UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Another thought to Ponder.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Another thought to Ponder.

It's been asked many times for our minds to wonder.
Why there are more Walkers over the hills and yonder.

Do they win more because they are good or just luck
Or because one can be found in the back of every truck

While you are thinking about all the facts
There is one more thing, I would like to ask.

The Treeing Walker edition of the Bloodlines Magazine
Is is most sought after reading and just has to be seen

The biggest and most read of any other
One that divides family and his brother

Is it because of them babbling and acting a fool
Or is it just maybe the Walkers do rule.

Merry Christmas!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-25-2018 02:13 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

You are correct in so many way's !!

Old Post 12-25-2018 02:27 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Coots
UKC Forum Member

I drew out 3 walkers against my ol bluetick
When them walkers left babbling it really made me sick

The handlers struck anyway first second then third
But since no coon was smelled ol blue never said a word

As quick as could be them walkers hit a tree
Ol blue just kept going cause he wanted to please me

The tree was small and slick but they said oh yes give us a plus
I just kept quiet no use to make a fuss

When they pulled em off I yelled strike and tree ol blue
He was deep all alone in the back of a big slough

We begin to shine and I find a ball of hair
But they said that's no coon but they knew it wasn't fair

So I just smiled and said heck it must be a monkey
Merry Christmas to you my friend Mr Conkey.

Old Post 12-25-2018 03:09 PM
Greg Coots is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Coots Click here to Send Greg Coots a Private Message Click Here to Email Greg Coots Find more posts by Greg Coots Add Greg Coots to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I can't imagine how anyone could ever question the fact the Walkers are head and shoulders above all the rest when it comes to filling out a scorecard.
As for the non-scorecard part of our sport, you can make a strong argument for all of the other breeds. You just have to argue a little harder with the Plotts and Leps.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-25-2018 03:12 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I think that it is called a self fulfilling prophecy. Walkers win more because there are more of them so there are more good ones. That means that there are more bad ones also. And guys like Timothy Ball and several more are why there are more of them. I can't think of one big Redbone promoter from years past but I can think of more than 10 big walker dog promoters.
It is just like more people reading the walker dog issue of the magazine. There are more walker dog people and they like to talk about there dogs a lot more than most other breeds.

Old Post 12-25-2018 03:15 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
I can't imagine how anyone could ever question the fact the Walkers are head and shoulders above all the rest when it comes to filling out a scorecard.....

Why are walker dog handlers so good at filling out scorecards? Why is it that every time there is a problem in a cast, it involves a walker dog's handler? Is that because there are more walker dog handlers? If walker dogs are so much better, why do their handlers have to help them so much?

Old Post 12-25-2018 03:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Lol

I don't like it at all, but I gotta say the man has a point. And, one more thing its contagious, and spreads to other breeds.

Old Post 12-25-2018 04:14 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Them walkers can be tuff to beat, but when you do it sure is satisfieing

Old Post 12-25-2018 04:49 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

I believe you answered your own questions, along with making some rather absurd statements. "Every time there is a problem on a cast, it is a walker"! Are you serious? EVERY means always and that's B. S. Looking at 50 years of Competition hunts and what breed has dominated these hunts speaks for itself. Ability outweighs all other factors including numbers of a certain breed to determine which breed is better. 99 bad Walkers can not beat 1 good Red bone to win the World Championship. You win your cast, you advance regardless of what you hunt against. All the excuses in the world does not negate ability, ability is what wins World Championships. I have hunted All breeds if hounds and curs, and the best dogs I have seen have been Walker dogs. I have had some pretty good dogs in all breeds, but the best have been Walker dogs. I suspect this is the reason why they out number all the other breeds. Hunt what breed you like, but don't be a hater. Dave p.s. come up anytime and check out a couple of walker dogs we are hunting and see for yourself. Dave

Old Post 12-25-2018 05:05 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

mr lambert

? 1.because having a high scoring walker dog you have to keep up with all those numbers.? 2. because a walker dogs are usually winning the cast so they have something to fight for the others not so much.? 3. their not helping so much as just trying to keep up with the dogs ability to perform in such stiff competition LMAO. how'd I do Mr Richards/tar.

Old Post 12-25-2018 05:05 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Some dogs are red.

Some dogs are blue.

Walkers tree coons.

The others mee too.

Old Post 12-25-2018 05:07 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

100%hunter

You done a great job! Tar, liked your little poem, lot of truth in that poem, hope the boys don't get their feeling hurt! You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. Lol. Dave

Old Post 12-25-2018 05:18 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Filling out the score card is what handlers do! Some dont need a coondog. How about you?

Old Post 12-25-2018 05:27 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: mr lambert

quote:
Originally posted by 100%hunter
..... 2. because a walker dogs are usually winning the cast so they have something to fight for the others not so much.? ......

Why does it have to be such a fight?
Mr Dave, spoken like a true walker dog lover that reads all of the magazine's but doesn't comp hunt himself. Why do you always want someone to come up there And hunt with your dog in those mountains? Bring him out to some big comp hunts this summer And show us what he can do. Or are you afraid of those high powered walker dog handlers? And I don't hate all walker dogs, just the babbling, slick treeing idiots. There are some good ones, but there are also a whole lot of not so good ones.
And Tarbaby, that is a good one.

Old Post 12-25-2018 05:29 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

I hate those kind of dogs myself, and I suspect most hunters feel the same way. My invitation to come hunt, is just that, an offer to show you some walker dogs that can do the job in WINTER TIME, with no leaves and no excuses. Nothing to be gained summer hunting and a bunch of circle trees, that means nothing. Winter time exposes the fake coon trees of any breed. All the talk about slick treeing Walkers, it would seem like you would welcome an opportunity to see them operate in the winter with no leaves and no excuses, maybe not! You issue me an offer to come down and watch you dogs perform and I will be there, if you will do the same thing and come up for a hunt. Frankly, I like to show these dogs off and you would make a pretty good reference. Dave

Old Post 12-25-2018 05:48 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

When I travel off somewhere to hunt, it is somewhere with flat hunting, good weather and plenty of coons. And the leaves and circle trees don't bother me. You still have to tree coons to win. Bring that high powered walker dog down to the Winter Classic and show everyone how he stacks up against the other good walker dogs out there. They don't have any leaves down there. I am sure that he can tree a coon up there in those Mts. I don't have to see that, you have told us how good he is.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-25-2018 at 06:02 PM

Old Post 12-25-2018 05:56 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Regarding my competition hunting status, I won my fair share of Competition hunts back in the day. I still go to a few, not often, but still win my share. My true passion is coonhunting in the winter months and seeing just how good the dogs are then. Summer hunts don't prove very much, if they can't do it in the winter months. Our dogs have already made Champions in the hunts and now we are championing them on coons in the winter months, the true test. Dave

Old Post 12-25-2018 05:57 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

I can understand you not wanting to make a trip to the mountains to hunt, it is tough hunting as you know. My hunting trips are taken to flat ground, lots if coons places. I was just putting the invitation out there, nothing to hide on my part. You would be a great reference to our dogs performance, we all like to brag a little. Dave

Old Post 12-25-2018 06:04 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

When I read the book “Walkers for Dummies” the title kind of fit. But more importantly the first paragraph asked an important question and the answer given, described my fifty years experience with hounds.
The question was, why Walkers? The answer was a simple one. The Walker Breeders as a whole have developed a hound that just about anyone with limited experience can take and train to catch coon. Other breeds still have too many pups that wont hunt. Wont tree. Wont keep an inexperienced person interested in training them.
Then I got the book “Breeding for Dummies”. Again a title I can relate to. It said if any hound breed as a whole wanted to match performance with the Walkers. The following ahould be done.
1. Stop being jealous of what your friends breed. If it can improve you line of dogs. Go visit your friend.
2. Stop breeding for color and looks. That can be acomplished in a couple generations at a later time. Once the ability is there.
3. Before you line breed dogs that your attached to because Uncle Felix hunted them. Outcross on the best you can find. You have to start with a solid foundation. Not just a pretty one.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 12-25-2018 at 07:07 PM

Old Post 12-25-2018 06:58 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Why Walkers? It may be a simple question but he missed it. Jmo

Old Post 12-25-2018 07:10 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
........The following ahould be done.......
1. Stop being jealous of what your friends breed. If it can improve you line of dogs. Go visit your friend.
2. Stop breeding for color and looks. That can be acomplished in a couple generations at a later time. Once the ability is there.
3. Before you line breed dogs that your attached to because Uncle Felix hunted them. Outcross on the best you can find. You have to start with a solid foundation. Not just a pretty one.

Now that is something that we should all agree on. Thanks for posting Mr Conkey.

Old Post 12-25-2018 07:18 PM
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

0ld folk back at it again.

Old Post 12-25-2018 07:51 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I hunt blue dogs and can tell you from experience that I enjoy hunting them more than I did the walkers that I hunted but don't see much difference except color really.
I wish I could say there is a noticeable difference because then there would be a reason for them never winning the world hunt. But there just is no reason other than unlucky. Honest truth.

Old Post 12-25-2018 07:53 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Midnightghost
UKC Forum Member

The way I see it is 40 years ago guys liked going to tree. Probably why the walker dogs took off. My experience is 25 years ago if you drawed a male bluetick is was more than likely ruff. The black and tans liked real fast game and most didn't have a mouth worth a darn. English dogs could tree a coon but most couldn't track. I asked one of the big English guys back then why he hunted tri colored dogs. He said if a redtick isn't ruff give him a little bit and he will be. I don't know on that one. Redbones have never hunted with one that was a top hound. I will have to say for my self if it's not a buck Creek dog probably won't be on the end of my lead very long.

Old Post 12-25-2018 08:23 PM
Midnightghost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Midnightghost Click here to Send Midnightghost a Private Message Click Here to Email Midnightghost Find more posts by Midnightghost Add Midnightghost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JAH
Banned

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
nted to match performance with the Walkers. The following ahould be done.

In my opinion that is one reason Walkers are better then the off breeds.The Walker guys as a rule don't care who owns it or what breeding is behind if.If they think it will improve what they have they reach in their pocket for the stud fee.The off breeds guys are to jealous and kennel blind to do that. That's why until they change they will always be sucking hind tit

Old Post 12-25-2018 09:08 PM
JAH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JAH Click here to Send JAH a Private Message Click Here to Email JAH Find more posts by JAH Add JAH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote