UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Advice needed
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Joe W. Smith
UKC Forum Member

Advice needed

I got a 21 month old female that has been hunted about twenty nights in her life and had about five coons. She will hunt alone, good strike dog with a awesome mouth. She has treed three or four coons ahead or split from dogs. The problem is She will give a killer locate and bark anywhere from a few to a couple dozen barks on tree and then just hush and I will find her just looking straight up the tree like a statue?????? She is deadly accurate but what can I do other than not letting her get involved in the coon fight whenever I do give her the coon? Thanks

Last edited by Joe W. Smith on 07-14-2020 at 09:41 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-14-2020 09:37 PM
Joe W. Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe W. Smith Click here to Send Joe W. Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Joe W. Smith Add Joe W. Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe W. Smith
UKC Forum Member

On a lead coon , when she was younger, she treed every breath.

Old Post 07-14-2020 09:40 PM
Joe W. Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe W. Smith Click here to Send Joe W. Smith a Private Message Find more posts by Joe W. Smith Add Joe W. Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Joe

Sounds like she got used to seeing the coon when treeing, go to the tree tie her at tree and walk off until she barks do not go back to the tree, wait her out as long as it takes. She will get the idea after a few of these sessions that if she don't bark you are not coming in to her. Make sure you tie her up so she can not leave the tree. If she barks good enough for you to return to tree, praise her up to reinforce this behavior. Dave

Old Post 07-14-2020 10:31 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

Dave

Now that sounds like some good advice.

Old Post 07-14-2020 10:43 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

JUST THE OPPOSITE

wild willie says do just the opposite.. lead you dog away from the tree about 30 yards and just stand there and ignore the dog. Now hopefully the dog wants to get back to the tree and is barking wanting to get back to the tree. If she is let her go in to the tree and praise her for barking. If she is not barking when you are standing about 30 yards from the tree, leave the are and then release your hound to find another coon. You make it sound like her reward is the dead coon shot out of the tree , the reward should be you praising the hound letting her know she did right. Good hounds don't need that many coon shot out to them , leave some to run again. Wild Willie' Way is about trying to figure out how to put the want in the dog. What does it take so the dog wants to do it , not having to force a dog to do something. Many different ways to train a hound.

Old Post 07-14-2020 11:53 PM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Black Ash Bawl

Different strokes for different folks, my advice WORKS, maybe Willys does as well. Try it and see which method works for the dog in question, every dog is different. My method uses praise for the dog, nothing was said about shooting every coon. Dave

Old Post 07-15-2020 12:09 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe W. Smith
UKC Forum Member

Thank you gentlemen, I will give it a try.

Old Post 07-15-2020 04:40 AM
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I had one years ago that would stop treeing before you got there, similar to yours. I walked about 50 yds. past him one night because I did not see him. I just stopped and stood still until he barked again and then I walked to the tree. He never stopped again until I got to the tree. You could give that a try.

Old Post 07-15-2020 04:45 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I had one that way once. She would bark occasionally. I took her by herself and when she treed and I got close to her I just stopped and turned my light out. When she barked I would turn my light on and start toward her. When she shut up I stopped and turned my light off until she barked again and kept doing that until I got to the tree. Took some patience but she got the point and started treeing normally after a couple times of this. I also made over her good the cook out to her. A buddy of mine also had a silent tree dog that he got over it by pretty much doing the same thing. I didn’t have a Garmin back then but my buddy did so it is obviously easier to do with the Garmin.

Old Post 07-15-2020 05:08 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: JUST THE OPPOSITE

quote:
Originally posted by Black Ash Bawl
wild willie says do just the opposite.. lead you dog away from the tree about 30 yards and just stand there and ignore the dog. Now hopefully the dog wants to get back to the tree and is barking wanting to get back to the tree. If she is let her go in to the tree and praise her for barking. If she is not barking when you are standing about 30 yards from the tree, leave the are and then release your hound to find another coon. You make it sound like her reward is the dead coon shot out of the tree , the reward should be you praising the hound letting her know she did right. Good hounds don't need that many coon shot out to them , leave some to run again. Wild Willie' Way is about trying to figure out how to put the want in the dog. What does it take so the dog wants to do it , not having to force a dog to do something. Many different ways to train a hound.
seems to me wild Willie way would teach a dog your next issue of dog returning to a tree. I realize ya have to work on one issue at a time but I hate a dog returning to a tree even if I only walk 5 yards to recast.

Old Post 07-15-2020 01:17 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: JUST THE OPPOSITE

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
seems to me wild Willie way would teach a dog your next issue of dog returning to a tree. I realize ya have to work on one issue at a time but I hate a dog returning to a tree even if I only walk 5 yards to recast.

X2

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 07-15-2020 04:56 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: JUST THE OPPOSITE

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson

Really experienced houndsman told me something I had never thought of a couple years ago. When he is starting a young dog, he re-casts it right at the tree and he stays at the tree. He never walks off to recast them. He stays at the tree and if the young dog returns he corrects it.

Simple... but something I'd never thought of.

Old Post 07-15-2020 05:19 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Lots of good advice on here... I don’t own tree dogs but I know good advice when I hear/read it...😎

Houndsound, IMO you are right...its the simple and consistent things we do with our dogs that keep things working smoothly...but if we don’t do them we will be pulling our hair trying to figure out a big problem...little and simple matters

Old Post 07-15-2020 05:42 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe W. Smith
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for your great ideas. I will give it a try when work slows up.

Old Post 07-16-2020 03:32 PM
Joe W. Smith
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for your great ideas. I will give it a try when work slows up.

Old Post 07-16-2020 03:32 PM
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

I have a dog that was like that when he treed. He will tree with others but when alone he wouldn’t say much at the tree. Sometimes would whine around. This was right when he started treeing his own. Took a few nights but I just praised him and went on. He eventually started treeing a little better each time. Then I gave him a few coon and he pretty much fixed himself. Not much advice but just be patient

Old Post 07-17-2020 04:51 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote