UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon Population in NC
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blueman3
UKC Forum Member

Coon Population in NC

Has anyone else had a problem not bein able to strike a coon here lately. I live in the central part if the state and it seems like the coon population is down. Is anybody else having this problem?

'PR' Jones' Blue Carolina Kate
'PR' Timber Rattling Bo Didley

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-07-2012 03:51 PM
blueman3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueman3 Click here to Send blueman3 a Private Message Click Here to Email blueman3 Find more posts by blueman3 Add blueman3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tarriverwalkers
UKC Forum Member

No ive treed about 4 coons anite for the last month. butter i can say I've run alot of boars the last two weeks I've kill about 10 boars.

GRNITE GRCH PKC CH 'PR' HARRY FOCKER ALL GRAND semen pup
2014 world qualified
2015 world qualified

PR Tar River allnite Maggie (1st,2nd) 2 BFMOS
FOCKER PUP

GRAND CH NITECH PR MR COOPER (3)
FOCKER pup

NITECH CH PR TAR RIVER COME GET'CHA SUM(4WIN GRAND) ALL GRAND

NITCH GRCH WCH HARDWOOD BLITZ ATTACK (4 WINS TOWARD GRAND)

NITECH EVIL'S CRAZY COODER (3 win toward grand) ALL GRAND PEDIGREE
2010 World Qualified

GRNITE GRCH GRWCH(PR) TAR RIVER TREE CRAVEN RAVEN

3rd placed RQE QUALIFED
2010 World Qualified
2010 World Finalist Top 100
2010 finished 21st
2011 RQE QUALIFIED
2011 world Qualified
2014 world Qualified
2015 world Qualified

Grch 'Pr' Tar River Tree Shak'in Bella Ann
(World champion Mr CLEAN PUP

NiteCh Ch Tar River Under Moonlite Hanna has (3wins)
(World champion BIG D X NITECH PR Thee Andria Gale)

Tar River Coon Craven Dixie-chik
World champion Mr CLEAN PUP

CH NITECH PKC GOLD CH(PR) TAR RIVER Queen

NITECH GR CH STRIGHT TEQUILA NITE

CH NITECH (PR) NOCTARNAL BLAZE

Old Post 02-07-2012 04:27 PM
tarriverwalkers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tarriverwalkers Click here to Send tarriverwalkers a Private Message Click Here to Email tarriverwalkers Visit tarriverwalkers's homepage! Find more posts by tarriverwalkers Add tarriverwalkers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueman3
UKC Forum Member

it must just be my area or my dogs one lol

Old Post 02-07-2012 05:34 PM
blueman3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueman3 Click here to Send blueman3 a Private Message Click Here to Email blueman3 Find more posts by blueman3 Add blueman3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLJohnson
UKC Forum Member

Do what I do and blame the moon

Middle Creek Kennels:

Home of:

-GRNITECH Ball's Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
GRCH GRNITECH PR' Crow and Grant's Cutter
-GRCH GRNITECH PR' Night Heat Abby

NITECH PR' Middle Creek's Stylish Kate (1st place 2011 UKC Youth National open hunt and overall high scoring treeing walker female. 1st Place Plott Sectional and overall high scoring dog. Qualified for the 2012 UKC World Championship. Qualified for the 2012 Youth Nationals.)

-NITECH PR' MC Queen & Fergys Wipeout Zack
'PR' Wipeout Pebbles
-NTECH PR' Packrat

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Hard Knockin Stylish Hayes
GRNITECH ‘PR’ Ball’s Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Schmersal’s Stylish Anna

NITECH ‘PR’ Middle Creek’s Stylish Banjo

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Turpin’s Insane Cain
NITECH ‘PR’ Johnson’s Extreme Jane
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Treesinging Rambling Roxy

Old Post 02-07-2012 07:04 PM
CLJohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLJohnson Click here to Send CLJohnson a Private Message Find more posts by CLJohnson Add CLJohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robgregory
UKC Forum Member

blueman3

I got the same problem.We got about 5 or six decent farms to hunt.And ever one of 'em were sure places to strike a track.It's been really bad here lately tho.We also acquired permission to hunt a new farm.One that any coonhunter would surely bet his last dollar it would be full of coon.It has a lot of hardwoods and A creek on one side and a river on another.I've only seen 2 coon in there since our season started.I know we have had a problem with rabies and distemper in our coons for at least 10 yrs. or more.Now we have coyotes that have moved in.And I don't just mean a few.People 'round here are startin' to see 'em nearly everday.I don't know for sure that is the problem,but it's the only thing I can think of.
Rob Gregory

home#- 540-925-4437
cell#-757-339-3454
Home of:
"PR"High Lonesome Hannah. Nt.Ch. Hardtime Miss Kitty's Cat

Old Post 02-07-2012 08:39 PM
robgregory is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robgregory Click here to Send robgregory a Private Message Find more posts by robgregory Add robgregory to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TARriver red
UKC Forum Member

I have noticed that the coon population has been down my way this year also. I know that the coons in one of my honey holes must have gotten distemper or some sort of disease. I have found alot of dead coons in the woods. I know nobody has been in there because it behind my house. I believe that the weather we have been having has something to due with the way the coons are moving. Some nights I can get in them and tree 5 to 6 singles and other nights I cant hardly strike a track. I have been hunting these spots all my life and this has been one of the worst kill seasons that I can remember. I also agree with Rob about the coyotes. I think when they get thick in a place everything else seems to move out.

Adrian Strickland

Home of the Tar River Redbones:
Nite Ch, GrCH 2008 AKC World Champion Redbone Tar Rivers Rambling Red Rudy
Nite Ch Tar Rivers Rudy's Trudy "T"(2011 Grand American Final 4)

In Memory of
Ntch.Tar Rivers Red Alice
Gr Ch Hales Red Ruby
Gr Ch Tar Rivers Big Slick
Tar River Buddy

Last edited by TARriver red on 02-07-2012 at 09:41 PM

Old Post 02-07-2012 09:38 PM
TARriver red is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TARriver red Click here to Send TARriver red a Private Message Click Here to Email TARriver red Find more posts by TARriver red Add TARriver red to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BHKNC
UKC Forum Member

Same Here

Same around my area, btwn the yotes and a few hunters i know who kill all n th tree the pop is down, and I'm almost 100% positive this weather is thrown eveyhing off on top of that....

910-233-7295

Find us on Facebook:
Benson Hill Kennels

Current Hounds:
"PR" Benson Hill's Honey Dew

Past/Retired/Deceased Hounds:
Ch "PR" "Impressive Nocturnal Psyco" RIP 3/2001-12/2012
"PR" "Carolina Moons Smokin' Blue Jag" (RIP 12-28-10)
NtCh "PR" Jones Creek Allnight Cody (RIP 12/12/13)

Proud to offer 1 free pick of any and all litters born to our females to YOUTH hunters ages 5-17. Check our facebook pg for upcoming litter!

Old Post 02-07-2012 10:20 PM
BHKNC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BHKNC Click here to Send BHKNC a Private Message Click Here to Email BHKNC Visit BHKNC's homepage! Find more posts by BHKNC Add BHKNC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slo Motion23
UKC Forum Member

Its down here also in the green swamp. Tree a few singles here and there but this rut is killing me im trying to work with a 11 month old pup and these long runs with these boar coons is ending in the dog loosing it. But oh well theres always next year

Old Post 02-07-2012 10:40 PM
Slo Motion23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slo Motion23 Click here to Send Slo Motion23 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slo Motion23 Find more posts by Slo Motion23 Add Slo Motion23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry Adams
UKC Forum Member

coon population down.........here's a few of reasons

1- In listening to a lot of land owners,in which most are deer hunters, they are wanting the coyotes off their land, because they are afraid they are going to kill all their deer. So they are getting rid of them the lazy way, by meat laced with poison. What do think the coons do when they come across this bait.

2- The new NC - Written Permission Law that went into affect this year, has a lot of people hunting Game Lands and when they tree a coon, they shoot all the coons out they tree, because they assume the next guy coming along will if they don't. Coons are like deer when it comes to breeding, they room for miles, and if they enter Game Land, they're dead.

3- Deer hunters AGAIN are a problem for the coon hunter. They are now trapping coons and killing them for a few dollars from the "Furr buying man". They are complaining about the coons eating all their corn they're baiting for their prize deer.

4- And I'm sure some are dieing from be sick.

4 Generation All Grand
GRNITECH 'PR' ADAMS MIDNITE SWAMP RACKET ( R.I.P. 5-17-03 - 12-26-11)

GRCH. GRNITECH 'PR' ADAMS COON CRAZY CATIE (2007 UKC World Top 100 * 2007&2008 High Scoring Dog friday night S.E.Days)

CH. NITECH. 'PR' MIDNITE SWAMP RACKET'S LIL'MAN ( 4 win towards Grnitech.)

"And a whole bunch of young prospects"

Old Post 02-07-2012 10:41 PM
Terry Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Terry Adams Click here to Send Terry Adams a Private Message Click Here to Email Terry Adams Find more posts by Terry Adams Add Terry Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueman3
UKC Forum Member

yeah ive not been seein as many coons run over on the roads either here around home

Old Post 02-07-2012 11:32 PM
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

i used to hunt the flat woods down in bennett. but that was along time ago. im grew up in seagrove and we had a good population up there

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Old Post 02-07-2012 11:38 PM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueman3
UKC Forum Member

Yeah the flat woods ain't much but pines and cutovers now..there's not to many hardwoods in there anymore

Old Post 02-08-2012 12:23 AM
BHKNC
UKC Forum Member

Another thing

I aint seen as many roadkills either, but the cuttin ay have a lot to do with it to....i know the paper mills and such like plantin pines back cuz they grow fast....but what about all the dens and mast trees they're killin off too? I THINK TREE FARMS SHOULD PLANT 3 hardwoods for every pine they plant....this is affecting deer, bear and squirrel pops too...

910-233-7295

Find us on Facebook:
Benson Hill Kennels

Current Hounds:
"PR" Benson Hill's Honey Dew

Past/Retired/Deceased Hounds:
Ch "PR" "Impressive Nocturnal Psyco" RIP 3/2001-12/2012
"PR" "Carolina Moons Smokin' Blue Jag" (RIP 12-28-10)
NtCh "PR" Jones Creek Allnight Cody (RIP 12/12/13)

Proud to offer 1 free pick of any and all litters born to our females to YOUTH hunters ages 5-17. Check our facebook pg for upcoming litter!

Old Post 02-08-2012 05:50 AM
BHKNC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BHKNC Click here to Send BHKNC a Private Message Click Here to Email BHKNC Visit BHKNC's homepage! Find more posts by BHKNC Add BHKNC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Strickland
UKC Forum Member

The places I hunt I AM THE ONLY one hunting these areas. They are LEASED land that I have leased or gain permission to hunt. NOW with these areas I have NO PROBLEM treeing coons, BUT when I want to make a quick drop or two without having to drive 15-20 min and I go to just a random spot that is being hunted to death by every other coon hunter in my area OF COURSE I wont strike nothing unless it is 800 yards or more. We have a PROBLEM with hunters around here who like to BRAGG with how many they got at the end of the season and some are known for , If they tree 3 coons in one tree all 3 must die. NOW me I have killed 18 coons since season came in 8 of those coon was just last week , we wanted to see last week how many our pups could tree in one week. I leave more coons than I shoot. If we continue to shoot every coon we tree then we are not going to have NO COONS to tree. I treed 2 coons tonite and GUESS what ? I left bot in there trees. YOU DONT have to give your dog a coon everytime, A good job and pat up is just as good!

ALSO #3 in Terry Adams post is TRUE also, I talked with a guy the other day who said he had trapped 11 coons out a set of timber he had his deer stand in because the coons tore his corn pile up this season before his deer could eat.

Old Post 02-08-2012 08:33 AM
J Strickland is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Strickland Click here to Send J Strickland a Private Message Find more posts by J Strickland Add J Strickland to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TRDean
UKC Forum Member

Anybody

hunt up around Granville County? Lookin for people to hunt with.

