UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Mr yadkinriver
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Dan, you are exactly right. Only half of the "enjoyment" comes after dark. I am getting a lot of enjoyment from watching some pups in my laundry room right now that are only 3 days old. One even has a name, Romeo, because he roams all over and I have to keep finding him and put him back in the pile. But with pups sometimes half of the aggravation comes before dark also.
And Mr Conkey, I tell someone almost weekly that you can't just go by the papers or genetics. You have to look at the dogs also. Just because a dog is nice or a great reproducer doesn't necessarily mean that their littermate or half brother/sister will be. Of course, they should be but oftentimes they are not.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 08-06-2019 at 03:27 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-06-2019 03:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Watching these pups also allow me to see at an early age. If they favor their Sire or Dam with their actions. Dogs all do things a little differently and us being human. What our dogs do we put a spin on it and find a way to like it. The Sire likes to wind things and comes into a lot of trees with his head up and will almost make you think he sees the coon in the tree. I noticed two pups this morning throwing their heads up just like their dad does. What will that mean a year from now. Probably nothing. But today it reminds me of a characteristic I like in the Sire. I will say that in what I see in the yard. These pups favor their Sire in actions slightly more than the Dam. They favor the Dam slightly more than the sire in their color pattern even though the sire is close the the same pattern. The one pup laying with its mom if you notice has almost the exact same color pattern down to how it is shaped on her side. Again color means nothing to me unless it has a lot of mud on it from being in the swamps. But while sitting around the house waiting to hit the swamps. A lot of things can be noticed and enjoyed.

Old Post 08-06-2019 04:42 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

I am allot like Bruce in watching the pups, and seeing what traits come from the sire or dam, and if you know the parents good enough you can tell who marked who.
I know longer have to go outside my own breeding unless i want to, so i am able to only add traits that i like
Also being able to let them run loose in a wooded environment absolutely does wonders!
We have a litter that is about a yr old and are spread out in a couple states and when the men give me updates i can tell who marked their pup, that helps me in breeding.
Having smarts to me is #1 thing i look for in a pup.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 08-06-2019 08:56 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
You guys who have raised several litters, do you find that there are certain things you see in your pups before they're started that provide indicators that they have a good chance of being special that helps you choose what you want to keep?

I have heard and read where some who have raised several litters say they simply wait until all but one are sold and they keep that one! Nothing to scientific 'bout that method I guess!😆

I will never be one of those that keeps the last even if it were hard to tell them apart...the reason to breed my own is so I can test and watch them daily...
The pup that finds the most tidbits at 10 weeks usually strikes faster at ten months...and the one that leads the pack at ten weeks leads the pack at ten months...
We have talked on here before...every once in a while there is a pup that has that certain air about them...most the time the pups are relaxed and laid back type of personality...these usually test better and sometimes become average dogs...
They are usually laid back until it is time to go to work...

Old Post 08-07-2019 03:24 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote