UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hearing impaired
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Hearing impaired

I wear hearing aids. Not deaf but they improve my hearing about 50%. Problem is they cost like $5000. I am afraid to wear them when I hunt as I might loose one. Makes it hard to hear my dog very far. My question is "Has anyone tried some of the more affordable hearing aids just for hunting?" I'm thinking something in the range of $600 for a pair. Thanks for any input.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-23-2019 08:00 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curt messmer
UKC Forum Member

btt

try a hair net Tom

Old Post 05-23-2019 08:04 PM
curt messmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curt messmer Click here to Send curt messmer a Private Message Click Here to Email curt messmer Find more posts by curt messmer Add curt messmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Curt that's a good idea. Might look a little squirrely but hey I don't look too good anyway.

Old Post 05-23-2019 09:00 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

My hunting buddy had the same problem. He bought a funnel that you use to put transmission fluid in your car. It worked fine for him. He is gone now but I will always remember him standing on the side of the road with that funnel stuck up to his ear.

Old Post 05-23-2019 09:39 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Freeman
UKC Forum Member

I have covers for my hearing aids to keep sweat off on them that attach to the shirt collar.I have worn hearing aids since 1997 and have been fortunate that they have always stayed in my ear . I carry an extra pair with me as mine shut down if they get wet due to sweat and no hair to filter it.I did think i lost the spare set at B and T days this year but found them in truck a couple of weeks later,They help hearing the hounds but still at a disadvantage when they get deep or its windy.

Old Post 05-23-2019 10:53 PM
Freeman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Freeman Click here to Send Freeman a Private Message Find more posts by Freeman Add Freeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I know this a little late, but I went to costco bought hear aids for 2200.00 that others wanted 5000.00. If anyone else needs hearing aids check them out before buying.

Old Post 05-23-2019 11:26 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Burns
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hearing impaired

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I wear hearing aids. Not deaf but they improve my hearing about 50%. Problem is they cost like $5000. I am afraid to wear them when I hunt as I might loose one. Makes it hard to hear my dog very far. My question is "Has anyone tried some of the more affordable hearing aids just for hunting?" I'm thinking something in the range of $600 for a pair. Thanks for any input.

I see some advertised on TV, 2 for $ 600.00 and I believe they offer a return policy if not satisfied. (Fox news).

Old Post 05-24-2019 12:40 AM
John Burns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Burns Click here to Send John Burns a Private Message Click Here to Email John Burns Find more posts by John Burns Add John Burns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

Hearing Aids

Ive tried them all $5000, $300, 600. I have bought a set from Hear Gift Hearing Aid, $ 175.00 they are very small they fit down in side the hearing canel of the ear Impossible for them to fall out they are hearing aids not amplifiers , They are the Cats Meow , The best money that ive ever spent , comes with a 60 day trial if not satisfied just return ! Type in hear Gift Hearing Aids and read about them don't let the cheap price fool you there worth everycent , They work for me . Have a Blessed One If you try them I hope they work for you .,

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 05-24-2019 02:49 AM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Are these hearing aids what’s your talking about?

If they are I will probably buy one for starters...

https://heargift.com/products/hearg...product-reviews

Old Post 05-24-2019 05:47 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Riverbottom Ron. I will have to try these.

Old Post 05-24-2019 06:36 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Riverbottom Ron, I have ordered a pair. Will let you know how they work for me.

Old Post 05-24-2019 09:18 PM
Jim Lewis Clark
UKC Forum Member

Hearing aids

Just wandering if you can shoot your rifle or shot gun with them in. Will it hurt them? Think I will try a pair, I don't hear as good as I used to. Thanks

Old Post 05-27-2019 11:12 PM
Jim Lewis Clark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Lewis Clark Click here to Send Jim Lewis Clark a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Lewis Clark Find more posts by Jim Lewis Clark Add Jim Lewis Clark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Jim Lewis Clark, the ones I ordered say that they shut out loud noises like firing a gun. We will see when I get them.

Old Post 05-27-2019 11:18 PM
Mike Reynolds
UKC Forum Member

Let us know how they work. My 12yr old son has to wear hearing aids. He was born with approx 70% of his hearing. We have bought the $4k plus hearing aids which do help but are bulky and when he plays sports rub and hurt his ears. Plus always the risk of damaging them. These small ones may be the trick.

We bought him some of the Big Game Ear headphones for deer and turkey hunting which amplify sound but cut out anything over a set decimal such as gunfire. They work real well for hunting and target shooting.

Hope these work out for you.

Old Post 05-28-2019 01:58 AM
Mike Reynolds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Reynolds Click here to Send Mike Reynolds a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Reynolds Find more posts by Mike Reynolds Add Mike Reynolds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Shelton
UKC Forum Member

Been trying to get my ears back for years, my Grandson hunts in the hunts for me. I have learned a thing or two about hearing aids and amplifier's.

Amplifier's, you can hear everything, a lot of times to much of everything and can't hear your dog. When you get them the volume tuned so you can hear your dog, you will not know what direction they are, you have to have directional mics or go to them with the Garmin.

I have $7000 dollar hearing aids, they automatically change for your environment, great for most situations , not for hunting. The higher priced the aids are, usually the more or refined noise compression, which eliminates background noise.

Your hound is background noise to your aids.

I am still learning and testing my settings. My aids have 4 different programs, I have one set for hunting, heard my dog over 1/2 a mile the other night pretty clear. (250 yds was max for me, and she's got a nice mouth)
The program is set to about 90% volume and 5% compression. Its the best I have heard in years. Do I have my ears back -no, but its a start!!!

Last edited by Robert Shelton on 05-29-2019 at 01:13 AM

Old Post 05-29-2019 01:06 AM
Robert Shelton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Shelton Click here to Send Robert Shelton a Private Message Find more posts by Robert Shelton Add Robert Shelton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richardfish
UKC Forum Member

BTT
How are these Heargift hearing aids working out for you fellas that are trying them? I'm considering them as a backup and leaving the good ones at home.

Old Post 06-18-2019 05:27 PM
richardfish is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richardfish Click here to Send richardfish a Private Message Click Here to Email richardfish Find more posts by richardfish Add richardfish to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I sent the HearGift aids back. They didn't work like mu other hearing aids and made some noises too loud, like standing beside running water. Might work for some people but not for me. I just look at my garmin and try to get close enough to hear the dogs.

Old Post 06-18-2019 05:52 PM
richardfish
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for sharing Tom. Sounds like some that I had about 25 years ago.

Old Post 06-23-2019 01:38 PM
richardfish is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richardfish Click here to Send richardfish a Private Message Click Here to Email richardfish Find more posts by richardfish Add richardfish to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richardfish
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for sharing Tom. Sounds like some that I had about 25 years ago.

Old Post 06-23-2019 01:38 PM