UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Anyone have Katahdin sheep?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
anscox
UKC Forum Member

Anyone have Katahdin sheep?

I know, has nothing to do with coon hounds but I need some help!

We've been looking into getting some katahdin sheep and I was wondering if anyone on here has some?

Just interested in learning more about them. Specifically trying to find the daily nutritional requirements, parasite and disease control methods, and what all the RR and QQ's and things are I am seeing in the descriptions.

CH 'PR' Cox's Absolute Envy
CH 'PR' White Liar's Just A Digit
Hillbilly Bones

Gone but Not Forgotten:
CH 'PR' Cox's Sweet Mountain Magic 2005-2010

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-23-2008 05:37 AM
anscox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for anscox Click here to Send anscox a Private Message Click Here to Email anscox Visit anscox's homepage! Find more posts by anscox Add anscox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rangerman
UKC Forum Member

What the heck are katahdin sheep?

Old Post 05-23-2008 06:41 AM
rangerman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rangerman Click here to Send rangerman a Private Message Click Here to Email rangerman Find more posts by rangerman Add rangerman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TexasChamp88
New UKC Forum Member

Boss, really now this is a Coonhound forum... now if you wanna find some sheep find a sheep forum you might have better luck... but if you wanna talk coonhunting post away.

Old Post 05-23-2008 06:51 AM
TexasChamp88 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TexasChamp88 Click here to Send TexasChamp88 a Private Message Click Here to Email TexasChamp88 Find more posts by TexasChamp88 Add TexasChamp88 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Brickles
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TexasChamp88
Boss, really now this is a Coonhound forum... now if you wanna find some sheep find a sheep forum you might have better luck... but if you wanna talk coonhunting post away.

BOSS I SEE YOUR KINDA NEW, BUT READ MORE THREADS I WOULD SAY 75% ARE NOT ABOUT COONHOUNDS.

CH PR TREE TALKIN PORK CHOP (2ND, 2- 3RDS,4TH) UKC
PR SERAS TREE TALKIN DELILAH
PR VIPERS DEADLY BLACK MAGIC (B&T)

Old Post 05-23-2008 10:26 AM
Ron Brickles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Brickles Click here to Send Ron Brickles a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Brickles Find more posts by Ron Brickles Add Ron Brickles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

?

BAAAAAAA BAAAAA

Old Post 05-23-2008 01:12 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coon dawg
UKC Forum Member

....exactly what are ya gonna do with them sheep, bro????.lol

Old Post 05-23-2008 01:27 PM
coon dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coon dawg Click here to Send coon dawg a Private Message Find more posts by coon dawg Add coon dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anscox
UKC Forum Member

Man, if all the posts on this forum had to be about coonhounds there wouldn't be much to read on here would there? Did you also post similar responses on all the presidential garbage on here? How about the deer posts, nascar fans, derby debates, blah, blah, blah....

JMO, but if you read the title and see it's about sheep and have a problem with that, simply don't click on the post! Geez. There's always someone who has to start something isn't there?

And BTW, I am a FEMALE. You know, as in chick, sister, gal, girlfriend... Not a brother, Boss, bro, or man...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
SO, if anyone has something USEFUL to post about SHEEP, then by all means please do.

Coon Dawg.. there is a large market right now for this particular breed in the meat industry. They have an average reproduction rate of around 200%, meaning each female will have on average of 2 or more offspring each year. They are easy to care for, require little feed or medical attention, and I'm seeing a great possibility for quick returns on your initial investment. We're interested in them for two reasons, meat for the freezer and money in the pocket.

Hillbilly Bones

Gone but Not Forgotten:

Old Post 05-23-2008 05:03 PM
anscox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for anscox Click here to Send anscox a Private Message Click Here to Email anscox Visit anscox's homepage! Find more posts by anscox Add anscox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coon dawg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by anscox
Man, if all the posts on this forum had to be about coonhounds there wouldn't be much to read on here would there? Did you also post similar responses on all the presidential garbage on here? How about the deer posts, nascar fans, derby debates, blah, blah, blah....

JMO, but if you read the title and see it's about sheep and have a problem with that, simply don't click on the post! Geez. There's always someone who has to start something isn't there?

And BTW, I am a FEMALE. You know, as in chick, sister, gal, girlfriend... Not a brother, Boss, bro, or man...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
SO, if anyone has something USEFUL to post about SHEEP, then by all means please do.

Coon Dawg.. there is a large market right now for this particular breed in the meat industry. They have an average reproduction rate of around 200%, meaning each female will have on average of 2 or more offspring each year. They are easy to care for, require little feed or medical attention, and I'm seeing a great possibility for quick returns on your initial investment. We're interested in them for two reasons, meat for the freezer and money in the pocket.

.......thanks, young lady.....I used to raise goats for the same thing...........market was HUGE for 'em several years back..........have you tried googlin the Katahdins???.......must be from Maine...that's where Mount Katahdin is, ay??

Old Post 05-23-2008 05:06 PM
coon dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coon dawg Click here to Send coon dawg a Private Message Find more posts by coon dawg Add coon dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anscox
UKC Forum Member

Thank you coon dawg....

I have done many searches on them online. I have found everything I needed on reproduction, carcass dressing weights, average growth rates, feed conversions, and stuff like that.

Can't find much on parasite and disease control or exact daily rations for them though. Don't figure this sheep is any different from other breeds as far as that goes so really anyone who has owned ANY kind of sheep could help here.

They originated over seas, came here many years ago to the northern region (you're right about Maine!). Apparently they have just began gaining in popularity these last few years as the market trend is now swinging to lean, mild meats. That and the growing hispanic community, they LOVE this meat and use it at most ceremonies, holidays, and religious events.

We did cattle for several years, they are just so expensive to feed now, and the prices went down these last few years locally. We were pretty much giving them away. Sold them all this last fall. With the new USDA regulations on them, it's just not worth it to me.

Hillbilly Bones

Gone but Not Forgotten:

Old Post 05-23-2008 05:12 PM
anscox
UKC Forum Member

rangerman.... sorry, didn't answer you.

It's a large breed of hair sheep used primarily for meat purposes. They have a very lean carcass with high dressing rates, fast weight growth, and a mild flavor unlike the strong gamey flavor of many sheep breeds.

They do not have to be shorn each year as their hair naturally sheds. Usually have twins, and prone to triplets and quads with very few birthing problems. Large, average 180-250 pounds.

Hillbilly Bones

Gone but Not Forgotten:

Old Post 05-23-2008 05:14 PM
coonhoundbabe
UKC Forum Member

Katahdin's are very hardy. I have shown them in the past. No shearing, easy keepers, very good mothers. Should be able to get 2 lamb crops a year(Spring and Fall). Don't feed a Chow that has copper in it(Will kill them dead).Sheep can't eat copper. Good Grass Hay (We never feed anything stronger). Good pasture and regular wormings and shots. You should be in good shape.

NO BIZ LIKE SHOWBIZ........
Home Of Champions......

the one who started this brindle obsession:
GrWch Cch Grch TnT's Sidearm Krazy X Girlfriend
Ch GrNtch C&L Wild Turkey (Mr. Coondog)
Ch Showbiz Sheza Honky Tonk Babe
Ch Showbiz Suncrest Voodoo Child
Showbiz Come Next Monday
Showbiz Shake N Bake
My Off Color Gal:
Showbiz Coat Of Many Colors

Old Post 05-23-2008 06:54 PM
coonhoundbabe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhoundbabe Click here to Send coonhoundbabe a Private Message Click Here to Email coonhoundbabe Find more posts by coonhoundbabe Add coonhoundbabe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by TexasChamp88

Why do you care one way are the other; Did you just come from the idiot forum. lol

Old Post 05-23-2008 10:51 PM
mnman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnman Click here to Send mnman a Private Message Click Here to Email mnman Find more posts by mnman Add mnman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redneck_girl
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mnman
Why do you care one way are the other; Did you just come from the idiot forum. lol
ROFL!!!

Hey Suzanne! I'm looking for pictures of these goats. Sounds like something my mother in law may think about getting into. Thanks for the info!!

Proud Owner of
Indian River Kennels
Home of....

The Blueticks...

CH Finchams Indian River Smoke
CH Finchams Ind Riv Wind Dancer
CH Indian River Smokin Rowdy Too
PR' Finchams Indian River WildRose
The Walker...
PR' Fincham's Indian River Scrappy Doo (watch out for this pup and his boy!)

Smoke is now at stud...
(440) 839-2525
(419) 577-5365
www.freewebs.com/finchamsindianriverkennels/

Old Post 05-23-2008 11:02 PM
redneck_girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneck_girl Click here to Send redneck_girl a Private Message Click Here to Email redneck_girl Find more posts by redneck_girl Add redneck_girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redneck_girl
UKC Forum Member

Link to photos....

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...start=1&b=1

Proud Owner of
Indian River Kennels
Home of....

The Blueticks...

CH Finchams Indian River Smoke
CH Finchams Ind Riv Wind Dancer
CH Indian River Smokin Rowdy Too
PR' Finchams Indian River WildRose
The Walker...
PR' Fincham's Indian River Scrappy Doo (watch out for this pup and his boy!)

Smoke is now at stud...
(440) 839-2525
(419) 577-5365
www.freewebs.com/finchamsindianriverkennels/

Old Post 05-23-2008 11:10 PM
redneck_girl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redneck_girl Click here to Send redneck_girl a Private Message Click Here to Email redneck_girl Find more posts by redneck_girl Add redneck_girl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tx slick tree
UKC Forum Member

well dog gone they kinda look like these....huh? i call em Barbadoes. they white ones folks call Tx Dolls.

Old Post 05-24-2008 01:22 AM
tx slick tree is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tx slick tree Click here to Send tx slick tree a Private Message Find more posts by tx slick tree Add tx slick tree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anscox
UKC Forum Member

That looks like them. barbadoes hugh?

I've seen many crosses between the breeds. It looks like people are trying to cross them with other wooly haired sheep to get a shedding wool coat. Doesn't seem to be very successful so far as all the pics I have seen of the cross-breeds look like they have mange! LOL. There are chunks of hair that shed off, and patches that grow long and have to be shorn.

It's been interesting reading about them so far. Had a show tonight and haven't been able to do any searching today, still looking for that info.

Hillbilly Bones

Gone but Not Forgotten:

Old Post 05-24-2008 03:52 AM
tx slick tree
UKC Forum Member

these we got grow long hair in the winter and shed in the summer no shearing required. can worm them with cattle wormer or strongit T. not much to maintain them besides keeping them wormed.

Old Post 05-24-2008 04:41 AM
tx slick tree is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tx slick tree Click here to Send tx slick tree a Private Message Find more posts by tx slick tree Add tx slick tree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
K Snearey
New UKC Forum Member

Katahdin Sheep

I have a friend in Ohio that have some available for sale.

Old Post 05-24-2008 05:25 PM
K Snearey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for K Snearey Click here to Send K Snearey a Private Message Click Here to Email K Snearey Visit K Snearey's homepage! Find more posts by K Snearey Add K Snearey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tx slick tree
UKC Forum Member

you can look here. if you havent already.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/

Old Post 05-24-2008 07:18 PM
BIGCASTLEDAWGS
UKC Forum Member

Cool...

...I have to admit these are cool looking. I don't like "regular" sheep...love the ones that look "wild"...
Amazing stuff we can learn here on this coonhound forum!

I love the diversity.... Happy animal husbandry! Heather

Old Post 05-24-2008 07:26 PM
BIGCASTLEDAWGS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIGCASTLEDAWGS Click here to Send BIGCASTLEDAWGS a Private Message Find more posts by BIGCASTLEDAWGS Add BIGCASTLEDAWGS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jodaviess1
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 05-24-2008 10:51 PM
jodaviess1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jodaviess1 Click here to Send jodaviess1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jodaviess1 Find more posts by jodaviess1 Add jodaviess1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ringer3 Kennels
UKC Forum Member

How much pasture do they have to have? I could google it..but I'm lazy and figured someone could tell me on here. I was wanting to get a couple goats..but sounds like we might need to invest in a few of these. Thanks for the info!

Miss Ryann McMurray
740-656-2196 call/text
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Walkers
AKC Supreme Grand Champion, UKC GRCH Ringer3's Million Dollar Baby (2014 AKC Kentucky State Female and 2014 AKC Ohio State Female).

CH Ringer3's Layback Star Struck

GRCH Ringer3's Layback Blastin BB

Ringer3's History's Been Made
Ringer3's Made Of Millions

The English
Ringer3's Briar Creek Goldnrod

The Beagles
Ringer3's Radiant Ruby

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Close only counts in HORSESHOES and hand grenades!

Old Post 05-25-2008 05:21 PM
Ringer3 Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringer3 Kennels Click here to Send Ringer3 Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email Ringer3 Kennels Visit Ringer3 Kennels's homepage! Find more posts by Ringer3 Kennels Add Ringer3 Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anscox
UKC Forum Member

I've heard everything from 2-8 per acre. Depends on if you want to dry lot feed (costs more, but can get up to 8 per acre) or graze pasture and just supplement (recommended 2-4 per acre). Of coarse this would also depend on your location, rain fall, and such.
Pasture feeding in our area here in TN you wouldn't want more than 2-3 on an acre, we've got real hot summers and periods of drought which makes it hard to keep grass in the pasture with more animals.

Hillbilly Bones

Gone but Not Forgotten:

Old Post 05-25-2008 07:25 PM
Ringer3 Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Thanks! We wont be able to do that right now then. We can't afford hay right now. Havta keep mowing..lol We've only got an acre to fence in.

Miss Ryann McMurray
740-656-2196 call/text
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Walkers
AKC Supreme Grand Champion, UKC GRCH Ringer3's Million Dollar Baby (2014 AKC Kentucky State Female and 2014 AKC Ohio State Female).

CH Ringer3's Layback Star Struck

GRCH Ringer3's Layback Blastin BB

Ringer3's History's Been Made
Ringer3's Made Of Millions

The English
Ringer3's Briar Creek Goldnrod

The Beagles
Ringer3's Radiant Ruby

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Close only counts in HORSESHOES and hand grenades!

Old Post 05-25-2008 10:19 PM
Ringer3 Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringer3 Kennels Click here to Send Ringer3 Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email Ringer3 Kennels Visit Ringer3 Kennels's homepage! Find more posts by Ringer3 Kennels Add Ringer3 Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
anscox
UKC Forum Member

Hey Mona,

We ran into an incredible offer today, there is a farm here in TN that is completely selling out their herd so they can travel... they offered us a package deal today of 5 bred females (due in about 2 mos), 1 adult ram, 2 young males, and 1 young female for $1875! The 6 adults are registered, they don't have papers yet on the three youngest but they are eligible. Total of 9 with at least 5 babies (probably more like 8) due very soon! Everyone else is offering non-bred females for $275-500 a piece.

Anyways, we only need and have space for 4. If your Mom or you guys are interested in splitting the package and taking the other 5 we can keep them for just a few weeks. We want 3 females and the oldest ram. So 5 for $1000?

If anyone else in our area is interested in that (assuming Mona says no!) then let us know. Don't want to pass up on this offer but just simply don't have anywhere to put that many without dry-lot feeding them.
---------------------------------

ringer 3...

We were originally looking into getting some as grass mowers! You could fit 2 on there with babies (as long as you sold them at weaning) just fine. Most people don't feed them grain becuase it interfers with the vitamin absorbtion, only a little in the winter for supplement. So, hay and salt are really all they need. I've contacted and spoke with five breeders all across the U.S. so far and they have all commented on how cheap they are to raise and care for.

Hillbilly Bones

Gone but Not Forgotten:

Old Post 05-26-2008 12:42 AM