UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Bobcat - Legally, Midwest/North
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Bobcat - Legally, Midwest/North

Gang,

I live in Northern IN right on the MI line.. Where can a non resident go run a bobcat with hounds legally anywhere near me? I would love to run hounds on a cat. Don't care if I kill one, but would like to see the dog work. Any options around?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-12-2021 03:47 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Missouri allows non-residents. Season is Nov 15 - Jan 31, same as coon and other fur bearers. They can be pursued (training purpose) anytime with dogs except during daylight hours of firearms deer season.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-12-2021 08:57 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Thank you RM. fairly close to home as well.

Will have to watch the snow forecast. That would be an easy trip to some of the NW counties. Good bit of state ground up there to as I recall.

Old Post 01-12-2021 10:46 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
Thank you RM. fairly close to home as well.

Will have to watch the snow forecast. That would be an easy trip to some of the NW counties. Good bit of state ground up there to as I recall.

Larry I live in North MO. Furbearer season on cats closes in the 31st. You can run them year round. If I can be of help let me know.

Old Post 01-13-2021 01:02 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Josh!!

Old Post 01-13-2021 01:58 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: Bobcat - Legally, Midwest/North

quote:
Gang,

I live in Northern IN right on the MI line.. Where can a non resident go run a bobcat with hounds legally anywhere near me? I would love to run hounds on a cat. Don't care if I kill one, but would like to see the dog work. Any options around?

Not sure how others find hunting Bobcat but most of the guys I’ve talked to here in the Northeast say it is difficult to get them to stay in a tree when you start coming in to the hounds. Many have told me they shoot the majority of them on the ground in front of their hounds the way you would a hare or rabbit.

I’ve had my beagles run them on occasion over the years. Also had my coon hounds tree them at night a few times. I shot a yearling one night by accident thinking it was a coon. All I had was an eye and it was in the top of a big hemlock. Had a big surprise when it hit the ground!

Old Post 01-13-2021 03:21 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

DL- I've seen other guys speak of the type of hunt you mention.. I've run a couple in MI at night as well.. I've seen one's eyes in the tree, but he bailed out before I got close.. big bright eyes!! Wild chase..

I'd like to tree one, selfishly..

Old Post 01-13-2021 03:32 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

They'll usually circle in front of dogs that will stay on them and keep them moving but don't have the extra gear to catch them or tree them...or the snow conditions favor the cat because the dogs are sinking in the snow and the cat is walking on top.

Finding dogs that will catch or tree them consistently are harder to find then a good coondog. Way harder.....

Old Post 01-13-2021 04:08 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Donnie I hear a lot of guys talking about running cats but they sure don’t cAtch many. Believe you are spot on.

I may just book a lion humt next year and roll.

Old Post 01-14-2021 02:46 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Larry as a general rule the thicker the stuff they're in the harder its gonna be to get em out. Little bigger woods and a good track dog will get his share esp with good snow conditions. Around here they live in thickets about head high, several miles square, and so thick the dog will get em screwed down making 20 ft circles around you and you ain't seen a hair of nothin lol. Takes a special kinda track dog to make that work day after day. I'm no cat hunter but I've hunted with some dandies. I decided 30 years ago eight hours on snowshoes ain't my idea of a good time lol.

Old Post 01-14-2021 04:55 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Donnie,

I could not imagine hunting in your country.. spent a little time in Halifax and saw the tidal bore at the bay of fundy, drank some screetch, ate some interesting food and enjoyed it immensely for a couple days..

Flew on up to Newfoundland and hunted bear for a week with my son.. He took a nice bear.. I saw three Lynx, 24 moose, more Hare's than i could count, couple fox and a couple marten that came into my baits, but never laid eyes on a bear..

The thickness of the brush and woods was unbelievable.. The older gentlemen we hunted with had hunted hounds in his youth up there and was still a pretty serious trapper. Said it was more fun to dog them, but a lot easier to trap them in that country..

Side note - anyone who eats Seal meat is a tough and hungry son of a gun.. They served it one night at the lodge.. Thank God, they had other food to eat besides!!!!

Last edited by Larry Hall on 01-14-2021 at 03:27 PM

Old Post 01-14-2021 02:07 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

You’re going to laugh when I tell you this but on 10” of good snow or less a really good beagle that can push a hare through the tracks circle after circle will be able to do the same on a bobcat.

That does not hold true once the snow depth gets over 10-12”. That being said usually a bobcat, like most game, won’t run any further ahead of a dog than what is necessary for it to feel unthreatened. From what I’ve seen they don’t head out of the country unless a dog can push them hard. That’s what makes them run and will put them in a tree. They are not long winded animals anyways.

Old Post 01-14-2021 03:22 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

I've got a tight mouth son of a gun.. Mebbe he could sneak up and ambush them lol.. I'd imagine it could be addictive if you were in the right country and had the dogs.. We have very few bobcats here at home, almost non existent..

Old Post 01-15-2021 02:26 PM
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

"IF"---

you have a belly rubbing tree hound, good luck keeping one in the tree. The ones that will stay away from the tree and stay "under" the cat when it goes out on the limb seem to keep them in the tree better. Just be sure when it comes out of the tree it is STONE DEAD, they dig them front claws into the back of a dog they can gut one out in a hurry.

Old Post 01-15-2021 03:23 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Eastern NC

The true cat hunters down here have packs and they hunt the roughest/thickest country you could imagine. They have very specialized hounds that pull up on a cat and its a very neat thing to watch how these hounds work together to tree or catch the cat. They start swinging out and cutting and eventually he has two choices fight or climb. These boys down here may use some tree stock but I think mostly fox hounds. These guys don't shoot every cat they tree. Their hounds will take a stubborn cat that wont climb but once these hounds put one in a tree he does not come down normally.. This is a very specialized group of guys and they normally start hunting after deer season..

Old Post 01-15-2021 05:09 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Burns
UKC Forum Member

Re: Bobcat - Legally, Midwest/North

quote:
Gang,

Old Post 01-16-2021 10:26 PM
John Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Burns Click here to Send John Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email John Burns Find more posts by John Burns Add John Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Burns
UKC Forum Member

Bobcat-legally

I hunted them in hot and dry Arizona. Had no trouble keeping them in tree once they climed. My hounds seemed to prefer running them over coon. Perhaps it was because we had more of them in that country. I am told by men who are more knowledgeable then I am that bobcats don't lay much scent but I never noticed that. When my dogs hit a trail it was like a sight chase for a couple of miles. Bobcats are tough critters in a fight. In my experience, they are very fast and they are aggressive. A dog that tangles with a bob cat will be bleeding when the fight is done.

I am also told by some who should know that people who hunt them in the brush country of Texas use begels with some success.

Old Post 01-16-2021 10:45 PM
John Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Burns Click here to Send John Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email John Burns Find more posts by John Burns Add John Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Much appreciated

Old Post 01-17-2021 04:02 PM