UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Where to start...
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Matt D
New UKC Forum Member

Where to start...

Looking to get a puppy to start coon hunting with my kids. Familiar and experienced with dogs and hounds, but this will be my first go at a coonhound. Coon hunted some when I was young, but I am basically starting from scratch. My kids, daughter 8 and son 5, love being outdoors and have been on their fair share of hunting adventures thus far. Used to run a pack of hog dogs and loved it, but too much and too dangerous to involve the little ones. I have also trained a lab to a finished and titled level. Only saying to express that I am not a novice around dogs, just around coon hounds haha.

I feel like starting with a pup and involving the kids in the training process will be the way to go. I had plott hounds before as hog dogs and really enjoyed/was impressed with them, but am not partial to a certain breed. I plan to order Walk with Wicks to read and already have a Garmin Astro 320 with a DC50 collar. Have the basics of boots, chaps, dog box, and lights.

Hope to get a pup in the late winter/spring and work to try and have running next fall. Thoughts, experience, pointers.... all accepted and appreciated. Sorry to start so vague and open ended, but figured I needed to start somewhere....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-09-2018 07:44 PM
Matt D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt D Click here to Send Matt D a Private Message Find more posts by Matt D Add Matt D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Start with a dog that is already running and treeing for your first dog. When you have some experience with coonhounds, then get a pup. Experienced coonhunters have problems with pups. It is tuff for a brand new coon hunter to try and start right out with one.

Old Post 12-09-2018 07:52 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Greg Coots
UKC Forum Member

Just my opinion here.... forget a pup and buy you a an old dog maybe 8 or 9 years old that trees coons and is tone broke to come in when you want him to. You can find one usually about the same price as a good bred pup and if you are taking kids hunting they will stay more interested with that kind of dog.

Old Post 12-09-2018 08:11 PM
Greg Coots is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Coots Click here to Send Greg Coots a Private Message Click Here to Email Greg Coots Find more posts by Greg Coots Add Greg Coots to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Coots
Just my opinion here.... forget a pup and buy you a an old dog maybe 8 or 9 years old that trees coons and is tone broke to come in when you want him to. You can find one usually about the same price as a good bred pup and if you are taking kids hunting they will stay more interested with that kind of dog.

Or you could get 2. An old dog that trees coons now that you and your kids can have fun hunting and puppy to start from scratch.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-09-2018 08:30 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Forget the pup for now. Cut your teeth on an old dog for a year. If you still have the itch then scratch it with a pup. Jmho

Old Post 12-09-2018 08:39 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt D
New UKC Forum Member

My reasoning for wanting to go pup was because I have purchased finished and started dogs (not coon dogs) before, some worked abdbsome didn’t, and I feel like there is a lot to say for the bond one creates during the upbringing and training process. At the same time, I completely understand where everyone is coming from and the reasons behind it.

What’s the longevity on an average coon hound as far as picking up what most refer to as a “pup trainer” to hunt? I know that is a loaded question as well as each dog is different. What to look for in buying one? Best route to pursue in finding one.... other than classifieds here of course . Also I am located in the low country of South Carolina, would an older experienced dog not used to flat, swampy areas have an issue making the transition?
Thank you gentlmen for the help and your time

Old Post 12-09-2018 10:02 PM
Matt D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt D Click here to Send Matt D a Private Message Find more posts by Matt D Add Matt D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I think most are saying to get an older broke dog because of the kids. With a pup the kids may get discouraged quickly going time after time and not treeing anything...

On the other hand it is very exciting to watch a pup progress each time out and treeing its first coon leaves you with a memory for LIFE.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 12-09-2018 10:15 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

broke dog

I don't care how good he sounds over the phone...Don't take it without going to the woods at least one night. The majority for sale on here are probably not what you want, but txt messages and phone calls back and forth will make you think your really getting something when good chance you'll end up not happy.

Old Post 12-09-2018 10:17 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt D
New UKC Forum Member

Re: broke dog

quote:
Originally posted by RatDog
I don't care how good he sounds over the phone...Don't take it without going to the woods at least one night. The majority for sale on here are probably not what you want, but txt messages and phone calls back and forth will make you think your really getting something when good chance you'll end up not happy.

Solid advice. Thank you

Old Post 12-09-2018 10:48 PM
Matt D
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
I think most are saying to get an older broke dog because of the kids. With a pup the kids may get discouraged quickly going time after time and not treeing anything...

On the other hand it is very exciting to watch a pup progress each time out and treeing its first coon leaves you with a memory for LIFE.

Interesting you worded it that way as my thought was the kids would rather see “their dog” do the work than just follow “a dog” thru the woods.

So if we were to take the kids involvement out of the discussion, would you gentlemen still give the same advice of going with an older dog?

Old Post 12-09-2018 10:50 PM
Mike Mckinney
UKC Forum Member

What part of SC.

Old Post 12-09-2018 10:55 PM
Mike Mckinney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Mckinney Click here to Send Mike Mckinney a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Mckinney Find more posts by Mike Mckinney Add Mike Mckinney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt D
New UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mckinney
What part of SC.

Summerville, about 25 miles west of Charleston. Originally from outside of Greenville.

Old Post 12-09-2018 11:52 PM
Cliff Thornburg
UKC Forum Member

2 cents

IMO most kids when they are out hunting want to tree coons. Which is basically the opposite of what you do with pups.

Where the red fern grows is cute but when the kids won’t go with you anymore because that endearing pup is running trash or not running anything, it isnt much fun. Kids don’t want a project. They want coons In trees. They want action. They don’t care if that pup out of insane triple x is promising or not.
Now if it is really about you and your project, that is something entirely different.
I don’t think most kids even care if it is your dog. I would find someone who will let me tag along and get some fur out to hounds and see how kids like it. I would go to a club and see what people are hunting. Everyone has too many dogs so that is where I’d start.

I like hunting pups but I have kids so I don’t. I can’t have too many projects going at once in the woods and an old known dog is a known quantity. I try to take as many variables out of a good time as possible.
Most people on here ask for advice and then just do what they want to, so good luck with your pup. I’d pick something out of tree stock if you dont have a pup trainer.

Last edited by Cliff Thornburg on 12-10-2018 at 12:32 AM

Old Post 12-10-2018 12:17 AM
Cliff Thornburg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff Thornburg Click here to Send Cliff Thornburg a Private Message Visit Cliff Thornburg's homepage! Find more posts by Cliff Thornburg Add Cliff Thornburg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

I'd second all the above advice about getting a trained dog, and I'd go a step further. Seek out an experienced coonhunter in your area and tag along a few times. If possible, have him go with you and look at a couple seasoned dogs to help you make your buying decision.
A good place to start would be looking at upcoming events, and going to a local hunt. Just walk up and introduce yourself, and maybe tag along on a hunt as a spectator. Coonhunters are some of the best people in the world, and most would be happy to help you get started. A grizzled veteran as a mentor will save you tons of hours of frustration.

Old Post 12-10-2018 01:42 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

I definitely agree with starting out with a dog already trained for 2 reasons. One is it's a lot easier to train a pup with another dog. Second reason is no matter what bloodline they're from and no matter how much work and training you put into a pup sometimes they don't workout. Coonhounds are a little different than other hunting dogs as far as training, I think some are natural and some will never do anything no matter what

If you buy a started dog definitely see it in in the woods before any money changes hands. Unfortunately there are lots of crooked dog traders that won't hesitate to lie and take your money.

Old Post 12-10-2018 02:11 AM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt D
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks to everyone who took the time to response. I am now reconsidering my starting point and switching gears on the direction I want to go as far as finding a dog. If anyone else has anything to add, please do!!

Old Post 12-10-2018 03:55 AM
Moderator III
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by trkrmsy

If you buy a started dog definitely see it in in the woods before any money changes hands. Unfortunately there are lots of crooked dog traders that won't hesitate to lie and take your money.

Heed this man's statement , there are several crooks working on this board . Keep your eyes and ears open and your hand on your wallet .

Old Post 12-10-2018 04:40 AM
Moderator III is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Moderator III Click here to Send Moderator III a Private Message Find more posts by Moderator III Add Moderator III to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Being where you live a decent pup shouldn’t be too hard to start, thick coons in that part of the state but I suggest going with the old dog route and buying a pup to start along side of it

Old Post 12-10-2018 05:48 PM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

You asked about age and longevity. Start around a 7 year old or 8 and you should get 2 to 4 years as long of great hard hunting unless a comp hunter has ran the wheels off. Jmho

Old Post 12-10-2018 06:06 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rudedog
UKC Forum Member

my opinion ..find a coon club in your area and hook up with a few members everyone likes to take new folks and kids hunting and see if its for you before you spend your hard earned money

Old Post 12-10-2018 07:38 PM
rudedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rudedog Click here to Send rudedog a Private Message Find more posts by rudedog Add rudedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote