UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > Kemmer pup awol
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Kemmer pup awol

Got a problem maybe someone can help me with. My 9 month old pup has been jumping some kind of critters and heading out 800-2000 yards from me. One time he stayed out at 2000 yards for 2 hours before I could catch him. I'm wondering if this is normal and what kind of varmint he's after. I will hear him bark a few times when he jumps it and sometimes a few barks but when he eventually stops theres no barking. This is rough country (NM) and I don't like hiking 2000 yards to him. Is this a puppy thing?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-06-2019 01:03 AM
mike berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike berger Click here to Send mike berger a Private Message Find more posts by mike berger Add mike berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Cat

Old Post 05-06-2019 01:44 AM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Guess it ain't so bad after all...Now if he can keep it in a tree until I get there!

Old Post 05-09-2019 01:02 AM
mike berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike berger Click here to Send mike berger a Private Message Find more posts by mike berger Add mike berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Treed a few bobcats here . Thinking we ran a big cat a few nights. That was a whole different ball game. Dogs acted really stupid whatever it was

Old Post 05-09-2019 03:54 AM
tn russ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tn russ Click here to Send tn russ a Private Message Click Here to Email tn russ Find more posts by tn russ Add tn russ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Maybe the new Garmins will have a camera mounted on them.

Old Post 05-09-2019 12:44 PM
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Today he took off, went about a mile, milled around on a road for a half hour, started back to me and then turned around and went another mile away. After 1 1/2 hours I had to jump in the truck and go get him. He was just nosing around when I got there. 2 miles away and heading out. What the hell is wrong with this dog? Is this normal for a kemmer? At some point won't they come back to you? This always happens when I tell him it's time to go home and we head towards the truck. If I hadn't caught him I think he would have kept going. He is of Blondy 111 breeding.

Old Post 05-12-2019 10:52 PM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I have a kemmer that has no handle. She has spent several nights in the woods because I couldn't get her. But now, with a new shocking collar she'll usually come. Sometimes I still need to go to a level 5 a few hits to get her attention. And all she's doing is messing around. It wasn't until a got a garmin that I could make out what she was doing. She'll almost 9 years old. She put me thru hell but now I"m the boss.

Old Post 05-18-2019 09:24 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

How do you tone her in from a distance if you can't see her?
Tone and then if the Garmin shows her moving away you send a shock?
I have an Alpha coming.

Old Post 05-18-2019 10:34 PM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

Yes, I tone and buzz her and watch the garmin. If I don't see her coming, I hit her with a 2 twice and work my way up to a 5. Usually the other dogs are with her and they all leave right away to come back but she just stays and get struck by lighting.

Old Post 05-18-2019 10:54 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

So it's tone..vibrate..and if she doesn't come hit #2 twice, wait a few seconds, if she's still not coming hit#3 twice and so on up to level 5?

Old Post 05-19-2019 01:06 AM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

That's what works for me. I watch the garmin to see that she's coming or not.

Old Post 05-19-2019 02:57 AM
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Thanks mucho...Should work...

Old Post 05-19-2019 03:50 AM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Croatankid and Mr. Berger, would you both show us the papers on your dogs as I’m really curious as to where this trait is coming from in a Kemmer. Very much so not typical behavior from most Kemmers. I’ve seen it show up recently and in a certain few that are bred a certain way. I’m in the process of bringing in outside blood and the new age Kemmers are not what we’ve had for 25 years. It’s proving hard for me to find a dog I would even consider breeding into my dogs because they are not Kemmer in appearance or ability.

Old Post 05-20-2019 01:06 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

My pup is heavy Blondy 3....Hard headed little SOB....Not what I had heard about Kemmers. Makes me wonder what people did before they had Garmins. and TriTronics.He IS a well built, good looking dog though.

Last edited by mike berger on 05-20-2019 at 01:47 PM

Old Post 05-20-2019 01:19 PM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

Mine is out of target's strut on top and mrs target, and then strut is out of big strut and mrs strut, mrs target is out of blonde's target and t.c.'s target.

Old Post 05-20-2019 04:07 PM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Berger, do you know the parents and grandparents names, that’s not a Blonde trait. Where did you come across this pup? Kenneth Smith maybe?

Croatan, Big Strut was owned by Jamie woods. I believe Mrs Target was possibly Ben Lawless’ old Juice female. Both men had good dogs. I bought a heavy Target female a few years back that was the only Kemmer I’ve ever saw that was terrible about just milling around as you both describe. They claimed she was just cold nosed but she was not, she couldn’t trail out and would get bogged down on more tracks than not. I’ve seen lots of hounds that were bad about it but that’s not common in Kemmer’s.

Old Post 05-20-2019 06:54 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Yes, got him from Kenneth, he's out of Red Andy and Goldie. Grandparents are Twister and Yellow Blondie 3 and Gilliams Curly Bob and RJH Zada. Is there anything you can tell me about this line? This is my first Kemmer and I waited many years to get my first one. He is only 10 months and I'm hoping he starts hunting closer. I just got an Alpha so that should solve the problem. Thanks....Mike

Last edited by mike berger on 05-20-2019 at 07:47 PM

Old Post 05-20-2019 07:39 PM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I got this dog from Ben Lawless. Yes, this female is bad about milling. No matter what she loves to mill around. I think it may be part of the reason she's been snake bit twice.. If the four of them lose a track the other three will start back. The kemmer wants to sniff every leaf, blade of grass and that's where she fines those copper heads.

Last edited by croatankid on 05-21-2019 at 05:33 PM

Old Post 05-20-2019 11:51 PM
tn russ
UKC Forum Member

Haven't had kemmers in years but never saw one mill

Old Post 05-21-2019 01:03 AM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

A lot of things are cropping up in the new generation of Kemmers. Mostly due to all the “breeders” breeding dogs that are not hunted to know what traits they possess. It’s not just them, most breeds are suffering from it because more people are talking about hunting than actually doing it. Papers and percentage breeding practices take a toll on lines of dogs when they are not being held to a performance standard.
Lots of Kemmers are bred and advertised as big game Kemmers by men who have never caught a big game animal in their life. Makes most of us scratch our heads as we have a hard enough time raising good dogs from dogs that are proven to possess the traits we desire.

Old Post 05-21-2019 02:44 AM
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Same thing happened today. Almost back to the truck and I didn't look at the Alpha for about 1-2 minutes. I looked and dog is 735 yards away . I toned, no movement, shocked level 2.
toned, no movement, shocked level 3.
toned, no movement, shocked level 4, no movement.
toned, no movement, shocked level 4 again
Still no movement, started shocking level 4 many times...no return.

I thought maybe, maybe he actually had something caught.
Started walking the 735 yds to him,
I get close and he takes off in opposite direction and is quickly at 635 yds.
I tone him, no return,then shock at level 5, no return.
I tone, no return, shock at level 5 again, no movement.
tone again, no movement, level 5 shock and he starts coming back. Gets back to me and follows me to truck.
I can 'put up with his barking and **** eating but I'm starting to get irritated with his lack of common sense. For the same money I spent on this new Alpha I could have gotten a Black mouth cur that had some brains.

Old Post 05-23-2019 06:32 PM
dbender
UKC Forum Member

Your best bet is work the dog in the yard at home with treats and loving. Buy a leash and use it. Once you have a handle on him take him somewhere loaded with the game you want him to hunt. Leave the shocker at home. Pup isn't milling, he's young and hunting anything that gives off a scent and moves. He's got you figured out enough to realize your just going to put him in the box and spoil his fun. As far as being a Kemmer trait, blood lines don't matter. Hes just a dog, thats what dogs do! Hes a young pup with a lot of go that's excited to be in the woods. You keep taking him and shocking him he wont be good for anything.

Old Post 05-24-2019 12:41 AM
dbender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbender Click here to Send dbender a Private Message Click Here to Email dbender Find more posts by dbender Add dbender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

You're right about him being just young and excited about being in the woods and not wanting to go home. However, if it were not for the Garmin I wouldn't have a dog. He has literally been 2 miles away in rough mountains (Gila Nat. Forrest) and heading away from me when i got lucky and intercepted him in my truck. It's either shocking him into returning on command or losing him. A harsh lesson given once or twice might just save his life.

Old Post 05-24-2019 01:31 PM
mike berger
UKC Forum Member

Well, same thing happened again. He wants to stay and hunt and he's willing to take the electricity to do it. Almost back to the truck and he takes off. 450 yards out and he's sniffing around yelping occasionally as the electricity hits him but still unwilling to return to me and go home.This goes on for 10 minutes. Finally comes back to the truck.From now on I leash him and lead him back to truck. Funny thing, he pulls me all the way back. Never had a dog this hard headed.Well, maybe the Fell terrier I owned. This dog has been a colossal disappointment.

Old Post 05-31-2019 02:21 PM
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

You describing my kemmer cur and my dog is 9 years old. She is bone headed, even at home and she lives indoors. It was just a few days ago I had to hit her on 5 several times to get her turned around. If it wasn't for the shocker, she would be just a house dog.

Old Post 05-31-2019 08:54 PM