UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Another thyroid/ elichriosis ?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

Another thyroid/ elichriosis ?

I have a dog that tested positve for elichriosis and low thyroid jan2017. His whole underside was beet red looked like mange but vet checked and no mange. Has cleared up some compared to last year but still red in arm pit areas. He is not the dog he once was and i had noticed when i hunted him his underside would again become inflamed then settle back down with inactivity. I have Been letting him run loose and he is rambling and treeing some afterwards again hid underside feet legs will get beet red and he does scratch at it like it is itching. Three days ago i started giving him a benedryl tablet once a day, this morning his skin is the clearest its been since before the elichria/thyroid problem. I am going to turn him out this evening for 3 or 4 hours to see if it blows up red again. Thoughts opinions?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-22-2018 02:43 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
justus
UKC Forum Member

My buddies dog tested positive for it other day. Some nights he just trail and trail and never tree. I went winter clsssic both nights made 14 trees 5 dens and 9 coons he never made a tree. Got check week later same thing yours tested for

GrNite-Queen of Diamonds-(GrNite TnT's Smokeman-Lesters Queen)

TK'S Turkey Cocks Slinger-(GrNite-Charlie Brown-GrNite-Queen of Diamons

Diamonds 14k-(GrNite-Days hardwood Lonzo-GrNite-Queen of Diamonds

Old Post 02-23-2018 05:05 AM
justus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for justus Click here to Send justus a Private Message Click Here to Email justus Find more posts by justus Add justus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Another thyroid/ elichriosis ?

quote:
Originally posted by dean jamerson
I have a dog that tested positve for elichriosis and low thyroid jan2017. His whole underside was beet red looked like mange but vet checked and no mange. Has cleared up some compared to last year but still red in arm pit areas. He is not the dog he once was and i had noticed when i hunted him his underside would again become inflamed then settle back down with inactivity. I have Been letting him run loose and he is rambling and treeing some afterwards again hid underside feet legs will get beet red and he does scratch at it like it is itching. Three days ago i started giving him a benedryl tablet once a day, this morning his skin is the clearest its been since before the elichria/thyroid problem. I am going to turn him out this evening for 3 or 4 hours to see if it blows up red again. Thoughts opinions?
i got a friend who had the same thing happen . after many vet trips one of them told him to switch feed . science diet

Old Post 02-23-2018 01:19 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If the benadryl helps then your dog has developed an allergy to something that is in the woods. Changing his feed won't help. Give him 2 benadryl whenever he gets back from hunting and again the next morning.

Old Post 02-23-2018 02:56 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
If the benadryl helps then your dog has developed an allergy to something that is in the woods. Changing his feed won't help. Give him 2 benadryl whenever he gets back from hunting and again the next morning.

Vet had suggested earleir about switching feed Which i had and didnt see much difference. They basically said you could spend a small fortune and may find out what he is alleric to. Turned him out yesterday and let him run for 3 or 4 hours, had some red tint in several areas but no where near as bad. Kind of leaning to allergic to something, thought it might be something to do with him running and a lot of activity. He doesnt seem to be a durable dog, feet get sore quick, just doesnt have the toughness he once had. Not much more than a yard dog now.

Old Post 02-23-2018 04:10 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It will take him awhile to get stamina back. Erlichiosis affects joints, like arthritis.

Old Post 02-23-2018 05:33 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Often times skin issues are a resault or side effect of low thyroid. What kinda thyroid level does your dog currently have?

Old Post 02-23-2018 05:57 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Lack of stamina/low energy level/lethargy are symptoms of low thyroid also.

Old Post 02-23-2018 06:10 PM
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I dont know what the exact level is but last time checked about a month ago vet said it was good. Previous check had been low.

Old Post 02-23-2018 08:03 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You might want to see what the #'s are yourself. Vets have a tendency to let a hounds levels run low normal.

Old Post 02-23-2018 08:08 PM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

What did you use when you treated this dog?

Old Post 02-24-2018 06:36 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
What did you use when you treated this dog?

Doxyclene for the erichliosis that was last year about this time. And he is on a .8! Thyroid pill twice per day now. Acts pretty good running loose around yard, just trying to figure out the skin issue, allergies or something related to thyroid. Had fella tell me not too long ago he thought that the elichriosis was a bigger deal/worse than the low thyroid, he may have a point.

Old Post 02-24-2018 12:53 PM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by dean jamerson
Doxyclene for the erichliosis that was last year about this time. And he is on a .8! Thyroid pill twice per day now. Acts pretty good running loose around yard, just trying to figure out the skin issue, allergies or something related to thyroid. Had fella tell me not too long ago he thought that the elichriosis was a bigger deal/worse than the low thyroid, he may have a point.

I went through that treatment twice and it came back both times, I gave him 600 mg of doxycycline a day for 30 days along with a shot of imozol once every 2 weeks and he's been in remission for 6 months now doing pretty good.

Old Post 02-24-2018 06:45 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote