UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > I suck at finding coons
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ongplott
UKC Forum Member

I suck at finding coons

I was reading some threads about slick treeing tonight at about 1030 before bed. It got me really wanting to go and hunt my dog. Well about midnight I finally got tired of thinking about it and said heck. Im going hunting. Loaded up my crap, dog jumped in the box and I was off. Saw 2 coons in my short 4 minute drive to a spot. Turned the dog loose and he hunted around for about 25 minutes before making a loop by me and finally he opened. (longest he's gone before striking a coon on a cast.) He gave one bawl (its almost like a scream, raspy and aggressive, not what i think a normal bawl is) then chopped once and started treeing. He does this on hot tracks, he hardly opens. Well he trees in a tree split at the base that has limbs everywhere, I couldn't see the coon. Didn't make me feel good. Its 130 now and i decide to go to another spot, I hated to leave on a possible slick. I cast him and he only takes about 5 minutes to open, he eventually loses that track. He keeps going along and chops real quick, bawls twice then rolls over to straight chop. I go down and see it is a tree about the diameter of a dinner plate. Easy to find a coon in this one, I thought. After 9 or 10 minutes of looking I can't see crap on this fairly small tree. I was nearly about to start chewing the dogs butt when I looked up once more and saw what I thought was a star shining through the leaves. I looked around at the sky, not a single star showing. I slid around the tree and sure enough. There sat a coon. Well I gave him a "Good boy!" and turned him off the tree. I walked out grinning so much my cheeks hurt. Then I thought "I really suck at finding coons." I'm still sitting here smiling at 3 in the morning as I type this. I guess I need to trust my dog a little more.....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-27-2016 08:52 AM
ongplott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ongplott Click here to Send ongplott a Private Message Click Here to Email ongplott Find more posts by ongplott Add ongplott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

All I can say is "you aint the lone ranger!!!" We all have this problem and there are a few that thank god for it...the coon hunting nation spends thousands of dollars on gimmicks like squallers, colored lenses and flutter switches all in the hopes of getting a coon to look.

Old Post 06-27-2016 12:48 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BBinkley
UKC Forum Member

finding coon

I read a lot of post that say if a coon is there you will see it. I live in middle Tn . In these creek bottoms the trees are so tall, thick , and close together you can not even see up past 15 feet in most places. There could be a black bear up there and you would not see it.

Old Post 06-27-2016 03:16 PM
BBinkley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BBinkley Click here to Send BBinkley a Private Message Find more posts by BBinkley Add BBinkley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ongplott
UKC Forum Member

Re: finding coon

quote:
Originally posted by BBinkley
I read a lot of post that say if a coon is there you will see it. I live in middle Tn . In these creek bottoms the trees are so tall, thick , and close together you can not even see up past 15 feet in most places. There could be a black bear up there and you would not see it.

Yep. I normally can see just over half the tree. Often times another trees limbs and leaves obstruct. I think most are getting the coon to look at them. But I have treed many this spring and the did not look at me. Only 2 have actually looked and this one was after 10 minutes of shining. The other I could already see and i practically hit it with a stick I threw. Idk. Im afraid to use a squaller as if it is slick, it sure won't help a dogs slicking problem.

Old Post 06-27-2016 03:56 PM
ongplott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ongplott Click here to Send ongplott a Private Message Click Here to Email ongplott Find more posts by ongplott Add ongplott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Hunter
UKC Forum Member

You are not alone. I was pleasure hunting last week and treed in a decent size mulberry tree. I shined that tree for nearly ten minutes and didn't see a thing. Grab the dogs and started away from the tree when I heard the coon hit the ground from jumping out of the tree.

Getting better at locating the coon is one area I would love to improve in my hunting game.

Home of:
UKC DUAL GR CH PKC CH CHKC Money Winner ALL GRAND YOGI (GR NITE CH MOORE'S HARDTIME ALL GRAND HORN x DUAL GR CH ENGLISHPRIDE'S LITTLE LIZ) 2017 UKC Performance and PKC Super Stakes Sire

UKC DUAL GR CH TREE ROCKN NELLY (DUAL GR CH PKC GOLD CH MAIN STREET ROY X GR NITE CH PKC CH INDIAN RIDGE CINDY) Littermate sister to 2013 UKC WORLD CH GR NITE CH MAIN STREET JOHN THE BAPTIST

PLUS POINT ZINGO (DUAL GRAND CH '98 ENGLISH HALL OF FAME WILCOX THUNDER BINGO semen X CH NITE CH CLONES FRONT PAGE) The only living direct son of Bingo alive today!

Gone but not forgotten:

UKC GR NITE CH PKC CH PLUS POINT BLUE BOY BRUISER (66 "canes" stored at OnceFrozen) Direct son of DUAL GR CH PKC CH CLEAR CREEK CADILLAC JACK x CH GR NITE CH '95 UKC World Hunt High Scoring English Female WELLS' LITTLE PATCH

CH GR NITE CH WELLS' LITTLE PATCH (High Scoring English Female 1995 UKC World Hunt) Direct Daughter of GR NITE CH PKC GOLD CH DARON'S BLUE REB (LUMIS) x GR NITE CH PKC GOLD CH ACHA WORLD CH BUFFALO CREEK PATCH

GR NITE CH PKC CH CLEAR CREEK MISSY II (Sister to Dual Grand Clear Creek Cadillac Jack and mother of ACHA World Champion PKC Silver CH Raef's Dollar Bill)

Old Post 06-27-2016 06:04 PM
Okie Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Hunter Click here to Send Okie Hunter a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Hunter Find more posts by Okie Hunter Add Okie Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

If the dog is treeing on a big tree, I glance up and look around and one way or another, I decide it's a coon and call it good. I praise the dog and head for the truck. In most cases I can't see the top of the tree anyway. I hunt squirrel too and I learned that it's better to move on and find another than to spend much time looking.

Old Post 06-27-2016 06:28 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 06-27-2016 06:57 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

It amazes me the amount of competition hunters that dont use a red light with the leaves on. I dont care for you to help me shine but if someone in my cast has only a white green or even an amber im taking my two min.
Now, with a super dim white light at a very long distance away a coon will look. When not in a hunt if im treed on a field edge and im walking across a big field ive seen many look from a long distance well before i reach the tree.
Just my experience but not only red color BUT the halo and the big dark spot that alot of people dont like on the Laser Torch Lights actually has played the biggest roll in me finding coons compared the past. Ive had multiple people say that is the best coon finding light they ever seen.

But Hey , we all know sometimes they just wont look even if they are there.

Old Post 06-27-2016 07:13 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ky87
UKC Forum Member

Coons

I'm not that great at finding them either, I hunt with a 67 year old man that sometimes I think he makes coons just appear he's the best I have ever seen at finding them.

Old Post 06-27-2016 07:22 PM
ky87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ky87 Click here to Send ky87 a Private Message Find more posts by ky87 Add ky87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

It's funny...ever notice how no one makes a "possum squaller" no skunk squallers either, to make one run out of the hole!!!I never have any problems whatsoever finding possums in a tree, guaranteed to see every one of them and both of them if it's a nite hunt!!! I don't even have to see the skunk.
It's like the mail...checks always get lost, but they have never once, not a single time ever failed to deliver a bill. I also noticed that it takes a check about 6 days to get here from the next state away, but somehow a bill from Cambodia is always overnight!!!! Big bills are same day air!!!

Old Post 06-27-2016 08:53 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

ongplott, you're not the only one having a problem finding a coon, from what I've seen so are a lot of dogs.

Old Post 06-27-2016 09:42 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ongplott
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by J I Allen
ongplott, you're not the only one having a problem finding a coon, from what I've seen so are a lot of dogs.

I don't think my dog is slicking. With the leaves off he was accurate. When he trees in a tree where I can see the whole tree, the coon is there, however, these giant trees that I can't shine very well I don't see the coon too often. Im saying that even in the small trees I can easily miss one, so in these jumbo trees where I can only shine from right at the base I think its very easy to miss them. Heck even with the leaves off there were a few I really overlooked. I can't really tell if you were reassuring me or sarcastically jabbing so I just kind of answered for both. haha

Old Post 06-28-2016 04:22 AM
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

ongplott, I wasn't talking about you, just coonhounds in general.

Old Post 06-28-2016 02:10 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ongplott
UKC Forum Member

That's kind of what I thought but I couldn't tell

Old Post 06-28-2016 03:00 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ongplott
I don't think my dog is slicking. With the leaves off he was accurate. When he trees in a tree where I can see the whole tree, the coon is there, however, these giant trees that I can't shine very well I don't see the coon too often. Im saying that even in the small trees I can easily miss one, so in these jumbo trees where I can only shine from right at the base I think its very easy to miss them. Heck even with the leaves off there were a few I really overlooked. I can't really tell if you were reassuring me or sarcastically jabbing so I just kind of answered for both. haha

Some people are good at it and some are not. How are you doing it?

I can normally find one but make no mistake the size of the tree doesn't matter. If he doesn't look or his outline is broken up from leafs they are difficult to find.

My gyp treed a tree that wasn't 7 foot tall, I was going to be a real smart alack and bend the tree over to show her nothing was in it. When I did I got a face full of angry coon. So don't think because the tree is little it should be easy to find.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-29-2016 12:18 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by joey

I can normally find one but make no mistake the size of the tree doesn't matter. If he doesn't look or his outline is broken up from leafs they are difficult to find.

My gyp treed a tree that wasn't 7 foot tall, I was going to be a real smart alack and bend the tree over to show her nothing was in it. When I did I got a face full of angry coon. So don't think because the tree is little it should be easy to find.

I just have two questions MIke:

1. That didn't happen last week when you were up this way did it??? We treed somebodies pet chimp up that way years ago, no B.S.

2. You didn't by any chance get it on video to share??????

Old Post 06-29-2016 12:28 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

No it was here and no video but it would have been funny.He ran across my shoulder and down my back. Scratched the crap out of the side of my face. Felt like a real dummy. The dog never even seen it. When I walked up to the tree she was jumping high enough her head was going over the top of where the coon was.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-29-2016 01:51 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

Sounds like something that would happen to me!!!! That is funny.

Old Post 06-29-2016 02:51 AM
ongplott
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey

The first thing I do if I can. Which I rarely can. Is shine a light from a distance on low and hope the coon looks. I then go in and proceed to turn on the bright light and search what I can. Often tInes I can only shine from the base of the tree because of other trees obstructing. I try to find each limb and follow it out but I'm noreally only able to see half a limb. I'll once or twice shut off my light and get quiet then flick on the low light and hope it will look. I will clap bUT they have never looked at that even though I can see them. Unless the coon is sitting in the pocket where all limbs come together halfway up I don't feel like I have a chance in hell of seeing it. I just can't hardly shine the tree. If they don't look. It's not happening.

Old Post 06-29-2016 03:23 AM
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

Biggest thing I've found with me is that accuracy promotes accuracy. A dog I trust makes me way better at finding coon or squirrel in difficult trees because I know they're there.

Young dogs tend to miss more, and when I'm hunting them with leaves on, I know for a fact, that so do I. I'm not willing to spend the time and scrutiny if I'm not convinced they're right, plus I don't want to let them keep on treeing if they indeed are not right.

Old Post 06-29-2016 04:03 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ongplott
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Well Started
Biggest thing I've found with me is that accuracy promotes accuracy. A dog I trust makes me way better at finding coon or squirrel in difficult trees because I know they're there.

Young dogs tend to miss more, and when I'm hunting them with leaves on, I know for a fact, that so do I. I'm not willing to spend the time and scrutiny if I'm not convinced they're right, plus I don't want to let them keep on treeing if they indeed are not right.

I agree. I have had him abut a month and a half. Again. In a tree were I can see everyyhing. The coon is there. He was accurate with the leaves off. I have a really tough time finding coon in small trees. I feel lost in the big oak trees. I honestly don't think I cover much over half the tree. And coons can hide from me very easily. I can see him on my garmin making a small circle checking himself. I'm confident in my dog. I'm not confident in my ability to find them if they don't look. Which even when I find them. Only 2 out 17 or 18 that i have seen actually looked.

Old Post 06-29-2016 04:13 AM
ongplott
UKC Forum Member

I would stay there all night and shine because I know there's one there. But I get hot. He gets hot. And I really don't feel I can shine anymore of the tree. It's just too obstructed or thick.

Old Post 06-29-2016 04:17 AM
Southbound
UKC Forum Member

I saw a coon climb a tree last night. Once it climbed, I could not find it again. I shined for ten minutes without ever seeing it again.

I turned a cage coon loose a few years ago in broad daylight. Watched it climb. Never saw it again.

Old Post 06-29-2016 04:30 AM
Southbound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Southbound Click here to Send Southbound a Private Message Click Here to Email Southbound Find more posts by Southbound Add Southbound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ongplott
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Southbound
I saw a coon climb a tree last night. Once it climbed, I could not find it again. I shined for ten minutes without ever seeing it again.

I turned a cage coon loose a few years ago in broad daylight. Watched it climb. Never saw it again.

From a pretty new coon hunters point of view. I can't believe how easily a coon can hide and be missed in a tree. The first time I ever went. Leaves off. I thought. Holy crap. I hardly saw that thing and it was on a totally bare limb. Wished coons were as easy to see as opossums are. When I went a few years ago I always found the opossums. On the tiny tree on the first limb lol.

Old Post 06-29-2016 04:39 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

I would spend more time with the low light. Cover every opening you can find with a low light before you ever go to high. Pulling vines works well if you have someone with you. The main thing is keep your light low. Sometimes he will not look and then there he is. I always circle a tree twice before I use a bright light.

Home Of:

Old Post 06-29-2016 06:16 AM