UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog Run Flooring
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
FDaniels
New UKC Forum Member

Dog Run Flooring

I'm building a large run area for my dogs. All total about 2,000 sq ft. Will wood work for flooring? Just regular PT 2x4 boards with about 1" between the boards? If so, what's the best way to keep it all clean? Simply hosing down each day with plain water or do I need to do anything extra?

Or would sand work?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-09-2017 10:29 PM
FDaniels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FDaniels Click here to Send FDaniels a Private Message Click Here to Email FDaniels Find more posts by FDaniels Add FDaniels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

you can also use what's called 5/4 decking. I would consider using pt fence planks. they are really strong enough for a safe floor for heavy people but they are fine for hounds. I wouldn't put any space between the planks. Put them together and when they dry they will leave a good space. I don't like my dogs dodging cracks every time they take a step.

Old Post 05-10-2017 01:02 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Bowers
UKC Forum Member

Horse mats on floor.

PKC SCH UKC DUAL GRAND TOUCAN SAM SEMEN

Also home to;ACHA LWSCH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ Sire is Kentucky River Rowdy (frozen Semen) BMOB 2013 Winter Classic
House's Lipper Hope x Kentucky River Rowdy
Broken Road's LITTLE TEXAS
LIPPERS STYLISH ROOSTER AT STUD
LIPPERS LITTLE TEXAS AT STUD.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you

Old Post 05-10-2017 01:42 AM
Doug Bowers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Bowers Click here to Send Doug Bowers a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Bowers Find more posts by Doug Bowers Add Doug Bowers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RAJames09
New UKC Forum Member

Kennel floor

With that big of an area, I'd probably just pour a concrete pad with a slight slope toward a "ditch" formed down one side. You can hose it all down that way. Put a drain on one end of the "ditch" to drain the water out. You can bleach the concrete periodically to keep the smell down. Anything wood will soak up urine and always smell. If I was going with a wood structure, I'd use greenhouse flooring or some type of plastic strips for the flooring. Any elevated design is more work to keep clean underneath in my opinion. *I'm new to this board and don't know how to post picture but I have both and the concrete works best for me.

Old Post 05-10-2017 10:04 PM
RAJames09 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RAJames09 Click here to Send RAJames09 a Private Message Click Here to Email RAJames09 Find more posts by RAJames09 Add RAJames09 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

If it's not elevated, concrete is definitely the best. 2000 sq ft is cost a bunch.

Old Post 05-10-2017 11:05 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knockemstiffeng
UKC Forum Member

Tip

If you use wood cut all the edges at a slight angel so that when laid the crack will be wider at the bottom. This will keep crap from sticking between. It will be way easier to clean. ---Good Luck--- Kenny

Old Post 05-11-2017 12:07 AM
knockemstiffeng is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knockemstiffeng Click here to Send knockemstiffeng a Private Message Click Here to Email knockemstiffeng Find more posts by knockemstiffeng Add knockemstiffeng to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FDaniels
New UKC Forum Member

Re: Kennel floor

quote:
Originally posted by RAJames09
With that big of an area, I'd probably just pour a concrete pad with a slight slope toward a "ditch" formed down one side. You can hose it all down that way. Put a drain on one end of the "ditch" to drain the water out. You can bleach the concrete periodically to keep the smell down. Anything wood will soak up urine and always smell. If I was going with a wood structure, I'd use greenhouse flooring or some type of plastic strips for the flooring. Any elevated design is more work to keep clean underneath in my opinion. *I'm new to this board and don't know how to post picture but I have both and the concrete works best for me.

We thought about concrete but were worried about the cost to do it. About how much would it cost for us to do concrete for 2,000 sq ft? Will it be cheaper to do it ourselves or hire a pro?
Also, what about using crusher dust? I read that you can use this in lieu of concrete and once you compact it, it's as tough as concrete but cheaper. Thoughts? Or maybe just level the ground, put down landscape fabric and then just lay down horse stall mats throughout?

Old Post 05-11-2017 03:30 PM
FDaniels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FDaniels Click here to Send FDaniels a Private Message Click Here to Email FDaniels Find more posts by FDaniels Add FDaniels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

Concrete would cost roughly 5k if you did it all yourself. Maybe 12k if hired done. I'd never spend that. Why don't you just let them run in the grass? You're talking big bucks either way wood or concrete

Old Post 05-11-2017 03:41 PM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FDaniels
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lipperman22
Concrete would cost roughly 5k if you did it all yourself. Maybe 12k if hired done. I'd never spend that. Why don't you just let them run in the grass? You're talking big bucks either way wood or concrete

Because its too messy for them. Where we live currently was grass and in a matter of weeks got worn down to mud and its just not sanitary enough. Plus where we're moving to is being cleared and its getting dug out and leveled which means zero grass to start with.

Old Post 05-11-2017 03:46 PM
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

Okay. I understand that. If I were you, I'd spend the 5k on a nice atv and run your dogs everyday if you have a gravel road to run them down.

Old Post 05-11-2017 03:50 PM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RAJames09
New UKC Forum Member

Concrete

2000 sq feet is roughly 25 cubic yards at 4" thick. That's plenty thick enough for a dog pad. Unless concrete has doubled over the last year, I believe it would be closer to $5000 to hire it out if your lot will already be graded.

Last edited by RAJames09 on 05-11-2017 at 05:12 PM

Old Post 05-11-2017 03:58 PM
RAJames09 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RAJames09 Click here to Send RAJames09 a Private Message Click Here to Email RAJames09 Find more posts by RAJames09 Add RAJames09 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Dog run

In Tennessee you could get the concrete for 2500 it will take about 25 yards to pour 2000 sq ft. And you should be able to get it bought and poured for no more than 5000 dollars should be cheaper than pt wood

Old Post 05-11-2017 04:40 PM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RAJames09
New UKC Forum Member

Concrete

I agree. The last time I checked, in Georgia, concrete was around $100 a cubic yard and about the same more to hire someone to pour and finish it.

Last edited by RAJames09 on 05-11-2017 at 05:17 PM

Old Post 05-11-2017 05:14 PM
mudcreek
UKC Forum Member

I have been contemplating this flooring.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...215_HA2217.html

Old Post 05-11-2017 10:45 PM
mudcreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mudcreek Click here to Send mudcreek a Private Message Visit mudcreek's homepage! Find more posts by mudcreek Add mudcreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RAJames09
New UKC Forum Member

Plastic flooring

Greenhouse Megastore sells the same thing called Durabench greenhouse flooring. It's $19 for interlocking 2'x4' panels with 1.1" X 1.1" sq openings. I have it in my whelping kennel. It works ok but if you feed something that makes the dogs stool firmer, like Victor, then not everything will fall through and some will stick on there pretty good. This was with beagles so I'm sure big hounds will be even worse.

Old Post 05-12-2017 01:20 AM
Preston Chadwell
UKC Forum Member

If you want something quick and the ability to move it/take it with you I would suggest 1' x 1' concrete pavers. They cost $1 a piece at Lowe's so a 10 x 10 kennel costs $100. Keeps nails trimmed, easy clean up and less work than finishing concrete the right way.

Old Post 05-12-2017 01:41 AM
Preston Chadwell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preston Chadwell Click here to Send Preston Chadwell a Private Message Click Here to Email Preston Chadwell Find more posts by Preston Chadwell Add Preston Chadwell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I'm not trying to get in your business but how many dogs are you trying to house? For a hunting dog a 6x12 pen is plenty big enough. At 2000 sqf that's 27 pens. Either way concrete is the way to go, everything else has to be replaced at some point. I have had them all and wood is not even close to as clean. I used epoxy garage floor paint on mine and I'm very happy with it. I have a 12x24 with 4 runs and a 2 block high wall between each kennel. So when I clean them it doesn't wash from one to the other and it cuts down on problems. I also built my dog houses out of block and lined the inside with plywood.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-12-2017 05:28 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip
UKC Forum Member

Maybe some tileing and gravel

Old Post 05-13-2017 02:46 AM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

i use crush and run in my kennels. Put some welded wire down before putting the crush and run down because dogs like to dig. Without the wire you will have mud again from them digging. It packs down good, dogs stay clean, kennel clean up is easy with a flat plastic poop shovel and a hoe to rack it into the shovel.

I have heard of people using sand that said it is nice but i haven't tried it.

Old Post 05-13-2017 03:54 PM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Flooring...

quote:
Originally posted by chip johnson
i use crush and run in my kennels. Put some welded wire down before putting the crush and run down because dogs like to dig. Without the wire you will have mud again from them digging. It packs down good, dogs stay clean, kennel clean up is easy with a flat plastic poop shovel and a hoe to rack it into the shovel.

I have heard of people using sand that said it is nice but i haven't tried it.

I have used sand before, it's not good at all. It gets very hot in the summer also. I have tried pea gravel as well, and it doesn't do well either.....
I have off ground kennels for the last 10 years......I HATE them.....too hard to keep clean. Going to pour me a 10x20 Concrete Slab, lay 2 courses of Block around perimeter and in between the 3 runs..and Heavy Duty Welded Wire Panels on top of block with a good metal roof and Insulated Dog Houses in each.
Nothing beats concrete for easy cleanup, even in winter.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Last edited by Triple K Kennel on 05-13-2017 at 04:57 PM

Old Post 05-13-2017 04:53 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

I went from above ground to concrete & will go above ground again soon. Concrete requires almost daily clean up, especially in the summer cause the odor is horrible. Even standing urine has a bad odor on mine. I kept sawdust under my above grounds and cleaned them once a week.

Old Post 05-13-2017 07:16 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I PREFER ABOVE GROUND. I DON'T LIKE TO CLEAN UP POOP ALL THE TIME EITHER. NO MUD. LESS FLIES.

Old Post 05-14-2017 05:46 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

I use

Crushed Lime stone. The first layer I put down is around 3/4 inch size. On top of that I put a layer of the small stuff they call flume. It's like 1/4 inch or less. It's cheap and helps keep the smell down. I've also known guys to use the ag lime "dust". It gets packed hard and water runs off. Really helps with the smell too.
Some use road pack lime stone. Its a mix, like is on the back roads.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 05-15-2017 08:01 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

Re: Dog Run Flooring

quote:
Originally posted by FDaniels
I'm building a large run area for my dogs. All total about 2,000 sq ft. Will wood work for flooring? Just regular PT 2x4 boards with about 1" between the boards? If so, what's the best way to keep it all clean? Simply hosing down each day with plain water or do I need to do anything extra?

Or would sand work?

It sounds like the first thing we need you to do is tell us exactly what a "run area" is......is this just going to be used as some sort of exercise only area or is this the actual dogs living area where they will stay all the time and live ...."kennel"?????
I am with Mr. Rosamond...25 yards of concrete!!!! If this is living area {kennels}.....how many dogs do you have???? and/or just how much room do you think they need????

Old Post 05-15-2017 12:55 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

I’m in the process of finishing up an elevated setup where I framed everything with treated lumber (which is equivalent to gold right now) and I’m using some 4’x4’ plastic polymer pallets I was able to source for $9 each (ended up being substantially more affordable than Dura Slat flooring I previously priced out). My setup are 4x8 covered runs with the dog house on the outside.
The pallets are very sturdy with a 1.25” x 1.25” grid opening so that hopefully majority of the waste will pass through the openings. I plan to put sawdust underneath them to aid in the cleanup as well and the 8’x8’ whelping pen I will more than likely do a solid floor as I don’t think the grin will work well with puppies or young dogs.
I am using treated 5/4 lumber to put a 2’ tall divider wall between the runs with 50” cattle panel on top. The roof is nothing special just a sloped 10’ tin roof. I am still playing with the idea of a setup where I can feed and water from the outside of the kennel but at the same time I like to lay my hands on each hound every day.
I decided to go elevated because I didn’t want to have the permanent concrete investment laying there on the ground. If need be I can disassemble this setup and move it to a new location if need be. I will try to update this forum in the future with all of my regrets in this setup and what I would do differently the next time but I feel that elevated is the way to go in my personal situation. Also as far as the 4x8 size I chose it due to the fact that I run hounds very regularly and one of the biggest comments I got from a lot of guys I asked about their setup was “4x8 is plenty big if you run them regularly, anything more is a waste of space and materials”

Old Post 04-19-2021 05:13 PM
5thgearwide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thgearwide Click here to Send 5thgearwide a Private Message Find more posts by 5thgearwide Add 5thgearwide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote