UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Savage Rascal .22
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kjbpreaching
UKC Forum Member

Savage Rascal .22

Thinking of getting a lighter weight rifle to hunt with, has anyone used these at all. What are your thoughts?

Psalms 119:89

Life is to short to hunt sorry dogs

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-15-2021 06:25 PM
kjbpreaching is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kjbpreaching Click here to Send kjbpreaching a Private Message Click Here to Email kjbpreaching Find more posts by kjbpreaching Add kjbpreaching to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I use a chipmunk (very similar) and love it! Been 12-15 years with same gun

Old Post 10-15-2021 08:46 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Savage Rascal .22

quote:
Originally posted by kjbpreaching
Thinking of getting a lighter weight rifle to hunt with, has anyone used these at all. What are your thoughts?

I have 2 Rascals , and have a chipmunk and a cricket, the rascals are way better in my opinion, they are easier to load and have a much better scope attachment system, way superior to the Chipmunk and Cricket rifles that use the back sight to attach scope. The rascal uses a fixed mount scope base which is more sturdier and less likely to get off center. You will need to buy the scope base mount for the Rascal, but you will be well satisfied with the scope mounting system and the Rascal has the accurate trigger system that savage uses and can be adjusted for trigger weight pull, a super trigger. Dave

Old Post 10-15-2021 09:51 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

Rascal is more accurate
Rascal has a ramp for the bullet whereas the other has to physically be inserted into chamber.
Rascal has a better set up for scope mounting
I know people that bought the cheaper .22 and ended up selling and getting a Rascal

With the mounting set up and a compact scope mounted .it makes a nice outfit

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 10-16-2021 03:05 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Rascal

Can you put a laser dot sight on the rascal thanks

Old Post 10-16-2021 06:48 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

Re: Rascal

quote:
Originally posted by wart
Can you put a laser dot sight on the rascal thanks

I put one on mine originally. Not a a laser sight but a red dot one. Sighted in for 20 yards. The rise and drop of bullet before and after that yardage was terrible. I went to the compact scope and it worked better for me

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 10-17-2021 06:44 AM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by benderb4
Rascal is more accurate
Rascal has a ramp for the bullet whereas the other has to physically be inserted into chamber.
Rascal has a better set up for scope mounting
I know people that bought the cheaper .22 and ended up selling and getting a Rascal

With the mounting set up and a compact scope mounted .it makes a nice outfit

Bender is correct, Rascal is better in all respects, light weight and accurate. Dave

Old Post 10-18-2021 12:14 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Rifle

Another good choice is a Traditions break down single shot, works like a single shot shotgun, comes with attached scope mount. Fairly light and a easy gun to carry with attached sling studs. Need to use a scope as it does not have sights, durable and rugged rifle, short in length and very accurate. Just another option. Dave

Old Post 10-19-2021 12:06 AM
wart
UKC Forum Member

Rifle

Does the tradition have scope mounts etc you have them drilled for red dot laser type sight

Old Post 10-19-2021 01:14 AM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Rifle

Just watched a video on it a crackshot type setup much like the Rossi 22lr

Old Post 10-19-2021 01:18 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Rifle

quote:
Originally posted by wart
Does the tradition have scope mounts etc you have them drilled for red dot laser type sight

Yes, the Tradition comes with a scope mount base installed. They are head and shoulders better than a Rossi. The only one better is a T/C Hotshot single shot breakdown that is no produced and is priced out of sight if you can find one. I have the T/C Hotshot it's lighter and deadly accurate, but hard to find, I bought mine when they first came out and would have bought several if I had known they would be discontinued. Dave

Old Post 10-19-2021 04:44 AM
Baggs
UKC Forum Member

Savage Rascal .22

May I offer a different choice. Chippa Little Badger.

Nothing wrong with the earlier mentioned rifles. I own both, but the badger is an adult size gun, weighs less than 4 pounds, has rails to mount optics ( if you have old eyes) and has one of the best feeling triggers, especially for a plain old rifle. On a personal note: easier to load than the earlier mentioned rifles.(break open)

The only down side to this rifle is, the shell holder on the butt of the gun will lose more shells than you can shoot in a night of hunting. Be better to carry your shells in a Marble, Catch 22

Brian

Old Post 10-19-2021 05:58 PM
Baggs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Baggs Click here to Send Baggs a Private Message Click Here to Email Baggs Find more posts by Baggs Add Baggs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy212
UKC Forum Member

Another option

I also have a rascal it’s been the best rifle for my children when they decide to go with me ( ages 11 and 9) but I have had great luck as well with a mossberg model 72 plinkster it’s a great gun that’s light and short plus semi automatic

Old Post 10-20-2021 05:03 PM
Andy212 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy212 Click here to Send Andy212 a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy212 Find more posts by Andy212 Add Andy212 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote