UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Where were they?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

Where were they?

Where were the close hunting dogs that was gonna be treeing racoons going to the deep n alone dogs? For sure not any in final cast. Thought someone mention it would change the game with no leash lock? JesseJ

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-27-2020 08:32 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jesse J

Lol. You know where most of that rubbish originated, just another example of huff and puff and blow your house down from the big bad wolf. Dave

Old Post 09-27-2020 08:53 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Hunt

Your correct the real game changer in last few years has been the use of trackers the Garmin was the real game changer

Old Post 09-27-2020 09:23 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevwallace
UKC Forum Member

Doesn't seem to be much difference. Get one coon stay clean.

Old Post 09-28-2020 12:26 AM
stevwallace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stevwallace Click here to Send stevwallace a Private Message Click Here to Email stevwallace Find more posts by stevwallace Add stevwallace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I'm sure the guys hunting last night along with most who have got to utilize the no leash lock appreciate not walking around on a leash scoring other dogs trees. As where exactly they were in relation to other dogs and yardage from where they were cut we don't know because we weren't there. It has made for a faster pace and gives dogs the chance to tree behind, in front of or wherever, dogs on the leash can't tree coons.
P.S. Never once last night did you read that dogs on the leash are leading to so and so 3/4mi away to score a tree did you? So that wolf was right after all.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 09-28-2020 04:51 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

No Leash Lock

Great rule, it's not the rule that's being dissected, it's the close hunting tree them all around the deep dog that IS NOT happening, so the wolf was Wrong, the house still stands. Dave

Old Post 09-28-2020 05:31 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fireballs
Banned

Re: No Leash Lock

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Great rule, it's not the rule that's being dissected, it's the close hunting tree them all around the deep dog that IS NOT happening, so the wolf was Wrong, the house still stands. Dave
You cant say that because those dogs never got over 900 yards in the finals and that was just one night go back and look at the scores it took to get there and you will see it took more than one coon. Who is Wolf?

Old Post 09-28-2020 01:47 PM
Fireballs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fireballs Click here to Send Fireballs a Private Message Click Here to Email Fireballs Find more posts by Fireballs Add Fireballs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Maybe I missed where the yardage was posted, but I don't think so. Now if y'all think you can tree coons ahead of and behind every dog, you'll be sadly mistaken. I bet you can 50% or better at local levels, but not at that level. You guys are trying to compare apples to oranges again. And you don't think the dogs in the top 100 are that type or what? There's only just so much information you can read on a play by play.

The older I get the more I like a dog that bird dogs around you that is the type you describe. But they aren't around every corner. And they have to know when they need to go hunting to find a coon if there isn't any close by. They have to be able to tree layups, and do it quick. That's really what can separate a mediocre dog from being outstanding. If the dog can't tree layups it will have a hard time treeing coons behind a bunch of dogs. I've only seen 3 dogs that were pretty good about being able to tree coons consistently behind other dogs.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 09-28-2020 02:37 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Maybe I missed where the yardage was posted, but I don't think so. Now if y'all think you can tree coons ahead of and behind every dog, you'll be sadly mistaken. I bet you can 50% or better at local levels, but not at that level. You guys are trying to compare apples to oranges again. And you don't think the dogs in the top 100 are that type or what? There's only just so much information you can read on a play by play.

The older I get the more I like a dog that bird dogs around you that is the type you describe. But they aren't around every corner. And they have to know when they need to go hunting to find a coon if there isn't any close by. They have to be able to tree layups, and do it quick. That's really what can separate a mediocre dog from being outstanding. If the dog can't tree layups it will have a hard time treeing coons behind a bunch of dogs. I've only seen 3 dogs that were pretty good about being able to tree coons consistently behind other dogs.

X2, just not going to happen in a cast of decent dogs, go back and look at every cast in every zone and every cast in the UKC WORLD HUNT and you CAN NOT show me the big scores predicted by the rule change. I love the no leash lock rule, it's fair to all dogs, but it still takes a coon dog that hunts to win. Dave

Old Post 09-28-2020 07:22 PM
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

The biggest thing the no leash lock did for me.... now if I get beat I don’t sit there and wonder for days if I could have got cut loose I think I could have won that cast.... I cut and I still got beat... I sleep better now 😂

Old Post 09-28-2020 07:51 PM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

JR Cobb

Excellent honest answer, and that is exactly what the new rule intended. I love the rule, it gives everyone the opportunity to hunt without being leash locked. It WILL NOT be the magic pill some thought it would and make WINNERS out of average dogs. Now you don't have the excuse that my dog was on a leash for X amount of time, but some folks will latch onto some other rule as their excuse. Dave

Old Post 09-28-2020 09:50 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Dave,
You're making to much sense for the average coonhunter.... lol

Old Post 09-28-2020 11:08 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevwallace
UKC Forum Member

Agree that you can't tree coons on the leash. And we weren't there so can't tell much about the distance and all that but still one coon won it ...one dog almost pulled 400- and was walked on leash for few min. there was three or four trees left or miss called. One dog held 25 strike and was on -a cold trail for 30 mins or more??? Can't recall but think there was more minus pulled than plus??

Old Post 09-28-2020 11:30 PM
stevwallace is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stevwallace Click here to Send stevwallace a Private Message Click Here to Email stevwallace Find more posts by stevwallace Add stevwallace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I hate a leash lock rule more than anything in coon hunting, but the lack of a leash lock in one of the major kennel clubs isn't going to change the style of dogs we hunt overnight.

It's not a coincidence that since UKC started paying good money to win their world hunt the last two champions have been hunted mostly in PKC, where there is a leash lock.

Coon dogs win, no matter what rules they hunt under.

Old Post 09-29-2020 12:30 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
I hate a leash lock rule more than anything in coon hunting, but the lack of a leash lock in one of the major kennel clubs isn't going to change the style of dogs we hunt overnight.

It's not a coincidence that since UKC started paying good money to win their world hunt the last two champions have been hunted mostly in PKC, where there is a leash lock.

Coon dogs win, no matter what rules they hunt under.

X2, Exactly my point. Dave

Old Post 09-29-2020 12:38 AM