shaking his head.

Old Post 07-07-2016 04:56 PM
firebird
UKC Forum Member

Ears are staying clean and the last couple nights hunting he has been more vocal than when I initially posted. Barking on track has improved greatly. Barking treed is better, not how I like yet. We did get an inch of rain the other night before it was very dry conditions.

Ears could have been part of the problem.

Old Post 07-11-2016 01:35 PM