UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Percentage who got pups- ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mike Hilty
UKC Forum Member

Percentage who got pups- ?

Over the course of your lifetime, what percentage of the time did you get pups, whether you traveled, did progesterone test, AI, were early or late live, lot of variables, alot of things get in the way of well made plans......

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-27-2021 05:45 PM
Mike Hilty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Hilty Click here to Send Mike Hilty a Private Message Find more posts by Mike Hilty Add Mike Hilty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

I am 4 for 4 over 20 yrs. I always start on day 10. But 3 out of the 4 either the dam would not allow it of sire showed no intrest on day 10. Two were bred day 12 and one on day 13. I just counted from 1st day I saw blood drops. All the females were 1st time breeding, and most of the males too. The One male it was his 1st and 2nd time.

Old Post 01-28-2021 01:18 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

4 for 5 currently. Including a unplanned breeding and a breeding of a non coonhound breed. Only miss I’ve ever had is a AI breeding, always gotten puppies with natural breedings.
My first litter she was bred day 9 & day 11, second litter she was bred around day 12 & then day 14, not sure about the 3rd litter and the 4th litter she was bred from day 15 - day 19.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 01-28-2021 03:08 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

Personally, I have bred 7 females and raised 5 litters from those 7. Only one of those breedings was an AI and it was successful (8 pups from a 8 year old female).

One of the unsuccessful breedings I conducted was because my female contracted Lyme disease right around the same time of breeding. The 2nd unsuccessful breeding was for unknown reasons.

What I have learned from breeding this many litters is that every female is different, and a general "rule of thumb" might not always work with your particular female. When I had an artificial breeding done, Dean Bitzel told me that my female would not be ready to breed until day 17 of her heat cycle. I had raised two litters from this female prior and bred her from day 7-10 onward. I would have called him a liar, had he not helped me successfully whelp 8 pups.

I had a Feist gyp once that stood for a male two days after beginning to bleed and whelped four beautiful pups.

There is a lot I (and others) have to learn about breeding, but what I will agree with is, HAVE A GAME PLAN AND STICK TO IT!

Last edited by Corey Gruver on 01-28-2021 at 06:05 PM

Old Post 01-28-2021 05:55 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

Only had 2 females I ever missed
one would be in heat for 28 days. Found out much later in life counting days with her would not work.
had another that would stand on her 9th day and it befuddled me thinking I had missed first signs so I bred her too early

Personal experience.
You will almost never never catch first day blood
By the time you see blood they are already 3-5 days into cycle
By day 5 it is quite obvious
By day 7 swelling has started
By day 11 blood flow has slowed and the tell tale blood color change has begun and eggs should be starting to be released
I shoot for 3 days after this time
Most if you rub above their tail will be starting to flag
In any case I go for the 3-4 days after they start flagging good
Within 3 days they should be ready for a successful breeding
Mother nature has a built in fail safe to ensure species survival
Male sperm can survive for 3-4 days inside the female
The eggs in a female must ripen for 3 days after release from ovaries and within a few days if not fertilized will start being shed

I know a guy that swears by his method. Together with my counting and his method we are usually within 12 hours of each other for when they are ready to breed

I never did it but how he determines ready to breed ...
If you feel the female Her privates area is soft and mushy
When they are ready there will be a hard grisly walnut sized lump felt there (coon hound sized dogs)

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Last edited by benderb4 on 01-28-2021 at 09:29 PM

Old Post 01-28-2021 09:23 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote