UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Let's see a show of hands please.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

Let's see a show of hands please.

I know there are a lot of hardcore coon hunters on this site and we all know there are a ton of know it all's when it comes to training a dog, handling a dog, knowing what a "real coon dog" is. There are also people on here that believe it doesn't take a special dog to make it to the final cast of a world hunt. Shoot, apparently even me too dogs and slick treeing idiots can make it and even win it.

So lets see a show of hands from all you guys that have made it into the final cast of a world hunt (in any kennel club). To make it easier and so more people can raise their hand we can even include the big hunts like Autumn Oaks, etc.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-24-2013 09:35 PM
perry co cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry co cooner Click here to Send perry co cooner a Private Message Find more posts by perry co cooner Add perry co cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Al, you seem to think you can't know what it takes to get there if you haven't been there. Sorry, but I don't see it that way.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 09-24-2013 10:04 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

I'm not really saying that Jim at least I don't think. There are and were plenty of great hounds that for one reason or another didn't advance that far or maybe were never even entered in a hunt. But for guys (not you in particular) to say the dogs that do make it that far aren't anything special is just absurd. They are special and although we all agree luck plays a big part it will only take you so far.

I'm by NO MEANS saying dogs that make it to the final cast of a world hunt are perfect just so there's no confusion.

Old Post 09-24-2013 10:57 PM
perry co cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry co cooner Click here to Send perry co cooner a Private Message Find more posts by perry co cooner Add perry co cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

Just imagine if you or maybe even a good friend of your put in the work and got a few breaks and was lucky enough to advance to the final cast of a world hunt maybe even win the hunt and then get on here and read posts that your dog is a me too dog or a slick treeing dog. To me it would be a kick in the teeth ESPECIALLY from someone that's never been there themselves nor ever hunted with your dog.

I'll say this, the "experts" on this board sure can learn a lot about a cast and the dogs by reading a play by play.

Old Post 09-24-2013 11:20 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Jim I think he's talking about the bashers. I also think in some of their minds they really believe they could beat most dogs out there today. Then they say they don't comp hunt. Yet they down a dog that's made the final of the world hunt. I say they Prolly couldn't win a buddy hunt at my coon club

Old Post 09-24-2013 11:21 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
Jim I think he's talking about the bashers. I also think in some of their minds they really believe they could beat most dogs out there today. Then they say they don't comp hunt. Yet they down a dog that's made the final of the world hunt. I say they Prolly couldn't win a buddy hunt at my coon club

GA DAWG that's about exactly what I was saying. Whether they comp hunt or just pleasure hunt makes no difference. I say give a man and his dog credit where credit is due. This post was directed at a select few, Jim wasn't one of them lol

Old Post 09-24-2013 11:34 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG

I'm sure you are right. There are several posters on here that I skip past and never read so I guess I forget that stuff is out there.

I have always said that unless you have a very thick skin, you better not go anywhere near this place.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 09-24-2013 11:35 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Put any 10 hunters togeather and ask for their definition of a "real coondog" and you will get a description of 10 different dogs, and about 8 of those definitions wont be of a dog that is well suited to the competition format.
Most hunters claim to want an honest strike dog, but in the real world those dogs are usually strikeing for 50 or a quarter. I hear all the time about these 90% accurate dogs that everyone claims to have, but along with accurate comes slow to lock down and that doesnt get it done in the hunts.
Are the world champion dogs special? you bet they are, they are dogs that have the skills required to win with the scorecard we use.

Old Post 09-24-2013 11:37 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
Put any 10 hunters togeather and ask for their definition of a "real coondog" and you will get a description of 10 different dogs, and about 8 of those definitions wont be of a dog that is well suited to the competition format.
Most hunters claim to want an honest strike dog, but in the real world those dogs are usually strikeing for 50 or a quarter. I hear all the time about these 90% accurate dogs that everyone claims to have, but along with accurate comes slow to lock down and that doesnt get it done in the hunts.
Are the world champion dogs special? you bet they are, they are dogs that have the skills required to win with the scorecard we use.

Very well said Sir!

Old Post 09-24-2013 11:51 PM
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

So which are you Al?A hardcore hunter or a know it all? Last I checked we are all intitled to an opinion on here.We all watch the play by play to see how the dogs that rose to the top perform.Some are impressed and some are not.I think they must be above average to make it that far but unless I see it with my own eyes I won't say.

Old Post 09-25-2013 12:00 AM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Al,

First off, I'm no expert on what it takes to win a world hunt. In reality I'm a pleasure hunter that goes to a competition hunt when I have one that I think will win. Have not been going to competition hunts very often for a while, if for no other reason that I simply have not had the time or the inclination to go.

However, over the course of the past 30+ years of hunting and going to competition hunts I have indeed hunted with many, many World Champions...not in just competition hunts, but on week night hunts and just out pleasure hunting. I've hunted with some really "well known" stud dogs. I've huntd with dogs that won the Winter Classic, dogs that have won the Grand American,Autumn Oaks, and multiple super stakes, have judged world hunts, nationals, state PKC races etc, etc, etc. Personally, I've not made it a habit to enter in many of the hunts that I have mentioned, but have had a dog in the final four of a large national hunt from another registry several years ago.

I've hunted with, and judged some awful nice dogs in all of those "winners", and I've hunted with some that I probably would not dump feed too for more than a few days before they went to live with someone else. So I'm not sure that given your first post, I am qualified to even comment your post, let alone "raise my hand".

What I have observed in my travels and after hunting with multiple different "big winners" is this....

Everyone thinks they want the kind of dog that will win "the big one". However, most people don't have a clue what it REALLY takes, and even fewer are prepared to do the work that is required to prepare to get to the big show. The dogs that I've seen that were constantly in the winners circle were not "super dogs". The did not have super powers like X Ray vision or some kind of ESP that allowed them to locate coon by just "knowing" where they are at. What they did have in common was that they were consistent. They did the same thing each time they were turned loose.. Most were not overly loud, and many of them were not overpowering tree dogs. Each and every one of them were the type of dog that had one thing, and one thing only on their mind...getting under a coon. Notice that I did not say getting treed....I said getting under a coon. Most had no concern for what another dog was doing.....they were not independent to a fault, but seldom would they take second tree to another dog more than once in a cast or on a Wednesday night pleasure hunt.

Every one of them had one thing in common though...when they won, they won in conditions that suited them the best. For example, if they won in thin coon, chances are that they were not outstanding dogs in thick coon populations. If they won in thick coon populations, they didn't look as well if they had to cover lots of ground to even find a coon.

The bottom line is that I am not qualified to choose what anybody else but me wants to follow or feed. If you like "slick treeing me too" dogs, and you can do well with those.....have at it.... There are indeed dogs that I've seen win by covering everything that barked at a tree without regard to what was in the tree....then by slipping off and actually treeing one on their own. I've seen dogs win by never taking "risk" and thinking on their own. I don't have any way of knowing what this years UKC World Champion is...never hunted with him and wasn't on the cast.....

Old Post 09-25-2013 12:36 AM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer

Are the world champion dogs special? you bet they are, they are dogs that have the skills required to win with the scorecard we use. [/B]

you are right here sir. most of the people that are calling these winners slick treeing dogs and ME TOO dogs do not know what a true compation dog is, they think they do, you look at all the winning these dogs have done in the past.
they talk about me too dogs i gess they think a dog should not cover another dog, well it was said the John dog was me tooing, and a person said he would be alone under a coon and he did that,
i give congrats to the winners, no mater what there dogs did, at least it was done fair. and i don't even like that breed ( not cutting anyone down for what they hunt ) it is just not my choose of breed BUT THEY ROCKED THIS PAST WEEKEND.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 09-25-2013 12:53 AM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jackson87
So which are you Al?A hardcore hunter or a know it all? Last I checked we are all intitled to an opinion on here.We all watch the play by play to see how the dogs that rose to the top perform.Some are impressed and some are not.I think they must be above average to make it that far but unless I see it with my own eyes I won't say.

I'm neither and if you'll read my post I said there are a lot of both not that everyone is one or the other. Maybe you'll be invited to go on a hunt with the world champ or a past champ some day. Doubtful but you never know.

Old Post 09-25-2013 02:01 AM
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by buck brush
you are right here sir. most of the people that are calling these winners slick treeing dogs and ME TOO dogs do not know what a true compation dog is, they think they do, you look at all the winning these dogs have done in the past.
they talk about me too dogs i gess they think a dog should not cover another dog, well it was said the John dog was me tooing, and a person said he would be alone under a coon and he did that,
i give congrats to the winners, no mater what there dogs did, at least it was done fair. and i don't even like that breed ( not cutting anyone down for what they hunt ) it is just not my choose of breed BUT THEY ROCKED THIS PAST WEEKEND.

Very good post.

Old Post 09-25-2013 02:07 AM
Grant Noeske
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
The dogs that I've seen that were constantly in the winners circle were not "super dogs". The did not have super powers like X Ray vision or some kind of ESP that allowed them to locate coon by just "knowing" where they are at. What they did have in common was that they were consistent. They did the same thing each time they were turned loose.. Most were not overly loud, and many of them were not overpowering tree dogs. Each and every one of them were the type of dog that had one thing, and one thing only on their mind...getting under a coon. Notice that I did not say getting treed....I said getting under a coon. Most had no concern for what another dog was doing.....they were not independent to a fault, but seldom would they take second tree to another dog more than once in a cast or on a Wednesday night pleasure hunt.

Amen.

Old Post 09-25-2013 02:26 AM
Grant Noeske is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grant Noeske Click here to Send Grant Noeske a Private Message Visit Grant Noeske's homepage! Find more posts by Grant Noeske Add Grant Noeske to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

I read your post a couple times.Just figured I ask where you stood in this mix up.I don't ever plan on seeing a world champ go but I'm always ready and waiting to be impressed with some dog power.I like seeing good dog work no matter the breed or who owns it.Ill never forget the first compitition hunt I spectated.I was speachless and curious as to what all them dogs were running....Sure didnt see no coons in 2 them hours

Old Post 09-25-2013 02:28 AM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
Al,

First off, I'm no expert on what it takes to win a world hunt. In reality I'm a pleasure hunter that goes to a competition hunt when I have one that I think will win. Have not been going to competition hunts very often for a while, if for no other reason that I simply have not had the time or the inclination to go.

However, over the course of the past 30+ years of hunting and going to competition hunts I have indeed hunted with many, many World Champions...not in just competition hunts, but on week night hunts and just out pleasure hunting. I've hunted with some really "well known" stud dogs. I've huntd with dogs that won the Winter Classic, dogs that have won the Grand American,Autumn Oaks, and multiple super stakes, have judged world hunts, nationals, state PKC races etc, etc, etc. Personally, I've not made it a habit to enter in many of the hunts that I have mentioned, but have had a dog in the final four of a large national hunt from another registry several years ago.

I've hunted with, and judged some awful nice dogs in all of those "winners", and I've hunted with some that I probably would not dump feed too for more than a few days before they went to live with someone else. So I'm not sure that given your first post, I am qualified to even comment your post, let alone "raise my hand".

What I have observed in my travels and after hunting with multiple different "big winners" is this....

Everyone thinks they want the kind of dog that will win "the big one". However, most people don't have a clue what it REALLY takes, and even fewer are prepared to do the work that is required to prepare to get to the big show. The dogs that I've seen that were constantly in the winners circle were not "super dogs". The did not have super powers like X Ray vision or some kind of ESP that allowed them to locate coon by just "knowing" where they are at. What they did have in common was that they were consistent. They did the same thing each time they were turned loose.. Most were not overly loud, and many of them were not overpowering tree dogs. Each and every one of them were the type of dog that had one thing, and one thing only on their mind...getting under a coon. Notice that I did not say getting treed....I said getting under a coon. Most had no concern for what another dog was doing.....they were not independent to a fault, but seldom would they take second tree to another dog more than once in a cast or on a Wednesday night pleasure hunt.

Every one of them had one thing in common though...when they won, they won in conditions that suited them the best. For example, if they won in thin coon, chances are that they were not outstanding dogs in thick coon populations. If they won in thick coon populations, they didn't look as well if they had to cover lots of ground to even find a coon.

The bottom line is that I am not qualified to choose what anybody else but me wants to follow or feed. If you like "slick treeing me too" dogs, and you can do well with those.....have at it.... There are indeed dogs that I've seen win by covering everything that barked at a tree without regard to what was in the tree....then by slipping off and actually treeing one on their own. I've seen dogs win by never taking "risk" and thinking on their own. I don't have any way of knowing what this years UKC World Champion is...never hunted with him and wasn't on the cast.....

Joe- the only thing on your post from the other thread that I disagreed with was where you said "the winner of a world hunt only means that they simply won 5 casts in a row.........THAT'S ALL". I'm paraphrasing of course. Winning 5 casts in a row anywhere is an accomplishment to be proud of and I'm certainly not taking anything away from it. Winning 5 casts in a row on the biggest stage in coon hunting, in my opinion is something entirely different.

I've never hunted with a world champ and I'm sure I never will. My post simply asked for those that have "been there" stand and be recognized or "raise their hand" so to speak.

Out of the hundreds of members on this message board there's only a handful that can say "I've been there and done that".

I could care less if the hunt is in thick coons, thin coons, north or south. I don't really care what kind of hunting style a dog has. Any dog that wins or has won a world hunt or made it to the final cast is a special dog as very, very few accomplish this feat. My hats off to all the guys and their dogs that make it to the end. I'm confident they worked hard to get there and deserved to be there.

Last edited by perry co cooner on 09-25-2013 at 03:13 AM

Old Post 09-25-2013 02:34 AM
odg
UKC Forum Member

it takes a lot of hard work to push a dog in the big hunts it takes a realy good dog to stay in the top consitlently there is a reason some names pop up more because thay got a coondog and know what to do with it

Old Post 09-25-2013 02:48 AM
odg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for odg Click here to Send odg a Private Message Click Here to Email odg Find more posts by odg Add odg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by odg
it takes a lot of hard work to push a dog in the big hunts it takes a realy good dog to stay in the top consitlently there is a reason some names pop up more because thay got a coondog and know what to do with it

Agreed!

Old Post 09-25-2013 02:58 AM
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jackson87
I read your post a couple times.Just figured I ask where you stood in this mix up.I don't ever plan on seeing a world champ go but I'm always ready and waiting to be impressed with some dog power.I like seeing good dog work no matter the breed or who owns it.Ill never forget the first compitition hunt I spectated.I was speachless and curious as to what all them dogs were running....Sure didnt see no coons in 2 them hours

Interesting you mention your first nite hunt you were a spectator on. My first experience was similar. I remember years ago the first time I hunted with a GrNtCh too (just on a pleasure hunt not comp hunt) I was never so disappointed in my life! Prior to that night I thought any dog that made GrNtCh just had to be something special. My eyes got opened that night to say the least.

Since then I've learned not to worry about what others hunt. If they're happy with their dogs then I'm happy for them. I've always appreciated hunting with a good dog and I to don't care much what breed or line it is. I've hunted with some real good dogs and some real bad dogs. Met some great guys and some that weren't so great lol.

Old Post 09-25-2013 03:11 AM
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by perry co cooner
Joe- the only thing on your post from the other thread that I disagreed with was where you said "the winner of a world hunt only means that they simply won 5 casts in a row.........THAT'S ALL". I'm paraphrasing of course. Winning 5 casts in a row anywhere is an accomplishment to be proud of and I'm certainly not taking anything away from it. Winning 5 casts in a row on the biggest stage in coon hunting, in my opinion is something entirely different.

I've never hunted with a world champ and I'm sure I never will. My post simply asked for those that have "been there" stand and be recognized or "raise their hand" so to speak.

Out of the hundreds of members on this message board there's only a handful that can say "I've been there and done that".

I could care less if the hunt is in thick coons, thin coons, north or south. I don't really care what kind of hunting style a dog has. Any dog that wins or has won a world hunt or made it to the final cast is a special dog as very, very few accomplish this feat. My hats off to all the guys and their dogs that make it to the end. I'm confident they worked hard to get there and deserved to be there.

But Al, that is exactly my point. Yes, the dog competed and won 5 casts (actually it isn't 5 in a row)...they won on Thursday night in either a three or four dog cast, then went out alone and treed a coon. Then won on Friday night, then again on Saturday night. So in reality they won three casts in a row with a HTX hunt in the middle!

So if I told you that I know of a little female that went to a UKC state hunt, and won a registered 1st place on Friday night in the first cast she had ever hunted in, then went back on Saturday night and won 1st place registered again, then the following weekend went to an RQE and won her cast again, placing second overall in the RQE and finishing to NT CH in three hunts and earning 150 points in the Purina race...then went to the Zones, got a cast win on Friday night, but lost on Saturday night and didn't advance, how can you say that this little female isn't as impressive a dog as the dog that won the World Hunt?

The fact is....you can't, and neither can I. I know that she has been in five sanctioned hunts and won her cast in four of them. As it stands right now, she is an 80% cast winner.....which on paper is about as impressive at it gets for me. What happened the fifth night????? No clue. Wheels may have fallen off of her, may have drawn a crappy guide and they just didn't get a coon treed, may have had bad weather, may have drawn a better dog...we just don't know.

That doesn't take anything away from this years winner. I am not saying it is not an accomplishment to win a world hunt. It is....but I am saying that having the title of WLDNTCH does NOT indicate anything to me other than the dog won the title. It does not tell me what type of dog it is, nor does it indicate to me the value of that dog.

Give me an 80% cast winning 2 year old over a dog that made second tree on several circle trees then with moments to spare in a two hour hunt finally gets off and trees a coon ANY day!

You yourself posted that you were less than impressed with the first Grand Night you hunted with. That is more than likely because you were star-struck by the title.....same goes with WLDNTCH....it is a title that simply means the dog accomplished it, and does nothing to describe the dog or it's abilities! I know of one other World Champion in another registry that won by simply taking last tree on the possum. Still owns the title regardless of "how" they won it!

Last edited by Oak Ridge on 09-25-2013 at 04:07 AM

Old Post 09-25-2013 04:02 AM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

Back to the post I have been to the top 100 three times Final 4 once and I agree with Oak the dog must be nice but Consistance is the biggest thing and then comes dum luck! After all the countless hrs. of prep. it just take some breaks to go your way. The harder you go after it the better your luck (most of the time)

Old Post 09-25-2013 04:12 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

Joe- some where you and I got our wires crossed I never said I think that a dog that wins a world hunt is the best dog in the world nor do I think it is the most valuable dog in the world nor a more impressive dog than the little female you described. I'm simply saying its a special dog and accomplished an awesome feat that many try for but few achieve.

How would you feel if say your cube dog won the world hunt under the same circumstances and then you read on here people saying he's a slick treeing me too dog. I seriously doubt you'd be real happy about it.

I'm not defending the John dog, heck I never even heard of him before this and I certainly never hunted with him but its just not right for people to say that crap about him.

For this year, in this area and on those nights in those conditions he pulled it out. Every dog that hunted in the world hunt had the same chances. I thought it interesting that one poster (I can't recall who) that apparently hunts with this dog kept saying he'll get alone with the meat before its over........and low and behold he did.

Last edited by perry co cooner on 09-25-2013 at 09:10 PM

Old Post 09-25-2013 11:00 AM
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark V.
Back to the post I have been to the top 100 three times Final 4 once and I agree with Oak the dog must be nice but Consistance is the biggest thing and then comes dum luck! After all the countless hrs. of prep. it just take some breaks to go your way. The harder you go after it the better your luck (most of the time)

Do you still have the old girl Mark? I don't know if you remember talking to me on the phone as its been several years ago. I own a littermate female to your Sadie dog. She turned 12 this July but I still hunt her a time or two a month lol.

Old Post 09-25-2013 11:04 AM
perry co cooner
UKC Forum Member

Here's a post from another thread concerning the world finals

I don't usually take part in back and forth postings. But, much has been said in question of the quality of hunting and performance in this years final cast. I would like to share some information to help paint a true picture for experienced coonhunters to base their judgements on. The first two trees were no less than 30 foot cedar trees surrounded by like trees, leaving very little openings for clear view from top to bottom, the third tree was not just one hedge apple but three completely encompassed with grape vines. The fourth tree was a monster oak in the middle of thick woods. I have found these to be the preferred trees on nights when the moon id full and you can read a newspaper without a light, as it was during the final cast. The guide successfully placed the cast in a place where coons were present and moving. The hounds did an excellent track in moving and treeing coon. As for the use of third round results to base the coon population on, keep in mind in rained more than 2 inches in the first 6 hours of that rounds hunting time. Note that the crowned world champion treed a coon and was plussed during the heaviest of this rain.

Old Post 09-25-2013 09:08 PM