UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > do you stick with a certain breed
Do you hunt a specific breed only, or will you hunt whatever will tree a coon?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
One specific breed 80 72.73%
Whatever will tree a coon 30 27.27%
Total: 110 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
huffman1988
UKC Forum Member

do you stick with a certain breed

Are you dedicated to a certain breed, or will you hunt whatever will tree a coon?

Last edited by huffman1988 on 06-26-2015 at 07:44 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-26-2015 07:40 PM
huffman1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huffman1988 Click here to Send huffman1988 a Private Message Find more posts by huffman1988 Add huffman1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

I would say I'm about 85% dedicated to one breed but I can still appreciate any dog that can tree allot of coon.
Shoot I'll even hunt a bluetick if you show me a good one!
JUST KIDDIN Msinc! LOL

Old Post 06-26-2015 07:49 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RLenhart
I would say I'm about 85% dedicated to one breed but I can still appreciate any dog that can tree allot of coon.
JUST KIDDIN Msinc! LOL

Looks like your safe then.

Old Post 06-26-2015 07:52 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

I have owned coon hounds for 40+ years. I have never owned anything but an English dog. I have followed a few different breeds but only because my Dad kept a lot of different breeds and he was my hunting buddy until last year when he had a stroke and is now unable to do much.

So I have watched many different breeds tree coons but the English is BY FAR my favorite. LOL

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 06-26-2015 08:38 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jakecumberledge
UKC Forum Member

I'm a bluetick guy through and through but with that being said I've hunted with and seen many great things and things I've liked out of the river bend walkers and a local Walker male that I wouldn't be blind to own a pup from

“PR”Woodland Country Side
“PR”Dukes Tree Bustin Duchess
“PR”Country Roads Ranger Jim

Beagles
CH GRHBCH Shenango Shylo
HBCH"PR"Shenango White River Bella
Woodland Drew Brees
Woodlands Blazin MJ
HBCH Woodland K Hello Dolly
“PR”Woodland Danger Ranger
State Line Gypsy

Old Post 06-26-2015 09:16 PM
jakecumberledge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jakecumberledge Click here to Send jakecumberledge a Private Message Find more posts by jakecumberledge Add jakecumberledge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I never bought a grown coon dog, always raised pups. I've been hunting Walkers for 50 years. I'm 72 years old and the "deep and alone" finally got the best of me. My friend has been hunting blue ticks with my Walkers for about 25 years. It seems the blue ticks are more suited to an old man. So last year I got a blue tick pup from Gary Utchman. She's twelve months old and has treed about 20 coons alone. So I guess I'm a blue tick man for the next 10 years. After that I'll be 82. We'll see where I go from there. LOL

Old Post 06-26-2015 09:32 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

I am a walker man,,but I'm not blind,,I will walk behind any good dog,,color don't matter to me,,ability does,,I just got a English pup at A.O. Last year that came outta Alabama,,first time I put him in woods at 5 months old track and treed with older dog and been doing it ever since,,if he keeps improving like he has been,,he just may convert me over to English,,lol!,he is the first dog that I've had that winds his tracks,instead of nose on the ground,and he is super fast,I'm lovin it

Old Post 06-26-2015 09:39 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KCE Kennels
UKC Forum Member

I hunt English Hounds but I'm not blind when looking at other breeds. I prefer English Hounds over other breeds but if I saw a walker or Redbone then I can't say that I wouldn't take it if I was looking for another hound.

Old Post 06-26-2015 10:24 PM
KCE Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KCE Kennels Click here to Send KCE Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email KCE Kennels Find more posts by KCE Kennels Add KCE Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by RLenhart
JUST KIDDIN Msinc! LOL

Well, I cant say much...I got 'em but I don't know about showing you a "good one!!!!"
I have owned and hunted with everything but a leopard hound at one time or another...I guess it's just a matter of time before I try me one of those too.
I really like Walkers, but have not had too much luck with them until now. I do have a very nice young male that I really like and he is doing above average.
I was very serious about redbones for a while and had some good ones. When I decided to get back into it a year or so ago I just couldn't find one.
Always like blueticks and always had pretty good luck with them. Got two now I like.
If it's a coondog, I like it. If it's any good, I will feed it. I like 'em all.

Old Post 06-26-2015 10:52 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I never bought a grown coon dog, always raised pups. I've been hunting Walkers for 50 years. I'm 72 years old and the "deep and alone" finally got the best of me. My friend has been hunting blue ticks with my Walkers for about 25 years. It seems the blue ticks are more suited to an old man. So last year I got a blue tick pup from Gary Utchman. She's twelve months old and has treed about 20 coons alone. So I guess I'm a blue tick man for the next 10 years. After that I'll be 82. We'll see where I go from there. LOL

In ten more years I'd say you need to get you a pack of bear dogs and come on up to the mountains of Virginia!!!! It ought to be about time for you to start slowin' on down by then, what do you think????

Old Post 06-26-2015 10:55 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I guess I'm just racisit when it comes to hounds cause I didn't know they made another breed. I hunt walkers cause that's the only thing I've found that has the speed and agility I need to win. Although I have seen some of the ones today have bluetick quality's like standing on their head for 10-15 mins and it takes a Lil training to get that out of them.

Old Post 06-26-2015 11:00 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

I have hunted walkers for many years and just bought a b&t pup to try something different.

Old Post 06-27-2015 01:34 AM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

i hunted x breeds before they were x breeds,b&t, redbones, walkers, blueticks, all blue right now and am happy.

Old Post 06-27-2015 01:48 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joes reticks
UKC Forum Member

what ever will put game in trees

I perfer english and red bones but have seen some good walkers and leopards English and redbones and the leopards seem like they hold up better to day after day hunting the walker breed has bad feet in my option besides quick to grab trees .90% the good walkers I have seen didn't have good feet I want a dog I can at least hunt 2 days/nights week I'm leaning my kennel to be nothing but English and redbones in future which mabee an od leopard or to as they seem and are pound for pound smarter in my book mabe to smart .

The hardest to Handel dogs around house for me have been were plots blueticks and walkers 75% these were good hunters just stupid when season wasent in another reason I lean toward the 3 breeds I have ...

A good one is a good one a poor one is a poor one dont mater what color or papers say.

I have known familys that always had two good hounds for couple years one might be a blue tick other was a redbone other yearscone walker and a English redtick they just hunted hounds till they found 2 worth keeping that worked well together and were not stuck on breed or bloodline... Also every dog I have owned has had a difrent personality I look at that more then the colors the dogs are when IM hunting um. And messing which um around House..

Great hound hunters of the past quotes I like and live buy .
"Its not the legnth off the ears it whats betwen the ears "- lester Nance
" "If you did not see it in the tree it did not happen" -Herb kennedy
" I live to hunt and I hunt to live " - Henry McIntyre

Last edited by Joes reticks on 06-27-2015 at 03:59 AM

Old Post 06-27-2015 03:48 AM
Joes reticks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joes reticks Click here to Send Joes reticks a Private Message Find more posts by Joes reticks Add Joes reticks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Been nothing but Walkers for me since about 1979, Since 2000 they must be Walkers that are born here!

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 06-27-2015 01:11 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
In ten more years I'd say you need to get you a pack of bear dogs and come on up to the mountains of Virginia!!!! It ought to be about time for you to start slowin' on down by then, what do you think????
Well, I'm not making any plans on slowing down. But I guess it could happen without plans....... someday. LOL

Old Post 06-27-2015 01:58 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan Crump
UKC Forum Member

Been hunting English dogs for several years and now have a Bluetick in the mix. English dogs are fast enough and tree coons just tired of the blowing up treed with no sound on the track.

Bluetick Hound
Liz (Davis Creek So Blue Slug x Watsons Smoky Mtn Blue Zip)

Gone but never forgotten
Briar (Andersons Screaming Blue Zues X Triple D All Grand Puddles)
Blue (Thunder St. Nick X Fosters Little Frosty)

Proudly use and sale
Nite Rider Hollow Lights

Old Post 06-27-2015 03:31 PM
Jonathan Crump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan Crump Click here to Send Jonathan Crump a Private Message Click Here to Email Jonathan Crump Find more posts by Jonathan Crump Add Jonathan Crump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.S. Kennels
UKC Forum Member

I'll hunt whatever I like as long as it suits me. Black and Tans are my favorite but I ain't had no luck with them lately so I had to go another route. I own a walker, redbone, and a feist right now

The Old Dog

Gunters Hardwoods Hank - Walker - Cumberland River Marvin x Peppermint Pepper

Girly Girl - Feist - Super Sport x Gannons Heidi

The Pups

Gunters Sweet Tn Kandy Kane - Redbone - Kodak x Ruby

Old Post 06-27-2015 06:28 PM
S.S. Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.S. Kennels Click here to Send S.S. Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email S.S. Kennels Find more posts by S.S. Kennels Add S.S. Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I always seem to end up owning the same breed but have hunted different breeds for other people. I don't mind having any color on the end of the leash if it trees coons and does the job right

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 06-27-2015 07:46 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

A coon dog is a coon dog no matter what color they are. A puppy at my house belonging to me will be a B&T. I prefer B&T's and have had both good and bad. I've owned every breed except the leopard over the years and have good ones in most breeds, but my preference is definitely B&T

Old Post 06-29-2015 04:37 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

ill hunt any breed or mix breed as long as its a coon dog and its not mean.

Old Post 06-29-2015 09:55 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

Over the years I have had about everything except a Plott.

But for twenty odd years I have hunted Blueticks.

Old Post 06-29-2015 02:49 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Carroll
UKC Forum Member

Over the years I have had about everything except a Plott.

But for twenty odd years I have hunted Blueticks.

Old Post 06-29-2015 02:50 PM
John Carroll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Carroll Click here to Send John Carroll a Private Message Click Here to Email John Carroll Find more posts by John Carroll Add John Carroll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan Dogs
UKC Forum Member

had nothing but walkers for the last 35 yrs and still hunting the same line today. but when I retire i'm thinking about buying 5 acres of hunting land and a bluetick..

- Gr. CH Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan II
- CH. Gr. Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan III 2008 Performance Sire
- CH. Gr.Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Dan IV 2004 ukc world hunt finalist
- Ch. Gr.Nite Ch. Mounds Creek Sassy II
- Nite Ch. Hickory Nut Bucky HTX 3 wins towards grnite
- GrCh.GrNtCh Hickory Nut Bawlie HTX
-Nite ch. PR Iowa County CryBaby II 2013 Badger State Hunt Champion
qualified for 2013 UKC World Hunt
CH Nitech She Hate Me (scar) HTX Iowa County Kennels

Old Post 06-29-2015 04:08 PM
Dan Dogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan Dogs Click here to Send Dan Dogs a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan Dogs Find more posts by Dan Dogs Add Dan Dogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I have been hunting the same family for 32 years.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 06-29-2015 07:06 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote