UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > the 8
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

the 8

while looking into the other post I was looking at the eight min rule. I was in a hunt one night all dog struck two out of the three dogs treed other dog went the other way (2 mile walker style) it was the judges dog. after scoring the tree, we walked out into a field he looks at his garmin and knows the dog can't be heard. he then tells us it's his eight minutes and he has the right to walk in way he wants for eight min. I've heard a lot of people say you go back to the last place you heard the dog a listen but can't find that rule anywhere. anyone know where it is? thanks ps after walking at the pace of Richard Petty's fasts lap for six min. we could hear his dog treed about another grand deep. yeah welcome to some of my comp. huntin fun.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-2018 12:46 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If a dog is trailing out of hearing, do you walk in that direction or do you stand in one spot and then put the 8 on him when you cant hear him any longer? It is the same principle. And besides, Mr Gingerich has said on several occasions that you walk in the direction that the handler wants to walk. If it was your dog, would you not want to try to get closer so that you could hear him? The 8 minute rule is in place to penalize dogs that shut up and don't open for 8 minutes. It is not for dogs that trail out of hearing and you don't hear for 8 minutes.

Old Post 06-12-2018 01:09 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andycanada
UKC Forum Member

!!

It’s his 8 if he wants to walk u walk he wants to listen u listen , same as it would b for u.

Poison Magic Ghost
(Grnitech Harry's Finley River Jeb x Nitech Poison Houdini Ghost)

Nitech Poison Houdini Ghost
(Dual Grand All Grand Trackman x Grnitech Poison Spooky Ghost)

RIP
Grnitech Poison Spooky Ghost
(Dual Grand Big Creek Rat Tat x Nitech Poison White Ghost)

Old Post 06-12-2018 01:51 AM
andycanada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andycanada Click here to Send andycanada a Private Message Click Here to Email andycanada Find more posts by andycanada Add andycanada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

I went along and didn't argue, only because I had never read anywhere in the book to tell him he was wrong. but I've been in other cast where they said no you have to stand until the 8 is broke, and read it more than once on here.do you happen to know where I could find a couple of spots that he says go to ward them thanks

Old Post 06-12-2018 01:56 AM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rester
UKC Forum Member

He talking about walking ya half a mile then put n the 8 on him. Which 8 should been put on were last heard him at

Old Post 06-12-2018 01:53 PM
Rester is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rester Click here to Send Rester a Private Message Find more posts by Rester Add Rester to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andycanada
UKC Forum Member

!

Yes u go back to last place trailing dog was heard start the 8 then u walk or listen depending on handlers choice

Poison Magic Ghost
(Grnitech Harry's Finley River Jeb x Nitech Poison Houdini Ghost)

Nitech Poison Houdini Ghost
(Dual Grand All Grand Trackman x Grnitech Poison Spooky Ghost)

RIP
Grnitech Poison Spooky Ghost
(Dual Grand Big Creek Rat Tat x Nitech Poison White Ghost)

Old Post 06-12-2018 10:08 PM
andycanada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andycanada Click here to Send andycanada a Private Message Click Here to Email andycanada Find more posts by andycanada Add andycanada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

The 8 is 2-3min to long. it should be the 5 or the 6..

Old Post 06-13-2018 02:39 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
If a dog is trailing out of hearing, do you walk in that direction or do you stand in one spot and then put the 8 on him when you cant hear him any longer? It is the same principle. And besides, Mr Gingerich has said on several occasions that you walk in the direction that the handler wants to walk. If it was your dog, would you not want to try to get closer so that you could hear him? The 8 minute rule is in place to penalize dogs that shut up and don't open for 8 minutes. It is not for dogs that trail out of hearing and you don't hear for 8 minutes.
humm if you would have been on cast 8 at the ark state hunt sat. night your might a different opinion .leash locked for 50 minutes . walking back to where a dog was last heard is a courtesy. after seeing it abused no more mr nice guy for me . just like going to a split tree 10 minutes hunting time is all that should ever be allowed before starting the 8 . if you cant hear you dog in 18 minutes time out should have been called for your dog trailing out of hearing . i can not find one rule that says i have to go anywhere and waste my hunting time before putting the dog on the 8 . i can find a rule that says to call time out for such occasions. if you want to run 50 minutes to your dog looking at your garmin it will not be on my time it will be to beat the hour i will be resting waiting for ya.lol my courtesy days are over until i see a rule making me extend it . a rule with a set time limit on how much hunting time can be allowed used before starting the 8 to prevent abuse would be nice . i have no problem with walking the 8 minutes as long as i dont feel lm being takin advantage of .

Last edited by thomasg on 06-13-2018 at 05:58 AM

Old Post 06-13-2018 05:38 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Sometimes it works like that you were leash locked for 50 min. One day the rest of the cast may be leash locked walking to you're dog. It's not a hard rule to follow you go back to last place dog was heard and start the time. If the handler wants to stand and listen you stand and listen if he wants to walk you walk.

Old Post 06-13-2018 06:24 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
. It's not a hard rule to follow you go back to last place dog was heard and start the time.

Which rule is that ?

Old Post 06-13-2018 06:28 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip
UKC Forum Member

I always like all these clear answers. Lol
This one is missing the , in $kc you do this. Lol

Old Post 06-13-2018 11:46 AM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

Most everyone in the hunts nowadays has a Garmin,before the Garmin days it was correct to go to the last place you heard the dog and start the eight. Now we know which direction and how far away our dog is. Why would you want to possibly walk away from a dog just to go back to where he opened last? Listen for the dog if you don't hear him start the time. The handler has the option of telling you the direction and distance of their dog and can use the eight to walk that direction. Remember the cast should stay together and maintain a pace attainable by all handlers.

Old Post 06-13-2018 02:51 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rester
UKC Forum Member

Can agree with that but start the 8. Don't walk me n the direction for half a mile or so then start it. That's situations I have ran into.

Old Post 06-13-2018 03:10 PM
Rester is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rester Click here to Send Rester a Private Message Find more posts by Rester Add Rester to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
Sometimes it works like that you were leash locked for 50 min. One day the rest of the cast may be leash locked walking to you're dog. It's not a hard rule to follow you go back to last place dog was heard and start the time. If the handler wants to stand and listen you stand and listen if he wants to walk you walk.
and some times the handler and judge are buddies and walk you 3/4 of a mile farther than where the dog was struck a before starting the 8 knowing the whole time it is treed from the garmin so the dog can be scored .lol next time a judge says we are walking anywhere before starting the 8 he is going to have to show me a rule saying it is required . if we have to walk anywhere it would mean the dog has trailed out of hearing and time out needs to be called .

Old Post 06-13-2018 03:46 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd_Miller
UKC Forum Member

If the judged looked at his Garmin and the dog was last heard any other direction from what that Garmin said at that point we would stay put!!! and then Id let him walk in that direction and scratch him for the use of a Garmin.

Old Post 06-13-2018 03:49 PM
Todd_Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd_Miller Click here to Send Todd_Miller a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd_Miller Find more posts by Todd_Miller Add Todd_Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ssgied
Most everyone in the hunts nowadays has a Garmin,before the Garmin days it was correct to go to the last place you heard the dog and start the eight. Now we know which direction and how far away our dog is. Why would you want to possibly walk away from a dog just to go back to where he opened last? Listen for the dog if you don't hear him start the time. The handler has the option of telling you the direction and distance of their dog and can use the eight to walk that direction. Remember the cast should stay together and maintain a pace attainable by all handlers.
depending on the interpretation of the garmin rules one could also say that looking at a garmin while the 8 is running would be using the garmin to determine the scoring of a dog and you are scratched . lol

Old Post 06-13-2018 04:29 PM
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

The use of a Garmin as a scoring aid has already been discussed in another thread, and using it in this situation is not considered " scoring ". Definitely not a scratch able situation!

Old Post 06-13-2018 04:56 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like y'all are saying that if a dog trails out of hearing and trees a coon then you don't think that he should be scored. I dont understand this. Why should a dog be penalized because his coon travels a long way or in a different direction? Y'all want to minus him or call time out and not score his coon because you are too lazy to walk to his tree.

Old Post 06-13-2018 05:07 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like somebody got beat by that deep and lonely ,,

Old Post 06-13-2018 11:01 PM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

If you walk out of hearing of a dog then then UKC has officially stated you have to walk back to where you last heard the dog to start the 8.

Every effort is to be made to score the dog. If they trail over a ridge you should go to the top of the ridge to start the 8 too because you KNOW the physical barrier is the only thing keeping you from scoring the dog. By the same token if you walk down in a valley and go out of hearing of the treeing dogs on the way there you can't start the 2.

At the same time you don't walk anywhere to start the 8 if they just hush or whatever.

Old Post 06-14-2018 12:10 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by POTOMAC
Sounds like somebody got beat by that deep and lonely ,,
no just want to know so if I go to a hunt I know the right way be nice if instead of opinion someone could show me in black and white, when it's that way it clears up the error I'd just like to be a good judge and in accordance with the rules if I ever do judge thanks

Old Post 06-14-2018 12:24 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Allen / UKC
Administrator

Dean, I see no good reason why the cast cannot walk in the direction of that hound, given your scenario? It's his (handler's) 8 minutes and you have no other dog struck in that is being judged?_

I'm going to assume the question really surrounds Telemetry Rule #3, which states:_
At no time may an handler demand the cast walk in the direction of a hound that has not been heard opening. The judge, or majority of cast when hunting judge is used, may agree to walk in that direction.

The purpose of Rule 3# is for dogs blowing out of pocket that have not been struck in or heard, unless the majority of the cast agrees to do so._

Your situation doesn't quite fit that rule because the dog was declared struck. However, the dog hadn't been heard since he was declared struck nearby. So the argument could definitely be made that the rule should apply and it be a majority of cast decision whether or not the cast walk in that direction. Regardless, the 8 minutes comes into play and consideration should be granted to walk in that direction. UKC has stated, in the past, that the handlers whose dogs are on the clock may choose to walk during that time period. So, I'd say that applies here even though it may be waste of walking time in your situation.

_04-04-2017_11:54 AM____

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-14-2018 02:58 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
the rule for dogs that trail out of hearing would be to call time out .lol why dont we just get rid of rule 7 e.? with the garmin we dont have any use for it anymore.. lol we can always find the dogs and score them with the garmin. just make a new rule at the changing meeting to where 10 minutes of hunting time must be used to find a dog on trail and call time out till ya hear him .lol

Old Post 06-14-2018 03:49 AM
Rester
UKC Forum Member

Problem being is walking the direction of hound with garmin that cast cannot hear opening or treed. Walking cast to the point to were cast can hear hound. Without the 8 minutes running. If hounds trail opposite directions and splitting diffrence to judge hounds cannot be done. Time should be called to retrieve hounds

Old Post 06-14-2018 12:46 PM
Rester
UKC Forum Member

Problem being is walking the direction of hound with garmin that cast cannot hear opening or treed. Walking cast to the point to were cast can hear hound. Without the 8 minutes running. If hounds trail opposite directions and splitting diffrence to judge hounds cannot be done. Time should be called to retrieve hounds

Old Post 06-14-2018 12:46 PM