UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid Dog-Looking for Help
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TRP
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid Dog-Looking for Help

So I know it’s been cussed and discussed many times but I never paid any attention until now. I unknowingly bought a dog with thyroid issues. The guy not telling me is irrelevant at this point. I just want to know how to address the situation. He is a nice hound or I would get rid of him and move on.

Any direction on who I could reach out too for sound advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-26-2022 03:36 AM
TRP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TRP Click here to Send TRP a Private Message Find more posts by TRP Add TRP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

look up Sonny Phipps on here, he's a good dude that's been down this road.

it's not a huge deal on a dog you like. a pill or 2 a day, pills are cheap. peanut butter or whatever to give pill can be cheap enough and dog is good it go

Lone Pine North

Old Post 05-26-2022 04:01 AM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Call me 330-466-1469

Old Post 05-26-2022 05:32 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

I have recently changed my thinking on thyroid problems based on my personal experience with the problem.

The 1st dog we had that tested low thyroid was in 2017. He tested 0.4 on a 1-4 normal scale. He was a 2 yr old and had never had a tick disease. The vet put him on thyroxine and it didn’t help him much. We kept hunting the dog and increasing the dose of thyroxine. Our thinking was if you regulated his thyroid level when he was sitting around doing nothing in the pen that it would fall too low when we started hunting him again. Took him to the vet several times to have his levels re-tested and he was usually still below 1.0 but occasionally higher. His reading were all over the map and we never found a dose that kept him where his levels needed to be. If we rested the dog for a week or so he might have a good night but the next day he was completely wiped out. He looked like he was dead laying out there in the pen and completely worthless if you tried to hunt him again the next night.

The 2nd dog we had that tested low thyroid was a littermate brother to the first dog. We went to hunting him hard trying to get him ready for the hunts and around 3yrs old he tested 0.6. We didn’t keep him long after that trying to fix the problem knowing the trouble we had with his brother.

So after talking it over with our vets and doing a ton of research on the subject I concluded it was a genetic problem Autoimmune thyroiditis. From what I understand about this condition the dogs body produces autoimmune antibodies that binds where the thyroxine is supposed to bind blocking the uptake of the hormone for normal cell function. This seemed to fit to me because 1) no matter how much thyroxine you gave the 1st dog it didn’t help 2) they were littermate brothers 3) top side was wipeout bred 4) their sire was an excellent dog when he was young but wasn’t the same dog when he was older.

After this we started over with different bloodlines. We bought a nice 4 yr old male without any thyroid problems. This dog climbed a tree and fell about 40 foot and jacked himself up. We then bought a 3 yr old female that was healthy without any thyroid issues and bred her to this male. We raised a litter of pups and kept 4 of them. Then narrowed it down to 2 and started pouring the hunting on them trying to get them ready for the super stakes. The most talented one was getting hunted a good bit harder. She got where she wouldn’t go hunting. Hauled her to the vet every thing checked good except her T4 thyroid level was low (0.4). I didn’t give her any pills. I just put her up and rested her and started researching this problem again. I researched diets that support thyroid function and settled on high quality food that checked most of the boxes I was looking for and switched her diet and continued to rest her. While researching the problem I came across a scientific study that showed sled dogs T4 levels dropped while training for the Iditarod race. I also found where athletes training for the Olympics had developed thyroid problems. So my current thinking is that over hunting can lead to thyroid problems. I also feel that your average dog foods do not meet the needs of dog that are training hard. After 6-7 weeks of rest and a change in diet I had a full thyroid panel test sent of to the state lab. Her T4 levels had come up some but was still a little low. However her free T4, T3, TSH and autoimmune antibody were normal. So I continued to rest her a few more weeks and started hunting her lightly. It is now 10 weeks since the full thyroid panel and I’m hunting her about 3 nights a week for 1-2 hours and she is treeing coons. I still have a lot of question marks on her but things are moving in the right direction. Hopefully this will help answer some of your questions.

Old Post 05-27-2022 12:38 AM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

So here’s a question……….what is a reasonable expectation from a hound regarding time in the woods?

I know the thyroid thing is real. Last coonhound I had was a thyroid dog. As I looked back on the dogs he came from, there was (4) generations preceding him that I’m sure all died of Thyroid issues. They all died in the dead of winter in their dog box. They all were bothered by the cold and mine was the same. I put mine down but it was for a non-thyroid related issue.

Just wondering is there a point where hounds are getting hunted to much. Perhaps taxing their immune system which in turn aggravates the thyroid condition?

Old Post 05-27-2022 03:20 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Is this a coonhound thing? Or are foxhounds and bird dogs having thyroid issues?

Old Post 05-27-2022 03:49 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
So here’s a question……….what is a reasonable expectation from a hound regarding time in the woods?

I don’t know the answer to that question but I can tell you what I think was too much. We start pushing hard towards the end of deer season until the time springs forward (mid Nov- March). They were hunted 5-7 nights a week for an average of 5 hrs a night. Some nights were just a couple hours and others were all nighters but most nights was cutting loose around 6:00 and quitting about midnight.

Putting in the boot leather and 30 nights of hard hunting may not be the best advice.

Old Post 05-27-2022 09:17 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TRP
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. I am have earned quite a bit so far.

Todd

Old Post 05-28-2022 02:30 PM
TRP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TRP Click here to Send TRP a Private Message Find more posts by TRP Add TRP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TRP
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the responses. I am have earned quite a bit so far.

Todd

Old Post 05-28-2022 02:30 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had hare hounds (aka beagles) for over 40 yrs. I’ve seen times where guys I’ve been running with have had to carry there dogs out of the woods because they were so exhausted they just laid down and wouldn’t get up and walk out. I’ll probably get some flack for this next statement.

As houndsmen & women it IS our responsibility to read the signs of exhaustion in our hounds and call it a day/night. Most of the really good dogs I’ve seen or owned didn’t know when to quit. It’s just not in their DNA.

Old Post 05-28-2022 02:50 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH

As houndsmen & women it IS our responsibility to read the signs of exhaustion in our hounds and call it a day/night.

Most of the really good dogs I’ve seen or owned didn’t know when to quit. It’s just not in their DNA.

I agree with both statements…

I lost a few in my younger days…everyone of them were of the best of what I produced…who doesn’t want a hunting dog of this caliber?

Old Post 05-28-2022 04:59 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote