UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > When you read "Takes His Tracks as they Come.
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Max LeBleu
UKC Forum Member

This is a dog that will strike on a cold track and move it in the right direction. When that track crosses a hotter track he jumps to the hotter track. You score that tree and cut back loose and he picks up the older track again until he runs across another hot track or put that one up. This is what I call "Takes His Tracks As They Come".

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-14-2019 04:37 PM
Max LeBleu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Max LeBleu Click here to Send Max LeBleu a Private Message Click Here to Email Max LeBleu Find more posts by Max LeBleu Add Max LeBleu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

As others have stated, my understanding of that statement has always been a hound that works the first coon track it comes across......that it can smell strong enough to open on. I'm not convinced that any hound makes a conscious decision to select or not select the coon track it will run. I actually think it's much simpler than that. I think it's all related to nose. When a cold nosed dog comes across a cold track it will open on it according to the strength of scent it receives. If in the process it comes upon a hotter track it will most definitely take it. A hot nose dog doesn't know that a cold track exists.

To me the rub always is what does any dog do with the track "as it comes"......be it hot or cold? Really good track dogs are not near as plentiful as many might believe. There is not much more disheartening than to be all puffed up about how good a track dog you think you have only to have another be dropped with yours and show you what a really good track dog truly looks like! Been there!

Old Post 02-15-2019 04:01 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

DL NH there is at lot of truth in your second paragraph and also in my opinion brings out an ugly side to what we do. When many see that really good honest strike dog or really good track dog or good layup dog. It is not WOW that dog done a good job. It is that dog is babbling or running junk and fell off treed. People invent all kind of things in their mind when their dog comes up against one with more ability.

Old Post 02-15-2019 12:28 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

There used to be a lot of good track dogs and hunters were proud of them. Now there are a lot of good tree dogs. Now nobody wants a track dog because that takes too much time.

Old Post 02-15-2019 02:45 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
There used to be a lot of good track dogs and hunters were proud of them. Now there are a lot of good tree dogs. Now nobody wants a track dog because that takes too much time.

Seems to me that type of dog wins competition hunts where coons are plentiful...and the winners get bred...

Old Post 02-16-2019 12:41 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

One of my old coon hunting buddies who now lives in East TN had one of the nicest pleasure dogs I've ever been to the woods with. Nt Ch Robinsons Blue Drum was a son of Vaughns Mack II and Fly's Bugle Ann. She was by Vaughn's Blue Buck and Dub's Blue Fly. Drum like his ancestors , was a cold nosed track dog that could finish 95% of the tracks he struck. Not sure how many people out there now like to here a dog work up a track from a bark or 2 every 2-3 mins into a flat running track and then slam the tree. He wasn't flashy, but steady as a rock and moved the track according to conditions. He had a mouth that would make anyone who loves to here a trailing dog run grin from ear to ear. He had some faults yet inability to work up an old track and have the coon at the end was not one of them.

I have a sense that like many things in life, many coon hunters today have not the patience or the time to enjoy listening to this type of track dog anymore. Hence the lack of them! I've always wanted a good tree dog but I want to hear that sweet old music of a hound working up an old track into a running one and then that moment of silence that precipitates the rhythmic tree song telling the world the race has ended!

I'll take 1 or 2 quality long runs that end with treed game over half a dozen or more pop ups any night! Am I the only one left of that breed?

Old Post 02-16-2019 03:48 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

No you're not, you described the perfect hunt for me!

Old Post 02-16-2019 02:38 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Good Trackdogs or Outstanding Trackdogs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard Lambert
There used to be a lot of good track dogs and hunters were proud of them. Now there are a lot of good tree dogs. Now nobody wants a track dog because that takes too much time. [/QUOTE

What I've observed over the years it that Outstanding COLD nosed, honest opening dogs are definitely not slow.

They open on tracks other dogs can't smell. Often in a nite hunt while leading back to the trucks will strike numerous tracks that the other dogs don't know are there.

They will not switch tracks. Have seen in the snow there the cold track they were trailing crossed a hot track that other dogs switched to and the outstanding trackdog would check it and go back and finish the cold track they were on. A outstanding track dog already knows there the next track is after treeing a coon and will go tree coon tracks that they crossed while tracking the first coon. Snow tells the story! A lot of the long corn field and cutover timber races are the result of dogs switching tracks instead of staying on a single coon. Outstanding track dog can count coon and can distinguish one coon from another.

I've kept track from strike to tree on 50 coon tracks and outstanding cold trackdogs average less than 10 minutes per coon.

Slow track dogs are just poor track dogs. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Ken Risley

Old Post 02-16-2019 03:03 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Good Trackdogs or Outstanding Trackdogs

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard Lambert
There used to be a lot of good track dogs and hunters were proud of them. Now there are a lot of good tree dogs. Now nobody wants a track dog because that takes too much time. [/QUOTE

What I've observed over the years it that Outstanding COLD nosed, honest opening dogs are definitely not slow.

They open on tracks other dogs can't smell. Often in a nite hunt while leading back to the trucks will strike numerous tracks that the other dogs don't know are there.

They will not switch tracks. Have seen in the snow there the cold track they were trailing crossed a hot track that other dogs switched to and the outstanding trackdog would check it and go back and finish the cold track they were on. A outstanding track dog already knows there the next track is after treeing a coon and will go tree coon tracks that they crossed while tracking the first coon. Snow tells the story! A lot of the long corn field and cutover timber races are the result of dogs switching tracks instead of staying on a single coon. Outstanding track dog can count coon and can distinguish one coon from another.

I've kept track from strike to tree on 50 coon tracks and outstanding cold trackdogs average less than 10 minutes per coon.

Slow track dogs are just poor track dogs. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Ken Risley

Old Post 02-16-2019 03:03 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
One of my old coon hunting buddies who now lives in East TN had one of the nicest pleasure dogs I've ever been to the woods with. Nt Ch Robinsons Blue Drum was a son of Vaughns Mack II and Fly's Bugle Ann. She was by Vaughn's Blue Buck and Dub's Blue Fly. Drum like his ancestors , was a cold nosed track dog that could finish 95% of the tracks he struck. Not sure how many people out there now like to here a dog work up a track from a bark or 2 every 2-3 mins into a flat running track and then slam the tree. He wasn't flashy, but steady as a rock and moved the track according to conditions. He had a mouth that would make anyone who loves to here a trailing dog run grin from ear to ear. He had some faults yet inability to work up an old track and have the coon at the end was not one of them.

I have a sense that like many things in life, many coon hunters today have not the patience or the time to enjoy listening to this type of track dog anymore. Hence the lack of them! I've always wanted a good tree dog but I want to hear that sweet old music of a hound working up an old track into a running one and then that moment of silence that precipitates the rhythmic tree song telling the world the race has ended!

I'll take 1 or 2 quality long runs that end with treed game over half a dozen or more pop ups any night! Am I the only one left of that breed?

Totally agree

Old Post 02-16-2019 04:19 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

How many of you when you started watching your garmin noticed your hound on a bad track your hound might rework a small section of the track and kind of beat it to death. One thing I cant stand. How do you guys handle this.

Old Post 02-16-2019 05:00 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
How many of you when you started watching your garmin noticed your hound on a bad track your hound might rework a small section of the track and kind of beat it to death. One thing I cant stand. How do you guys handle this.

Stop looking at the Garmin... They did it before when they wore the beep beep collar we just didn't know it.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 02-16-2019 05:06 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
Stop looking at the Garmin... They did it before when they wore the beep beep collar we just didn't know it.

X2 I found out most dogs spend more time in a small spot than I would ever have believed. Looking at the Garmin can ruin your hunt. I'm trying to just use it to find my dog more now and not track his every movement. I actually use it more to see how he is hunting before he strikes.

Old Post 02-16-2019 05:59 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
...How do you guys handle this.

The same way I handle everything else. I zap em. Alpha has completely changed my hunting. I don't have to go to them now, I can reach out and give them a switching and send them on. If they are going too slow you zap them and if they are going too fast you zap them.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 02-16-2019 at 07:41 PM

Old Post 02-16-2019 07:38 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
One of my old coon hunting buddies who now lives in East TN had one of the nicest pleasure dogs I've ever been to the woods with. Nt Ch Robinsons Blue Drum was a son of Vaughns Mack II and Fly's Bugle Ann. She was by Vaughn's Blue Buck and Dub's Blue Fly. Drum like his ancestors , was a cold nosed track dog that could finish 95% of the tracks he struck.

R. Dana Robinson

Corresponded with him via written letters in the late eighties. He had a son of Drum named Gunner that made a decent hound from what I remember.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 02-17-2019 12:39 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Vic Stoll
R. Dana Robinson

Corresponded with him via written letters in the late eighties. He had a son of Drum named Gunner that made a decent hound from what I remember.

Yes sir! We hunted every Friday night for years. Ran a ton with Gunner and my old Bugle dog. Treed a bunch of coon with those 2 dogs. Drum was a better dog than both those 2 in my book. Don't believe I've ever seen another work up an old track into a running track with the skill he had in doing so.

Last edited by DL NH on 02-17-2019 at 02:22 AM

Old Post 02-17-2019 01:35 AM