UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How often to shoot a coon out got me thinking
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

How often to shoot a coon out got me thinking

How often to shoot a coon? If I interpreted the meaning of that thread title correctly....to me it means that if you don’t shoot out a coon to your dogs a certain amount of times that the dogs will loose interest or a certain performance level...I think it is a very good question...and some really good posts were posted from none to quite a few shot out...

So what type of puppy will make a dog that won’t require many coon shot out to them? Let’s say you have well bred pups...and they are well socialized...you are a breeder that demands the best to maintain and improve the bloodline and you want to keep the best make for hunting and breeding if he turns out...if there are 4 males in the litter...how many would you keep and how would you cull and select so that in the end you have a dog that doesn’t need many coons shot out to him...and he is a bold full of confidence...

Last edited by Reuben on 08-09-2020 at 09:41 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-09-2020 09:32 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

There are a bunch of testing done in the police K9 world to test a dogs drive. One test done in an association I was in was simply to place a toy under something really heavy... if the dog gives up on trying to get the toy pretty quick.... you know they won't be driven enough for the "reward" in finding odor.

But most K9 handlers I've been around won't test a dog before it is a year old. I think the only way to pick a puppy is by knowing the parents..... other then male / female, everything is a real random guessing game in picking pups out of a litter.

Old Post 08-09-2020 11:39 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

No way to figure it out when they are a puppy.

It's really not about how you figure it out then do it. It is about doing it and then finding the dog that matches your standards.

I am sure plenty of the dogs I have owned would have been better, turned out better, performed better or however you want to say it. If I would have gave them more coon. The other side of the coin it just wasn't my style. I live in a state where you can hunt and harvest coon year round. My first 3 or 4 years of hunting you could not carry a gun and have a light. We climbed about every tree, shook or poked out every coon with a long aluminum pole we carried. Guns were then allowed. It didn't make much sense to drive 60 miles to hunt and then have a scarce coon population because you wanted to shoot them. In a state that there is no value in the hides and more aggravation in selling the meat than it was worth.

I have seen one of my better hounds be treed. I would have someone along that wanted to shoot a coon out. We would shoot the coon and it would fall right beside the dog. He would not miss a beat treeing and paid no attention to the coon. His name was Boss and I liked him so much I named several products for him. I run deer with hounds that never see the deer. Fox hunters run fox the same way. The other side of the coin is I have seen some top dog that wanted that coon and their owners felt they needed that coon. Think about this. Hide hunters with the real meat dogs and is some minds the real coon dogs. They didn't let them dogs chew on and tear up the hides did they. Whats the difference in not shooting one out and shooting one out and not letting the dog grab it. This sport has become whats in the mans mind and not whats in the genetics of the dogs.

Old Post 08-09-2020 12:19 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

I don't think its the amount if coon shot out but the right coons shot out at the right times....u can think that a dog needs all coons shot out , but that is ignorant ...wastefull to say the least.
So imo quality vs quantity....in the end ur dog will be more intelligent.

Old Post 08-09-2020 01:37 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

This is the way I see it in the hot summer I shoot very few coon because it’s like when I was a young man I squirrel hunted I could kinda tell the difference in a young good eating squirrel and a big ole tuff buck squirrel. Same in the summer the kittens are out my eyes are not as good and I just hate to have shot out a momma coon or one of her kittens. Now up in the fall if I got a young dog I like and he puts up a hard running boar coon by himself it’s coming out and me and him will go to the truck happy.

Tar

Old Post 08-09-2020 01:54 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

Around here we got clubs having small & big coon contests per event about 6 or more times a year . All they’re doing is teaching these young kids is to shoot everything. But when it’s time to guide a cast they caint put one cast in the woods . I see it a lot at other clubs too . If I had to shoot a bunch of coons out to a hound he wouldn’t be worth keeping to me .

Old Post 08-09-2020 02:33 PM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: How often to shoot a coon out got me thinking

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben

So what type of puppy will make a dog that won’t require many coon shot out to them? Let’s say you have well bred pups...and they are well socialized...you are a breeder that demands the best to maintain and improve the bloodline and you want to keep the best make for hunting and breeding if he turns out...if there are 4 males in the litter...how many would you keep and how would you cull and select so that in the end you have a dog that doesn’t need many coons shot out to him...and he is a bold full of confidence...

If I were keeping the 4 males in trying to pick the better pup of the 4...

I would hunt the pregnant dam...

I would socialize the pups and observe them daily...

I would use a coon in a roll cage at 4 month old...I will be interested in the pup that is bold and bays tight...the one that acts like he wants a piece of that coon...

The pups that are overly cautious that turn tail every time the coon hisses are loosing points...the one that fires up more really has my interest...

I will also set them up to tree and watch how they operate...I will encourage a higher level of performance but I am looking for natural ability...the pups that just go crazy over a coon the first time they see one...the one that goes green eyed and hackled, slobber mouthed hate a coon coondog puppy or puppies...Yea

At 6 months I’ll let them bay a coon and then I will have a coondog probably their dam, ready to turn in to the fracas that’s fixing to happen...when the pups are fired up I will turn the coon loose as well as their dam...they can catch or chase the coon to the tree and tree it...I want to see how they handle themselves...if a pup gets a little mauled and it is a setback for him I probably won’t be needing that pup...if a pup gets a little mauled and he gets right back in the coons face...well that is a big plus in his favor...

At six months I will be down to three pups...at ten months I’ll be down to two pups and at a year I might be keeping two...

There is no guarantee I am keeping the best but this style of testing and conditioning has worked for me...

This is looking for the natural want to in a pup...when we select and choose for this type of pup many positive traits will fall in place...
he might be near death from heat exhaustion as a coondog but he’ll be trying to get back on the wood...
It’s in the breeding and selection...

Last edited by Reuben on 08-09-2020 at 11:44 PM

Old Post 08-09-2020 11:38 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldsouth123
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pullen
Around here we got clubs having small & big coon contests per event about 6 or more times a year . All they’re doing is teaching these young kids is to shoot everything. But when it’s time to guide a cast they caint put one cast in the woods . I see it a lot at other clubs too . If I had to shoot a bunch of coons out to a hound he wouldn’t be worth keeping to me .
Around here when we have a pound hunt or big coon contest ,you can only enter one coon.They weigh the coons and put the weights from the zero to the highest number in a hat and draw the numbers the one closest to the high number without going over is the winner.Everyone that entered had an equal chance to win and saves a lot of coons.It don't matter if someone has a super place and you don't you can only enter one coon Also for the smallest coon the one with the lowest number without going over is the winner.

Old Post 08-10-2020 05:18 AM
oldsouth123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oldsouth123 Click here to Send oldsouth123 a Private Message Find more posts by oldsouth123 Add oldsouth123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote