UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Road Hunting
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Road Hunting

How many have tried or actually road hunt their coon dogs? My hunting buddy and I used to do a lot of road hunting, but have not road hunted in several years until just recently. We bought a new dog that will road hunt and have road hunted him a few nights. I had forgot how much fun road hunting could be, been treeing coons every time we road hunt and boy is it easy on my old bones. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2020 02:07 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Dave...glad you are able to road hunt...😎

Old Post 08-09-2020 02:32 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bryan K Webb
UKC Forum Member

I had a buddy that had a dog that would hunt out in front of the vehicle and we treed several coons when they were really moving.. I had a real nice dog years ago that would rig hunt he was a lot of fun to have around.. You could turn him loose in a hollar with a pup and tree a couple of coons.. Put him in the back of the truck and a lot of nights he would tree a coon or two before you got home... Lol

Old Post 08-09-2020 02:40 AM
Bryan K Webb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bryan K Webb Click here to Send Bryan K Webb a Private Message Click Here to Email Bryan K Webb Find more posts by Bryan K Webb Add Bryan K Webb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerrydillon17
UKC Forum Member

Yes

Hey Dave yes road hunting is pretty nice !! My gyp will drop hunt or road hunt love when she trees coon 50 to 60 yards off road makes so nice an easy lol !!

Old Post 08-09-2020 04:25 AM
jerrydillon17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jerrydillon17 Click here to Send jerrydillon17 a Private Message Click Here to Email jerrydillon17 Find more posts by jerrydillon17 Add jerrydillon17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Road hunting

Thanks Rueben, this dog we recently bought will hunt in front of your truck and sure is fun to hunt. He hunts just right stays in sight of the truck and handles like a dream, he cast hunts really nice, pull up to a holler and cut him and he hunts the holler and ridges like one is supposed to hunt. Tonight was a perfect night to hunt, temps in the high 60's low humidity and real dark. We cast hunted him and treed a couple of singles, then road hunted him and treed 2 more singles, both close enough to the road that I could see the coons from the road. I was real pleased with not having to walk much. Our new dog has fired me up for the Fall and Winter hunting season, especially the road hunting part. We can road hunt the National Forest lands when the kill season opens on October 15th in Virginia. I was just real curious as to how many coon hunters actually done any road hunting. Dave

Old Post 08-09-2020 08:47 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I had 10,000 acres near me that a developer came in, cut roads, dug canals. Which left nothing but block after block of woods. Use to road hunt that area all the time. I had one that could do it pretty well and started a lot of pups with him. I love watching a road dog's actions and you can tell before they strike one that they smell one. Learn a lot about a dog watching them hunt. I did it a lot also in the early morning when I got off working the midnight shift. Can tree coon pretty close most of the time. Had a man from Summerset, Ky that would come down every year in the fall and we would hunt. His nickname was Hoppy and real name E.L. Stepp. Had the best road dog I ever saw. On many hunts about half way through the night my dog would get tired and his tail would start to drop lower and lower. Hoppy"s hound/cur was tireless and deadly on a coon.

Old Post 08-09-2020 12:31 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Bruce Conkey

Enjoyed reading your post, yes it sure is fun to road hunt when you have good places to road hunt a dog. A dog can cover a lot of ground running in front of a truck and watching the dog with his head in the air strike a track and leave the road never gets old. You can tree more coons road hunting and not get near as tired as spot hunting. Dave

Old Post 08-09-2020 08:14 PM
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

I road hunt all of mine some of the time. Some travel a lot faster than others in front of the truck. I've noticed some could smell a track farther off the road than others. The ones that could smell a track a good ways are usually the good layup and rig dogs. I've had several that would rig some but one that was far better than the others. It's been my experience that the ones that road at a dead sprint don't strike as many coons as the ones that jog along with their head up looking for air scent rather than ground scent.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 08-09-2020 09:29 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clinewalkers
UKC Forum Member

Dave

I was raised up road hunting here in these rough WV mountains. We do it all from walk hunt to road hunt and cast hunt. People say road hunting will make a dog lazy and make it not want to cast hunt but I beg to differ. If a dog has the will to hunt it’ll hunt however you want it to in my opinion. Now rig hunting is a different story I think. If you haul a dog on a rig every night and only cut on those hot easy coons then I wouldn’t want to run my guts out to find a track either. Lol. But here in southern wv coons are really thin and road hunting is a good way to cover a lot of ground fast and sometimes it’s not easy tracks. Most of the time road hunting here you’ll get to hear some 7-900 yard tracks and in the winter months maybe farther cause the coons love to run in these rough mountains!!! I’d love to have some easy flatland hunting and I might would quit road hunting so much. Haha

Old Post 08-10-2020 05:46 AM
clinewalkers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for clinewalkers Click here to Send clinewalkers a Private Message Click Here to Email clinewalkers Find more posts by clinewalkers Add clinewalkers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

clinewalkers

If done to much, I've seen it make one lazy.

I love roading them but got a couple killed on the roads so I quit doing it as much. Now save it for the cold nights when it's 20 degrees or below.

Old Post 08-10-2020 02:42 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Clinewalkers

I feel your pain, I hunt in steep mountains just like you do, so road hunting is a real nice way to cover a lot of ground in a shorter amount of time. It's like trolling while fishing you can cover a lot more territory and catch more game. I wish we had more good spots to road hunt, but it is what it is. Lol. I HIGHLY DOUBT that road hunting makes a dog lazy, it sure does not bother this dog we are hunting NOW. He casts and hunts hard, he road hunt close to the front of the truck 25 to 50 yards and strikes coons as good as you could ask for, as we have treed several coons we have seen road hunting him. I know road hunting will get a dog in top physical condition . I love road hunting, as I AM the one that's LAZY, not my dog. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-11-2020 02:00 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Rigging one a lot will certainly take some go out of it, at least temporarily. If I stop rigging the dog after a few nights they get the idea and start goin harder off the snap. Not sure about roading... anything we've dumped out to hunt in front of the truck was lazy to begin with that's why we were doin it lol. The ones I'm used to hunting leave hard enough its gonna be like the Baja 500 if you're gonna keep them in your headlights lol

Old Post 08-11-2020 02:42 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clinewalkers
UKC Forum Member

The roads we hunt on here aren’t good roads to get one killed. 90% of the roads we hunt is 4x4 country and they’re plenty of places to road hunt. I don’t mind if they stay in my headlights or get deep as long as they don’t just road run and pass coons up. My old dog always hunted fast whether u road hunted him or turned him up a holler and never passed up coons. Just watch ya garmin or listen for him. I could road hunt him 5 miles and stop and head him up a creek and watch him go to the head. In my opinion, if it makes them lazy then they was born lazy to begin with. A coondog should have one thing on its mind no matter how it’s hunted and that’s to find the next coon!!!

Old Post 08-11-2020 03:56 AM
clinewalkers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for clinewalkers Click here to Send clinewalkers a Private Message Click Here to Email clinewalkers Find more posts by clinewalkers Add clinewalkers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Clinewalkers

Your post describes the kind of dogs I enjoy hunting, either cast hunting or road hunting, they should have one thing on their mind and that is finding a coon. I will say it's really hard to find a real good road hunting coon dog, but they can be found. I really enjoy road hunting on those bad weather nights, something about sitting in a warm dry truck and letting the dog do ALL the work just appeals to me. Lol. Dave

Old Post 08-11-2020 04:10 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Dave it appeals to me too I just tie mine on the back lol. I like a good rig dog.

Old Post 08-11-2020 04:25 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Roading males in front of a vehicle can be a pain in the but. They have to stop and pizz on everything! Course I suppose in this day a little trickle of electricity would probably stop that! LOL!

Personally roading a dog was never something I enjoyed much but I understand it’s usefulness for some people.

Old Post 08-11-2020 03:22 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fletch
UKC Forum Member

Had a mt cur road hunted on coon and squirrel. Enjoyed hunting him that way. If you saw a vehicle you could holler at him to load up and he would come back to the truck and jump up on the tailgate. Was fun to hunt.

Old Post 08-11-2020 03:33 PM
fletch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fletch Click here to Send fletch a Private Message Find more posts by fletch Add fletch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clinewalkers
UKC Forum Member

Dave

Yea that’s the way I start pups here and a lot of people around me road hunt. We have really thin coon population and u have to cover ground. I mean don’t get me wrong I like a dog to get in there and hunt if I cast him up a creek too but those dogs that have no reverse aren’t really for me around these parts. If the coons were thick then that wouldn’t be to bad but around here it’s hard to tell how far he’ll go to get struck and if he starts crossing ridges you’re going to be dog hunting while I’ll be casting 800-900 yards and then take back off road hunting treeing coons. Lol. Now when it get up in late season I’ll cast hunt more cause a lot of older guys around here will only road hunt and it gets tough to strike so u gotta hit them big lonely hollers. I bought a female back in December that had never been road hunted until I got her and she came out of flat country. After a few nights she caught onto road hunting but she’ll still cast if I want her to. For the ones that say it makes them lazy, well, I road hunt her a lot and took her to her first hunt in February and won a double header then took her to SETWD in Union SC this year and won my cast both nights and made her NiteCh this past weekend. For the ones that say it makes them lazy I don’t agree. It might some dogs but it won’t a COONDOG!!!

Old Post 08-11-2020 04:08 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Clinewalkers

Due to tearing my ACL in my right knee, I am a little handicapped as I have not wanted to have surgery to repair the tear. Road hunting is definitely more fun for me considering my injury, you usually tree pretty close to the road and it cuts down on my walking. We recently bought a dog that was trained to road hunt and we have had some fun road hunting him. I am looking forward to the actual hunting season when we can hunt on the National Forest lands and do some serious road hunting. Dave

Old Post 08-11-2020 08:27 PM
Gary Roberson
UKC Forum Member

Road hunting is all that I do. I would prefer to hunt off horseback or mule but it is such a hassle to haul and mess with all the additional gear.
I love roading with the Garmin DriveTrack, makes it easy to see where all my dogs are, what they are doing and direction they are going.
Adios,
Gary

Old Post 08-11-2020 09:41 PM
Gary Roberson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Roberson Click here to Send Gary Roberson a Private Message Click Here to Email Gary Roberson Find more posts by Gary Roberson Add Gary Roberson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Gary Roberson

You are the man, enjoy ALL your hunting shows. I only wish that we had plenty of places to road hunt, if we did I would road hunt all the time. Dave

Old Post 08-11-2020 10:55 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

In my area you can road hunt a dog but it will get them killed 70% of the time. Why you ask? Because the dogs learn its okay to run down the road. And a dog doesn't know what roads it can or can't run down. Which is what I think 1 poster was trying to say. Not sure it would make one "lazy" but it can make 1 not want to go through brush and timber because its easier going in the road.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 08-12-2020 02:06 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

My experience with it is you start road hunting them then when you start back hunting on foot they will peel out of the timber and hit the roads and openings and you can’t hardly break them from it.

Tar

Old Post 08-12-2020 02:11 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
My experience with it is you start road hunting them then when you start back hunting on foot they will peel out of the timber and hit the roads and openings and you can’t hardly break them from it.

Tar

X2 same experience

Old Post 08-12-2020 02:13 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clinewalkers
UKC Forum Member

Tar

That’s why I road hunt them until I come to a nice holler or ridge with good timber and cut them. It keeps them from trying to find a road to hit and in these mountains they won’t find a clearing. Lol. I’ve never had any problems with it. I’ve road hunted my old male dog his whole life and when I pull to a place I want to cut him he’ll go. Sometimes when road hunting him and I pass a holler I’m not going to turn him up he’ll already be starting up it when I get there. I can take him to any mans woods and he’ll go. Never bothered him but like I said a COONDOG should have only one thing on its mind no matter how or where it’s cut!!!!

Old Post 08-12-2020 02:32 AM