Tim

Old Post 02-08-2012 11:41 AM
TRDean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TRDean Click here to Send TRDean a Private Message Click Here to Email TRDean Find more posts by TRDean Add TRDean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tarriverwalkers
UKC Forum Member

2drops 2coons last nite on a full moon nite

2014 world qualified
2015 world qualified

FOCKER PUP

FOCKER pup

2010 World Qualified

3rd placed RQE QUALIFED
2010 World Qualified
2010 finished 21st
2011 RQE QUALIFIED
2011 world Qualified
2014 world Qualified
2015 world Qualified

Old Post 02-08-2012 01:25 PM
tarriverwalkers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tarriverwalkers Click here to Send tarriverwalkers a Private Message Click Here to Email tarriverwalkers Visit tarriverwalkers's homepage! Find more posts by tarriverwalkers Add tarriverwalkers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

what part of nc you in tarriver

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Old Post 02-08-2012 01:49 PM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry Adams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tarriverwalkers
2drops 2coons last nite on a full moon nite

I had a good hunt last night in that full moon also. I hunted "Lil'Man by himself, 4 drops - 3 coons, the last drop Mr. coon put something on him (bunch of big pines) he couldn't figure out which one he was in, if there at all. I usually don't have problems treeing coons on full moon nights.

4 Generation All Grand
GRNITECH 'PR' ADAMS MIDNITE SWAMP RACKET ( R.I.P. 5-17-03 - 12-26-11)

GRCH. GRNITECH 'PR' ADAMS COON CRAZY CATIE (2007 UKC World Top 100 * 2007&2008 High Scoring Dog friday night S.E.Days)

CH. NITECH. 'PR' MIDNITE SWAMP RACKET'S LIL'MAN ( 4 win towards Grnitech.)

"And a whole bunch of young prospects"

Last edited by Terry Adams on 02-08-2012 at 06:21 PM

Old Post 02-08-2012 05:52 PM
Terry Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Terry Adams Click here to Send Terry Adams a Private Message Click Here to Email Terry Adams Find more posts by Terry Adams Add Terry Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tarriverwalkers
UKC Forum Member

Rocky mount

2014 world qualified
2015 world qualified

FOCKER PUP

FOCKER pup

2010 World Qualified

3rd placed RQE QUALIFED
2010 World Qualified
2010 finished 21st
2011 RQE QUALIFIED
2011 world Qualified
2014 world Qualified
2015 world Qualified

Old Post 02-08-2012 06:04 PM
Matt Lee-NC
UKC Forum Member

At our hunting club a deer hunter said he trapped 4 coon, said he wanted to make a fur cap.....

Old Post 02-08-2012 06:12 PM
Matt Lee-NC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Lee-NC Click here to Send Matt Lee-NC a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Lee-NC Find more posts by Matt Lee-NC Add Matt Lee-NC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

i see very few coon in the croatan nat'l forest. i've never seen one cross the road in front on me in that forest. my dogs has defaulted to running fox and the occasional possum and bear.

Old Post 02-08-2012 06:50 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueghost
UKC Forum Member

Could be your coons ain't moving when you are hunting. I live on the state line Of N.c And V.A sometimes have the same problem Treed three Friday and dog had to get a mile deep to tree one Saturday night

Old Post 02-09-2012 12:21 AM
blueghost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueghost Click here to Send blueghost a Private Message Click Here to Email blueghost Find more posts by blueghost Add blueghost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jay Bird 76
UKC Forum Member

Im hunting near the Va and NC line as well. Ive heard of more people trapping coons lately, really I just hope my dog doesnt get caught.

Old Post 02-09-2012 05:43 AM
Jay Bird 76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jay Bird 76 Click here to Send Jay Bird 76 a Private Message Find more posts by Jay Bird 76 Add Jay Bird 76 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueman3
UKC Forum Member

yeah blueghost that may be my problem because i cut loose right at dark

Old Post 02-09-2012 02:28 PM
TRDean
UKC Forum Member

This is a timely thread...

Just a couple weeks ago I contacted Colleen Olfenbuttel (the NC furbearing biologist) about the coon pupulation. Among other things she sent me this..

However, since 1987, the NCWRC has surveyed coon clubs on the number of raccoons seen during their field trial events. Here is a link to the report: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...rial_report.pdf

It is an interesting read...and gives a little insight.

Hope this help you fellas...

Tim

Old Post 02-10-2012 01:56 PM
TRDean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TRDean Click here to Send TRDean a Private Message Click Here to Email TRDean Find more posts by TRDean Add TRDean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote