UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Black and Tan Colored Redbones
Do you have experience with black/tan colored redbones?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, have had them born here 48 27.91%
No, never had them - never heard of them 28 16.28%
Heard of it happening 82 47.67%
No way, a redbone can not be black/tan colored 14 8.14%
Total: 172 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lee Stocking
UKC Forum Member

Ill share a few pictures of what I have seen. Strains does not matter in the black dogs. The same thing happens with Dobies, Rotts and Min Pinchers. It is the gene in the black and tan colored dogs.
I cull them if I have them now.

NTCH PKCSilverCH Coble & Stocking's Swamp Rat Poison

NTCH Coble & Stocking's Stinger (GRNTCH Troubles x GRNTCH Fancy)

NTCH ACHA WReserve Team Troubles Trippy
Black & Tan

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-26-2010 01:06 PM
Lee Stocking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Stocking Click here to Send Lee Stocking a Private Message Click Here to Email Lee Stocking Find more posts by Lee Stocking Add Lee Stocking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Stocking
Ill share a few pictures of what I have seen. Strains does not matter in the black dogs. The same thing happens with Dobies, Rotts and Min Pinchers. It is the gene in the black and tan colored dogs.
I cull them if I have them now.

Aww.. that's too purdy to cull! J/k

Old Post 07-26-2010 01:41 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riproarinkennel
Banned

Re: Re: I would calm down

quote:
Originally posted by s/s

NOT TRYING TO BE SMART, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THE REDBONES THROW A BETTER LOOKING BLACK-N-TAN.

http://www.myspace.com/janetandbarrymorris

Old Post 07-26-2010 05:07 PM
riproarinkennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for riproarinkennel Click here to Send riproarinkennel a Private Message Click Here to Email riproarinkennel Find more posts by riproarinkennel Add riproarinkennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brady8687
UKC Forum Member

LMAO!!

Old Post 07-26-2010 05:39 PM
brady8687 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brady8687 Click here to Send brady8687 a Private Message Click Here to Email brady8687 Find more posts by brady8687 Add brady8687 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenneth Tavares
Banned

Re: LMAO

quote:
Originally posted by riproarinkennel
ACTUALLY ... IT WAS FOR SOMEONE WHO SENT ME A PM ABOUT BLACK-N-TAN REDBONES.

DOES THE OFFER STILL STAND ? LOL.

Sure. I'm a man of my word. Besides, anything to help out another coonhunter!

Stocking,
That is a nice houndy lookin pup. It looks liek the litter I raised about 15 years ago for a guy. All 10 looked alot like the one in your picture.

1/24/02---5/21/12
Manning, South Carolina
Ph. 803-840-2013
If you text this number you won’t get a response unless you include your name.

💰💰Click blue link to check us out on Facebook💰💰
👉🏼 Tavares' First Class Black & Tans 👈🏼

Tone it down guys, or they will delete another good topic...

Old Post 07-26-2010 08:21 PM
Kenneth Tavares is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kenneth Tavares Click here to Send Kenneth Tavares a Private Message Click Here to Email Kenneth Tavares Find more posts by Kenneth Tavares Add Kenneth Tavares to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roughcreek
UKC Forum Member

i'm gona bust a few bubbles on this subjuct. the truth about these dogs. i know from the 70's & i garrentee before that. alot of people bred red & b&t, walkers & blueticks & any other cross they wanted to make or even the old sheperd down the road. it wasnt uncommon to hear of someone breed a little bird dog in to improove hound nose. if you got a good dog out of what ever, you could & dont let nobody fool ya. go to any dog trade & get what ever papers fit that dog or dog to fit your papers !! this went on all over the country !!

i remember when i was a kid. they had a trade day in litchfield ky & there would be HUNDEREDS of dogs every wendsday. dog traders would be there from all over & have books of dog papers. buy a dog & thumb through & get what ever kind of paper you want !!

this is a dirty little secret that nobody wants to talk about from the GOOD OL DAYS !! if you wasnt anound then, you aint got a clue how much this went on !! & if you was around then we just dont publicize it or act like it didnt happen !!

yes there was reputable breeders but when pups & dogs left & wound up on the trade block you didnt have a clue if you was getting the right papers or not. hell i'v seen nite champion papers for sale back then. ol fido could get killed by a car or just up & die but his papers lived on !!

yep i was a poor kid that its all i could do was scrap up 5 or 10 or 20 dollors & hitch a ride to litchfield to get me a coondog. this was common practice all over the country.

NOW YOU KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT WHY YOU SEE OFF COLORED PUPS FROM TIME TO TIME !!

Old Post 07-26-2010 10:11 PM
roughcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roughcreek Click here to Send roughcreek a Private Message Find more posts by roughcreek Add roughcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bluedogman
UKC Forum Member

Hush man! We got live in a dream world you know!

Old Post 07-26-2010 10:26 PM
Bluedogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bluedogman Click here to Send Bluedogman a Private Message Find more posts by Bluedogman Add Bluedogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackbuck
UKC Forum Member

Does anyone know if Janet had the DNA test done on her pups? Very curious about what she found out.

Old Post 07-27-2010 02:01 AM
blackbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackbuck Find more posts by blackbuck Add blackbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Trone
UKC Forum Member

this is out of two redbones . pr dogs

H was born the same color as he is now

Old Post 08-28-2011 08:32 PM
Tim Trone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Trone Click here to Send Tim Trone a Private Message Find more posts by Tim Trone Add Tim Trone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WORMY#1
UKC Forum Member

years ago i remember my uncle use to tell me he had a red bitch an no matter what red male he bred her to she always threw atleast 1 b&t pup. i seen 1 in a litter he had, also new a fella that had a plott bitch that threw 2 pertty redbone pups. just makes you wonder what does your hound really go back to?????

Old Post 08-29-2011 12:12 AM
WORMY#1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WORMY#1 Click here to Send WORMY#1 a Private Message Click Here to Email WORMY#1 Find more posts by WORMY#1 Add WORMY#1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clhowe
New UKC Forum Member

my redbones gave birth to two black and tans

My full blooded redbones gave birth to 2 beautiful black and tans. Is this normal ?

Old Post 11-27-2013 04:57 AM
clhowe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for clhowe Click here to Send clhowe a Private Message Click Here to Email clhowe Find more posts by clhowe Add clhowe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thecoondawg76
UKC Forum Member

Re: my redbones gave birth to two black and tans

quote:
Originally posted by clhowe
My full blooded redbones gave birth to 2 beautiful black and tans. Is this normal ?

No especially if they are newborns. Often the old saddle shows up in young pups and then dissappears. However, if they have b&t markings past just the saddle they will likely keep the b&t color. Seen and heard this a good amount in heavy Timber Chopper and hence Famous Amos and ones close to this breeding. Heard all kinds of stuff why but what I can tell you is a bigger than usual amount have these hounds in common. Old timers will tell you the same.

And the closest ones alive to GrNtCh Oklahoma Twister (the #1 reproducing son of Fireball) and GrNtCh Yellow River Rocky (the #2 reproducing son of Fireball) . Thanks to alot of help from my friends.

Handler of:
NtCh GrCh "PR" Dan Langston (Has 2 wins towards GrNtCh in the hunts) ( 10yr old owner asked for me to bring him back to his home) (wouldn't sell) (Ch D8 Dozer (bear hound from all coondog stock, out of my breeding) x NtCh Music/ Kitty) (33% Fireball thru heavy line breeding the highest GrNtCh Fireball blooded hound alive, who is hunt titled )

Home of:
'PR' Atomic Fireball's Harry Lady (GrNtCh. Barnyard Horse Harry x GrCh Daisy (was the highest Fireball blooded female alive)

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Toes ('PR' Atomic Fireball's Fast Talker (nephew to Bookem Danno) x 'PR' Atomic Fireball's Harry Lady

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Little Dixie (NtCh GrCh. 'PR' Dan Langston x 'PR'Harry Lady)

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Two Toes (NtCh GrCh Dan Langston x Atomic Fireball's Toes
Didn't have the deep hunt style I like but is a solid coonhound. Been treeing her own since her second night in the woods at 8 months old.

Former home of:
(Qualified for the 2011 World Hunt) NtCh. 'PR'Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty RIP (NtCh.Twister's Musical Red Huey x NtCh. Sawblade Red Reckon) RIP

GrNtCh Fireball's Jackpot Jackie, highest placing Redbone female ever, in the UKC World Hunt . RIP

GrCh. 'PR' Atomic Fireball's Little Daisy RIP (Was the highest GrNtCh Fireball blooded female in the world at the time) (Qualified for the 2010 World Show).

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Red River (Daisy x Brown's Oklahoma Twister) RIP (heatstroke)

Ch. D-8 Dozer (Was the Highest blooded GrNtCh Fireball blooded male in the world until I had the GrNtCh Twister pups from here) Was sent to be bear hunted because of his size and me being disabled. RIP

First and only sons of the Old GrNtCh #7 Historical Reproducer Brown's Okl. Twister (the #1 Producing Son of Fireball) in 15 years..

http://atomicfireballkennels.webs.com/
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...threadid=341228
Steve Bell

Old Post 11-29-2013 04:46 AM
thecoondawg76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thecoondawg76 Click here to Send thecoondawg76 a Private Message Visit thecoondawg76's homepage! Find more posts by thecoondawg76 Add thecoondawg76 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clhowe
New UKC Forum Member

Thank you for your time. Right now the a very black and tan. But they're only 6 days old.

Old Post 11-29-2013 05:27 AM
clhowe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for clhowe Click here to Send clhowe a Private Message Click Here to Email clhowe Find more posts by clhowe Add clhowe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

My thoughts so far

Just what I have seen, read and heard so far, tells me this.
The real dark brown with black on the ears and tail, black markings in different areas etc.., usually turn into dark red dogs that will have some "acceptable" black on them.
The coal black ones with tan markings will be high tan black and tans for ever.
I have a litter now, with some that are red, some that are real dark red with black markings. I think they will all be fine. They are almost 3 weeks old and getting more red all the time. None of mine have any white on them anywhere. They are from PR dogs for many generations.
I've seen throw backs to the old days before, and I know others have too. It happens with Redbones. All Redbones go back to grade dogs years ago. In the early 1900's Blacktans and Redbones were called saddlebacks and from the saddlebacks they selectively bred to make the 2 breeds we have today. Also all up through the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's grade dogs were still common place and those were used to produce some of what we have today. Black is a dominant color, so its no wonder the black genes have been able to hang in there and pop up from time to time. I expect it will always show up especially with dark red being such a popular color with many folks. I figure if breeders keep breeding the real dark red ones, the black will be more likely to keep showing up.
Anyway that is what 25+ years of hunting redbones has taught me. I've learned there is no use in worrying about it.
With the new cross bred catagory over at $kc, there may be a place for those throw backs.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 11-30-2013 03:06 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Troy Arnold
UKC Forum Member

So if you breed two pr redbones and get a black and tan pup. Can you UKC register that pup as a redbone? Or as a BnT? Or not at all?

Redbones
CH Baptist Baxter
Baptist Bella

Old Post 11-30-2013 03:47 AM
Troy Arnold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Troy Arnold Click here to Send Troy Arnold a Private Message Click Here to Email Troy Arnold Find more posts by Troy Arnold Add Troy Arnold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RED REBELS
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tja51horns
So if you breed two pr redbones and get a black and tan pup. Can you UKC register that pup as a redbone? Or as a BnT? Or not at all?

I would say none at all as it doesn't meet breed standards but I guess you could register it as a Redbone... But it won't meet breed standards

Old Post 11-30-2013 09:46 AM
RED REBELS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RED REBELS Click here to Send RED REBELS a Private Message Find more posts by RED REBELS Add RED REBELS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clhowe
New UKC Forum Member

I read that they will only allow all red and red with some white on the chest and feet. But not the black and tans at all. I dont know how to put pics on here or I would post pics of my week old black and tan eedbones. They are beautiful.

Old Post 11-30-2013 10:08 AM
oklared
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by tja51horns

HE WOULD HAVE TO BE SINGLE REGESTERD IN WHAT EVER BREED STANDARD THAT HE MEETS

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 11-30-2013 01:13 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riffecreek
UKC Forum Member

Post i want one

I want a female pup... b&t colored redbone!! My daughter's teacher said she could have it DNA profiled..

And I want it for a project breeder..

Old Post 11-30-2013 01:24 PM
Riffecreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riffecreek Click here to Send Riffecreek a Private Message Click Here to Email Riffecreek Find more posts by Riffecreek Add Riffecreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
clhowe
New UKC Forum Member

I have a one week old female b&t female pup. She is not registered but both parents are 100% full blooded redbones.

Old Post 11-30-2013 01:39 PM
RedScorpion
UKC Forum Member

It occurs because of "recessive black." It doesn't necessarily have to come from a black and tan. The "recessive black" (in this case with a tan trim modifier) can come from any dog carrying this recessive. Pups are only black and tan (between two redbones) when BOTH parents carry the recessive gene. I have read that a certain redbone stud throws black and tans---can't happen because both parents must carry the recessive.

No big deal, it's just a color---just shows the breed has not been purged of unwanted recessives...hard to do when people are mixing in other breeds here and there. In this case it's easy because it's visual and the dog does not meet breed standards. Therefore it cannot be registered.

GOOGLE it and read for yourself.

Old Post 11-30-2013 02:24 PM
RedScorpion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedScorpion Click here to Send RedScorpion a Private Message Find more posts by RedScorpion Add RedScorpion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riffecreek
UKC Forum Member

exactly

But the question is what other qualities are carried by the recessive gene.. and what happens when you breed TO the recessive gene side with a male of the same breed that doesn't carry it.. also when and where did it come from.

We researched a breeding of partridge that threw albino offspring for 5 years.. there is something in my mind telling me they are something worth looking into!!

Old Post 11-30-2013 02:36 PM
Riffecreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riffecreek Click here to Send Riffecreek a Private Message Click Here to Email Riffecreek Find more posts by Riffecreek Add Riffecreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Talking Re: this is out of two redbones . pr dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Trone

H was born the same color as he is now

Proof is in the color I was wondering how those redbones could tree a coon. Ole Tennessee Lead put the walkers on the map, I wonder what BNT put the coon treeing ability into the redbones

319-201-8445

Old Post 12-01-2013 03:59 AM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thecoondawg76
UKC Forum Member

Seen all kinds of color variations in several coonhound breeds.

However, according to UKC unless they meet breed standards they can't be registered. It has nothing to do with DNA which is going to be right chances are. It has everything to do with appearance.
How many have seen a Chocolate color Bluetick with 3 gens of nothing but blue colored parents? It happens and often becuase there is some single parent male or female overlapping in both lines. Some are breed throw backs, some are old blood throwbacks, but it can even be a single parent overlapping throwback. What about those grey bones? Same sort of thing.

And the closest ones alive to GrNtCh Oklahoma Twister (the #1 reproducing son of Fireball) and GrNtCh Yellow River Rocky (the #2 reproducing son of Fireball) . Thanks to alot of help from my friends.

Handler of:
NtCh GrCh "PR" Dan Langston (Has 2 wins towards GrNtCh in the hunts) ( 10yr old owner asked for me to bring him back to his home) (wouldn't sell) (Ch D8 Dozer (bear hound from all coondog stock, out of my breeding) x NtCh Music/ Kitty) (33% Fireball thru heavy line breeding the highest GrNtCh Fireball blooded hound alive, who is hunt titled )

Home of:
'PR' Atomic Fireball's Harry Lady (GrNtCh. Barnyard Horse Harry x GrCh Daisy (was the highest Fireball blooded female alive)

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Toes ('PR' Atomic Fireball's Fast Talker (nephew to Bookem Danno) x 'PR' Atomic Fireball's Harry Lady

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Little Dixie (NtCh GrCh. 'PR' Dan Langston x 'PR'Harry Lady)

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Two Toes (NtCh GrCh Dan Langston x Atomic Fireball's Toes
Didn't have the deep hunt style I like but is a solid coonhound. Been treeing her own since her second night in the woods at 8 months old.

Former home of:
(Qualified for the 2011 World Hunt) NtCh. 'PR'Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty RIP (NtCh.Twister's Musical Red Huey x NtCh. Sawblade Red Reckon) RIP

GrNtCh Fireball's Jackpot Jackie, highest placing Redbone female ever, in the UKC World Hunt . RIP

GrCh. 'PR' Atomic Fireball's Little Daisy RIP (Was the highest GrNtCh Fireball blooded female in the world at the time) (Qualified for the 2010 World Show).

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Red River (Daisy x Brown's Oklahoma Twister) RIP (heatstroke)

Ch. D-8 Dozer (Was the Highest blooded GrNtCh Fireball blooded male in the world until I had the GrNtCh Twister pups from here) Was sent to be bear hunted because of his size and me being disabled. RIP

First and only sons of the Old GrNtCh #7 Historical Reproducer Brown's Okl. Twister (the #1 Producing Son of Fireball) in 15 years..

http://atomicfireballkennels.webs.com/
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...threadid=341228
Steve Bell

Old Post 12-02-2013 05:41 PM
thecoondawg76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thecoondawg76 Click here to Send thecoondawg76 a Private Message Visit thecoondawg76's homepage! Find more posts by thecoondawg76 Add thecoondawg76 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

THERE WERE SOME POPULAR BLACK AND TAN STUDS THAT WERE USED BY ONE OR TWO OR THREE BIG TIME RED BREEDERS THAT INJECTED SOME OF THE BLK INTO SOME REDS FOR WHAT EVER REASON ONLY THEY KNOW

THAT IS LIKE I READ ABOUT TIMBER CHOPPER BEING SUCH A DOMINATE REPRODUCER THAT GUYS BRED EVEN WALKERS TO HIM

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Last edited by oklared on 12-02-2013 at 06:49 PM

Old Post 12-02-2013 06:46 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote